PDA

View Full Version : Film Room: Alejandro Villanueva’s Maturation Evident In Late-Season Victory

Shoes
12-29-2016, 06:25 PM
We haven’t really talked a whole lot about Alejandro Villanueva this season, the Pittsburgh Steelers’ primary starting left tackle for the past two seasons. He is at a point in his career in which his backstory doesn’t need to be retreaded in every discussion about him. His play now speaks for itself. And it has a lot better things to saw lately in comparison to the start of the season.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/12/film-room-alejandro-villanuevas-maturation-evident-late-season-victory/

GoSlash27
12-29-2016, 06:32 PM
I used to joke that Villanueva would draw a penalty every time that USAA commercial came on, but he's been solid in the second half of the season.

Count Steeler
12-29-2016, 06:34 PM
Hope he gets a TD in the playoffs. May be a surprise in the SB. He was originally a TE.

Shoes
12-29-2016, 06:45 PM
Hope he gets a TD in the playoffs. May be a surprise in the SB. He was originally a TE.

AB or Bell to Big Al, that would be sweet!

Craic
12-29-2016, 06:52 PM
I really need to get my eyes checked.

Let's just say . . . I didn't read maturation​ correctly.

salamander
12-29-2016, 06:56 PM

I think it's time for Craic to go to bed. :chuckle:

zulater
12-29-2016, 07:25 PM
AV most likely will never be All Pro, but he's been shutting down some of the best edge rushers all year. A well above average LT, who's arrow is still pointing up. And better yet you manned a vital position without having to use an early draft choice (any for that matter :lol: ) or delegating a great deal of your salary cap. Great find Steelers! And great man!

GBMelBlount
12-29-2016, 07:28 PM
Villaneuva is a great story.

Has anyone heard how his teeny brother's tryout went earlier this week?

- - - Updated - - -

and lock the door! :wink02:

tube517
12-29-2016, 09:05 PM
Only Cheerleaders find guys like AV... :cheer2: :chuckle:

#CRASHFormation
12-29-2016, 09:40 PM
He needs to stop getting pushed back into Ben, that happens a lot and was why pick #1 happened.

I'll also give Haley credit, he had Bell chip Suggs on AB's TD. In the past Haley has left his raw LT's one on one in big spots with premiere rushers and it's cost them.

tube517
12-29-2016, 10:45 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJh47LybCkU :jerkit: :chuckle:

Mojouw
12-29-2016, 11:05 PM
AV biggest problem is simply how big he is. He has to bend weird to maintain leverage. It gets his movement all screwy sometimes.

Same with McCullers on D. Sometimes being a damn mountain is difficult

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#CRASHFormation
12-29-2016, 11:30 PM
I think going forward McCullers in his new condition is going to kick ass in a 4-3 defense, at end.

zulater
12-30-2016, 06:32 AM
He needs to stop getting pushed back into Ben, that happens a lot and was why pick #1 happened.

I'll also give Haley credit, he had Bell chip Suggs on AB's TD. In the past Haley has left his raw LT's one on one in big spots with premiere rushers and it's cost them.

First off Ben only got sacked 17 times this season, yeah there were times AV got pushed back into Ben's path, but the other guy's getting paid too. As a left tackle quite often you go up against the opponents best edge rusher. My recollection is even going back to last year against top defenses like Denver, Ben's been afforded a reasonable amount of time to get off his passes.

Secondly, yeah they were a couple plays where they gave AV help with Suggs. But there were plenty of times that he was left out on the island alone and AV kept him (Suggs) at bay throughout the game. Truth is the offensive lineman who was given the most help and struggled through much of the game against the Ravens was Pouncey, who looked overmatched against Brandon Williams much of the game. Nothing against Pouncey but his lack of bulk tends to work against him when he's matched up against the league's stronger dt's and nose tackles.

My thought is the Steelers are very satisfied with the play of AV. Further I would wager the plan is for him to be the starting left tackle for the next several seasons at the very least.

pczach
12-30-2016, 06:42 AM
First off Ben only got sacked 17 times this season, yeah there were times AV got pushed back into Ben's path, but the other guy's getting paid too. As a left tackle quite often you go up against the opponents best edge rusher. My recollection is even going back to last year against top defenses like Denver, Ben's been afforded a reasonable amount of time to get off his passes.

Secondly, yeah they were a couple plays where they gave AV help with Suggs. But there were plenty of times that he was left out on the island alone and AV kept him (Suggs) at bay throughout the game. Truth is the offensive lineman who was given the most help and struggled through much of the game against the Ravens was Pouncey, who looked overmatched against Brandon Williams much of the game. Nothing against Pouncey but his lack of bulk tends to work against him when he's matched up against the league's stronger dt's and nose tackles.

My thought is the Steelers are very satisfied with the play of AV. Further I would wager the plan is for him to be the starting left tackle for the next several seasons at the very least.

I agree. I think the Steelers are very happy with his play. He's not dominant, but he has improved the entire time he has been with the team.

AV is still learning the position. He isn't a guy that has been playing OT for his entire career and working on his craft. This is a guy that played other positions over his career. He has only been an OT for a short period of time. His technique and his training to improve himself is a work in progress. He is going to continue to get better.

86WARD
12-30-2016, 06:49 AM
I have been watching AV a lot he was a bit of a letdown at the beginning of the season, especially after he handled the Broncos defense so well in the playoffs. But the guy stepped up and has been more than anyone could ask for there. He's been solid.

zulater
12-30-2016, 07:09 AM
By the way, just rewatched Ben's first interception in the Ravens game. The assertion that AV was responsible for that "pick" is beyond ridiculous. Ben could easily have thrown the ball away or reset and looked for another receiver. He was in no immediate danger of getting sacked. My opinion is Ben saw what he wanted to see and thought he had 82 open. He either threw a bad pass or had anticipated Johnson running the route further across the field. My opinion is that it was more a miscommunication thing between he and Johnson than anything.

SteelerFanInStl
12-30-2016, 09:33 AM
By the way, just rewatched Ben's first interception in the Ravens game. The assertion that AV was responsible for that "pick" is beyond ridiculous. Ben could easily have thrown the ball away or reset and looked for another receiver. He was in no immediate danger of getting sacked. My opinion is Ben saw what he wanted to see and thought he had 82 open. He either threw a bad pass or had anticipated Johnson running the route further across the field. My opinion is that it was more a miscommunication thing between he and Johnson than anything.

The biggest issue that I saw on that play when it happened live was Johnson getting grabbed by the linebacker when he made his cut. If he weren't held, I don't think that pick happens. It wasn't a great pass, but I don't think it's a pick if Johnson wasn't held.

zulater
12-30-2016, 10:07 AM
The biggest issue that I saw on that play when it happened live was Johnson getting grabbed by the linebacker when he made his cut. If he weren't held, I don't think that pick happens. It wasn't a great pass, but I don't think it's a pick if Johnson wasn't held.

Good point.

#CRASHFormation
12-30-2016, 10:34 AM
By the way, just rewatched Ben's first interception in the Ravens game. The assertion that AV was responsible for that "pick" is beyond ridiculous. Ben could easily have thrown the ball away or reset and looked for another receiver.

Thowing the ball away from the pocket is intentional grounding.

He disrupted Ben's footwork.

Who's he going to throw to? Roosevelt Nix?

Just another cute Haley formation that blew up in his face. Just like the 4th down play in Denver last season, just like the biggest 3rd down in 2013.

How about, just stop trying to be clever and just keep the slugs on the bench?

zulater
12-30-2016, 10:42 AM
Thowing the ball away from the pocket is intentional grounding.

He disrupted Ben's footwork.

Who's he going to throw to? Roosevelt Nix?

Just another cute Haley formation that blew up in his face.

How about, just stop trying to be clever and just keep the slugs on the bench?

His footwork was temporarily disrupted but he had time to reset and look downfield if he had chosen to. I think he was comfortable with the target at the time and I think he felt confident in his ability to throw an accurate pass. AV's man definitely maneuvered inside of him briefly but within a second AV managed to regain enough control that Ben was in no imminent danger. Wasn't a perfect block by any measure, but wasn't so bad as to be considered the cause of an interception imo.

Mojouw
12-31-2016, 02:04 PM
But has he matured into Joe Thomas?

tube517
12-31-2016, 02:10 PM
But has he matured into Joe Thomas?

Does Joe Thomas work at Pizza Hut?

GBMelBlount
12-31-2016, 02:47 PM
His footwork was temporarily disrupted but he had time to reset and look downfield if he had chosen to. I think he was comfortable with the target at the time and I think he felt confident in his ability to throw an accurate pass. AV's man definitely maneuvered inside of him briefly but within a second AV managed to regain enough control that Ben was in no imminent danger. Wasn't a perfect block by any measure, but wasn't so bad as to be considered the cause of an interception imo.

I believe the proper terminolgy is footwork interruptus followed by premature epassulation.

It's treatable.

86WARD
12-31-2016, 03:14 PM
Does Joe Thomas work at Pizza Hut?

If he did, he'd help you reach the boxes!!!

#CRASHFormation
12-31-2016, 03:16 PM
If he did, he'd help you reach the boxes!!!

I'm not short I'm just under tall and big boned.

ALLD
12-31-2016, 03:27 PM

Or time for Craic to get a girlfriend.

Steeldude
12-31-2016, 03:36 PM
He is getting better. That height is hard to overcome.

I was going to say spend a late round pick on a tackle, but I remembered Hawkins is on IR.

Psycho Ward 86
12-31-2016, 09:28 PM
holy fuck. that pull to the opposite side was insane. how many LT's can do that?