PDA

View Full Version : Steelers notebook: TE James ready for bigger role if Green misses time

fansince'76
12-19-2016, 09:05 PM
Chris Adamski - Monday, Dec. 19, 2016, 6:57 p.m.

Led by Jesse James, the Steelers made it through half of the season without Ladarius Green available at tight end.

James said they're prepared to do it again Sunday if necessary.

Before Green was added to the active roster last month, it wasn't uncommon for James to play every snap at tight end. With Green's status for Sunday's game uncertain because he is under the NFL's concussion protocol, James might be asked to carry a heavy workload again.

“I can play every snap of the game if I have to,” James said. “I'll be ready to go.”

Read more: Steelers notebook: TE James ready for bigger role if Green misses time (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/11653149-74/snaps-james-sunday)

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-19-2016, 09:36 PM
Green has more athletic ability and speed and with that said he is not the second coming Of Gonk, Gonzales or Gates. I have faith in James that he will do a decent job. Still hoping Green can play and just wish Coates has his fingers healthy very soon. He is the difference that takes this offense to another level when he is a actual deep threat.

- - - Updated - - -

Ps. including Green how cool I mentioned all TE with the first letter in the last name starting with a G!

Psycho Ward 86
12-19-2016, 09:59 PM
James is playing as well as you could hope from a 5th round pick. And he's only 22 so i expect him to continue to get better. But im not looking forward to him getting extra opportunities to catch the ball. The guy just has little to no YAC ability so far in his career. His biggest weakness to me is securing the ball quickly and taking off after the catch. He seems to drop the ball frequently when he tries to do that. One he masters this, his game is going to go to a whole different level and we wont have to pretend that 8 yards a catch is acceptable

12-19-2016, 10:24 PM
James is playing as well as you could hope from a 5th round pick. And he's only 22 so i expect him to continue to get better. But im not looking forward to him getting extra opportunities to catch the ball. The guy just has little to no YAC ability so far in his career. His biggest weakness to me is securing the ball quickly and taking off after the catch. He seems to drop the ball frequently when he tries to do that. One he masters this, his game is going to go to a whole different level and we wont have to pretend that 8 yards a catch is acceptable Good points and think your are the money after the catch. Still good for a clutch 3rd down catch or red zone TD but Heath he is not. May never will be sadly but still a weapon.

12-19-2016, 10:30 PM
Green so far has the speed to get open and make a catch and go up the field. Seems to go down on first contact though. Meaning still wouldn't mind a TE 3rd or later pick in the next draft.

Shoes
12-19-2016, 10:37 PM
I have faith in drafting a real TE in 2017. :grin:

12-19-2016, 10:45 PM
I have faith in drafting a real TE in 2017. :grin: Got to go OLB with in 1st or 2nd pick and backup QB with in the top 3 picks and wouldn't mind a TE in the 2nd as long as we address those two needs.

DesertSteel
12-19-2016, 10:52 PM
From my view, James is as fast as Green. No way Green is 4.5 as advertised.

12-19-2016, 11:07 PM
From my view, James is as fast as Green. No way Green is 4.5 as advertised. He is faster and can take the ball up field unlike James like mentioned earlier. He is no beast by far but is making a difference ? Yes he is but the answer with the offense is the true deep threat we had in Bryant last year and Coates the beginning of the season. We get that back and opens up everything for the star players.

Shoes
12-19-2016, 11:09 PM
Got to go OLB with in 1st or 2nd pick and backup QB with in the top 3 picks and wouldn't mind a TE in the 2nd as long as we address those two needs.

I agree with this. I can see Tomlin making a case for VT Bucky Hodges in R3 or R4. The kid has suction cup hands, but he does need to improve his blocking skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx1X2qN_pRY

Born2Steel
12-20-2016, 11:13 AM
The job this week is move the chains. We're going against a statistically dominant defense. Splash plays and huge gains will probably not be the norm. A possession receiver that can catch 8 yards a pop will work just fine. That helps with freeing up Bell and Williams a bit. If those 2 can average 4-6 yards a carry, I will be pleased. Move the chains. Points in the redzone. TDs preferred.

DesertSteel
12-20-2016, 12:00 PM
He is faster and can take the ball up field unlike James like mentioned earlier. He is no beast by far but is making a difference ? Yes he is but the answer with the offense is the true deep threat we had in Bryant last year and Coates the beginning of the season. We get that back and opens up everything for the star players.
I like Green, but "take the ball up field"? He hasn't shown that thus far. I'd like to see the two race because Green is not 4.5. I'd say 4.8 at best.

12-20-2016, 04:37 PM
I like Green, but "take the ball up field"? He hasn't shown that thus far. I'd like to see the two race because Green is not 4.5. I'd say 4.8 at best. Yes he can catch the ball and go forward decent but does seem to go down on first contact. James seems to catch the ball and ends up on the ground before contact. Not knocking either but what I see. Still both help out for what they can do.

- - - Updated - - -

Ps Green does seem to be faster then your average TE but so far he doesn't look like a blazer either.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and he is tall but Ben seems to think he is Shaq tall and over throws his height a lot I noticed.

SteelerFanInStl
12-20-2016, 05:52 PM
From my view, James is as fast as Green. No way Green is 4.5 as advertised.

I disagree. James looks like he's running in mud when he gets the ball. He's slow. Green doesn't seem to be showing the speed that he had but he's still able to get open deep. He might still be having issues from his ankle surgery.

Buckinnuts
12-20-2016, 06:03 PM
thats fine..jesse just catch the ball..how many have you dropped this year..?

ALLD
12-20-2016, 06:45 PM
JJ needs new gloves.

12-20-2016, 06:58 PM
I disagree. James looks like he's running in mud when he gets the ball. He's slow. Green doesn't seem to be showing the speed that he had but he's still able to get open deep. He might still be having issues from his ankle surgery. He is good at moving the chains on third down or a red zone TD but not much else and why I suggest drafting a TE in the first 3 rds next year.

86WARD
12-20-2016, 08:01 PM
I have faith in drafting a real TE in 2017. :grin:

Only in he 7th round.

Shoes
12-20-2016, 08:23 PM
Only in he 7th round.

:chuckle:

DesertSteel
12-20-2016, 08:25 PM
I disagree. James looks like he's running in mud when he gets the ball. He's slow. Green doesn't seem to be showing the speed that he had but he's still able to get open deep. He might still be having issues from his ankle surgery.
I'm guessing it's the ankle issue. Plus he still seems tentative, like when he didn't reach for the ball Sunday and Ben let him know about it. Lots of potential there..... but

- - - Updated - - -

He is good at moving the chains on third down or a red zone TD but not much else and why I suggest drafting a TE in the first 3 rds next year.
I really wanted Eifert when he came out.

12-21-2016, 12:49 AM
I'm guessing it's the ankle issue. Plus he still seems tentative, like when he didn't reach for the ball Sunday and Ben let him know about it. Lots of potential there..... but

- - - Updated - - -

I really wanted Eifert when he came out. Me to on Eifert but he is not looking that great now. Is that on him or Dalton ?