PDA

View Full Version : As it goes to WR Depth on our team....

The bell ringer
12-27-2016, 12:13 PM
I know some here really wanted the Steelers to claim Michael Floyd. But I always said that Character kinda matters. And that he would have been a disaster for us. However, as much as I love what Eli Rogers has done. And as much as I like my own Boy Demarcus Ayers. Not to mention our only other WR Cobi Hamilton. In reality, beside Coates...who even he is not too good yet. Yes he has physical skills, but he is not a true tested NFL WR.

All we really have is Antonio, then Coates and Rogers. But, if any of them god forbid go down, do you really think that a DHB or Hamilton, or even my Boy Ayers will be better then a truly TESTED NFL Vet WR ? So with that said..I know it might be too late now to consider it. But say a few weeks back, when we knew we didn't have Wheaton any more, and with nothing in the 4-6 WR's that have really proved anything yet. I ask Steeler fans here....would " Nate Washington " returning for the rest of the season be a good idea ?

I mean it's not like he has been out of the league for years...he played last year in Houston, and actually had like 650 yards and 4 or 5 TD's. In fact, as short as a few months back, wasn't he actually In New England ? Okay, obviously a lot would have to do with what Nate's current health is, and his own desire. But really, he does have some History here. He always had a good Attitude, and he has at least SOME past working History with Ben.

So just as a " Safety Valve " kinda thing. Wouldn't have signing Nate Washington been a good idea moving forward ?

Thanks.

st33lersguy
12-27-2016, 12:29 PM
No thank you, he wasn't that good. We aren't getting much signing him

The bell ringer
12-27-2016, 12:51 PM
No thank you, he wasn't that good. We aren't getting much signing him

He is a lot better then Michael Floyd. And he has experience that the youngsters don't have. I am rooting for them of course. I mean what choice do we have ? I know that Washington is not an option...I was just asking if he could have been a few weeks back as a roster addition...would fans have liked it.

tube517
12-27-2016, 01:14 PM
Someone just said what good would it be if Martavis Bryant came back now??? Same w/Nate. He hasn't played at all this year.

And the talent level and youth would be on Bongtavious' side not Washington.

Nate is useless.

fansince'76
12-27-2016, 01:27 PM
What's the prognosis on Coates' broken fingers? He was playing pretty well before the injury.

tube517
12-27-2016, 01:32 PM
What's the prognosis on Coates' broken fingers? He was playing pretty well before the injury.

Seems like he was improving but he had a different injury this past week. Him and Green have 2 weeks to rest up before the playoffs. Hopefully they can come back and be contributors

Shoes
12-27-2016, 01:39 PM
Have to do with what we have. Brady has been carving up everyone with no name receivers. The latest, 3rd string TE Matt Lengel who had his first career catch & TD against the jets.

ALLD
12-27-2016, 01:41 PM
Bell is our #2 receiver. We just need a tall, deep threat.

tube517
12-27-2016, 01:43 PM
Have to do with what we have. Brady has been carving up everyone with no name receivers. The latest, 3rd string TE Matt Lengel who had his first career catch & TD against the jets.

We've haven't done too bad w/UFA Eli Rogers...5th round pick The Outlaw...PS player Cobi Hamilton.....UFA and journeyman Xavier Grimble......7th round 4.75 DeMarcus Ayers even contributed.

Shoes
12-27-2016, 01:47 PM
We've haven't done too bad w/UFA Eli Rogers...5th round pick The Outlaw...PS player Cobi Hamilton.....UFA and journeyman Xavier Grimble......7th round 4.75 DeMarcus Ayers even contributed.

I like them all, but still want a TE in the draft. :chuckle:

Count Steeler
12-27-2016, 01:48 PM
With Williams coming back, Bell can be used as a slot/WR as well. While not the best list that we could muster, with the O Line and Ben staying clean, I like our chances. Without Nate Washington.

tube517
12-27-2016, 01:49 PM
I like them all, but still want a TE in the draft. :chuckle:

I know a certain Hokie TE that you like....:thumbsup:

Shoes
12-27-2016, 01:53 PM

We can dream! :chuckle:

Craic
12-27-2016, 01:56 PM
Snip
Our system has changed too much since he played here. I'd take a first year who has been in our playbook since training camp over him. On top of which, he catches only about half the passes thrown (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WashNa00.htm) to him. DHB has a better reception rate over the last three years (not counting this year as he's only had nine passes come his way, so the stats are too small to really mean anything this year).

Beyond DHB, as much as I dislike Jesse James as a passblocker, and although he is slow off the line, he also has good reception rate - over 70 percent last year and around 65 percent this year. I'd rather see us line up in a two tight-end set and then send him out as a third receiver.
The

The bell ringer
12-27-2016, 01:59 PM
We're not taking a TE in the draft. At least not early on. So get over it. With Harrison maybe gone, and getting up there. And with Jones leaving ( Thank God )...a Edge rushing OLB/DE is priority # 1. Then maybe another DL or DB.

86WARD
12-27-2016, 06:29 PM
Bell is our #2 receiver. We just need a tall, deep threat.

No we don't. They won two Super Bowls without that type...

Shoes
12-27-2016, 06:56 PM
We're not taking a TE in the draft. At least not early on. So get over it. With Harrison maybe gone, and getting up there. And with Jones leaving ( Thank God )...a Edge rushing OLB/DE is priority # 1. Then maybe another DL or DB.

First you say the Steelers will not take a TE in this draft, then you say at least not early on. Which is it? No one on this forum, that I can recall is calling for a TE in R1 or R2 in the 2017 draft. But if Bucky Hodges or Jake Butt are available in R3 0r R4 I'd take them in a heart beat especially Hodges. Green, James & Grimble are not good blockers. Green is a question mark in my mind, Grimble is a lot like Coates, catch a few, drop a few. James seems to be the most stable, but the position needs help.

The bell ringer
12-27-2016, 07:27 PM
First you say the Steelers will not take a TE in this draft, then you say at least not early on. Which is it? No one on this forum, that I can recall is calling for a TE in R1 or R2 in the 2017 draft. But if Bucky Hodges or Jake Butt are available in R3 0r R4 I'd take them in a heart beat especially Hodges. Green, James & Grimble are not good blockers. Green is a question mark in my mind, Grimble is a lot like Coates, catch a few, drop a few. James seems to be the most stable, but the position needs help.

Well they might take one really late, just to push Grimble. And remember, if Green is not ready to go..and his last concussion he did not play for 6 weeks...The Steelers might wanna think about letting him go. But as for the first 4 rounds...no. They won't even consider a TE. A WR yes...but not a TE.

Shoes
12-27-2016, 07:35 PM
Well they might take one really late, just to push Grimble. And remember, if Green is not ready to go..and his last concussion he did not play for 6 weeks...The Steelers might wanna think about letting him go. But as for the first 4 rounds...no. They won't even consider a TE. A WR yes...but not a TE.

Green concerns me he has that Mendenhall, Cortez Allen, Mike Adams gaze in his eyes! :chuckle: Late round TE haven't worked out very well. I don't know who the Steelers will take but do think Hodges is in Tomlins mind.

Born2Steel
12-27-2016, 08:00 PM
Some decent TEs in the FA pool for next season. When is the draft value ever right for an unknown/untested college TE?

tube517
12-27-2016, 10:28 PM

If Jake ever fumbles.......

cubanstogie
12-28-2016, 01:59 PM
Cole Hikutini of Louiville is my pick.