PDA

View Full Version : Keenan Lewis and Mendenhall looking good so far

hawaiiansteeler
06-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers OTA notes

June, 1, 2010
By James Walker

PITTSBURGH -- The Steelers took the practice field Tuesday with Ben Roethlisberger's much-anticipated return.

Here are several notes and observations:

* Roethlisberger played with the first team and he looked pretty good. He even looked slimmer than he did earlier this offseason. We will have more on Roethlisberger later in the AFC North blog.

* Veteran quarterback Byron Leftwich did not participate in practice -- he was out with an excused absence. It's unknown how the Steelers would have divided the snaps had Leftwich been available, because he has run the first team so far. At some point that will be something the Steelers have to figure out.

http://thisiswheretofindsports.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/rashard-mendenhall-2.jpg

* Rashard Mendenhall ran the ball well today. I try not to overrate football in shorts -- especially with running backs because there is no contact -- but Mendenhall looks very comfortable in his role as the go-to guy.

* Watch out for second-year cornerback Keenan Lewis. He's big and he's fast, which always looks impressive this time of year. Lewis will have to make a lot more plays in camps this year if he wants to earn playing time. But at the very least, he looks the part physically. Lewis will compete with William Gay and Joe Burnett for the nickel and dime roles.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...lers-ota-notes

Devilsdancefloor
06-01-2010, 08:07 PM
i hope lewis keeps it up and pushes for even a starting role! but but mendy is a bust just ask UFN :funny:

steelsoldier
06-01-2010, 08:21 PM
After last season I was pretty sure Mendy was the real deal but I am glad to hear Lewis may show something this year. Now maybe if Burnett improves this season and from what I have read about Butler we just may have us some conerbacks that can make some plays or at least stop some from happening.

kmsteelerwr15
06-01-2010, 08:31 PM
I really hope Lewis makes an impact this season. He could really help us in the secondary especially if he can make plays

Canadian Steeler Nation
06-01-2010, 08:41 PM
A few more interceptions by the DB's this year is a must

steelpride12
06-01-2010, 09:14 PM
That would be a huge plus for our secondary if Lewis can come out and make a starting spot on the team. His size and speed seems right for the NFL and he is very much under the radar. Keep it up in the practices kid, it will pay off!

JayC
06-01-2010, 09:38 PM
hoping for a true breakout year for mendenhall. i think he can do it.

Psycho Ward 86
06-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Lewis was rated by many as a 2nd round prospect, keep that in mind. He's got plenty of upside to go around.....and with Ray Horton and Dick Lebeau coaching, he could unleash that potential and any given moment. Don't count him out ladies and gents.

SteelerStrength
06-01-2010, 10:01 PM
That would be a huge plus for our secondary if Lewis can come out and make a starting spot on the team. His size and speed seems right for the NFL and he is very much under the radar. Keep it up in the practices kid, it will pay off!

I concur! Some added depth would provide some needed assurance in our secondary! The physicality is definitely something to smile about!

Psycho Ward 86
06-01-2010, 10:15 PM
We could all literally count the # of interceptions made by the cornerbacks last year on ONE HAND. I'd like that to change thank you very much.

Psycho Ward 86
06-01-2010, 10:16 PM
http://www.donnan.com/images/TC09_Keenan-Lewis.jpg

:love:

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-01-2010, 11:49 PM
The 2 guys I was biggest on us drafting last year were Lewis and Urbik. I think Lewis was too big at camp last year and a bit slower than he can be. I hope he can play around 200 lbs and fast. I'm hoping both of them impress in Latrobe this summer.

Steelman
06-01-2010, 11:57 PM
A Keenan Lewis that can step in and contribute at CB would be a very welcome addition. We have the cornerbacks. Now somebody needs to step up and distinguish themselves and bolster the unit.

focosteeler
06-02-2010, 12:50 AM
Tempers flared between rookie wide receiver Antonio Brown and second-year cornerback Keenan Lewis on Tuesday at Steelers practice.

The two exchanged punches yesterday after Lewis apparently took offense at a block that Brown threw during a running play. Coaches and teammates quickly pried the two apart, and there didn't appear to be any lingering animosity between Brown and Lewis.

Both were seen smiling later as Brown tried to explain his block to Lewis.

"He was mad because I had good position," Brown said. "At the end of the day, we're teammates. It's just the competitive nature, and when we go into the locker room we're buddies."

Brown said he has played with an edge since falling to the sixth round of the NFL Draft in April.

"The draft is over, so I can't worry about it anymore," the Central Michigan product said, "but I want to show people what I can do."

His feistiness showed something to veteran wide receiver Antwaan Randle El.

"Yeah, (but) you've go to know where to punch," Randle El said in reference to the blows Brown threw to Lewis' helmet.

• Wide receiver Hines Ward watched practice yesterday but didn't participate in it because of a strained left hamstring.

The 13-year veteran has been working with the younger wide receivers and said he will get some practice time in before the voluntary drills end on June 10.

• Fans will be able to buy tickets to individual home games for the 2010 season through Ticketmaster starting at 10 a.m. June 19.

There are a limited number of tickets available and a maximum of four per household can be purchased for regular-season games at Heinz Field. Fans can buy an unlimited number of tickets for the Steelers' two preseason games at home.

Tickets can only be purchased at Ticketmaster or by calling 1-800-745-3000.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_683981.html

Galax Steeler
06-02-2010, 03:55 AM
Sounds good I would love to see Mendenhall have his break out year and take the pressure and hits off of whoever is starting quarterback.

Aussie_steeler
06-02-2010, 04:57 AM
It would be good to see Keenan Lewis on the field this year ( in any role). My expectations are that he may be a starter by his 3rd year ( next). This years expectations are that he has a role in every game. It will take something stellar this training camp to get in front of Taylor and McFadden.

I do believe he will be a good player for the steelers down the road.

MULLDOG24
06-02-2010, 06:38 AM
We could all literally count the # of interceptions made by the cornerbacks last year on ONE HAND. I'd like that to change thank you very much.

I absolutely agree!!!!!

The Duke
06-02-2010, 05:42 PM
I have high hopes for Lewis. Many wanted a CB early in this year's draft as if Lewis was never drafted. He'll prove what he can do very soon

I remember some scouts sayinng he coul play FS though. Is that still possible?

We've seen what mendenhall can do and he will only get better imo

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-02-2010, 05:47 PM
I have high hopes for Lewis. Many wanted a CB early in this year's draft as if Lewis was never drafted. He'll prove what he can do very soon

I remember some scouts sayinng he coul play FS though. Is that still possible?

We've seen what mendenhall can do and he will only get better imo Lewis was something like 192 lbs as the combine and Senior Bowl...and played with real good quickness and change of direction. But, when he got to camp last year he was closer to 210lbs I think and he slowed down. I think that is the talk of him being possibly a FS.

He played a lot of man coverage in college, so I hope he can stay quick and be another tall CB kind of like Ike Taylor. The other guy people are forgetting about is Burnett. He is more of a classic cover 2 CB without long speed, but a real ballhawk in off man coverage.

RushHard34
06-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Why am i suddenly becoming a huge fan of Antonio Brown as of late??? Seems he has the confidence to hang with us....

But its good to hear that Lewis is lookin good, however, we're only in shorts yet...

Chidi29
06-02-2010, 07:34 PM
From the little I got to watch of Lewis, he seems like a really physical, "Mix it up" corner. What happened between him and Brown furthers that point. Don't really have any guys like him who could potentially jam. Wonder how LeBeau will use him in that passive zone, in regards to the way our cornerbacks line up, that is.

Prok
06-02-2010, 07:38 PM
From the little I got to watch of Lewis, he seems like a really physical, "Mix it up" corner. What happened between him and Brown furthers that point. Don't really have any guys like him who could potentially jam. Wonder how LeBeau will use him in that passive zone, in regards to the way our cornerbacks line up, that is.

Hey welcome aboard my friend. :)

Chidi29
06-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Hey welcome aboard my friend. :)

Hey Prok. Good to see you again. How's it going?

Psycho Ward 86
06-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Why am i suddenly becoming a huge fan of Antonio Brown as of late??? Seems he has the confidence to hang with us....

But its good to hear that Lewis is lookin good, however, we're only in shorts yet...

All that swag he seems to have right now? He's had that since the combine started, you should've heard him talking. I love kids who play with a chip on their shoulder.

Nadroj 20
06-02-2010, 09:31 PM
All that swag he seems to have right now? He's had that since the combine started, you should've heard him talking. I love kids who play with a chip on their shoulder.

For sure...

They can sometimes be very dangerous....i hoping we got ourselves a good one in Brown. We will see

BlastFurnace
06-02-2010, 10:08 PM
I have high hopes for Lewis in our defense. Here are our CB's going into the pre-season.

Taylor
BMAC
Gay
Lewis
Burnett
Butler

...and two guys just there for the pre-season
Pittman
Williams

Last year, we kept 5 CB's coming out of pre-season. Two of them are off the roster...Townsend and Ratliff. You would think that is the amount they are going to keep this season as well. One problem could be alleviated of keeping 6 if one of them can back up at safety as well. I have read that Butler is really having a good camp at OTA's right now.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-02-2010, 10:09 PM

Watch some Steeler games from the past 5 years and you will see that LeBeau rarely plays press man coverage. Therefore you will not see a lot of Steeler CB's that need to "jam".

Steelers play a lot more "off man" coverage and that is probably the issue with Keenan Lewis. If you watched any of his tape from Oregon St, you can notice that they played a lot of man coverage, so he was used to a style of CB play that the Raiders or Bills played a lot more. He likes to come up and run support and plays aggressive. Steelers CB.

tube517
06-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Lewis needs to step up and contribute like his old High School buddy Mike Wallace did.

hawaiiansteeler
06-04-2010, 01:36 AM
Lewis needs to step up and contribute like his old High School buddy Mike Wallace did.

wow, wouldn't that be nice...with Keenan Lewis and rookie CB Crezdon Butler looking good so far hopefully we won't see a repeat of last year when QBs like Bruce Gradkowski looked like Pro Bowlers against us.

Galax Steeler
06-04-2010, 03:52 AM
I can just see the running game getting back to where it needs to be this year. Urbik and Pouncey running with the first team. Hopefully that will help open up some holes for Mendenhall and Dwyer.

Psycho Ward 86
06-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Urbik is running with the first team?

Chidi29
06-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Watch some Steeler games from the past 5 years and you will see that LeBeau rarely plays press man coverage. Therefore you will not see a lot of Steeler CB's that need to "jam".

Steelers play a lot more "off man" coverage and that is probably the issue with Keenan Lewis. If you watched any of his tape from Oregon St, you can notice that they played a lot of man coverage, so he was used to a style of CB play that the Raiders or Bills played a lot more. He likes to come up and run support and plays aggressive. Steelers CB.

I know that, that's why I said that LeBeau played a passive zone. And that's why I wondered how Lewis will be used because of the conflict between his strengths and the scheme.

hawaiiansteeler
06-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Urbik is running with the first team?

Hartwig has not been practicing at all and Legursky was out for a couple of days with an injury. Only then was Urbik running first team at center, now that Legursky is back Urbik has once again been alternating with Pouncey on the second and third teams at center.

Steeldude
06-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Lewis will compete with William Gay and Joe Burnett for the nickel and dime roles

i think it would be better if they didn't hand the starting job to mcfadden

SteelMember
06-04-2010, 07:54 PM
i think it would be better if they didn't hand the starting job to mcfadden

Agreed. Gotta prove your worth.

Guys like Hines have that mentality every year... He still wears his name taped to his helmet every camp like some kinda rookie.

He carries that chip on his shoulder pretty well.

ChosenOne
06-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Mendenhall looked great last season and it's good to hear he's improving. I hope Keenan Lewis sure does continue to rise and eventually get much more playing time in '10.

steeldevil
06-04-2010, 08:19 PM
I agree that mcfadden should not be handed the starting job automatically. even though it is doubtful one of the young guys beats him out, the challenge and opprotunity will make them work that much harder and hopefully they will be dependable nickel and dime backs for the time being

Soufjerzz
06-04-2010, 09:31 PM
First post on SU I was the definition on SF, its great to hear Mendy is running well. Im hoping a full offseason as the starter helps him build chemistry with the O-Line. He is gonna be huge for us the first 4 to 6 games.

hawaiiansteeler
06-05-2010, 02:24 PM
First post on SU I was the definition on SF, its great to hear Mendy is running well. Im hoping a full offseason as the starter helps him build chemistry with the O-Line. He is gonna be huge for us the first 4 to 6 games.

i agree, but i hope we don't run Mendy until his wheels fall off either. it would be nice if Mewelde can be the 3rd down back and either Dwyer or Redman can win the short-yardage back job in order to lessen Mendy's load a little and keep him from being injured.