PDA

View Full Version : Le'Veon Bell is not happy about the lack of fine for Ezekiel Elliott

salamander
12-20-2016, 04:14 AM
http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2016/12/20/leveon-bell-is-not-happy-about-the-lack-of-fine-for-ezekiel-elliott/

The NFL's hypocrisy knows no bounds. :ranger:

Count Steeler
12-20-2016, 04:48 AM
Consistency is not on the NFL priority list.

86WARD
12-20-2016, 04:55 AM
I didn't realize Bell and AB got fined for that handshake. That's ridiculous. So you can't have any sort of celebration whatsoever...lol. What a joke...unless it's for "charity"...or unless your DeAngelo Williams...

fansince'76
12-20-2016, 05:44 AM
Sorry, but it can really no longer be reasonably claimed that Steelers players aren't being targeted.

SteelerFanInStl
12-20-2016, 08:06 AM
It's the typical double standard from the NFL. AB Twerks, flag and fine. Manny Sanders does the same thing, no flag, no fine. Complete BS.

tube517
12-20-2016, 08:26 AM
Sorry, but it can really no longer be reasonably claimed that Steelers players aren't being targeted.

Voting against the dictator brings consequences. :ranger:

Born2Steel
12-20-2016, 11:15 AM
It is what it is....understand what it is and move on.

tube517
12-20-2016, 12:13 PM

Craic
12-20-2016, 12:48 PM
Consistency is not on the NFL priority list.
It's actually very consistent. Two people cannot engage in a celebration together. That's a fine and has been for years. If someone jumped in the pot with Ezekiel Elliot, then it would have been a fine.

I'm not saying it's right, but it is consistent (a distinction between Elliot on one side and Bell/Brown on the other. On top of which, repeat offenders get a more critical eye—and since Bell was a part of it with a repeat offender, he got a fine as well. Again, not saying it's a good way to hand out fines, but it is consistent (again, in the comparison with Bell and Brown).

As to other celebrations from other teams vs. his . . . can't say. I haven't watched any football but the Steelers and a little last night as we were setting up the tree.

Count Steeler
12-20-2016, 01:58 PM
It's actually very consistent. Two people cannot engage in a celebration together. That's a fine and has been for years. If someone jumped in the pot with Ezekiel Elliot, then it would have been a fine.

I'm not saying it's right, but it is consistent (a distinction between Elliot on one side and Bell/Brown on the other. On top of which, repeat offenders get a more critical eye—and since Bell was a part of it with a repeat offender, he got a fine as well. Again, not saying it's a good way to hand out fines, but it is consistent (again, in the comparison with Bell and Brown).

As to other celebrations from other teams vs. his . . . can't say. I haven't watched any football but the Steelers and a little last night as we were setting up the tree.

I believe that Antonio Brown mounted the goal post alone (2 years ago?), and I am pretty sure he got fined for that one. If not, he definitely drew a flag.

tube517
12-20-2016, 02:04 PM
I believe that Antonio Brown mounted the goal post alone (2 years ago?), and I am pretty sure he got fined for that one. If not, he definitely drew a flag.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/12/9/9882146/antonio-brown-touchdown-celebration-fine

$11,576 to be exact

tube517
12-20-2016, 02:35 PM
I'm no fan of Josh Norman but he got fined for mimicking a bow and arrow. And no, he didn't go to the ground like when Keisel got penalized. But, that's not even my point.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/10/josh-norman-ref-bow-and-arrow-penalty-jeff-triplette-redskins-browns

This guy from the Saints does the same thing and nothing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/18/sports/football/nfl-celebration-penalties-josh-norman-vernon-davis.html?_r=0

Brandin Cooks of the Saints has eluded penalties for his own bow-and-arrow gesture. “The reason for why I’m doing it and what’s behind why I’m doing it doesn’t have anything to do with violence,” he told The Times-Picayune. He has said it is a reference to the archery skills of Abraham’s son Ishmael in the Book of Genesis.

SteelerFanInStl
12-20-2016, 02:46 PM

You're also not allowed to use any props in your celebration. The Salvation Army bucket is a prop.

AB twerking after a TD = flag and a fine
Manny Sanders twerking after a TD = no flag and no fine

Hawkman
12-20-2016, 02:49 PM
I'm no fan of Josh Norman but he got fined for mimicking a bow and arrow. And no, he didn't go to the ground like when Keisel got penalized. But, that's not even my point.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/10/josh-norman-ref-bow-and-arrow-penalty-jeff-triplette-redskins-browns

This guy from the Saints does the same thing and nothing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/18/sports/football/nfl-celebration-penalties-josh-norman-vernon-davis.html?_r=0

You mean to tell me, that if you have good enough excuse, you won't get fined or penalized?

silver & black
12-20-2016, 04:45 PM
I'm not a Steelers fan, as you all know. But.... as a looong time Raiders fan, I hear you! It's total bullshit. Sorry Craic.... I just disagree with you on this one.

Craic
12-20-2016, 05:23 PM

I'm referring here to the false comparison between Elliot and Bell/Brown as the latter became a group celebration AND involved a "repeat offender" while the former was neither. And no, I don't consider the SA bucket a prop, just like I don't consider the first row of seat at Lambeau field a prop when they jump into it as well.

A goal post, yeah, that's a little different. Still one of my favorite celebrations, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZ78t3qz1w

SteelerFanInStl
12-20-2016, 05:47 PM
I'm referring here to the false comparison between Elliot and Bell/Brown as the latter became a group celebration AND involved a "repeat offender" while the former was neither. And no, I don't consider the SA bucket a prop, just like I don't consider the first row of seat at Lambeau field a prop when they jump into it as well.

A goal post, yeah, that's a little different. Still one of my favorite celebrations, though.

Just because you don't consider it to be a prop doesn't mean that it isn't. The SA Bucket is no less of a prop than the goalpost in AB's celebration. The definition of "prop" as a noun is "something used in creating or enhancing a desired effect". According to this definition, the SA Bucket was a prop in Zeke's TD celebration.

The "Lambeau Leap" is specifically grandfathered in to the rule book as being acceptable.

Butch
12-20-2016, 05:58 PM

sorry but I am not following you on this one. How can you say that a goal post is any different than a big bucket? A prop is a prop be it a football, a pen, a goal post or a big bucket. To me a prop is any object that is used as part of a players celebration.

Hawkman
12-20-2016, 09:25 PM

Still makes me laugh, every time I see it. In his post game interview he said, "but I didn't stick the landing".

Galax Steeler
12-21-2016, 03:47 AM
Remember Holmes in the Super Bowl when he used the football for a salt shaker?

Count Steeler
12-21-2016, 05:52 AM
http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2016-nfl-rulebook/#section-3-unsportsmanlike-conduct

Possession or use of foreign or extraneous object(s) that are not part of the uniform on the field or the sideline during the game.
Using the ball or any other object including pylons, goal posts, or crossbars, as a prop.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/07/the-dos-and-donts-of-nfl-celebrations/

Here’s what’s allowed: (1) dancing that is not sexually suggestive; (2) celebrations with teammates that are not choreographed; (3) spiking the ball, as long as it’s not directed at an opponent; (4) spinning the ball, as long as it’s not directed to an opponent; (5) bowing to the crowd; (6) saluting; (7) going to the ground in prayer; (8) the “Lambeau Leap”; and (9) handing the ball to the official.
Here’s what isn’t permitted: (1) anything that mimics a violent act, including slashing the throat, shooting guns, and shooting arrows, whether directed at an opponent or not; (2) sexually suggestive dancing; (2) choreographed celebrations; (3) excessive celebrations; (4) prolonged celebrations; (5) spiking or spinning the ball at an opponent; (6) going to the ground; (7) using the ball as a prop; and (8) using any other props.

Personally, I prefer the Heath Miller style of celebration. However, these rules are NOT interpreted and applied consistently.

Craic
12-21-2016, 12:18 PM
http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2016-nfl-rulebook/#section-3-unsportsmanlike-conduct

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/07/the-dos-and-donts-of-nfl-celebrations/

Personally, I prefer the Heath Miller style of celebration. However, these rules are NOT interpreted and applied consistently.

But again, I was talking specifically about the comparison between Brown and Bell on one side, who had multiple player celebration (with a repeat offender of the rule) and on the other side, a single player who has not offended the rule yet.

Whether what Elliot did was or wasn't against the rule is irrelevant. It wasn't the same act and isn't a viable comparison in the way Bell was making it out to be.

If you want to talk about overall application of the rule across the league, rather than a specific comparison between Elliot and Brown/Bell, then I absolutely agree there is an inconsistency. But too often, what we get all up in arms about overlooks too many specifics.

Of course, you're absolutely right. If we had more celebrations like Heath Miller, this wouldn't even be a conversation.

smokin3000gt
12-21-2016, 04:16 PM
The whole thing is BS in my opinion... most of these penalties shouldn't even be flagged let alone fined. Why does a player get penalized twice anyways?

tube517
12-21-2016, 04:52 PM
Not to make this into a Senate debate but there are 2 separate issues here.

Fine

Penalty

Bell was bitching about getting FINED. Doesn't matter if Elliott is a first time offender as far as fines. If you broke the rule, you pay the fine. Period. End of story.

First offense is supposed to be $12,154 (As usual, the NFLs rulebook doesn't even clarify)

http://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/fines-appeals/

The bell ringer
12-21-2016, 05:15 PM
I have my own little fantasy. I wanna see the Steelers, like Bell, buy, and wrap A LOT of toy presents, and after Bell scores a TD Sunday night, have him, and Antonio, and even Ben take part in a after TD celebration where they get the presents ( Which would be somewhere on the field before the game, and start handing them out to some of the kids in the stands...as a nice act of Charity. And then see if the NFL will fine them for that ??? It wouldn't surprise if they did. But that would be some Bad Karma for ole Roger.

Count Steeler
12-21-2016, 05:54 PM
But again, I was talking specifically about the comparison between Brown and Bell on one side, who had multiple player celebration (with a repeat offender of the rule) and on the other side, a single player who has not offended the rule yet.

Whether what Elliot did was or wasn't against the rule is irrelevant. It wasn't the same act and isn't a viable comparison in the way Bell was making it out to be.

If you want to talk about overall application of the rule across the league, rather than a specific comparison between Elliot and Brown/Bell, then I absolutely agree there is an inconsistency. But too often, what we get all up in arms about overlooks too many specifics.

Of course, you're absolutely right. If we had more celebrations like Heath Miller, this wouldn't even be a conversation.

Yes, separate acts. However, all covered under the same rule, just a different line.

So in essence Bell is correct, because rule 3a may cover team mate celebration, and rule 3c covers props. But, regardless of where you are in section 3, you are in section 3, the consequences should be consistent.

Craic
12-21-2016, 09:28 PM
Yes, separate acts. However, all covered under the same rule, just a different line.

So in essence Bell is correct, because rule 3a may cover team mate celebration, and rule 3c covers props. But, regardless of where you are in section 3, you are in section 3, the consequences should be consistent.

Saw the replay tonight. He jumped inside. Another player played the side of the bucket as if it were drums. That equals group celebration, and completely changes the scenario. It should have drawn an group celebration flag and perhaps, a fine.

Question, however . . . did AB get fined for his first celebration penalty? I can't remember.

Shoes
12-21-2016, 10:41 PM
Just stay off the pot Bell and don't worry about Elliot.

SteelerFanInStl
12-22-2016, 07:19 AM
Just stay off the pot Bell and don't worry about Elliot.

He, and other players, are simply pointing out the fact that the NFL is anything but consistent with the way that they hand out penalties and fines.

Shoes
12-22-2016, 07:42 AM
He, and other players, are simply pointing out the fact that the NFL is anything but consistent with the way that they hand out penalties and fines.

I know that, but if anyone has earned the right to say anything its Harrison. This guy is held on nearly every play and can't draw a flag, he just lines up and plays football.

fansince'76
12-22-2016, 09:43 AM
I have my own little fantasy. I wanna see the Steelers, like Bell, buy, and wrap A LOT of toy presents, and after Bell scores a TD Sunday night, have him, and Antonio, and even Ben take part in a after TD celebration where they get the presents ( Which would be somewhere on the field before the game, and start handing them out to some of the kids in the stands...as a nice act of Charity. And then see if the NFL will fine them for that ??? It wouldn't surprise if they did. But that would be some Bad Karma for ole Roger.

My fantasy involves the Steelers winning the Super Bowl and James Harrison using the Lombardi Trophy to perform a colonoscopy of Goodell right there on the podium...

teegre
12-22-2016, 10:40 AM
My fantasy involves the Steelers winning the Super Bowl and James Harrison using the Lombardi Trophy to perform a colonoscopy of Goodell right there on the podium...

Post. Of. The. Year!!!

We can all go home now... no one is topping that post.