PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals cut Michael Floyd after DUI arrest, should we enterain the idea of claiming him of waivers?

Iron Steeler
12-14-2016, 04:07 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000756927/article/arizona-cardinals-cut-michael-floyd-after-dui-arrest

Michael Floyd's disastrous 2016 season has cost him a job.

The Arizona Cardinals announced Wednesday that they have released the wide receiver in the wake of Monday's arrest on drunken driving charges. Floyd was previously arrested in 2011 for driving under the influence.

A number solid number 2 wide out is our missing piece of the puzzle right now.

What you guys think?

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-14-2016, 04:17 PM
Talented but no in my opinion and we already have what it takes if Coates ever gets through his three month fingers injury.

SteelerFanInStl
12-14-2016, 04:18 PM
I would say no. He's talented but way too inconsistent. Drops a lot of passes.

12-14-2016, 04:24 PM
I would say no. He's talented but way too inconsistent. Drops a lot of passes. Won't matter and some team will grab him ahead of us. That said still pass and pretty much proves Arians wont be nominated for coach of the year this season.

Mojouw
12-14-2016, 04:53 PM
Catches less than 50% of his targets. Totally fell off a cliff this year in a contract year. 3rd-4th best WR on his own team. And the DUI on top of it.

I'd rather hope that Coates turns it around.

ALLD
12-14-2016, 05:04 PM
Haven't we learned our lesson with headcase WRs?

12-14-2016, 05:33 PM
Catches less than 50% of his targets. Totally fell off a cliff this year in a contract year. 3rd-4th best WR on his own team. And the DUI on top of it.

I'd rather hope that Coates turns it around. Me too but really had broken fingers and thumbs that healed with in 4 to 6 weeks and what is taking him so long? That said way to late in the season to take a chance on him and his personality that comes with him.

86WARD
12-14-2016, 05:40 PM
I'd take him in a second. Most of his issues this year have been with Palmer. He's been extremely bad this season and Arians isn't helping the issues there. IMO he's the latest poster child in the long line of change is better.

Iron Steeler
12-14-2016, 06:18 PM
In 2015 his last 5 games werw ridiculouslt good.

Something doesn't add up for this year. I really think he got the yips since he was in a contract year.

lipps83
12-14-2016, 06:21 PM
Meh, Martavis Bryant comes back next year and then....

commence winning multiple Super Bowls.

12-14-2016, 06:45 PM
I'd take him in a second. Most of his issues this year have been with Palmer. He's been extremely bad this season and Arians isn't helping the issues there. IMO he's the latest poster child in the long line of change is better. Talent is there and so is the baggage and would be early in the season I say yes take chance. To late in the season now in my opinion. That said he will be picked up by a lesser team before us anyhow. He won't slip past those crazy Browns!

Iron Steeler
12-14-2016, 06:59 PM
I would take a chance. I am not sure how the payouts work. But I feel that the Pats will take a chance because they are itching for pass catcher .

I say take him

12-14-2016, 07:05 PM
I would take a chance. I am not sure how the payouts work. But I feel that the Pats will take a chance because they are itching for pass catcher .

I say take him Again doubt he gets by the Browns and don't it go worse record has first choice ?

SteelerFanInStl
12-14-2016, 07:10 PM
Won't matter and some team will grab him ahead of us. That said still pass and pretty much proves Arians wont be nominated for coach of the year this season.

I agree. Someone will claim him off of waivers.

Iron Steeler
12-14-2016, 07:16 PM
Again doubt he gets by the Browns and don't it go worse record has first choice ?

Your right reverse order... but if he clears in 48hrs I would at least meet with him.

st33lersguy
12-14-2016, 07:23 PM
2 words: Karlos Williams

Mojouw
12-14-2016, 07:48 PM
I just don't get the love for Floyd. He looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane. He got passed in the Cardinals attack by John Brown and JJ Nelson - and that was last year before Carson Palmer turned in to a noodle armed turnover machine.

Steel 36 Bus
12-14-2016, 07:55 PM
He's got a Drinking problem. I am a lifelong ND fan and if I remember correctly he got in trouble at ND for underage drinking. He has got the talent and the physical ability. but the alcohol is taking it away. another young guy who is letting vices take him down.

12-14-2016, 11:16 PM
I just don't get the love for Floyd. He looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane. He got passed in the Cardinals attack by John Brown and JJ Nelson - and that was last year before Carson Palmer turned in to a noodle armed turnover machine.Looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane. Didn't Mel Kipper mention that about Landry Jones ?

86WARD
12-15-2016, 03:31 AM

I say take him

I think it's something like $860k you would owe him for the last two games. I think he had a $7.2M contract.

Steeldude
12-15-2016, 04:13 AM
Your right reverse order... but if he clears in 48hrs I would at least meet with him.

Why? So the Steelers can lead the NFL in most players with suspensions? Let the Bengals, Cowboys or Raiders pick him up.

Iron Steeler
12-15-2016, 06:45 AM
Well we dont know if he has a suspension yet.

I really just dont want the pats to get him

Steeldude
12-15-2016, 07:15 AM
Well we dont know if he has a suspension yet.

I really just dont want the pats to get him

Yes, but that is the type of person he is. Why add another headcase to the team?

Born2Steel
12-15-2016, 07:42 AM
Forget everything else about him. 50% drops. No thanks.

st33lersguy
12-15-2016, 08:23 AM
We have enough character problems on this team, let's not add another one

BlackAndGold
12-15-2016, 08:38 AM
I'm sure Ben would like him, the team...can't see it.

steelerdude15
12-15-2016, 02:16 PM
There isn't a need for him on the team. We already have Antonio, Hey-Bey, and Marty for our starting 3.

pczach
12-15-2016, 03:01 PM
I just don't see how adding a player at a position that is difficult to master in a short time can help with three games left. When you add to that his possible personal demons and the amount of roster spots that are already filled with young inexpensive talent, and it's hard to justify making that move.

I'm not really sure he's an upgrade from anyone they already have when they're healthy.

BlackAndGold
12-15-2016, 03:09 PM
Via Mark Kaboly, The Steelers are 22nd on the wavier wire. Unlikely the team would have a chance at him.

BlackAndGold
12-15-2016, 03:19 PM
The Pats have claimed Floyd.

Meaning Pittsburgh passed on him.

86WARD
12-15-2016, 03:33 PM
I just don't see how adding a player at a position that is difficult to master in a short time can help with three games left. When you add to that his possible personal demons and the amount of roster spots that are already filled with young inexpensive talent, and it's hard to justify making that move.

I'm not really sure he's an upgrade from anyone they already have when they're healthy.

It's not that difficult to master anymore. You see rookies and second year guys come in and master it instantly nowadays. It used be a three year learning curve, but now they come in and are productive day one in some cases.

86WARD
12-15-2016, 03:34 PM

So Floyd possibly just had the best DUI of all time. Went from a mess that is Arians and the Cardinals to Belichick, the Patriots and a great chance at a Super Bowl ring.

pczach
12-15-2016, 03:46 PM
It's not that difficult to master anymore. You see rookies and second year guys come in and master it instantly nowadays. It used be a three year learning curve, but now they come in and are productive day one in some cases.

Only if you give them simple assignments where they don't need to make quick reads of the defense and adjustments of the routes on the fly. All those reads and assignments are built into each individual offense,so the play book and reads need to be mastered before they can be fully implemented into the system. Ladarius Green had all of training camp and half the season to learn everything, and he is still making mistakes and you see other guys talking to him.

There's a lot to it to be at optimal efficiency.

Iron Steeler
12-15-2016, 03:48 PM
ugh fucking patriots

pczach
12-15-2016, 03:48 PM
So Floyd possibly just had the best DUI of all time. Went from a mess that is Arians and the Cardinals to Belichick, the Patriots and a great chance at a Super Bowl ring.

Yeah really. He is going from that shit show to a model of consistency and discipline.

It's a great opportunity for him.

Mojouw
12-15-2016, 03:49 PM
Only if you give them simple assignments where they don't need to make quick reads of the defense and adjustments of the routes on the fly. All those reads and assignments are built into each individual offense,so the play book and reads need to be mastered before they can be fully implemented into the system. Ladarius Green had all of training camp and half the season to learn everything, and he is still making mistakes and you see other guys talking to him.

There's a lot to it to be at optimal efficiency.

Great points. There was an interview somewhere either late last season or this off-season with DHB. He talked extensively about how difficult it is to play WR in the Steelers offense. He pointed out that there basically are no set plays/routes for the most part. Each of the receivers (X-Y-Z, RB, TE, etc) basically have to read the same thing(s) as the QB and adjust on the fly.

That doesn't sound like something that you can just pick-up in a few practices.

86WARD
12-15-2016, 03:51 PM
I won't argue that...but we are seeing, in this day and age, that the learning curve is a lot shorter than the three years it used to be. There are some rookies coming in and being extremely successful and productive. It wouldn't be out of the question that he could produce in the Steelers offense. Look at Rogers for example. Hamilton. Floyd is arguably more talented than both of those guys.

In this case, Floyd is very familiar with the Patriots offense having played in it at Notre Dame...I doubt that he will, but the potential for him to be successful immediately is there and if he is, NE will probably get him signed in the off season on the cheap.

Mojouw
12-15-2016, 03:59 PM
Someone called it earlier - Karlos Williams. Same story, different substance. Maybe he stops drinking long enough to get it together and flourish. He wasn't drafted high for no reason.

I don't see it. Deep threat with suspect hands and a drinking problem that many think dates back to college.

I see why the Pats took a chance on him, but I also see why Steelers didn't.

SteelerFanInStl
12-15-2016, 05:37 PM
ugh fucking patriots

Yea, exactly. All of these shitty teams that didn't put a claim in for him.

Born2Steel
12-16-2016, 09:12 AM

Again....50% drops. We can't use that.

Psycho Ward 86
12-16-2016, 11:25 AM
Again....50% drops. We can't use that.

we could use it more than Sammie Coates catching 1 out of his last 15 targets

Iron Steeler
12-16-2016, 01:37 PM
Michael Flloyd last 5 games of 2015 was ridiculous.

catches yards td
7 104 0
5 102 1
5 70 0
6 111 0

My honest opinion I think Floyd got the yips because he was in a contract year. He couldn't handle the pressure. Still very talented,,, now the Pats will have that missing piece of the puzzle.

any other team could have taken him I would be ok with it!

Mojouw
12-16-2016, 01:48 PM
Michael Flloyd last 5 games of 2015 was ridiculous.

catches yards td
7 104 0
5 102 1
5 70 0
6 111 0

My honest opinion I think Floyd got the yips because he was in a contract year. He couldn't handle the pressure. Still very talented,,, now the Pats will have that missing piece of the puzzle.

any other team could have taken him I would be ok with it!

He then disappeared like a frightened turtle in the playoffs. Then came out this season and stunk. He is a 27 year old 5 year vet that has put up mostly mediocre stats despite being handed the #2 job in a high-octane offense. The most he is going to do for the Pats is to run a bunch of "Go" routes to give all those Welker clones the Pats trot out room to work underneath.

If the Steelers want someone to do that they can just send Coates out there. Prior to breaking his hand, Coates was putting up better numbers than Floyd. So what purpose would Floyd serve? Unless he plays Special Teams...

Finally, who do you cut if you pick-up Floyd. And before anyone says Jarvis Jones, realize that that will simply not happen. No way a 3-4 team cuts linebacker depth in the stretch run for a WR.

Could Floyd help the Pats, the Steelers, or almost any team? Maybe. Is there likely more going on then one DUI? I would be willing to bet on it. The whole smoke there's fire thing. If the Cardinals thought Floyd was legit, the would easily overlook a DUI. But they didn't. In fact they cut him almost immediately. This is a team that has shown a tolerance for character concern guys (although to be fair most have not gotten in trouble in the NFL). I suspect that they know Floyd is a drunk and they know it is affecting his play.

BlackAndGold
12-16-2016, 02:11 PM
I'm not even sure he'll make an impact with the Pats. That playbook is known to be a difficult learning curve. Most likely a red zone option.

But either way, they get first dibs to (re) sign him in the offseason, if not, they'll receive a comp pick for him in 2018.

teegre
12-16-2016, 02:20 PM
they'll receive a comp pick for him in 2018.

Yep.
The Taperiots just purchased a R5 pick.

I gotta give Belichick credit: he knows how to finagle the rules. Sign a guy for two games, pay him some money (whether he plays or not is insignificant), and let him sign somewhere else... gaining a R5 pick for $860,000.

Mojouw
12-16-2016, 02:47 PM
Yep.
The Taperiots just purchased a R5 pick.

I gotta give Belichick credit: he knows how to finagle the rules. Sign a guy for two games, pay him some money (whether he plays or not is insignificant), and let him sign somewhere else... gaining a R5 pick for $860,000.

If that's the case, I now understand why they did this. Was struggling to find a reason before. However, it may not be the case. Floyd might not be eligible:

From some random blog post - http://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/
"In order to qualify for the comp equation, a player must have been a true Unrestricted Free Agent whose contract had expired or was voided after the previous season (i.e., he cannot have been released by his old team); he must sign during the UFA signing period (which ended July 27 last year); if he signs after June 1
, he must have been tendered a June 1 qualifying offer by his old team; his compensatory value or contract value must be above a specific minimum amount; and he cannot have been permanently released by his new team before a certain point in the season (which seems to be after Week 10) or, possibly, before getting a certain amount of playing time, unless he was claimed off waivers by another team."

If Floyd is eligible, that is a pretty big loop-hole that I applaud Patriots for exploiting, but should really be closed by the league. It is basically "buying" a draft pick. In a salary cap enforced parity driven league that is a "competitive advantage".

j-d-s
12-16-2016, 02:51 PM

He just shouldn't get a DUI again or even do something else to piss Belicheat off. If you're in his doghouse, you are as good as gone.

Psycho Ward 86
12-16-2016, 03:29 PM
I'm not even sure he'll make an impact with the Pats. That playbook is known to be a difficult learning curve. Most likely a red zone option.

But either way, they get first dibs to (re) sign him in the offseason, if not, they'll receive a comp pick for him in 2018.

thats fair. Chad Johnson didnt do shit when he was on the patriots. i suppose we do forget sometimes that not every pats pick up pan out

86WARD
12-16-2016, 10:21 PM

He's already familiar with "The Charlie Weiss Playbook" having been in the offense at Notre Dame so there's a good chance that the learning curve could be small with Flotd.

12-17-2016, 05:20 AM
BS that everything falls in the Pats lap like this and can't believe some crap team didn't take him before them. Amazing also how they always get a 1 pick in trades for garbage from other teams almost every year. I wouldn't want to be in a fantasy football league with Belichick. He will be killing it every year. Of course bet most in the league would be smarter then most dumb as owners, GM's and coaches in the NFL.

teegre
12-17-2016, 09:36 AM
If that's the case, I now understand why they did this. Was struggling to find a reason before. However, it may not be the case. Floyd might not be eligible:

From some random blog post - http://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/
"In order to qualify for the comp equation, a player must have been a true Unrestricted Free Agent whose contract had expired or was voided after the previous season (i.e., he cannot have been released by his old team); he must sign during the UFA signing period (which ended July 27 last year); if he signs after June 1
, he must have been tendered a June 1 qualifying offer by his old team; his compensatory value or contract value must be above a specific minimum amount; and he cannot have been permanently released by his new team before a certain point in the season (which seems to be after Week 10) or, possibly, before getting a certain amount of playing time, unless he was claimed off waivers by another team."

If Floyd is eligible, that is a pretty big loop-hole that I applaud Patriots for exploiting, but should really be closed by the league. It is basically "buying" a draft pick. In a salary cap enforced parity driven league that is a "competitive advantage".

That last line "unless he gets claimed off waivers" seems like the loophole to me.

I hope that I'm wrong.

86WARD
12-17-2016, 06:49 PM
If it were to work out that way, as much as you want to hate the Patriots, they probably have the best grasp on on and off field rules of any team in the league.

Born2Steel
12-19-2016, 11:17 AM
we could use it more than Sammie Coates catching 1 out of his last 15 targets

Coates is dealing with a broken/surgically repaired finger. As an NFL WR, what's Floyd's reason?

fansince'76
12-19-2016, 11:33 AM
If it were to work out that way, as much as you want to hate the Patriots, they probably have the best grasp on on and off field rules of any team in the league.

Seems doubtful, considering how often they break them...oh, excuse me, "misinterpret" them...

http://images.scribblelive.com/2015/1/22/17bf744a-ca1e-48fb-8c86-6488e1230dd5.jpg

The bell ringer
12-21-2016, 01:57 PM
Absolutely not. I am sorry but to me Character matters. And this guy has major Character Issues. More then Marijuna...Drinking & driving causes more deaths and major injuries to innocent people then all the other causes of deaths combined. And I also am very upset at Goodell. He is such a hypocrite. I mean he has suspended players with infractions not even as close to as bad as Floyd has with his long history of DUI's. And yet Goodell is doing nothing with him. Letting a team claim him, and play him. I think Floyd will actually hurt the Patriots as it goes to Karma.

I know there are a lot of Patriot players who in all likelihood are not happy with the Patriot management just claiming this guy and giving him a roster spot over their own PS guys who have been busting their butts all year, and who have a understanding of the playbook and with the current players.

tube517
12-21-2016, 03:27 PM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18326276/wr-michael-floyd-had-bac-217-was-arrested-dui

43Hitman
12-21-2016, 03:52 PM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18326276/wr-michael-floyd-had-bac-217-was-arrested-dui Damn. His BAC was almost three times the legal limit here in Va.. This guy needs help.

Moose
12-21-2016, 04:32 PM
Easy question.....HELL NO !

Iron Steeler
12-24-2016, 10:42 AM
We say that until he is killing us in a pats uniform.

fansince'76
12-24-2016, 10:51 AM

I doubt he has the brains to make it in their offense. Chad Johnson certainly didn't.

The bell ringer
12-24-2016, 10:55 AM

Signing him would have been a disaster for us, and will be for the Pats. I guarantee most if not all the current Patriots will resent him. And it's not like he is even gonna make it to the playoffs for them. In all likelihood he will either be Dead!, or in a Drunken Coma. I mean how smart was it to sign him knowing that you end your season on the road IN MIAMI! ?...South Beach ? Lets see, New Years eve, in a Hotel..in Miami awaiting the New Years day game...yeah, I am sure Floyd will be 100 % Sober :drink: :puke: