PDA

View Full Version : Some Interesting Stats . . .

Craic
12-04-2016, 10:51 PM
I was just looking through stats, and I came across a couple interesting ones.

1. Sacks. Opposing defenses have only sacked Pittsburgh QBs 14 times this year so far. We are tied with the Giants and two behind the Raiders for the least sacks on our QB. After a few years ago, I never thought I'd see that again.

2. Steelers are 9th in keeping the ball safe (turnover percentage).

3. And this one surprised me: Steelers are 7th best in the league in passing TDs against. However, they are 22nd in the league in Running TDs against.

4. Defense is 13th in percentage of drives ending in a score.

5. For all the concern over not getting turnovers, Steelers are now exactly average for percent of turnovers per drive.

These stats do not include today's game.

Rotorhead
12-05-2016, 01:36 AM
Now that the offense is waking up with Green, Eli and Hamilton starting to take pressure off AB, things may start getting good. The biggest issue we need to clean up is the stupid penalties! Dupree will need a couple more games (I hope less) to round into midseason form also. Hargrave needs to heal up.

fansince'76
12-05-2016, 02:34 AM
Now that the offense is waking up with Green, Eli and Hamilton starting to take pressure off AB, things may start getting good. The biggest issue we need to clean up is the stupid penalties! Dupree will need a couple more games (I hope less) to round into midseason form also. Hargrave needs to heal up.

Burns and Davis really seem to be coming along as well.

Steeldude
12-05-2016, 03:57 AM
Burns and Davis really seem to be coming along as well.

I liked how the Steelers' defensive players realized they can use their hands and arms to wrap up a ball carrier. I have no idea why it takes them 9+ weeks to remember how to tackle. Haha.

I am hoping they don't get cocky next week. I don't want to see flying shoulder tackles.

lipps83
12-05-2016, 08:30 AM
I have no idea why it takes them 9+ weeks to remember how to tackle. Haha.

This.

I don't get why it takes the whole team until the last remaining weeks to get into regular season form. It seems for the last 5 years or so they don't turn it on until December.

'Tomlin is tough in December' was said a gazillion times yesterday. What the hell is wrong with also being tough in September, October and November?

I am tired of all the stress, tears and ulcers that come by halfway through each season, only to be relieved because they 'come alive' in December.

They need to realize they are also alive every other month.

Stop playing dead until December.

GBMelBlount
12-05-2016, 09:03 AM
The defense is giving up an average of slightly under 20 ppg just like last year...and we should only get better.

On offense, while I am not sure Green will give us the extra 10 points per game that Teegre predicts, it looks like he may be the missing piece!

Born2Steel
12-05-2016, 11:10 AM
This.

I don't get why it takes the whole team until the last remaining weeks to get into regular season form. It seems for the last 5 years or so they don't turn it on until December.

'Tomlin is tough in December' was said a gazillion times yesterday. What the hell is wrong with also being tough in September, October and November?

I am tired of all the stress, tears and ulcers that come by halfway through each season, only to be relieved because they 'come alive' in December.

Not sure about the last 5 years, but this season it was pretty obvious to me why they took a while to gel. Start with the suspensions, injuries, retirement of Heath, and overall 'rookieness' of this team. 11 men have to be on the same page every snap to be successful. Took a while, almost too long, to see some positive results this year. But think how bright the future looks right now.

- - - Updated - - -

The defense is giving up an average of slightly under 20 ppg just like last year...and we should only get better.

On offense, while I am not sure Green will give us the extra 10 points per game that Teegre predicts, it looks like he may be the missing piece!

Love how the defense is playing right now. Just seeing the young guns out there making plays has me excited about the future as well.

teegre
12-05-2016, 01:14 PM
As I've stated in a few threads...

This defense is young, and young is inconsistent.

16, 16, 34...
14, 13, 30...
27 to the AFC #2 seed,
35 to the NFC #1 seed,
9, 7, 14...

That is EIGHT games where the defense held the opposition to 16 points or under.

SUMMATION:
Once they become more experienced, they'll keep every team below 21ppg (with an average around 17ppg).

86WARD
12-05-2016, 02:36 PM
I liked how the Steelers' defensive players realized they can use their hands and arms to wrap up a ball carrier. I have no idea why it takes them 9+ weeks to remember how to tackle. Haha.

I am hoping they don't get cocky next week. I don't want to see flying shoulder tackles.

9+ weeks? What about the 5 years before...lol. It was a nice display of tackling yesterday...I must say...

Steeldude
12-06-2016, 03:02 AM
9+ weeks? What about the 5 years before...lol. It was a nice display of tackling yesterday...I must say...

I mean 9+ weeks each season : )

86WARD
12-06-2016, 07:26 AM
Lol

Craic
12-06-2016, 01:21 PM
This.

Actually, they were tough in September, winning 2/3rds of their games. October they went 2 and 2, but one of those was against NE without Ben, and they still were in the game in the fourth quarter. Ben came back too soon for the Baltimore game. Outside of that, they went 2-1 in November.

Mojouw
12-06-2016, 05:09 PM
Actually, they were tough in September, winning 2/3rds of their games. October they went 2 and 2, but one of those was against NE without Ben, and they still were in the game in the fourth quarter. Ben came back too soon for the Baltimore game. Outside of that, they went 2-1 in November.

Shhh! You're interfering with the "alt-Steelers" narrative. Let's also not point out that 23 of 32 franchises are +/_ 2 games from .500 records.

Facts and Context only serve to ruin a good rant!

Hawkman
12-06-2016, 06:52 PM
Shhh! You're interfering with the "alt-Steelers" narrative. Let's also not point out that 23 of 32 franchises are +/_ 2 games from .500 records.

Facts and Context only serve to ruin a good rant!

There you go again Mojouw

lipps83
12-06-2016, 07:48 PM

That's not what I was saying. You missed the point I was trying to make. Re-read the post I was replying to again, as well as my own post. I was referring to the actual play of the individuals themselves, not necessarily the outcome of games.

Then you may actually see what I was referring to.

Not sure about the last 5 years, but this season it was pretty obvious to me why they took a while to gel. Start with the suspensions, injuries, retirement of Heath, and overall 'rookieness' of this team. 11 men have to be on the same page every snap to be successful. Took a while, almost too long, to see some positive results this year. But think how bright the future looks right now.

This is a well though out rebuttal to my point and more along the lines of what I was looking for in a response.

Craic
12-06-2016, 10:19 PM
That's not what I was saying. You missed the point I was trying to make. Re-read the post I was replying to again, as well as my own post. I was referring to the actual play of the individuals themselves, not necessarily the outcome of games.

Then you may actually see what I was referring to.

This.

Really wasn't clear you were talking about individuals. Nevertheless, as a team, they were in good regular season form in the first game against the Redskins. Even in decent form in the second game. Sure, they crapped the bed the third game, but then played well again until Miami and Ben getting hurt. The whole point was, it may feel as thought they only come alive in December, but that's more because we've forgotten the games in September by this point. Add to that the time it takes for a team to come together (especially with rookies), and the fact that almost every team goes through the same thing, and you have what looks like teams only caring about football in the snow, when in reality, what you have is a team that gets better because they are playing together, and it's something that happens pretty much every years, and with the top two or three teams in every division.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-06-2016, 10:48 PM
Yep they was 4-1 and then Ben gets hurt. Ben comes back then Coates gets hurt and the deep threat that open everything else up. Will say this too like another poster said, depends a lot on what Ben wants to show up as well. Do we get Ben out to prove something or the one thinking about his golf score the next day ahead and playing video games with his kid ?

12-06-2016, 10:56 PM
Seems Ben treats a lot of these games like they are preseason and don't matter and starts to take it serious come close to playoff time. Now is that on Tomlin or Ben ? Or both ?

Born2Steel
12-07-2016, 08:25 AM
I don't think so at all. Ben takes every game just as serious as the next. He is a HoF QB after all. He's been doing this a very long time. And does it extremely well. I don't understand the 'doesn't take games seriously' angle. Goes for the coaches too.

12-07-2016, 09:45 AM
I don't think so at all. Ben takes every game just as serious as the next. He is a HoF QB after all. He's been doing this a very long time. And does it extremely well. I don't understand the 'doesn't take games seriously' angle. Goes for the coaches too. Sorry he comes out at times and looks like he would sooner be signing autographs at times in some games during the season. Eagles for one this year. Gets rowdy towards the middle of November and then tries to rally the team. He needs to give himself a pep talk from the start of the season.

12-07-2016, 09:56 AM
Ben Roethlisberger: It’s only halftime.

His own words! (http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/45935-Ben-Roethlisberger-It%E2%80%99s-only-halftime)

- - - Updated - - -

Truth is we live or die with him as fans and why does he wait to middle of November to get a fire behind his ass ?

Born2Steel
12-07-2016, 10:08 AM
Sorry he comes out at times and looks like he would sooner be signing autographs at times in some games during the season. Eagles for one this year. Gets rowdy towards the middle of November and then tries to rally the team. He needs to give himself a pep talk from the start of the season.

Records being what they are and all, you will not convince me that Ben doesn't give his all to win games 1-8, just as much as games 9-16. Just not a subscriber to that theory.

12-07-2016, 10:09 AM
Honestly other then his rookie season did you ever see him have that fire from the get go ? Maybe his 4 game suspension but other then that ? I swear at times he don't get fired up for regular season games and just waits for the playoffs. Or if a chance of missing the playoffs fires up the troops late November. Of course Prime time games he likes to show off a bit! Anyhow we live or die by him!

12-07-2016, 10:18 AM
Records being what they are and all, you will not convince me that Ben doesn't give his all to win games 1-8, just as much as games 9-16. Just not a subscriber to that theory. There is games he looks unstoppable and then next week he looks like a college QB that has no business being there. Not a huge fan of Tomlin but think most of the losses end up being what Ben are we going to see and not so much on Tomlin's bad coaching.

Born2Steel
12-07-2016, 10:36 AM
2010 SB vs Packers........some games you just plain 'look' better than in others. Has nothing to do with preparation or heart.

12-07-2016, 10:38 AM
Pointing being is Tomlin ain't the best coach for sure but Ben really is the team. When he wants to win we do. When his heart ain't in it we don't and that simple. When we win it's because he is on his game and when we lose is cause times he looks lack luster and gives up on the game. People what to blame the coaches and rightly so because of a lot of dumb calls. What it really comes down to is what Ben is showing up that day!

Born2Steel
12-07-2016, 10:39 AM
To say a player can get 'fired up' for certain games is real. To say Ben doesn't go out there to win each and every game is way off the mark.

Mojouw
12-07-2016, 12:16 PM
Pointing being is Tomlin ain't the best coach for sure but Ben really is the team. When he wants to win we do. When his heart ain't in it we don't and that simple. When we win it's because he is on his game and when we lose is cause times he looks lack luster and gives up on the game. People what to blame the coaches and rightly so because of a lot of dumb calls. What it really comes down to is what Ben is showing up that day!

Of all the armchair pop pyscho-babble fake coach sports cliche nonsense that bubbles up around the Steelers focused internet, this has to be right up there.

Look, I agree that the Steelers have lost based on some really bad performances from their QB. And it is maddening that the same guy who can routinely throw for 300+ yards, multiple touchdowns, and demonstrate pin-point accuracy has several games per year where he just "derps" it up - but look at the logical extension of your argument.

You are basically arguing that the Steelers will win every game that Ben Roethlisberger decides to care about. The other team on the field has no impact on the outcome. Neither does the overall state of the roster. Nor do a host of other issues that we could come up with. One thing controls the outcome of a game - what is Ben's mental state on a given Sunday afternoon or evening.

C'mon part of you has to know that is pushing it to far. While I am not arguing that the play of any QB, let alone a highly talented and accomplished "franchise QB" that is expected to direct and control a high-octane offense, does not have an immense impact on the outcome of a given game; but to argue that it is the sole overriding factor in every win or lose is a bridge too far.

Eli is widely regarded as being in the same class as Ben by many league observers. Did the Giants lose this past Sunday because Eli just wasn't into it? That would mean that all of the excitement we have about the progress of the defense, the emergence of Green, etc doesn't really matter because the Giants only lost because Eli was kinda chillaxin' and enjoying an early December rest from the grind of the NFL.

GBMelBlount
12-07-2016, 12:17 PM
To say a player can get 'fired up' for certain games is real. To say Ben doesn't go out there to win each and every game is way off the mark.

While you may be right, and the majority probably hold your view, I feel Harbaugh's Soaked Panties has a point.

Ben thrives as the under dog and when under duress arguably better than anyone in the league, while at other times, not so much.

I also believe that our abysmal record against terrible teams is partially due to this.

Again, just my personal opinion.

Craic
12-07-2016, 01:38 PM
Ben Roethlisberger: It’s only halftime.

His own words! (http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/45935-Ben-Roethlisberger-It%E2%80%99s-only-halftime)

- - - Updated - - -

Truth is we live or die with him as fans and why does he wait to middle of November to get a fire behind his ass ?

You can't take that out of context (and thank you for providing the link so we get it in context).

Roethlisberger said Tuesday that he agreed with wide receiver Antonio Brown that everyone on the offense needs to step up in order to avoid a repeat while expressing confidence that the Steelers will be able to do exactly that in the eight remaining games this season.

“I could do the Aaron Rodgers, ‘Relax,’ but I’m just going to say, it’s halftime,” Roethlisberger said on The Cook and Poni Show on 93.7 The Fan. “We’re at half time, and we’ve had a lot of great second halves in my career and Pittsburgh Steelers’ season history … it’s not over yet and I’m excited for the second half of the season.”

While you may be right, and the majority probably hold your view, I feel Harbaugh's Soaked Panties has a point.

Ben thrives as the under dog and when under duress arguably better than anyone in the league, while at other times, not so much.

I also believe that our abysmal record against terrible teams is partially due to this.

Again, just my personal opinion.

Thing is, GB, you're not arguing what JH is arguing. You're giving a reason why B2S is right. In other words, it seems you're saying Ben might give it his all every game, but when the odds are stacked against him, things just click into place and he takes it to a different level. I actually agree with you 100 percent. However, I don't think that's a knock on Ben. He just steps up for the big games and performs on stage. We had another QB like that once...he was even better than Ben at it.

12-07-2016, 06:26 PM

Again, just my personal opinion. Haha Soaked Panties and didn't think of that nic. I think I do bring a lot of truth to my argument but also can see some of Mojuw points. Will add this you can see it after the first two series of Ben running the offense which Ben we are going to watch and he makes it obvious with is actions and facial impressions.

12-07-2016, 06:42 PM
Point being we can blame Tomlin, Haley and etc for the losses but it's mostly on Ben when he comes out flat. We can also blame most of the wins on him as well when he is fired up and being the HOF he is.

Iron Steeler
12-07-2016, 07:18 PM
We need to keep pressing on Bell. My opinion he is the best player in the league right now. The Giants win was great because it was old school steelers football where we slowly bled out the clock with our running back