PDA

View Full Version : Was it just me, or did...

The bell ringer
12-25-2016, 09:57 PM
Jesse James look HUGE out there ? I mean I really haven't gotten a good look at him so far this season. But tonight the camera focused in on him and to me...he looks like he has been hitting the weight room hard. Am I wrong fans ? I mean his shoulders and arms look like they were gonna bust through his uniform. James is a legit 6ft, 7 in bare feet, and with long arms. At the Combine he weighed like 260lbs. But Man...he sure looks, and plays a lot stronger this season then in his rookie one. And it showed to, cause his Run Blocking was magnificent. I mean like several of us have been saying...this kid could become a Major breakout player for us. But the way he looks...I'm sure the league will at anytime now send him a letter demanding a Urine test. :alcohol:

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-25-2016, 10:02 PM
Nope it is you but he did make a nice key catch and jump after.

Shoes
12-25-2016, 10:03 PM
Still need to draft a TE, he's a good backup.

st33lersguy
12-25-2016, 10:08 PM
Still need to draft a TE, he's a good backup.

I think we are good with him and Green

The bell ringer
12-25-2016, 10:12 PM
Ja,es is still a year younger then Heath Miller was when he was a rookie. And James looks to be further ahead of Miller at similar stages. I think the kid is special.

Shoes
12-25-2016, 10:13 PM
I think we are good with him and Green

I think Green is going to be a fragile one. Bucky Hodges out of VT which is possible since Tomlin is a VT guy. :chuckle:

The bell ringer
12-25-2016, 10:18 PM
I think Green is going to be a fragile one. Bucky Hodges out of VT which is possible since Tomlin is a VT guy. :chuckle:

Mike Tomlin did NOT attend VT!

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-25-2016, 10:19 PM
Ja,es is still a year younger then Heath Miller was when he was a rookie. And James looks to be further ahead of Miller at similar stages. I think the kid is special. Potential is there but no Heath at all at this point but a good player. Like I said that catch he did was clutch and cool to see him jump for more yards.

st33lersguy
12-25-2016, 10:20 PM

But with the TEs we already have along with the WRs, do the Steelers really need another pass catcher?

Shoes
12-25-2016, 10:22 PM
Mike Tomlin did NOT attend VT!

I didn't say he attended VT. He likes VT players. Tee Tee

- - - Updated - - -

But with the TEs we already have along with the WRs, do the Steelers really need another pass catcher?

Maybe not if Green proves durable, but there must be questions in FO minds

tube517
12-25-2016, 10:55 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe not if Green proves durable, but there must be questions in FO minds

:rofl2:

Psycho Ward 86
12-25-2016, 11:11 PM
if we believe Green can stay healthy, no need for a tight end unless the value is just too good to pass up. I expect The Outlaw to continue to improve. Securing the ball and moving upfield afterwards more quickly will add so much to his YPC. He'll learn

st33lersguy
12-25-2016, 11:13 PM

:hippo:

Born2Steel
12-26-2016, 12:59 PM
EVERY position can be upgraded. We do need to take a hard look at TE in this upcoming draft. I like what I'm seeing from James, but I want the next Gronk/Graham.

DesertSteel
12-26-2016, 01:12 PM
I like James and he is huge - 6'7". Plus he's not slow like some here contend. He ran a 4.6 and a 4.7 on his pro day. His confidence is building.

Psycho Ward 86
12-26-2016, 01:22 PM
I like James and he is huge - 6'7". Plus he's not slow like some here contend. He ran a 4.6 and a 4.7 on his pro day. His confidence is building.

he's been slow to secure the catch for the vast majority of his games though. Hence the low YPC. He needs to get better at that. He needs to use his length a lot better too. Theres definitely plenty of 6'4'' tight ends out there who i would trust to make a jump ball over him.

Still, i feel good about him as #2 as long as Green stays healthy

GBMelBlount
12-26-2016, 02:22 PM
I think James could be good but have little faith regarding Green's durability.

With regard to next year's draft I am not sure there are that many really good TE's

I still wish we had drafted Eifert.

The bell ringer
12-26-2016, 02:27 PM
I think James could be good but have little faith regarding Green's durability.

With regard to next year's draft I am not sure there are that many really good TE's

I still wish we had drafted Eifert.

Eifert ?..He is even more of a " China Doll " then Ladarius Green.

Craic
12-26-2016, 03:59 PM
James needs to up his blocking if he wants to take over the number 1 spot sometime in the future - or even remain at number 2.

He is only 22, so his body may still fill out a bit, but he also needs to hit the weight room and put on muscle.

The bell ringer
12-26-2016, 06:06 PM
James needs to up his blocking if he wants to take over the number 1 spot sometime in the future - or even remain at number 2.

He is only 22, so his body may still fill out a bit, but he also needs to hit the weight room and put on muscle.

Are you blind ? James is easily our best TE Blocker. Tomlin has even said this. And his Body is HUGE. He is bigger, thinker and stronger then Gronk is. If he gets any bigger he will our best O-Linemen.

teegre
12-26-2016, 06:22 PM
He is bigger, thinker and stronger then Gronk is.

:lol: Nicely done.

Oh... wait... you're being serious. :wtf:

Hawkman
12-26-2016, 06:30 PM

You got there before I did.:crazy::heh:

- - - Updated - - -

James is taller, but no way he is stronger. Have yet to see three DBs hanging off James to bring him down.

The bell ringer
12-26-2016, 06:30 PM

Do some research son. In his draft bio, James in college was reported as to having a 2 Rep Bench at 480lbs, and with his arm length that is Impressive. Gronk can't get within 100lbs of that.

Count Steeler
12-26-2016, 06:35 PM
Do some research son. In his draft bio, James in college was reported as to having a 2 Rep Bench at 480lbs, and with his arm length that is Impressive. Gronk can't get within 100lbs of that.

You have a habit of using "son" in your posts, when you are in disagreement with someone. Please stop. No need to get personal and condescending.

The bell ringer
12-26-2016, 06:40 PM
You have a habit of using "son" in your posts, when you are in disagreement with someone. Please stop. No need to get personal and condescending.

Okay Daddy-O :-) ( Just kidding )

But seriously, I know he is not there yet. And maybe he won't improve from where he is now. But I am very pleasantly surprised with James.

teegre
12-26-2016, 06:41 PM

:lol: Okay

Call me when Jesse James has a season anywhere near as good as Gronk's worst season.

The bell ringer
12-26-2016, 06:51 PM
:lol: Okay

Call me when Jesse James has a season anywhere near as good as Gronk's worst season.

When did I ever say he was or will be as good as Gronk ?

teegre
12-26-2016, 06:59 PM
When did I ever say he was or will be as good as Gronk ?

Oh good. So you do indeed understand that there's not an absolute correlation between a TE's measurable and his actual play on the field.

In turn, you should indeed also understand how your snarky post to Craic was misguided.

The bell ringer
12-26-2016, 07:18 PM
Oh good. So you do indeed understand that there's not an absolute correlation between a TE's measurable and his actual play on the field.

In turn, you should indeed also understand how your snarky post to Craic was misguided.

Okay but with that said..what has Green ever shown you that he is a # 1 TE ? Forget his measurables...what has he done ? He definitely is not a better Blocker. So what ? He was a Baack-up all the time in San Diego where he was constantly hurt. And the Chargers..even with a 40 year old TE...let Green just walk.

Hawkman
12-26-2016, 08:12 PM
Okay but with that said..what has Green ever shown you that he is a # 1 TE ? Forget his measurables...what has he done ? He definitely is not a better Blocker. So what ? He was a Baack-up all the time in San Diego where he was constantly hurt. And the Chargers..even with a 40 year old TE...let Green just walk.

I've gone over this thread five times and STILL haven't found any mention of Green by Teegre. Please point it/them out.

Devilsdancefloor
12-26-2016, 08:14 PM
i know i am going to take a beating but i agree to a point id rather have outlaw going over the middle. Green seems to leave himself open to those big hits , now green as the 3rd WR yeah i like that since we cant seen to even be able to find a solid #2 WR

The bell ringer
12-26-2016, 08:30 PM
i know i am going to take a beating but i agree to a point id rather have outlaw going over the middle. Green seems to leave himself open to those big hits , now green as the 3rd WR yeah i like that since we cant seen to even be able to find a solid #2 WR

Honestly, I think Eli Rogers is getting better and better each game. Okay, I know he is more of a slot guy then a true Wide out..cause he can have trouble off the LOS. But he has shown up big time for us. Also...Green is better at the other slot...with no one hitting him and going out on Fly patterns and short over the middle routes.

GBMelBlount
12-26-2016, 09:49 PM
Are you blind ? James is easily our best TE Blocker. Tomlin has even said this. And his Body is HUGE. He is bigger, thinker and stronger then Gronk is.

If he gets any bigger he will our best O-Linemen.

http://www.acting-man.com/blog/media/2014/12/bell-ringer.jpg

teegre
12-26-2016, 10:53 PM

What do Ladarius Green's abilities have to do with Jesse James??? :huh:

The bell ringer
12-26-2016, 11:02 PM
What do Ladarius Green's abilities have to do with Jesse James??? :huh:

Cause James is a better TE. And yet some people here think Green is an actual legit starting TE. When he has never started in his life before coming here. I understand it though. Cause I don't think anyone expected James to take the leap he made this season from his Rookie season.

Craic
12-26-2016, 11:08 PM
Are you blind ? James is easily our best TE Blocker. Tomlin has even said this. And his Body is HUGE. He is bigger, thinker and stronger then Gronk is. If he gets any bigger he will our best O-Linemen.

Nope, but I suggest you watch game film before making such statements.

Last game.

9:56 left in 1st quarter. Eli Rodgers goes in motion and takes the handoff. James is blocking on #50 - takes a bad angle and gives the guy the inside track to the RB. He grabs the jersey and Rodgers runs passed. Thankfully, the ref doesn't see it.

8:03 1st quarter. Gets to second level on a run play. Literally grabs the guy by the inside shoulder pads at the arms so the guy can't go anywhere. James looks like he's standing almost straight up with no leverage and no leg drive on a block.

5.50 1st quarter. Bell comes on the left side. James is in a doubleteam, but ends up sliding right off the guy and is literally turned around with his back to the play. He looks around as if he has no idea what's going on, then turns back around in time to watch Bell get tackled by James's assignment. While you could possibly blame DeCastro (the other guy on the doubleteam) for knocking him off, the difference in effort put out between the two of them is blatant.

14:05 to go 2nd quarter. James has a nice block, but Bell runs to the opposite side. Nevertheless, James stayed low and kept the guy in front of him with good hand fighting and blocking.

7:04 2nd quarter. Bell coming his way. The OLB stops James in his tracks on the block, then slides off to the inside to get a hand on Bell and tackle him.

12:53. 3rd quarter. James hustles to the second level and gets a good block on the DB. Drives him backwards and doesn't let him get in involved in the play. Good job, James.

11:48 4th quarter. Bells TD run. James stalemates his guy, but nothing else (which is NOT good on a run play). Bell bounces it back to James's side, and the LB QUICKLY sheds James. I mean, he simply said, "bye" and took off after Bell, forcing him to run wide and slip through into the endzone. End result was a TD, but it should have been MUCH easier than it was. James's blocking is absolutely the problem here, and if Bell doesn't score, it is James's fault for letting his guy easily shed him.

-----

Watching James this closely, I've also noticed he is very slow off the ball. I mean, half a step or more slower than most anyone else.

So - yes, he needs to learn how to block a whole lot better. He also needs to get quicker off the line. Another thing, he looks like he's playing at half speed and not putting out a lot of effort, but for that, I'll blame his size, as guys that tall often look like they're not trying as hard as they really are, a type of optical illusion, almost.

The bell ringer
12-26-2016, 11:11 PM
No, I suggest you LISTEN to our own Head coach who says James is our best Blocking TE. And said he has improved greatly in all aspects since last year. That Quote came after the Bills game. And I think Tomlin knows a little more about the game then you do.....and me.

Craic
12-26-2016, 11:16 PM
No, I suggest you LISTEN to our own Head coach who says James is our best Blocking TE. And said he has improved greatly in all aspects since last year. That Quote came after the Bills game. And I think Tomlin knows a little more about the game then you do.....and me.

Provide the link, please. Because the last time you said "Here's the source," it was simply a throwaway line that proved nothing (and was wrong, anyway). I'm guessing Tomlin said something like, "His blocking is getting better." Or, "He's one of the two best healthy blockers at TE right now," which would have been true seeing as we only had two healthy TEs.

Craic
12-26-2016, 11:24 PM

Just listened to his entire press conference. Jesse James wasn't even mentioned. Where is this quote?

The bell ringer
12-26-2016, 11:29 PM
I saw it on Sports night Pittsburgh after the game. They were talking about Bell's day, and Tomlin specifically called out his O-line, and then mentioned James and several key Blocks he made. Then said James was coming along nicely, ect, ect.

Look. you can keep up this childish conversation. But I actually have an IQ over 50....and you're not worthy of my time.

Psycho Ward 86
12-27-2016, 12:34 AM

love it. thats a great way to get them both involved. Sprinkle in some extra Eli between the numbers works too. He is a slot receiver after all

Hawkman
12-27-2016, 12:55 AM
I saw it on Sports night Pittsburgh after the game. They were talking about Bell's day, and Tomlin specifically called out his O-line, and then mentioned James and several key Blocks he made. Then said James was coming along nicely, ect, ect.

Look. you can keep up this childish conversation. But I actually have an IQ over 50....and you're not worthy of my time.

How much longer do you want to keep posting on this board??!!! You just love insulting long time posters.

fansince'76
12-27-2016, 01:31 AM

You really need to cool it. I believe you've already been warned once. You can disagree with people without throwing insults.

Shoes
12-27-2016, 07:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSKQ3ZNQ_O8

SteelerFanInStl
12-27-2016, 08:53 AM

I'm pretty sure that you've now worn out your welcome on this board. You will be leaving soon.

The bell ringer
12-27-2016, 09:02 AM
I'm pretty sure that you've now worn out your welcome on this board. You will be leaving soon.

Why ? I mean all I was saying was I am tired having to defend my opinion. And even though that IQ comment was out of line...and I certainly am sorry for saying it. I still think that a continuation into the discussion was useless. I have my opinion...He has his, and he is entitled to it. End of story. Lets forget it and move forward.

Rotorhead
12-27-2016, 11:27 AM
Where do these people come from, and why do they keep finding this board? Anyway, back on topic. I think the Outlaw is coming along nicely. He is not Heath, but if he can put on more weight and get better at blocking, he will be good like Heath instead of good like Gronk. While Gronk is a great TE, I don't think I would trade him for Heath. They are just different types of players. Outlaw does make some good catches, and honestly that is what Ben neeeds, a safety net who can make the chain moving catches (like Heath was), leave the big plays to Bell, AB and whoever else.

The bell ringer
12-27-2016, 11:41 AM
Where do these people come from, and why do they keep finding this board? Anyway, back on topic. I think the Outlaw is coming along nicely. He is not Heath, but if he can put on more weight and get better at blocking, he will be good like Heath instead of good like Gronk. While Gronk is a great TE, I don't think I would trade him for Heath. They are just different types of players. Outlaw does make some good catches, and honestly that is what Ben neeeds, a safety net who can make the chain moving catches (like Heath was), leave the big plays to Bell, AB and whoever else.

Heath was better then James..I'm not even that stupid to say different. But I agree as James being a good " Safety Net " option of a TE. And because of his great height, length and incredible leaping skills...I would also like to see him used more in close Red zone plays where Ben just tosses it up in a Jump Ball situation.

But I think James could be Ben's version of a Dennis Pitta...Flacco's safety Net option.

Rotorhead
12-27-2016, 11:54 AM
You misread what I typed, he can be a good player in the way Heath was good, not good in the way Gronk is good. Both are great TE's (Heath and Gronk) but in different ways obviously. Jesse will never be a Gronk type player, but can be a Heath like player.

The bell ringer
12-27-2016, 12:00 PM
You misread what I typed, he can be a good player in the way Heath was good, not good in the way Gronk is good. Both are great TE's (Heath and Gronk) but in different ways obviously. Jesse will never be a Gronk type player, but can be a Heath like player.

I would agree with that. Time will tell with James. I just like what I have seen so far as it goes to his growth player wise. Lets see how it continues.

- - - Updated - - -

I would agree with that. Time will tell with James. I just like what I have seen so far as it goes to his growth player wise. Lets see how it continues.

SteelerFanInStl
12-27-2016, 12:53 PM
Why ? I mean all I was saying was I am tired having to defend my opinion. And even though that IQ comment was out of line...and I certainly am sorry for saying it. I still think that a continuation into the discussion was useless. I have my opinion...He has his, and he is entitled to it. End of story. Lets forget it and move forward.

It's your constant condescending and insulting attitude toward almost everyone on this board. We've seen plenty of your kind come to this board in the many years that most of us have been here. That attitude doesn't last long here.

The bell ringer
12-27-2016, 01:02 PM
It's your constant condescending and insulting attitude toward almost everyone on this board. We've seen plenty of your kind come to this board in the many years that most of us have been here. That attitude doesn't last long here.

Okay I understand. Even though I don't think I am condescending at all. But whatever. I will try to reverse that trend okay ? Thanks.

SteelerFanInStl
12-27-2016, 01:46 PM
Okay I understand. Even though I don't think I am condescending at all. But whatever. I will try to reverse that trend okay ? Thanks.

That's good with me. We're all here because we love the Steelers and love to talk about Steeler football. We're not always going to agree, but as long as we're civil in our discussions and respect other people's opinions, we're good. :drink:

The bell ringer
12-27-2016, 01:55 PM
That's good with me. We're all here because we love the Steelers and love to talk about Steeler football. We're not always going to agree, but as long as we're civil in our discussions and respect other people's opinions, we're good. :drink:

Thank you sir....now...BITE ME!!...( Just kidding ) :lol::lol:

Craic
12-27-2016, 02:31 PM

I'll see if I can find it, however, "coming along nicely" doesn't equate to him being a good blocker at this point. I will admit, however, that after viewing the game last night looking specifically for him on every play, his blocking has gotten better than the previous year.

If you'd simply supply it as an opinion, the conversation probably would have gone a different way. However,

Are you blind ? James is easily our best TE Blocker. Tomlin has even said this.

Isn't a statement of opinion, it's a statement of fact, one you marshal evidence for by appealing to Tomlin as authority.

Now, with that said, let's start over, perhaps with the following post.

I think you're right here. While I disliked his blocking ability last year, as I said above, I did note that he's improved a good deal. Since it's only his second year, and adding to that Munch is the line coach (who can take him aside and help teach him blocking fundamentals), I'm more than willing to see how it goes over the next couple of years. I still want to see him in a gym - he's 260 pounds right now. Gronkowski is an inch shorter and five pounds heavier. I'd imagine James could put on about 10 pounds of muscle without it affecting his ability to run. Heck, do it in the right way, and it might make him faster off the line. Honestly, I'd love to see him come into camp at 270, having spent the entire spring and early summer in the weight room. He's shown that he can catch the ball and even doesn't mind doing it in traffic. He's shown an upward trajectory for learning how to block, and just needs to get consistent in it. That extra 10 pounds of muscle would go a long way in helping him do so.

If my last couple of sentences above were similar to your thoughts that he might have comparables to Gronk as he matures, I can see it. The question is, will he ever get there? And, as you said, "Let's see how it continues."

The bell ringer
12-27-2016, 02:41 PM
James weighed in at 261 at the combine, and he is listed at 260. But until I get proof...he has easily gained 10-15lbs of Muscle since then. Teams weights of their players is never accurate. I mean in his last few seasons, they had Levon Kirkland listed at 265lbs....do you believe that ?? :-)

Method28
12-27-2016, 04:30 PM
Living in Cali i hear a lot of Chargers news. Over his years in SD, Green displayed a lot of game breaking and explosive plays while backing up Gates. That is the reason he got a big money deal.

He's shown it on the field. Hes big, hes fast and he can catch! Simple as that. Granted he is injury prone. However, We paid him for the player we thought he would become with more exposure, not the player he was in SD.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Method28
12-27-2016, 04:33 PM
In regards to James. I had a man boner for him in tbe draft. Similar to how i very badly wanted Jordy Nelson. I actually did love his measurables compared to Gronk. I obviously could see he wasnt as explosive or commanding on the field as Gronk....but i hoped he'd grow into a reliable red zone option for Ben and someone who could rack up first downs on short yardage throws.

I think hes coming along just fine. If Green cannot get his head on straight, id be fine moving forward with James and Grimble as the TEs and focus elsewhere. I think James will progress.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

86WARD
12-27-2016, 06:21 PM
Green, James and Grimble are just fine. No need to waste another 6-7 round pick on one...lol.

Craic
12-28-2016, 02:34 AM
James weighed in at 261 at the combine, and he is listed at 260. But until I get proof...he has easily gained 10-15lbs of Muscle since then. Teams weights of their players is never accurate. I mean in his last few seasons, they had Levon Kirkland listed at 265lbs....do you believe that ?? :-)
Do you remember what Bettis supposedly weighed his last couple of years? :chuckle: I still would like him in the gym. If he has gained size, my guess is that it's the typical filling out men do in their early twenties. But when knows?

Mojouw
12-29-2016, 10:16 AM
I have eyes. Jesse James is an absolute garbage blocker for an in-line TE. He blocks like a WR.

He has sooooo far to go. But he is super young. I expect his blocking to come along next season. He is willing just needs far bettter technique.