PDA

View Full Version : Could Timmons be the key to our season?

StillCurtains
11-21-2016, 12:16 PM
Lawrence Timmons being a true key to our season is quite possible.
Of course it will depend on our play on offense and special teams as well being that one player can't do it alone.

First offensively at least 2 players are going to have to step up as dependable receiving options for Ben and AB. Knowing their route assignments and making plays consistently will have to take place no matter how much the defense turns things around.

One thing that Timmons may be able to do at the very least is make the defense a scary unit for the remainder of the season. I know it was the Browns, but the truth is that moving Timmons around to the outside was a very smart move and here is why.

Timmons is a veteran that has been there and done that. He is a team player and will do what it takes to help the team. He played great and will not be overwhelmed by being moved around being a veteran. Timmons being a part time edge rusher can give Harrison a breather to keep him fresh. It can also give Dupree more time to get acclimated to the other side.

I believe that right now, Butler knows that the injury to Heyward has now made the strength of his front seven now shift back to the LB's. Not only will a talented Dupree be back, but shifting around Timmons can also get Vince Williams on the field.

When Vince is on the field, he adds another element of nasty to the team. I think that we all can agree that the more that Timmons, Harrison, Shazier and Vince Williams are on the field the better for this defense. These are 4 guys that not only make plays but will limit the mistakes that are made on defense.

Now if Dupree can get back up to speed they may be in business. Here is to hoping that Butler can somehow interchange some different looks while getting these guys some significant snaps together on the field at one way or another. No, there is no way that ALL of them can be on the field at once, but if Butler can mix things up to where they have all seen the field with each player it can help.

The truth is that now, the stength of the front 7 is now with the LB's. Let's hope that Butler can work some magic with Timmons at least showing that he has some signs of versatilty.

Mojouw
11-21-2016, 12:24 PM
The interesting thing is that Timmons coming off the edge didn't get Williams on the field. Now, that might have been due to the Browns essentially abandoning the running game. But what it did seem to do was shift Jones into a zone coverage linebacker role and allow Harrison to pass rush out of the nickel package.

Looking at the images here and my foggy memories of the game itself - http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/11/film-room-butler-deserves-huge-credit-for-sundays-sack-output/

Just counting bodies in those images it looks like a 2-4-5 alignment and I feel like I remember some others where Timmons and Jones basically "Swapped" in a more traditional 3-4-4 set-up.

Rotorhead
11-21-2016, 06:25 PM
I guess I would rather have JJ covering than Timmons. Not a knock on Timmons, I just think JJ is faster to keep up with the TE's is all. I unfortunately didnt get to see the game, so I will have to take all your words for it.

Born2Steel
11-21-2016, 07:26 PM
Timmons has been a rock and a rock solid player for this team for years. Glad to see him getting some positive press here. If he can make some splash plays for the defense from the OLB spot, then of course do it. If moving JJ to the middle and put him on patrol with Shazier makes him better, then of course do it. I wonder if this idea is new, or just put on hold until Dupree came back.

Can VW play SS and let Mitchell back him up?

86WARD
11-21-2016, 08:05 PM
It's nice to see him actually showing up...

Psycho Ward 86
11-21-2016, 08:19 PM
hes still been bad for a huge chunk of this season, just like how he started really damn slow for like 6-7 games the past few seasons. going to be nice to have his contract off our backs next season. Vince will be fine. We should look into more ILB depth but having guys like Golson, Cockrell, Burns, Heyward, Tuitt, Hargrave, Shazier, and Dupree is honestly a great start to building a good defense. Williams has been, and will continue to be our Larry Foote (honestly one of the few times I think a player to player comparison is appropriate)

pepsyman1
11-22-2016, 01:22 AM
I was really overjoyed with what I saw them do with Timmons. Timmons was really a beast whenever they let him rush off the edge. He's obviously much stronger than Jarvis Jones and to be honest he looked a lot like Harrison. He pushed a number of blockers back into the QB and disrupted things just about every time they put him over there. That's the kind of impact we need from that position. I bet Timmons loved the change of pace and the opportunity to get in the backfield as opposed to anchoring the middle.

tube517
12-04-2016, 07:29 PM
He was certainly key today. Huge INT/return and ending a red zone threat by the G-men.

Shoes
12-04-2016, 08:31 PM
He was certainly key today. Huge INT/return and ending a red zone threat by the G-men.

Pretty quick feet for a geezer!

Psycho Ward 86
12-04-2016, 09:06 PM
that felt like the 1st play against the pass he's made in 2 years. i dont expect it to happen again but im happy he stepped it up today

Steeldude
12-04-2016, 10:27 PM
Harrison is thE key. When he plays the defense changes.

86WARD
12-05-2016, 02:55 PM

This. Jones in there is a liability on the largest of scales. Even when Jones has made the few plays that he has, it doesn't balance out the ones he doesn't make.

Harrison makes all the difference in the world. He quite possibly could be the biggest loss this team sees in the last 5-7 years if he leaves next year.

tube517
12-05-2016, 03:05 PM

This. Jones in there is a liability on the largest of scales. Even when Jones has made the few plays that he has, it doesn't balance out the ones he doesn't make.

Harrison makes all the difference in the world. He quite possibly could be the biggest loss this team sees in the last 5-7 years if he leaves next year.

Jarvis will join his buddies Blake, Mcain, Spence, and Woods with Papa Dick in Tennessee next year....

86WARD
12-05-2016, 05:56 PM
I hope

ALLD
12-05-2016, 06:02 PM
This is Harrison's swan song. He will not return.