PDA

View Full Version : Balance

Craic
12-16-2016, 03:13 PM
Something that just struck me, and I wanted to throw it up here for discussion, is the balance of the offense. Maybe this discussion will go somewhere, maybe it won't, but nevertheless . . .

I posted a few years ago that I wanted to see a much better balance to the offense. By balance, I meant not that I wanted to see a 50/50 split between running and passing each game, but rather, a balanced offense that could pass the ball 70 percent of time in one game, then turn around in the next game against a bad run defense and run the ball 70 percent of the time, and do so effectively. It seems to me that now, four or five years later, that's exactly what we have.

So, I peaked at the stats to see if the numbers back up what I was thinking. Although these stats could mean a lot of things, we have two players who are both over 1000 yards for offense: a receiver for reception yards and a RB for rushing. Moreover, we are 8th in average yards per rush and 9th in total rushing yards this season. For passing, we are 9th and and 10th, respectively. The only stat that throws any shadow on this is attempts - we are 9th in passing attempts and 18th in rushing attempts. However, that stat may be exaggerated, as the dump pass to Bell (or hitting him on a wheel) is basically a run.

What has changed from a few years ago? Well . . . 1. The o-line. Yes, Munchak gets much credit. But we also need to credit the players who have grown up in this system and now work together as a unit. Moreover, they seem to be strong enough of a unit that they can bring in second stringers and let them play well—perhaps a testimony to clubhouse leadership among the trench players. 2. RBs. We went out and got perhaps the top RB in the league—and one who is perhaps one of the top 15 wide receivers in the NFL as well. I have not been so confident in a RB's play since Jerome Bettis. 3. Ben. As I've said before, he seems to have improved his game the last couple of years. Yes, he has down games still—Ben is more of a hot-streak QB than a consistent QB, although Ben's cold-streaks (when not coming back from missing games due to injury) are better than half the starting QBs in the NFL today.

Maybe "balance" isn't the phrase I'm looking for, but rather, "consistent," as in I want them to be consistently good both running and passing the ball, enabling them to switch back and forth depending on the defense they're playing. Of course, that brings up another issue - are we using the offense's weapons in good matchups against defenses?

Mojouw
12-16-2016, 04:01 PM
I would be okay with "balance" or maybe "multi-dimensional"?

I think that the state of the offense comes down to maybe a bunch of things "coming together"?

1. The improved play and quality of players on the o-line.
3. Haley has either fit his system to the players or found the players to fit his system. But this offense puts guys in position to excel.
4. The run game and the pass game are complementing one another - even beyond the stats posted above (Great stuff BTW). They have run plays that look like the pass play that just hurt you for 20+ yards and vice versa. Maybe they are even "option" plays that Ben and company are executing to perfection, I don't know. But it forces defenses to make a series of "no win" decisions.

Can you imagine what this is going to look like when Bryant comes back? Assuming he does return to 2015 form? AB and Bryant on the outside. Coawhegers in the slot, Green at TE, and Bell in the backfield. What package do you even play as a defense? Base to stop a run? Who stops the deep ball? Nickel? Who covers the TE and the RB? Dime? Who stops the run.

tube517
12-16-2016, 04:07 PM

I think that the state of the offense comes down to maybe a bunch of things "coming together"?

3. Haley has either fit his system to the players or found the players to fit his system. But this offense puts guys in position to excel.
4. The run game and the pass game are complementing one another - even beyond the stats posted above (Great stuff BTW). They have run plays that look like the pass play that just hurt you for 20+ yards and vice versa. Maybe they are even "option" plays that Ben and company are executing to perfection, I don't know. But it forces defenses to make a series of "no win" decisions.

Can you imagine what this is going to look like when Bryant comes back? Assuming he does return to 2015 form? AB and Bryant on the outside. Coawhegers in the slot, Green at TE, and Bell in the backfield. What package do you even play as a defense? Base to stop a run? Who stops the deep ball? Nickel? Who covers the TE and the RB? Dime? Who stops the run.

This is what I am looking forward to next year.

Coawhegers LOL

Psycho Ward 86
12-16-2016, 06:39 PM

Coawhegers?

tube517
12-16-2016, 06:42 PM
Coawhegers?

Coates/Wheaton/Rogers

43Hitman
12-16-2016, 08:04 PM

To add to that a young fast defense that is coming into its own. Good luck playing from behind if your the opponent.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-17-2016, 05:36 AM
With this team who needs balance ? You have the top rb and wr as well in Brown in the league and a top 3 qb. What teams stop, burn them with the other.

GBMelBlount
12-17-2016, 06:53 AM
With the top RB & WR and a top 3 QB, we should be scoring 35 ppg.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-17-2016, 08:16 AM
With the top RB & WR and a top 3 QB, we should be scoring 35 ppg. Agreed and in my opinion depends on what Ben is showing up.

Iron Steeler
12-17-2016, 09:24 AM
The defense is the last peice of ghe puzzle. They are one of the fastest out there... but need to tackle better. That will come to them when they start to recognize things quicker.

Bud dupree tho... damn that boy is fast.

GBMelBlount
12-17-2016, 09:42 AM
The defense is the last peice of ghe puzzle. They are one of the fastest out there... but need to tackle better. That will come to them when they start to recognize things quicker.

Bud dupree tho... damn that boy is fast.

Absolute Freak.

Kentucky’s Bud Dupree shows off freak athleticism at Combine

"Dupree’s unofficial 40-yard dash time of 4.57 seconds was faster than all but nine of the running backs...."

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/kentucky-football/bud-dupree-stands-out-at-combine/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnKnjXUe3Uw

teegre
12-17-2016, 09:46 AM
Shazier beat all of our receivers (AB, Bryant, DHB) in a foot race... and Shazier is 50 lbs. heavier than most of them.

DesertSteel
12-17-2016, 11:35 AM
With the top RB & WR and a top 3 QB, we should be scoring 35 ppg.
i'm happy with one more than the opponent. This team will never average 30+.

pczach
12-18-2016, 07:58 AM
i'm happy with one more than the opponent. This team will never average 30+.

It would be nice to have all of them on the field for an entire season for once to find out what they are capable of.

I think they can do it, and will next year. It's very difficult to do when you play outside in a cold weather city and a cold weather division, but I think they really can get it done if the suspensions go away and the injuries are minimal.

teegre
12-18-2016, 09:20 AM
It would be nice to have all of them on the field for an entire season for once to find out what they are capable of.

I think they can do it, and will next year. It's very difficult to do when you play outside in a cold weather city and a cold weather division, but I think they really can get it done if the suspensions go away and the injuries are minimal.

I heard a stat that when the three B's (BB, AB, Bell) are on the field at the same time, the Steelers are 11 games over .500. When one of them is missing, they're only 1 game over .500.

As I've averred (ad nauseum): when all three are clicking, no team can keep up.