PDA

View Full Version : Ben's Successor/backup?

Bluecoat96
12-24-2016, 11:42 AM
I just got an update on my phone that mentioned Tom Coughlin is going to interview for the Jag's HC job. It also said he is not a Blake Bortles fan. Would Bortles be a reasonable choice as a backup to Ben? Provided of course that he'd be available for a reasonable cost like a 4th rounder. I wonder if his issues this year were more coaching related. What do you folks think?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Method28
12-24-2016, 11:47 AM
I'd prefer to draft and groom someone else. Kid's got talent but by the time Ben steps down and Blake would get his shot, he'd probably be about 30 and we'd be looking to replace Bortles soon lol

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

The bell ringer
12-24-2016, 11:49 AM
I just got an update on my phone that mentioned Tom Coughlin is going to interview for the Jag's HC job. It also said he is not a Blake Bortles fan. Would Bortles be a reasonable choice as a backup to Ben? Provided of course that he'd be available for a reasonable cost like a 4th rounder. I wonder if his issues this year were more coaching related. What do you folks think?

No. Even if Blake is not part of their future, one, his rookie deal still is too high for us to deal for. And second, I still think he wants to be a starter somewhere else. And three, to me he is too bad a thrower. Too many interceptions, and not a good completion %. So no. Pittsburgh, sorry to say will probably re-sign Landry and Mettenberger to compete/

GoSlash27
12-24-2016, 12:27 PM
If I had my way, Ben's understudy would be C.J. Beathard from Iowa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQJnaf8DTKk

His play style is almost identical to Big Ben. He's hard to bring down, extends plays with his feet, throws well across his body and on the move, and goes into sandlot mode when plays break down. It'd be easy to drop him into our scheme and personnel and not miss a beat.

st33lersguy
12-24-2016, 12:33 PM
Draft a successor who can serve as the backup while Ben is injured

Psycho Ward 86
12-24-2016, 02:30 PM

His play style is almost identical to Big Ben. He's hard to bring down, extends plays with his feet, throws well across his body and on the move, and goes into sandlot mode when plays break down. It'd be easy to drop him into our scheme and personnel and not miss a beat.

well he's already got the colors down lol

DesertSteel
12-24-2016, 03:47 PM

You really think Bortles could be had for a 4th?

Coughlin ain't getting that job and Bortles will be the Jags QB for the next 10 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Iowa homer alert lol.

GoSlash27
12-24-2016, 04:37 PM
Iowa homer alert lol.

I could see why you would think that :chuckle:
The truth is more mundane than that; I've seen all of his film and understand how he plays the position. I recommend him because he plays QB the same exact way Roethlisberger does. There are other QBs in this class who are arguably better in schemes that suit their skills, but he's the closest thing I've seen to a drop- in replacement for Ben in *our* scheme.

Also, note that I've never recommended an Iowa player for the Steelers before today ;)

Best,
-Slashy

Craic
12-24-2016, 10:59 PM
Took a gander at his clips. For throwing flat-footed at times, he seems to have decent arm strength. Had a couple of passes 55-60 yards, which is the bottom range for an NFL QB (doesn't mean he can't throw farther), but what I like was the ball was up when it got to the receiver—something Ben struggled with earlier in his career (and still has a tendency to revert back to shallowing the pass and depending more on arm strength, now and then). My main concerns would be his tendency to break the pocket and run. Had that been the NFL, I counted probably three or four times he would have been carted off the field. It'd be one of my bigger concerns for him—could we break that habit, or get him to give himself up rather than fighting for more yards?

Granted, I'm basing that only on one 5-minute video, but from what I saw, that'd be my concern.

Hawkman
12-25-2016, 12:19 AM
I'm sure I'll get bashed for this, but how about Trace McSorley. A bit small, ( 6.1, 200), but 3300 yds, 25 TDs, 5 ints. Not bad for a sophomore.

tube517
12-25-2016, 03:24 AM

Is he related to Bobby Beathard?

pczach
12-25-2016, 07:24 AM
I'm sure I'll get bashed for this, but how about Trace McSorley. A bit small, ( 6.1, 200), but 3300 yds, 25 TDs, 5 ints. Not bad for a sophomore.

I'm a Penn State fan. I've seen every game this kid has played. He is a winner....no doubt. He is a great leader, and he has put up ridiculous stats this year.

With that said, he needs to get bigger and stronger. Which probably will happen. He's a sophomore, so he has time to develop.

He also plays in a read option scheme where they look to the sideline for many of the calls. He is nowhere near ready to take on an NFL offense and all that is required in the huddle and at the line of scrimmage. He is a guy that will probably take a while to figure out how good he can be.

I love his heart and his head. I just don't know if he has enough physical skill to be successful at the next level. He's someone I'm excited to watch develop at Penn State, and I think his future could be very bright. He's probably a guy that will not be drafted high or at all, but has a chance to do something because all his intangibles are off the charts.

GoSlash27
12-25-2016, 08:08 AM
Is he related to Bobby Beathard?
I knew he was related to semi- famous country music people, but I had to look it up. Yes, he's Bobby Beathard's grandson.

Craic,
That seems to be a common habit among rookie QBs. In his case I don't imagine it'd be a problem since he just had a baby a few days ago.

DesertSteel
12-25-2016, 01:16 PM
I could see why you would think that :chuckle:
The truth is more mundane than that; I've seen all of his film and understand how he plays the position. I recommend him because he plays QB the same exact way Roethlisberger does. There are other QBs in this class who are arguably better in schemes that suit their skills, but he's the closest thing I've seen to a drop- in replacement for Ben in *our* scheme.

Also, note that I've never recommended an Iowa player for the Steelers before today ;)

Best,
-Slashy
I understand..... I am a Marshall fan (my hometown) so therefore I thought Chad Pennington and Byron Leftwich were the the next great QBs to ever play the game.

86WARD
12-25-2016, 05:49 PM
I'd take Bortles in a second as a back up.

SteelerFanInStl
12-25-2016, 07:13 PM
I'd take Bortles in a second as a back up.

I would too. I think he's got a lot of talent. He's just been stuck on a crappy team. He threw for over 4400 yards last year with 35 TDs.

86WARD
12-25-2016, 08:44 PM
He's making Marquis Lee look good...lol.

teegre
12-25-2016, 09:31 PM
I understand..... I am a Marshall fan (my hometown) so therefore I thought Chad Pennington and Byron Leftwich were the the next great QBs to ever play the game.

You're from Huntington???

My uncle went to Marshall, and has had season tickets at the 50 for forty years. I was at the championship game when Randy Moss destroyed the Montana Grizzlies (1996).

Small world.

Born2Steel
12-26-2016, 01:04 PM
We have Mettenberg. He's already an upgrade over Jones, IMO. He showed some good stuff at TN. Not sure if he can be our next franchise QB, but unless somebody just drops in unexpectedly, he's not there in the upcoming draft either.

WCSteeler
12-26-2016, 01:12 PM
Luke Falk (Washington state) . 6-4, 230lb. Falk is a pocket passer with a sold release and might be available in the 3rd round, seems like the prototype Steeler QB. Ben is still very good but his window is closing, it's time to groom someone

GBMelBlount
12-26-2016, 02:29 PM
What are there, maybe 3-4 elite NFL QB's every 10 years?

While we were very fortunate to draft Ben the odds of us drafting another who is comparable are relatively small. Especially where we typcially pick in the draft.

However without Ben, we may be picking a lot earlier!

Psycho Ward 86
12-26-2016, 02:37 PM
What are there, maybe 3-4 elite NFL QB's every 10 years?

While we were very fortunate to draft Ben the odds of us drafting another who is comparable are relatively small. Especially where we typcially pick in the draft.

However without Ben, we may be picking a lot earlier!

Doesnt mean we shouldnt try if we strongly feel like the chances are good. We looked VERY closely at Dak Prescott during the draft process and were trying to trade up right around his projected draft position. I think we might find out in the future that Dak may have been the guy we were trying to trade up for. Imagine how set this team would be if Dak got groomed behind Ben

steelreserve
12-26-2016, 02:56 PM
Ben's backup next year is a demoted starter who's on another team right now, or a former starter who's getting old and looking for backup jobs to prolong his career.

It's not a guy on his rookie deal who's been somewhat underwhelming but someone will still give a starting shot and similar contract based on "potential." Think someone like Nick Foles, or maybe Jay Cutler if his ego wasn't such a deal-breaker.

Ben's successor is in high school, or at most a freshman in college.

dislocatedday
12-26-2016, 03:12 PM
The actual successor for Ben is going to depend on just how long Ben wants to play, and none of us know that and Ben likely does not even know at this point either. If this team remains competitive, and the O-line continues to keep him relatively healthy and not taking a lot of hits in the pocket, then he may want to and be able to play until he's 40 or so.

I agree with the thought that we should get a veteran backup who has some prior experience and success in the league. IMO that is what we need behind Ben.......not necessarily someone to groom as his replacement just yet.

Count Steeler
12-26-2016, 06:50 PM
I think the O Line should allow 1 hit on Ben early in the game, just to piss him off. He plays so much better when he has been smacked or when he is pissed off.

teegre
12-26-2016, 07:03 PM
I think the O Line should allow 1 hit on Ben early in the game, just to piss him off. He plays so much better when he has been smacked or when he is pissed off.

We think alike.
I have told my family that James Harrison should kick BB in the shins, right before kickoff...

j-d-s
12-26-2016, 07:41 PM
I would too. I think he's got a lot of talent. He's just been stuck on a crappy team. He threw for over 4400 yards last year with 35 TDs.Totally agree. But that is also the reason why we will not get him for anything we could afford for a backup. There are still enough NFL teams who could and will start Bortles if he becomes "available".Meaning I doubt he will leave the Jags since then they would need someone to replace him. Someone who is better. Where should they get that guy? Aside from Tony Romo (who probably does not want to go to Jacksonville) there is nobody.

Psycho Ward 86
12-27-2016, 12:30 AM

so Ben is a lowkey masochist. are we going to have to add leather to his uniform :lol: