PDA

View Full Version : Steelers 17 MVP

zulater
12-26-2016, 02:23 PM
2 part question. Who will be? And who should be?

My guess is AB will win the team vote.

But if I had a vote it would be Ben by a hair over Leveon with AB another nostril back in 3rd.

Psycho Ward 86
12-26-2016, 02:44 PM
Definitely Bell

Hawkman
12-26-2016, 02:45 PM
Bell for me.

steelreserve
12-26-2016, 02:50 PM
Bell without a doubt. Now let's hope we can keep him at a decent price, and after that, that he can put down the bong for a few years.

st33lersguy
12-26-2016, 03:03 PM
The most dominant and consistent player this year, LB #26.

Steeldude
12-26-2016, 03:17 PM
BR. Why? Because you can still win games without Bell and Brown. It will much more difficult without BR.

On defense it's Harrison all the way. He changes the defense when he is on the field consistently.

43Hitman
12-26-2016, 03:41 PM
I voted for Bell, he has just contributed too much to this team this year despite missing the first 3 games.

86WARD
12-26-2016, 03:45 PM
BR. Why? Because you can still win games without Bell and Brown. It will much more difficult without BR.

On defense it's Harrison all the way. He changes the defense when he is on the field consistently.

My exact feelings. Ben is MVP and Harrison has changed this defense. If he wasn't in Pittsburgh this defense would be as terrible as they were when James was in Cincinnati...

SteelerFanInStl
12-26-2016, 03:58 PM
Bell. He's been amazing.

zulater
12-26-2016, 04:08 PM

Agreed on all points.

Steeldude
12-26-2016, 04:36 PM
I voted for Bell, he has just contributed too much to this team this year despite missing the first 3 games.

I totally get that, but Hall in place of Bell is a better situation than Landry Jones in place of BR. The Steelers can still have a very effective running game with Hall. I can't see Jones or Mettenberger being that effective.

GoSlash27
12-26-2016, 05:13 PM
Lev Bell for sure. He carried this team on his back when the offense was struggling. If it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have made the playoffs.

Moose
12-26-2016, 05:18 PM
I had to go with Ben. This was a tough poll having to pick just 1 player, I agree Bell is awesome and was in my mind....but, I had to think if I could only pick 1 player that I definitely needed to have on the field for a tough game----- I would definitely want Ben out there.

teegre
12-26-2016, 05:53 PM
The QB for any team is the most important player. His play essentially decides the outcome of the game. Ergo, BB is the most important player every single year. Likewise, if I had to choose one player to be healthy for the playoffs, it's BB ten out of ten times.

But, the sports definition of MVP is the player who's having the best season... which is easily Bell.

So, to answer the OP: Bell and Bell.

Steeldude
12-26-2016, 05:59 PM
The QB for any team is the most important player. His play essentially decides the outcome of the game. Ergo, BB is the most important player every single year. Likewise, if I had to choose one player to be healthy for the playoffs, it's BB ten out of ten times.

But, the sports definition of MVP is the player who's having the best season... which is easily Bell.

Isn't the NFL definition most valuable player to the team?

teegre
12-26-2016, 06:16 PM
Isn't the NFL definition most valuable player to the team?

To some extent, yes... which is why 8 of the last 9 awards went to QBs (compared to the 70s, 80s, & 90s, when RBs won it just as often).

One could argue, though, that the new passing rules basically eliminates any other position from contention (i.e. a QBs is likely to have the "best" season in 9 of the next 10 years).

Steeldude
12-27-2016, 04:58 AM
I was thinking, even though he isn't a player, what about Munchak? I suppose MVC? : )

pczach
12-27-2016, 07:26 AM
I think Bell deserves the MVP this year.

When a player is doing things that only guys like Jim Brown, O.J. Simpson, Eric Dickerson, Marshall Faulk, and Walter Payton have done, it tells you how dominant he has been and how important he is to this offense and to this team.

Count Steeler
12-27-2016, 11:36 AM

When a player is doing things that only guys like Jim Brown, O.J. Simpson, Eric Dickerson, Marshall Faulk, and Walter Payton have done, it tells you how dominant he has been and how important he is to this offense and to this team.

AND not playing a full season. This year, I have to go Bell.

Rotorhead
12-27-2016, 12:00 PM
Ben has been off too many times, which also affects AB. Although Bell did miss the first part of the season for stupidity . . . but since he returned, he has pretty much dominated most games when Ben has played poorly and AB has been triple teamed out of games. Tough choice, but Bell gets my vote.

Steeldude
12-27-2016, 05:57 PM

But who is more valuable? Do the Steelers have a better chance of winning without Bell or without BR?

pczach
12-27-2016, 06:10 PM
But who is more valuable? Do the Steelers have a better chance of winning without Bell or without BR?

The quarterback is always the most influential position on any team. That is undeniable in the game of football. But this is not the MVQ award. If there is another player at a position other than quarterback that goes far beyond the normal parameters of other players at his position......he is deserving of consideration or maybe winning. Bell has clearly outperformed the power rating of his position. In the new NFL where the running back position has been devalued and the emphasis on the offenses are the quarterbacks, wide receivers, and pass rushers.......Bell has found a way to dominate nearly every game he has played in. Since coming into the NFL, he has the highest yards from scrimmage average in history, and is performing at an historic rate this year....again....in a league where everything is set up for the passing game to thrive.

He is so versatile and so talented, that he is capable of dominating at two positions....running back and receiver. If you look at it that way, he is performing the output of multiple people all by himself, while also making everyone on the field better with the schemes devised to stop him and the manpower it takes to stop him .

That's pretty valuable.

Steeldude
12-27-2016, 10:24 PM
I know. It's the MVP of the team. The Steelers won't get as far without BR as they would without Bell. Hall can cushion the loss of Bell, but neither of the Steelers two backup QBs can come close to matching BR yet. To me that means BR is the most valuable player on the team : )

If you had to choose which player to go without this entire season; would it be BR or Bell?

teegre
12-27-2016, 11:35 PM
If you had to choose which player to go without this entire season; would it be BR or Bell?

We've all agreed that the most important player is Roethlisberger. Period.

But, if the MVP award is based solely on importance (and not on who is having the "best" year), then you might as well not even have the award... because, it would go to the quarterback 100% of the time.

Make sense?

Steeldude
12-28-2016, 06:36 AM
We've all agreed that the most important player is Roethlisberger. Period.

But, if the MVP award is based solely on importance (and not on who is having the "best" year), then you might as well not even have the award... because, it would go to the quarterback 100% of the time.

Make sense?

For the most part, yes. If you have a good backup QB that could change the outcome. Or what if the QBs on the team are horrible? The MVP is based solely on who is most valuable to the team's success. I would never give Kordell Stewart the MVP. I would have given the punter the MVP award before I handed it to Stewart.

Who is the most valuable player to the team, BR or Bell?

pczach
12-28-2016, 06:58 AM
I know. It's the MVP of the team. The Steelers won't get as far without BR as they would without Bell. Hall can cushion the loss of Bell, but neither of the Steelers two backup QBs can come close to matching BR yet. To me that means BR is the most valuable player on the team : )

Look, Ben never got his due here. They keep handing out team MVP's to everyone except Ben. Almost every year he has been here, Ben should have been the MVP. They've given them to James Harrison too. Was he the MVP or was it Ben?

I'd be fine if they gave Ben the MVP, but I really think Bell deserves it this year.

Even Ben has been pushing for Bell to win the league MVP this year. He has talked about it to the media on several occasions. If he believes Bell should win the NFL MVP award, I'm sure he's OK with him winning the team award.

Again, the quarterback position is the most important on the field. You are saying that Ben is the most valuable because of his position. If you rank everything based on which position is the most important, only quarterbacks would ever win. The running back "position" is not as important as the quarterback position in today's NFL. On this team, Bell has helped carry this team in a way that is unique...even with Ben on the field.

Am I making sense? I'm not sure I'm explaining it well enough without writing a thesis. :chuckle:

86WARD
12-28-2016, 07:48 AM
You don't need to look any further than Dallas. Zeke is the MVP there. Take Prescott out and Romo in and the team most likely doesn't miss a beat. Take Zeke out and put McFadden in and Prescotts season isn't near as good as it is.

There's a level of QBs where they are the most important player on a team...there's also QBs that don't hold that type of weight. Ben and the way he plays, he's MVP. The team was just fine without Bell and with Williams. Bell is a great player, a special player, but he wasn't the Most Valuable Player this season.

The bell ringer
12-28-2016, 08:13 AM
You don't need to look any further than Dallas. Zeke is the MVP there. Take Prescott out and Romo in and the team most likely doesn't miss a beat. Take Zeke out and put McFadden in and Prescotts season isn't near as good as it is.

There's a level of QBs where they are the most important player on a team...there's also QBs that don't hold that type of weight. Ben and the way he plays, he's MVP. The team was just fine without Bell and with Williams. Bell is a great player, a special player, but he wasn't the Most Valuable Player this season.

I totally disagree. I am not taking away Elliott's season. But dude, that is the best Run-Blocking O-line in the league for the past 25 years easy. A QB has a tone more responsibilities then a RB. And Dak has not been a rookie QB like Ben was where Cowher
protected him from having to do too much. Having him throw mostly short safe passes, ect.

Dak is nothing like that. He has over 3600 yards, has scored more TD's then ANY Rookie starter EVER ( Marino, Manning, all of them )...and he is anything but a Dink & Dunk passer, averaging more YPA then any Rookie QB ever, and in the top-3 of every QB this year. He can run, and he does not make too many mistakes.

Consider this...Ben in his rookie year attempted 295 passes, and had 11 picks. Dak in his rookie year ( So far ) has 451 pass attempts, and 4 picks, to go along with 23 TD passes, and another 6 rushing.

Like I said of course Zeke helps, and that O-Line helps out both of them..even though Dallas is just a average Pass-protecting Line at best. But dude please...NO RB is more responsible for his teams success then ANY QB....that is just nonsense. And I Love Zeke too. But give this kid his due props. I mean it is NOT like he came into a strong Veteran winning team, and was asked to be a Neil O'Donnell " Robotic " QB.

Dak has taken control of this team from Day 1...and has done a GREAT Job.

86WARD
12-28-2016, 09:09 AM
I didn't say Prescott was garbage. He's been phenomenal...but it's been a lot easier for him with Elliott back there than a bad back. McFadden in the game this past week was a definite downgrade to that offense and it showed.

I'm pretty sure Scott Mitchell wasn't more important to a Lions team than Barry Sanders. Of course that is the extreme. However, there have been a lot of cases where the running game has been more important to an offenses success than the QB. Jamal Lewis/Trent Dilfer as another example. Most recently, CJ Anderson and his running game was much more important to the Broncos offense than Peyton Manning. Of course in both those cases, the defenses were lights out, but the offense still has to compete and in both cases, the run game was more valuable than the QB.

That's not the case in the Steelers situation. Right now, Ben is elite. And an elite quarterback will most likely trump anything else. Prescott is not at that level yet but it looks like he could be on his way. Right now, just like Ben did with Bettie and Parker, Prescott is benefiting from that Cowboys run game.

Devilsdancefloor
12-28-2016, 09:39 AM
i think bell will get it, but I honestly have really liked the play of Timmons as the year went on he turned it up, plus a close 2nd would be the ageless wonder in Harrison once he became a full time started the D took it up a few notches.

86WARD
12-28-2016, 11:38 AM
It's a nice situation to be in when you have Ben, Bell, Brown, Harrison, Timmons, Mitchell, whoever else you want to throw in there as candidates and be able to have discussions about it...lol.

teegre
12-28-2016, 11:38 AM
For the most part, yes. If you have a good backup QB that could change the outcome. Or what if the QBs on the team are horrible? The MVP is based solely on who is most valuable to the team's success. I would never give Kordell Stewart the MVP. I would have given the punter the MVP award before I handed it to Stewart.

Who is the most valuable player to the team, BR or Bell?

Good point about Kordell.

Think about it this way...
Who was the most valuable player to the 2008 team: Roethlisberger or Harrison?

Harrison had the best season, but Roethlisberger was still the most important player on that team.

GoSlash27
12-28-2016, 12:35 PM
It's official: The 2016 MVP is...
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Bell-rings-again-as-Steelers-MVP/00d33f8a-4815-450a-8273-14a978d2ace1

Le'Veon Bell.

86WARD
12-28-2016, 12:43 PM
I think it should've been Ben, but you can't really argue the (shortened) season Bell had...he's a special player.

zulater
12-28-2016, 01:13 PM
I honestly thought the 3 game absence would play more into the vote. (the best ability is availability) In the 12 games he played no question Bell was the most consistently excellent player.

st33lersguy
12-28-2016, 02:51 PM
It was the right move. Le'Veon has been the more consistent player and Ben has thrown too many interceptions of late

Steeldude
12-28-2016, 03:29 PM
Good point about Kordell.

Think about it this way...
Who was the most valuable player to the 2008 team: Roethlisberger or Harrison?

Harrison had the best season, but Roethlisberger was still the most important player on that team.

Aren't important and valuable synonymous? As much as I would like to choose Harrison in 2008 I would go with BR. It's close because BR didn't have a good 2008 year, but Leftwich and Dixon wouldn't get it done.

Who do you think should be the defensive MVP this season? I think it's Harrison. The defense changes when he is in the game.

43Hitman
12-28-2016, 05:15 PM
I honestly think that Ben transcends the team MVP award, let the younger guys get the recognition and accolades. Ben wants hardware.

Count Steeler
12-28-2016, 05:49 PM

teegre
12-28-2016, 09:46 PM
Aren't important and valuable synonymous? As much as I would like to choose Harrison in 2008 I would go with BR. It's close because BR didn't have a good 2008 year, but Leftwich and Dixon wouldn't get it done.

Who do you think should be the defensive MVP this season? I think it's Harrison. The defense changes when he is in the game.

Literarily speaking, yes. But, I contend that most NFL sport writers (voters) consider "most valuable" as being the player who had the best season.

Harrison vs. Roethlisberger:
Wow... if anything, you're consistent. Still, IMO, Harrison had the best year. That said, if we are talking about the literal definition of "most valuable", it is BB (every single year).

Defensive MVP:
Great question. I'll respond in the other thread.

quistors
12-28-2016, 09:55 PM

Retweet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

polamalubeast
12-29-2016, 08:05 AM
Very well deserved.

The steelers mvp is always the best players of the years of the steelers.

tube517
12-29-2016, 05:14 PM
We don't win anything without Ben.

But on the Immaculate Extension, while Ben and AB are destiny's children, Bell picked up the fact that Suggs was alone and quickly read the play and got in front of him just in case. Heads up play that nobody saw except NFL Films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0AyVJ1wsmE&feature=share&app=desktop

43Hitman
12-29-2016, 05:26 PM
We don't win anything without Ben.

But on the Immaculate Extension, while Ben and AB are destiny's children, Bell picked up the fact that Suggs was alone and quickly read the play and got in front of him just in case. Heads up play that nobody saw except NFL Films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0AyVJ1wsmE&feature=share&app=desktopMan that's good stuff, gets me pumped up all over again. Heads up play by Bell, further validating his MVP vote. Frankly, he should be in the conversation for NFL MVP in my opinion.

The bell ringer
12-29-2016, 05:37 PM
Steelers Depot ‏@Steelersdepot (https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot) Arthur Moats Recipient Of The 2016 “The Chief Award”

https://o.twimg.com/2/proxy.jpg?t=HBhHaHR0cDovL3d3dy5zdGVlbGVyc2RlcG90Lm NvbS93cC1jb250ZW50L3VwbG9hZHMvMjAxNS8xMi9TdG9ja01v YXRzMi5wbmcU9AsUnAYcFIQGFJQDAAAWABIA&s=y9N28awJe-uCWXnBVActcM6wN63NKqlQ2HItwIzKGn8

86WARD
12-29-2016, 06:16 PM
Sean Davis is Rookie of the Year

43Hitman
12-29-2016, 06:19 PM
Sean Davis is Rookie of the YearI can see it, and I'm happy for him, but personally I would have voted for Burns. He made a lot of improvement over the year plus he had three picks. Its been a while since we've seen that.