PDA

View Full Version : A few end of regular season thoughts

zulater
12-29-2016, 07:13 AM
Given Ladarius Green's concussion history, add in the fact he still hasn't cleared the concussion protocol (last I heard anyway) I fear that we wont see him on the field again this season. Hope I'm wrong on this one.

Remember Kelvin Beachum anyone? :lol: Nothing against Beachum but I think he had physical limitations that would always render him as a middling starter at best. Contrast that with Alejandro Villanueva. The guy came into this season pretty raw. But as the season's progressed so has his play. Watching his play throughout the season I would say he's already an above average left tackle and his play is ascending.

I know David DeCastro has committed a lot of penalties this year. I also know there were a couple early season games he struggled in (Eagles game in particular) but at his best as he's been the past several weeks, he's the real deal, every bit as great as Alan Faneca, and well worth the contract invested in him.

If there's a better right tackle in the league than Marcus Gilbert I'd like to know who he is? This is the unsung hero of this team. Remember when he struggled his first few seasons and we all wanted to run him out of town. :doh: Not anymore. He's great in all facets of the game.

Ramon Foster 8 years in and he had his best season!

A healthy Stephon Tuitt is essential for the Steelers to have a chance for an extended post season run. The Steelers ability to control the run gets a lot easier when he's gobbling up double teams. Also he's an improving pass rusher and he has a knack for getting his arms in the qb's line of vision and altering passes.

It's hard to predict how rookies are going to perform in the post season, no matter how good they've been. That aside the Steelers rookie defensive trio of Artie Burns, Sean Davis, and Javon Hargrove really bodes well for next season and beyond. Throw in the quality play Bud Dupree has exhibited since coming off the injury list, and you can really get excited about where this defense is headed. And hey who knows maybe Senquez Golson actually sees the field next year?

Assuming everything else stays in place, and that a year away from the game wont have diminished his skills and he can keep himself clean, adding Martavis Bryant back to the mix of this offense will give us that 30+ point a game offense the Steelers thought they might have this year. Eli
Rogers has proven himself a keeper and a healthy Sammy Coates might have a role in this offense going forward, but still they're not "it" guys.
Bryant is. He instill fear in defense and will open up lanes for other receivers and even the running game.

The Steelers could win the Super Bowl this year and I will still likely believe that the 2017 season will be the best overall Steeler team in the Roethlisberger era.

86WARD
12-29-2016, 08:55 AM
Green is practicing which is part of the protocol but it's a step in the right direction...hopefully...

43Hitman
12-29-2016, 09:22 AM
Good news about Green, here's to hoping he keeps moving forward.

Born2Steel
12-29-2016, 09:30 AM
Curious to know how you guys feel about Butler's defense at this point. As has been posted, a lot of rookies playing. Lebeau was not one to play his rookies year 1, so there is that difference. But scheme-wise, personnel-wise, how has Coach Butler met expectations?

polamalubeast
12-29-2016, 09:34 AM
Curious to know how you guys feel about Butler's defense at this point. As has been posted, a lot of rookies playing. Lebeau was not one to play his rookies year 1, so there is that difference. But scheme-wise, personnel-wise, how has Coach Butler met expectations?

The steelers are in the top 10 in points and Yards on defense this year.But they were also less often on the field than last year.

pczach
12-29-2016, 09:57 AM

Hargrave, Burns, and Davis are starting and improving- Rookies

Dupree, Chickillo, Tuitt, Dangerfield, Gilbert, Golson, Cockrell, L.J. Fort, Matakevich, Maxey, McCullers, Shabazz, Shazier, L.T. Walton- 3 years experience or less

Jarvis Jones, V Williams- 4th year

Golden- 5th year

Heyward- 6th year

This team is extremely young, particularly on defense. Everyone listed above will continue to improve. Some will be released for upgrades.

All I know is that the team is in a very good spot right now. What's not to like about the future of this defense?

Rotorhead
12-29-2016, 11:37 AM
I agree with pczach, the defense will be one of the best in the next year or two. Our OL and WR's are great, we have the top RB in the league. Our SB window will be there for a few more years, 2017 (barring injuries and Martavus getting back) could be our best year in a long time.

Moose
12-29-2016, 02:18 PM
I think this team is definitely heading in the right direction. If we could land a decent backup QB for the future making ( Ben's health scares me), learn to tackle consistently, get a pass rush in place, and keep the special team improving'....I see no stopping us. GO Steeler's.

polamalubeast
12-29-2016, 03:15 PM
I hope in the coming years, Bell and Bryant will stop making the same stupid and be suspended in the first few games of the season.Bell is a very good person and he's going to have a lot of money and he'll be a HOF players if he continues to be great like that on the field but Bell must stop making the same mistakes....I am confident that Bell can stop making the same mistakes since he is a very good person.

Bryant is also a very talented player and I hope he will not do his same stupidity otherwise he will lose a lot of million and he will be the big loser in that.I am less confident in the case of Bryant that I am in the case of Bell, but we'll see.

For the 30 points per game, I hope that the players will not give that as goal next year again.I prefer that the team be focused on winning than to score 30 points per game and scored 30 points per game is very hard to do.Only the Falcons scored 30 points per game this year and no other team were close to doing so.

polamalubeast
12-29-2016, 04:13 PM

#CRASHFormation
12-30-2016, 11:47 AM
The steelers are in the top 10 in points and Yards on defense this year.But they were also less often on the field than last year.

Just like in 2004-11.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel bad for Green. Watching him trying to run is PAINFUL. Comparing him now to his Chargers days the difference is noticeable.

Getting by on guts and guile.

Rotorhead
12-30-2016, 04:25 PM
Well our off season priorities are clear. Other then extensions, we need a dominant OLB and a solid #2WR and then probably a TE. We can draft the WR and TE. I certainly hope we go out and pick up a pass rusher FA. So far our FA's have been pretty much a failure with injuries and no playing time, so we have to hit on one eventually right? Well next year it will hopefully be a top level pass rusher. We have that spectre of being a SB contender for a couple more years, and while that doesnt seem to make a different to some players, hopefully there is a D Ware type player looking to get that elusive ring finally and willing to play out the final few years out in Pittsburgh chasing that dream.

polamalubeast
12-30-2016, 04:38 PM
Well our off season priorities are clear. Other then extensions, we need a dominant OLB and a solid #2WR and then probably a TE. We can draft the WR and TE. I certainly hope we go out and pick up a pass rusher FA. So far our FA's have been pretty much a failure with injuries and no playing time, so we have to hit on one eventually right? Well next year it will hopefully be a top level pass rusher. We have that spectre of being a SB contender for a couple more years, and while that doesnt seem to make a different to some players, hopefully there is a D Ware type player looking to get that elusive ring finally and willing to play out the final few years out in Pittsburgh chasing that dream.

The WRs could be a strength for the steelers next year if Bryant is not suspended again.Bryant is a special talent.

But of course, the steelers need a TE and especially an OLB.But this is very unlikely that the steelers will go in the free agent to find their OLB, especially that the price will be too high.The steelers need to keep their money for Antonio and Le'Veon....

#CRASHFormation
12-30-2016, 04:51 PM
They don't need a tight end if it's James and three wides as the base offense.

Just a serviceable backup with James' skill set.

They are gonna tag LeVeon IMO. I don't think he's going to get a long term deal from them yet.

GBMelBlount
12-30-2016, 04:53 PM
The WRs could be a strength for the steelers next year if Bryant is not suspended again.Bryant is a special talent.

But of course, the steelers need a TE and especially an OLB.But this is very unlikely that the steelers will go in the free agent to find their OLB, especially that the price will be too high.The steelers need to keep their money for Antonio and Le'Veon....

With how good Munchak is at developing quality linemen I wonder if it is worth looking into trading one of our top linemen for that missing piece on defense.

polamalubeast
12-30-2016, 04:59 PM
With how good Munchak is at developing quality linemen I wonder if it is worth looking into trading one of our top linemen for that missing piece on defense.

It will not happen.

It does not work like that in the nfl and the steelers have always been very conservative to make major trade.And they never trade up or trade down their first round pick since Tomlin is here.

#CRASHFormation
12-30-2016, 05:04 PM
I was hoping we'd go after Joe Thomas THIS season.

polamalubeast
12-30-2016, 05:09 PM
I was hoping we'd go after Joe Thomas THIS season.

Why?

The price would have been too high(Draft pick and his salary..) and the o-line is a strength for the steelers

If it would be for a TE or another WR, I would agree ...

#CRASHFormation
12-30-2016, 05:12 PM
Because the Browns are rebuilding, he's a top 3 LT, and by the time the Browns get good he's gonna be done anyway. LT isn't a strength. It's a nice story, but AV is the worst linemen on the unit.

The cap is of no issue, we have tons of room.

I would have offered them a 2017 #2 draft pick, with a conditional clause that makes it a #1 if we reach the AFC title game.

They would have taken it.

polamalubeast
12-30-2016, 05:17 PM
Because the Browns are rebuilding, he's a top 3 LT, and by the time the Browns get good he's gonna be done anyway. LT isn't a strength. It's a nice story, but AV is the worst linemen on the unit.

The cap is of no issue, we have tons of room.

I would have offered them a 2017 #2 draft pick, with a conditional clause that makes it a #1 if we reach the AFC title game.

They would have taken it.

AV is the worst lineman of group because the other 4 players are very solid.

If the Steelers want to improve their offense, TE and WR would be a better decision because after Brown, the Steelers have just undrafted players in this group.

Fortunately Bryant will probably be back next year ...

#CRASHFormation
12-30-2016, 05:22 PM

Cop out. We trade for Thomas? He's no lower than #2.

GBMelBlount
12-30-2016, 06:58 PM
It will not happen.

It does not work like that in the nfl and the steelers have always been very conservative to make major trade.And they never trade up or trade down their first round pick since Tomlin is here.

A top shelf pass rusher is arguably the most valuable player next to the QB.

So if we had an opportunity to trade any of our offensive linemen for a top pass rusher I think it would be worth considering.

Otherwise I think we should strongly consider drafting one or two edge rushers next year because the draft is deep there.

2) Designated pass rusher 1 (RDE/ROLB)

Given the importance of the quarterback position on the outcome of games, every team must have a defensive playmaker along the front line with the potential to disrupt the timing and rhythm of the passing game. Sacks and quarterback pressures are coveted at a premium, making blind-side pass rushers hot commodities on the open market. Since most signal callers are right-handed, the game's top pass rushers typically align at RDE or ROLB to attack from the back side. J.J. Watt, listed as a notable example just below, is a bit unique, as he moves all over the D-line, but how could I construct a file about positional importance without mentioning the most dominant defensive player in the game today?

» J.J. Watt, Houston Texans
» Robert Quinn, St. Louis Rams
» Jason Pierre-Paul, New York Giants

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000503855/article/ranking-each-positions-importance-from-quarterback-to-returner

Shoes
12-30-2016, 10:55 PM

If the Steelers want to improve their offense, TE and WR would be a better decision because after Brown, the Steelers have just undrafted players in this group.

Fortunately Bryant will probably be back next year ...

Agreed. As for the TE, James is about the only stable one in the flock. Green's health/durability has probably raised a lot of questions in the minds of the FO & coaching staff. Grimble isn't a good blocker and has the drop-catch Coates disease. Maybe in R3 or R4 they can get one.

The bell ringer
12-31-2016, 12:10 AM
Green is practicing which is part of the protocol but it's a step in the right direction...hopefully...

I would personally rest him til at least the Divisional round of the playoffs. Cause truth is, if Ladarius Green is the reason why we might lose to Miami in PITTSBURGH...then bottom line...we weren't gonna do Crap in the playoffs anyways. I think it's more Important that we definitely get him completely healthy for a potential match-up with the Patriots....maybe KC if we have to face them in week 2 at KC. But in reality...we shouldn't have to need him to beat Miami at Home, and maybe a weakened Raider team in round 2. I mean it's " Ladarius Green "...NOT Ben, Bell or Brown.