PDA

View Full Version : At Indy Colts next. Thanksgiving delight or disaster?

zulater
11-21-2016, 05:50 AM
Have the Steelers ever won on Thanksgiving?

Is it fair that the Steelers have to travel for a Thursday game following a road game? Generally, as in almost always the team that is asked to travel for a Thursday game plays the Sunday before at home. The only time I can recall this happening in recent memory, or since the league has started the Thursday night schedule was when the Steelers were made to play a Thursday game in Baltimore ( and lost) following a road game in Cleveland. Granted Cleveland from Pittsburgh isn't much of a trip, but still there's some logistical aspects of any travel, no matter if only a few hours, that is detrimental to future preparation.

Even if this were a Sunday game have the Steelers really shown the capacity to beat a mid-pack team on the road? They haven't won a meaningful road game since the season opener at Washington. Worse yet they haven't really even been particularly competitive. That is unless you want to count a couple tack on touchdowns in the 4th quarter of the Ravens disaster.

Enough with the negative.

We have matched up well with the Colts in recent seasons. Of course those games were all at Heinz field. But still the Steelers should have a positive feel about how they line up against this team.

Also we go into this game relatively healthy. The offensive line is intact, LeVeon, Ben and Bell are all in good trim. And there wont be lousy weather to deal with. We need to score 30 points or close to it to win this one imo. Outside of the fact we have no reliable receivers besides Brown and Bell the offense should be ready to compete.

Defensively we finally found a pass rush. Was that because we finally found the Browns, or did the coaching staff strike upon something tangible that will carry through the rest of the season?

Lastly. We can afford to lose this one. Obviously you don't want to. But if they win their remaining division games, and find a win either at Buffalo or at home vs the Giants the Steelers will win the division. Hell it's even possible they could lose to the Colts and at Cincy and still win the division with a 9-7 record. Even 8-8 isn't out of the realm or possibility.

My prediction. Steelers 33 Colts 26

SteelMayhem72
11-21-2016, 07:23 AM
We should be able to put up a lot of points on the Colts...our Defense has to show up

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Born2Steel
11-21-2016, 07:34 AM
Steelers 33
Colts 14

tube517
11-21-2016, 07:37 AM
I'm still concerned about lack of a deep threat. I think the offense will struggle a bit like yesterday (redzone). Bell and Brown are just too talented though.

Hopefully Green can get more snaps because he's rusty as hell.

j-d-s
11-21-2016, 09:06 AM
Steelers win in a shootout.

AtlantaDan
11-21-2016, 09:49 AM
Vegas likes the Steelers - various lines open at Steelers 2&1/2 - 3 point favorites (over/under 53 -54)

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/las-vegas/

That seems about 3 points too high on the point spread but the over seems about right - of course the line is to attract equal amounts bet on both teams and the Steelers are still perceived to be good by the general public

steelreserve
11-21-2016, 10:30 AM
Defensively we finally found a pass rush. Was that because we finally found the Browns, or did the coaching staff strike upon something tangible that will carry through the rest of the season?

Unfortunately, I think it was because it was the Browns. A lot of those sacks came because their QBs (especially Kessler) held on to the ball forever, panicked, and danced around without actually moving anywhere. A decent QB would've gotten the ball off long before, or at least thrown it away. So I would not count on more of the same this week.

We can still beat the Colts. They've got at least as many problems as us. We could blow them out or get blown out. Which team will show up? That's what it all depends on.

WCSteeler
11-21-2016, 10:35 AM
I'm still concerned about lack of a deep threat. I think the offense will struggle a bit like yesterday (redzone). Bell and Brown are just too talented though.

It's looking more and more like the Steelers will have to go out and find a Solid WR on the other side of the field, I like Rodgers but he is not a #2 reciever

StillCurtains
11-21-2016, 12:42 PM
This really all depends...

The defense can play admireably for periods, but the offense is going to have to compliment their efforts and so far this has not yet happened on the road.

Part of the struggles on offense yesterday has been because of the weather conditions. There also has been times that Ben has thrown the ball away in areas that defenders couldn't get it due to receivers not getting open. AB needs no mention. Eli has made some plays in the slot, but right now Cobi Hamilton is forced to start from the practice squad alongside AB and the consistency isn't there.

James and Grimble have not been consistent at TE and Green is just now getting back and had a TD drop yesterday.
In order to win this game, 2 things will need to happen. First one of these 2 scenarios would be Coates coming back from his injured fingers and playing the way he did at the beginning of the year with getting Heward Bey back on the field to help, or Cobi Hamilton will have to be a playmaker for Ben.

Secondly, one of our TE's will have to step of for Ben. If these things don't take place, then the offense will continue to struggle in this game as well making it very difficult to win.

steelreserve
11-21-2016, 01:08 PM

I'm more concerned with our lack of anyone (other than Brown) who can get open consistently for those 10-15 yard passes that keep the chains moving. Miller excelled at that and we really miss him; Bryant really helped open things up so guys like Wheaton and DHB could do that.

Right now we have Rogers, James, Grimble, and Hamilton, who are OK receivers but are generally not open by much, if at all ... so Ben manages to get a few 15-yard completions by throwing lasers that are fired in there by an inch, and we also have a lot of 15-yard fastballs that are out of reach or knocked down, plus a lot of times where we have to check down for short dump-offs.

Really we only need one guy to come on for that to work a whole lot better. Either Green to be the guy getting open on his own, or Coates to be the guy spreading the defense out more. It's possible, but definitely needs to happen if we want to see the 2015 offense again.

Steeldude
11-21-2016, 02:24 PM
It depends on if they revert back to previous game plans.

Moose
11-21-2016, 02:31 PM
This Indy came is going to be a 'tell all' to all of us as to whether or not this team is under control. The Cleveland game didn't show or tell me anything. Cleveland is a disaster team and we couldn't put them away. It wasn't until about 4 minutes left in the game we actually started scoring and put the game out of reach. Penalties were disgusting. Still running wrong routes and dropping balls. A good team would have scored 24 pts in the first half against the browns. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for the win.....but it was Cleveland, a definite bottom feeder, a team many of us thought would probably get their first win against us. Right ? Good job Tomlin for having the team prepared ! ? Now, again as I always say, in a 16 game season world, every game is a must win and Thursday night's game against Indy is just that...a must win. Indy isn't that good of a team either. Pretty much equal to us, except we have better offense with Bell and Brown. Our division is bad, and we should win all remaining division games. The play off future for this year is in the Steeler's hands. Their games are still hard for me to watch, pure agony, but I do suffer through with added help. Go Steeler's !

Hawkman
11-21-2016, 02:47 PM
Unfortunately, I think it was because it was the Browns. A lot of those sacks came because their QBs (especially Kessler) held on to the ball forever, panicked, and danced around without actually moving anywhere. A decent QB would've gotten the ball off long before, or at least thrown it away. So I would not count on more of the same this week.

We can still beat the Colts. They've got at least as many problems as us. We could blow them out or get blown out. Which team will show up? That's what it all depends on.

I think we will get a number of sacks. Luck has one of the worst OL in the NFL. He's getting sacked almost four times a game, (35 through ten). He's getting killed. Hope we can add a few to that number.

Rotorhead
11-21-2016, 06:14 PM
As it has been for the season, it depends on which offense shows up.

tube517
11-21-2016, 06:16 PM
Luck is in concussion protocol...could be the backup QB Starting for the Colts

ALLD
11-21-2016, 06:23 PM
Super Bowl teams never need to snap a 4 game losing streak. Colts win at home.

Mojouw
11-21-2016, 06:28 PM
It's almost like that statement isn't even true. Arguably the exception that proves the rule, but still. It ain't over until it's over.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/9/22/2443615/lovable-losers-teams-with-a-losing-streak-that-made-it-to-the-super

Edman
11-21-2016, 07:07 PM
Since this is a Thursday Night game, the Steelers will be in Color Rush.

We'll be seeing those all-black Unis.

EDIT: Wrong.

tube517
11-21-2016, 07:11 PM
It's almost like that statement isn't even true. Arguably the exception that proves the rule, but still. It ain't over until it's over.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/9/22/2443615/lovable-losers-teams-with-a-losing-streak-that-made-it-to-the-super

Add in the 2011 Giants who lost 4 in a row but won the division at 9-7 and of course, the Super Bowl

Iron Steeler
11-21-2016, 07:48 PM
Just win dont care if its 3-0

teegre
11-22-2016, 10:00 PM
The past two times that BB has faced the Colts, he's blown them out of the water.

I see BB "finding his groove" (28/36 for 425, 4 TDs, 0 INTs).

86WARD
11-23-2016, 05:29 AM
Wasn't one of his 5 TD games against the colts? Is this game home or away? Therein you will find your answer...

j-d-s
11-23-2016, 07:52 AM
Ben passed for 500 yards against the Colts once.

tube517
11-23-2016, 08:11 AM
They played Curtis Painter at the Dome in 2011 when Manning was out.

teegre
11-23-2016, 08:49 AM
In his last three games against the Colts, BB has passed for 350+ yards... a fear which no other QB has accomplished.

12/6/15
364 yards, 4 TDs

10/26/14
522 yards, 6 TDs

9/25/11
364 yards, 1 TD

steel striker
11-23-2016, 09:23 AM
Steelers win 34-13 Ben goes big 31-40 375 4 TDS.

Moose
11-24-2016, 10:39 AM
A.Luck is out for this game and their QB hasn't started a game in 3 year's from what I understand. If this Steeler team, with the offense we have in Ben, Brown and Bell doesn't come out smoking against the colt's defense and score for 60 minutes than the Steeler's and Tomlin is worse than I think. Oh, I'm sure the colt's could sneak in a point here or there from a lucky interception that Ben usually throw's and gives them good field advantage, or our F'''Kin' special team giving them a good return and field position....but our mediocre defense ought to be able to blitz the hell out of their backup QB and give him reads that he's never seen before and finally mount up some sacks. This ought to finally be a good Thanksgiving football game for us Steeler fan's to sit back and enjoy. Hopefully Tomlin will have the team pumped to kick ass, no damn conservative playing and put a lid on the penalties and not giving the colts the ball back and good field position. KICK ASS STEELER's !! HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all my Steeler brothers and sisters.....be safe !!

fansince'76
11-24-2016, 10:35 PM
First Steelers win on Thanksgiving since 1950! :tt02:

43Hitman
11-24-2016, 10:39 PM
First Steelers win on Thanksgiving since 1950! :tt02:

:tt02::tt02::tt02:

tube517
11-24-2016, 10:52 PM
The past two times that BB has faced the Colts, he's blown them out of the water.

I see BB "finding his groove" (28/36 for 425, 4 TDs, 0 INTs).

teegre
11-24-2016, 11:12 PM

BB only passed for 221 yards.

Time to trade him to Oakland for a draft pick!!!

pczach
11-25-2016, 06:11 AM
BB only passed for 221 yards.

Time to trade him to Oakland for a draft pick!!!

He's done......

silver & black
11-25-2016, 07:48 AM
Why Oakland?

teegre
11-25-2016, 08:48 AM
Why Oakland?

It's an old joke, from the Steelers Fever board.

Eveey year, when BB had a bad game, the "trade him to Oakland for Asomugha" threads would appear. Then, it became a joke "trade him to Oakland for their R1 pick"... "trade him to Oakland for a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos"...

pczach
11-25-2016, 09:20 AM

Eveey year, when BB had a bad game, the "trade him to Oakland for Asomugha" threads would appear. Then, it became a joke "trade him to Oakland for their R1 pick"... "trade him to Oakland for a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos"...

Ahhhhh.......good times.

I could really go for some Cool Ranch Doritos right now. Those franchise quarterbacks are very easy to find.

silver & black
11-25-2016, 10:06 AM

Oh, yea.... I remember that. Good thing it never happened.... Asomugha was way overrated.:lol: