PDA

View Full Version : How Do Steelers Win Superbowl?

GBMelBlount
11-16-2016, 08:13 PM
Things are looking bleak at the moment.

Still, teams have overcome greater adversity to win Championships.

If you still believe we have a chance, what do you think we can REALISTICALLY do / has to happen for us to have a shot of winning the Superbowl?

DesertSteel
11-16-2016, 08:17 PM
Go 10-6... get 1st round home game.
D improve to the point where Burns is holding down his spot at above average level.
Bud come back in be a force in the rush.
Ben stay healthy and play lights out... 400 YPG.
Solid contributions from Coates and Greene in the passing game.
Get very lucky in the turnover battle.
Someone take out the Patriots.

teegre
11-16-2016, 08:20 PM
As long as they have (a healthy) BB, they have a chance.

Mojouw
11-16-2016, 08:22 PM
Fire Mike Tomlin

:behindsofa:

In all seriousness, just get "hot" for the second half and ride that wave to the title.

To be more technical - win up front. Start making plays behind the LOS on defense and start getting Bell out of the backfield before he has to juke 6 guys.

steelreserve
11-16-2016, 09:47 PM
a) Get on a SUPER lucky hot streak - I'm talking Moonball Joe in a contract year lucky.

b) Draft well, make those one or two key signings on defense instead of farting around with high-potential-needs-work rookies, and try again in 2017.

st33lersguy
11-16-2016, 10:13 PM
It starts with improving the defense. They need a franchise pass rusher. They also need the young players to step up their game. A franchise safety could also improve the secondary.

salamander
11-16-2016, 10:23 PM
Defense needs to improve above all else and the offense needs to be more consistent and play on the road the same way they play at home.

Steel Peon
11-16-2016, 10:56 PM
Get Antwon Blake back! :chuckle:

Shoes
11-16-2016, 11:46 PM
Pay da refs.

BigBen2004
11-17-2016, 12:41 AM
I don't see it, even as a pipe dream.
They just lost their captain on defense. You know, the guy responsible for giving us a respectable D-Line. Tuitt can't do it alone, and these other guys have failed to live up to any expectations. Hargrave is a rookie, but c'mon. The dude has done nothing with the snaps he's seen.
And Big Dan? Well, he's almost been a non-factor.

They don't have a receiver that can consistently take pressure off of AB. Rogers is solid, but, the loss of Bryant is glaring.

Having said all of this, I believe they'll still win the division. Baltimore's schedule is brutal, Cincinnati is mediocre, and Cleveland is Cleveland.
Ben usually leads the charge late in the season, and I expect this year to be no different.

However, this team isn't healthy enough to beat NE on the road. They have a slim shot to make the AFC Championship, but, that is the absolute farthest they can go in their current state.
They need Dupree to make an immediate impact, Rogers to develop into that number 2 WR, Hargrave and McCullers to step up on the DL, and the safeties to start helping in coverage and tackling.

Unless all of those things break their way, which I don't see happening, they'll be at home in February. Again.

86WARD
11-17-2016, 05:02 AM
Even if they get hot, they need to do it on the road...road games seem to be their kryptonite recently so no matter how hot they get, the road games will cool them off and if they have to go through NE, forget it.

Prove me wrong...nothing would make me happier and I'd gladly eat that crow!

steel striker
11-17-2016, 11:00 AM
They have a slim chance but, with Ben & the offense they can out score any team. The question remains will the defense improve?

Steeldude
11-17-2016, 12:35 PM
Stop dancing and celebrating. Focus on the current play and then move onto the next. Know your assignment and stick to it. Stop the Al Davis ball. Pass on 3rd and long.

Use Jones for breathers only.

86WARD
11-17-2016, 04:52 PM
Stop dancing and celebrating. Focus on the current play and then move onto the next. Know your assignment and stick to it. Stop the Al Davis ball. Pass on 3rd and long.

Use Jones for breathers only.

Don't you mean pass on 3rd & short and draw play on 3rd & long?

Count Steeler
11-17-2016, 04:54 PM
Cheat. Failing that, deflate footballs.

The fan in me can see another Super Bowl appearance. The realist in me just can't. Too many key injueies, again. Key suspensions, again. Ben one hit away from being down again. A defence that needs more work, again.

86WARD
11-17-2016, 06:44 PM
As a fan and a realist, I just can't see it...even with Ben playing lights out, something would screw it up. The defense is just too bad for playoff football.

steelcityboyz
11-17-2016, 07:33 PM
Anything can happen but I'm not seeing it this year. This team is just too undisciplined. As Steeldude stated stop with the dancing already act like you've been there before. Go out and take care of business.

BigBen2004
11-18-2016, 12:21 AM
Let's look at this in the short term. Does anybody really think they'll beat Indy on Thanksgiving? I sure don't.
Listen, Indy has a lot of problems, but, they have a good offense. With no pass rush to pressure Luck, he'll pick the defense apart. It's also on the road.

So, they really don't have a good shot at making the playoffs. Let alone winning the Super Bowl.
After Indy, it's the Giants. Then you still have Cincy, Buffalo (on the road), and Baltimore.
Doable? Absolutely. Realistic? Absolutely not.

I pray they prove me wrong

st33lersguy
11-18-2016, 12:30 AM
The good news for Pittsburgh is the OLB class looks like it'll be deep next year givibg Pittsburgh a good shot at a franchise edge rusher if they draft wisely which they need to improve their Super Bowl chances in subsequent years

stillers4me
11-18-2016, 05:10 AM
Pay a private detective to take naked pictures of Roger Goodell.

Drazo85
11-18-2016, 05:53 AM
Pay a private detective to take naked pictures of Roger Goodell.
Sharing the bed with Marsha and Belicheat.

teegre
11-18-2016, 06:18 AM
The good news for Pittsburgh is the OLB class looks like it'll be deep next year givibg Pittsburgh a good shot at a franchise edge rusher if they draft wisely which they need to improve their Super Bowl chances in subsequent years

All of these guys could go in R1 alone:

Myles Garrett, OLB, Texas A&M
Taco Charlton, OLB, Michigan
Charles Harris, OLB, Missouri
Derek Barnett, OLB, Tennessee
Carl Lawson, OLB, Auburn
Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama
Ryan Anderson, OLB, Alabama
Takkarist McKinley, OLB, UCLA
Dawaune Smoot, OLB, Illinois
Deatrich Wise, OLB, Arkansas
**TJ Watt, OLB, Wisconsin

Born2Steel
11-18-2016, 07:32 AM
Taco?

Born2Steel
11-18-2016, 08:31 AM
To win, simply put, you have to play the next game. Looking to next week or looking back at last week, will lose you this week. Play the down. Meaning do your job on each down and run the play that's called. Too much free lance and you have a bunch of talented individuals running around a field, but playing together you have a very talented team. It's all about focus and doing your job.

LloydWoodson
11-18-2016, 08:38 AM
Win the division and go on a run. Not impossible just improbable.

This is exactly how I feel every Steelers season will end up. I don't expect the bye or home field. Need a run like XL.

GBMelBlount
11-18-2016, 09:13 PM
I believe Ben can do anything he sets his mind too, including inspire the rest of the team to play lights out, win the division, and run the table.

As Ben goes, goes the Steelers.

Moose
11-24-2016, 06:16 PM
Play 60 minutes of kick ass football, tackle the opponent with the ball when you touch him, catch all the balls that you touch, Ben throw the ball where OUR receiver is, score TDs in redzone, stop the opponent for losses on all kickoffs and punts, WIN all the games you're supposed to and most of the games you aren't, be disciplined and no penalties, no celebrating after TDs or when you did your job of tackling or intercepting the opponent. Act classy ! And last but not least, score MORE points than the opponent. Just to name a few. Go STEELERs.

cold-hard-steel
11-25-2016, 06:23 AM
By getting there is how they can win it .

ALLD
11-25-2016, 07:18 AM
They need to hit the jackpot now with a few players off the PS. Too many players away on D to put $ on a Conference Championship. If they don't win the division they won't be in the playoffs.

Born2Steel
11-25-2016, 06:33 PM
This is a terrible,awful question. The only answer is to win the division, get hot for 4 games and win the whole damn thing.

Craic
11-25-2016, 10:05 PM
Things are looking bleak at the moment.

Still, teams have overcome greater adversity to win Championships.

If you still believe we have a chance, what do you think we can REALISTICALLY do / has to happen for us to have a shot of winning the Superbowl?

Bad Grammar in title? Check.

Posted after 3+ consecutive losses? Check.

Only one way into playoffs? Check.

No losses since post began? Check.

Another SB X0 (30, 40, 50)? Check.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

teegre
11-25-2016, 10:20 PM

Brother, I think that you're taking GB's thread the wrong way.

IMO, GB was making a thread in response to all of the "we're doomed!!!" threads. He was trying to create a positive thread ("We STILL have a chance").

NOTE: bI was going to PM this to you (I'm not trying to call you out), but I decided to post it... in case someone else took GB's thread the wrong way, as well.

Craic
11-25-2016, 10:58 PM

IMO, GB was making a thread in response to all of the "we're doomed!!!" threads. He was trying to create a positive thread ("We STILL have a chance").

NOTE: bI was going to PM this to you (I'm not trying to call you out), but I decided to post it... in case someone else took GB's thread the wrong way, as well.

I recognize that . . . I'm just having fun with the "We can no more lose" idea.

teegre
11-25-2016, 11:40 PM
I recognize that . . . I'm just having fun with the "We can no more lose" idea.

Aha, got it. :nod:

:director: MUST WINE. CAN NO LOSE!!!

Mojouw
11-25-2016, 11:40 PM
We need a bigger back to beat off defenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fansince'76
11-26-2016, 12:30 AM

Another Pimply Dan-esque slumpbuster thread? Yes, we're due.

We'll need to keep bumping this thread to the top of the forum to keep the mojo going, though. :chuckle:

And in case anyone is wondering "WTF?" about "Pimply Dan," this was the thread on the now long-defunct "official" Steelers message board that precipitated the 8-game Super Bowl winning streak back in '05:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/Pimply%20Dan_zpsofkkqgsy.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/garyb12001/media/Pimply%20Dan_zpsofkkqgsy.jpg.html)

Must wine! Can no lose! :lol:

fansince'76
11-26-2016, 12:55 AM
We need a bigger back to beat off defenders.

Speaking of which, Le'Veon Bell sure has a lot of suddenness and glide... :chuckle:

Mojouw
11-26-2016, 01:12 AM
Speaking of which, Le'Veon Bell sure has a lot of suddenness and glide... :chuckle:

But does he get paid to jump?

fansince'76
11-26-2016, 01:19 AM
But does he get paid to jump?

Mike Wallace certainly doesn't, that we know for sure... :chuckle:

GBMelBlount
11-26-2016, 01:00 PM

NOTE: I was going to PM this to you (I'm not trying to call you out), but I decided to post it... in case someone else took GB's thread the wrong way, as well.

Thanks Teegre.

Yes, my intent was to start a positive thread and see constructive ideas.

tube517
11-26-2016, 03:00 PM
Pimply Dan is a legend. I've seen about 4 other forums (apart from this one) reference him and even a Penguins forum :lol:

Sadly, his website is gone....

fansince'76
12-01-2016, 10:34 AM
(Bump)

MUST WINE! CAN NO LOSE ANY MORE GAMES! :chuckle:

86WARD
12-03-2016, 05:59 AM
With Gronk potentially out the whole season, the AFC just became wide open. If the Steelers can get their shit together on offense and play a little defense, this team could make the run...I'm not confident they can though. Sunday will be a big test...

43Hitman
12-03-2016, 06:29 AM
CAN NO LOSE MORE GAME MUST WINE!!

teegre
12-09-2016, 05:51 PM

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
12-09-2016, 09:56 PM
Harrison Smash!

Iron Steeler
12-10-2016, 10:56 AM
Healthy leveon bell and deangello WILLIAMSWILLIAMS together. I feel like we need to have a strong run game in the playoffs to sustain long drives control the clock and keep our young (but rising )defense off the field

- - - Updated - - -

Wow sorry for the auto correct

Born2Steel
12-10-2016, 11:14 AM
Bell, with Williams back to spell him, is a great point moving to the playoffs. Green 'getting' the offense and starting to make plays can only be a positive. James has made some strides this season as well, another positive. AB is still getting open whenever he wants. AND Ben is healthy. Don't forget the Oline either.

Young, fast, athletic defense starting to understand how to play with each other within the scheme. Add in Harrison playing in maybe his last season. I think he becomes an unstoppable force down the stretch. Partially due to Dupree's return, and partially due to the secondary playing better together. He only needs that step or two.

Just make the post season. Then we'll see where it falls. Go Steelers!!!

teegre
12-16-2016, 08:14 AM

Steeldude
12-16-2016, 08:50 AM
This is a terrible,awful question. The only answer is to win the division, get hot for 4 games and win the whole damn thing.

He is referring to what the Steelers need to do on offense and defense to win these games. Do they need to blitz more? Run more 3-4? More no-huddle?

Born2Steel
12-16-2016, 09:07 AM
He is referring to what the Steelers need to do on offense and defense to win these games. Do they need to blitz more? Run more 3-4? More no-huddle?

I do get that. But since the question was asked, we've had one game where AB scores 3 TDs, another game where Bell scores 3 TDs, plus our defense has really started showing signs of playing as a complete unit. So do we go pass happy and lean on AB, or power football and let Bell run over the defenses? Both seem to work. Now we are getting some players back from injury and the dynamic changes a bit more. The answer to the original question is always fluid and changes week to week depending on the opponent and who is available to suit up. The only answer is 'just win the games on the schedule, and let the rest sort itself out'. No possible way to say how we should run plays from here on out, let alone from pre-Thanksgiving on out. I was a bit too harsh with my response. Apologies for that.

teegre
12-23-2016, 08:54 AM

GoSlash27
12-26-2016, 04:25 PM
we've had one game where AB scores 3 TDs, another game where Bell scores 3 TDs, plus our defense has really started showing signs of playing as a complete unit. So do we go pass happy and lean on AB, or power football and let Bell run over the defenses?
The correct answer is "both", with enough unpredictability that the defense can't key on what's coming next. The fact that we can be successful either way is a major force multiplier for us because it's impossible to defend everything at once.
Our weakness coming into this last game was a lack of healthy receivers, but now we have 4 and more coming back into the mix. If this crew stays healthy and Ben doesn't have one of his signature bad days, this offense will be unstoppable during the playoffs.

Count Steeler
12-26-2016, 05:30 PM
Stupid question, and too lazy to look up.

I assume Bryant's suspension is through to the SB?

pczach
12-26-2016, 05:39 PM
Stupid question, and too lazy to look up.

I assume Bryant's suspension is through to the SB?

Yes, his suspension is for the entire season.....post season included.

He can't return until next season.

Count Steeler
12-26-2016, 06:37 PM
Yes, his suspension is for the entire season.....post season included.

He can't return until next season.

Thanks. I guess I was just wishful thinking. Just imagine if he was able to play.

86WARD
12-28-2016, 07:57 AM
They can win by:

• First and foremost, staying healthy.

• Playing smart football. Penalties will happen, but stop committing the stupid penalties. Make smart decisions.

• Execute. Do your job.

• Smart coaching decisions. Take the risks...but do it smart.

Basically, stay healthy, play smart and execute and they can win.

fansince'76
12-28-2016, 08:24 AM

6-0 since this thread was started!

GBMelBlount
12-28-2016, 10:34 AM

Just wine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hiUuL5uTKc

Renegade
12-28-2016, 12:08 PM
The AFC Playoffs look very, very winnable. The way it stands now, and probably will stay:
1. Patriots 14-2 (Dolphins locked into playoffs. either 5 or 6. not much to play for and NE wants to be the top.)
2. Raiders 13-3 (the broncos suck. besides, they would probably prefer the raiders to win the west anyway.)
3. Steelers 11-5 (Landry Jones HAS to beat the browns.)
4 Texans 9-7 or 10-6 (its over and boring down in the AFC south.)
5. Chiefs 12-4
6. Dolphins 10-6.

Texans, Raiders and Dolphins all have backup QBs. The chiefs can be destroyed by the Steelers (we know that already). That leaves the Patriots. Here we go:

Chiefs at Texans (chiefs win)
Dolphins at Steeles (this would be an inexcusable loss. Our boys got this one for sure.)

Chiefs at Patriots (this would be a dramatic, but an exciting upset. maybe chiefs. I know the pats would win, but for the sake of this discussion lets say the chiefs have a last second FG.)
Steelers at Raiders (against Matt Mcgloin, against a defense the steelers scored 38 points on, with Bell, Brown and Ben, I like these chances.)

Chiefs at Steelers (This could get really out of hand. Like 30 points in the first half by Pittsburgh)

I think the best way for the Steelers to go to the superbowl is simply beat the backups, and hope for an upset by a no-name team (texans or chiefs) against the pats.

86WARD
12-28-2016, 12:48 PM
You're underestimating the Chiefs at this stage of the season imo.

Born2Steel
12-28-2016, 12:56 PM
I guess Chiefs can move to 2 and the Raiders fall to 5. Can the Texans move to 3 and the Steelers drop to 4? Is that possible? That would be the worst case scenario of all.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe. Or overestimating Alex Smith?

- - - Updated - - -

If we had to run thru the playoffs by facing Matt Moore, Matt McGloin, and Alex Smith, I would sign up right now.

GoSlash27
12-28-2016, 01:25 PM

Agreed. They are a much better team than our earlier experience would suggest.

pczach
12-28-2016, 01:48 PM
The AFC Playoffs look very, very winnable. The way it stands now, and probably will stay:
1. Patriots 14-2 (Dolphins locked into playoffs. either 5 or 6. not much to play for and NE wants to be the top.)
2. Raiders 13-3 (the broncos suck. besides, they would probably prefer the raiders to win the west anyway.)
3. Steelers 11-5 (Landry Jones HAS to beat the browns.)
4 Texans 9-7 or 10-6 (its over and boring down in the AFC south.)
5. Chiefs 12-4
6. Dolphins 10-6.

Texans, Raiders and Dolphins all have backup QBs. The chiefs can be destroyed by the Steelers (we know that already). That leaves the Patriots. Here we go:

Chiefs at Texans (chiefs win)
Dolphins at Steeles (this would be an inexcusable loss. Our boys got this one for sure.)

Chiefs at Patriots (this would be a dramatic, but an exciting upset. maybe chiefs. I know the pats would win, but for the sake of this discussion lets say the chiefs have a last second FG.)
Steelers at Raiders (against Matt Mcgloin, against a defense the steelers scored 38 points on, with Bell, Brown and Ben, I like these chances.)

Chiefs at Steelers (This could get really out of hand. Like 30 points in the first half by Pittsburgh)

I think the best way for the Steelers to go to the superbowl is simply beat the backups, and hope for an upset by a no-name team (texans or chiefs) against the pats.

This isn't the same Chiefs team. They have improved drastically on both sides of the ball.

They are physical. They run the ball well and control the clock. Alex Smith makes enough plays with his arm and his feet to be a threat, and he doesn't turn the ball over.

The TE Kelce is a beast. He will be very difficult to contain. Since we played them, Tyreek Hill has emerged as an explosive weapon for this team. He is a difference maker with his big play ability. He can turn any handoff or pass into a touchdown from anywhere on the field.

On defense, Justin Houston has returned from injury. They have playmakers at every level of their defense. Losing Derrick Johnson was a big loss, but they still have guys that can make plays everywhere defensively. Eric Berry, Marcus Peters, Tamba Hali, Houston, and Dontari Poe.

They will probably go 12-4 playing in the toughest division in football. It would be a mistake to take them lightly.

Rotorhead
12-28-2016, 04:27 PM
I certainly will not take them lightly, but I think the above scenario is quite possible (aside from the scores). We win against the Bills and Raiders, KC wins against the Texans and NE (they are one of the few left who have a good enough def to beat the Pats I think). Then KC comes to us. I like that scenario.

tube517
12-28-2016, 04:42 PM
This isn't the same Chiefs team. They have improved drastically on both sides of the ball.

They are physical. They run the ball well and control the clock. Alex Smith makes enough plays with his arm and his feet to be a threat, and he doesn't turn the ball over.

The TE Kelce is a beast. He will be very difficult to contain. Since we played them, Tyreek Hill has emerged as an explosive weapon for this team. He is a difference maker with his big play ability. He can turn any handoff or pass into a touchdown from anywhere on the field.

On defense, Justin Houston has returned from injury. They have playmakers at every level of their defense. Losing Derrick Johnson was a big loss, but they still have guys that can make plays everywhere defensively. Eric Berry, Marcus Peters, Tamba Hali, Houston, and Dontari Poe.

They will probably go 12-4 playing in the toughest division in football. It would be a mistake to take them lightly.

If we have to play KC, I wonder if Tomlin will put J.Gilbert on Kelce again.

Psycho Ward 86
12-28-2016, 06:38 PM
dont forget that one of the factors that blew that KC game open for us quickly was Sammie Coates who has been AWOL for an eternity. Coates had his huge cath against Marcus Peters to start the game and then a really well rounded game to finish things off

Craic
12-28-2016, 06:44 PM

http://www.pipnet.com/eggs/koolaid-large.jpg

The bell ringer
12-28-2016, 06:52 PM

Sorry but to me, the Chiefs are absolute " Fool's Gold " They are good in two areas of the game...Special teams, and they do have 16 interceptions...although 7 of those came in 2 games. But they are good. But as a straight Offensive & Defensive team...their numbers are below average...especially defensively. And all this stuff about how they did not have Justin Houston a lot during the season, and that his loss was huge...BS! The numbers absolutely say otherwise. Houston missed the first 9 games of the season, and they went 7-2 without him. In fact the Chiefs were on a 5 game winning streak when Houston returned for their game against Tampa Bay...and they LOST with him.

The Chiefs are 20th in total Offense...and 24th in total Defense. They have been very lucky this season to have beaten some of the worst teams by a few points. Yes they did beat Oakland in a good performance. And they won at Atlanta..However J.Jones did not play that game. So even though they are not Dog Poop..they are hardly an elite level team.

GBMelBlount
12-28-2016, 06:57 PM
You can definitely be arrogant, argumentative, combative, self righteous and condescending Preach, but you certainly nail them on occasion!

Good job! :drink:

http://www.pipnet.com/eggs/koolaid-large.jpg

Craic
12-28-2016, 07:08 PM
The Chiefs are 20th in total Offense...and 24th in total Defense.
Although stats never say it all, those stats are definitely intriguing. I wonder, however, what they would look like over, say, the last five-seven games. Teams can get hot and overall stats matter less in those cases, but on the other side, if a team is hot for 5-7 games, they'd also tend to rise in the stats more than 20th and 24th.

Just to compare, here are the Steelers rank, then the Chiefs

OFFENSE
Yards per Offensive snap: 5th, 16th
Yards per pass attempt: 7th, 19th
Yards per Rush attempt: virtually even (4.4, 4.3 yards, 12 and 14th)
Total TDs: 11th, 17th

Defense
Yards per play, tied.
Total yards, 9th, 24th
Yards per pass, tied
Yards per rush, 15th, 22nd
Total points allowed per game, 9th, 5th.

What I take from this is . . . the Kansas City defense is pretty good, but they're also left on the field for long periods of time (which is why their overall yardage is much higher). The question is whether that offense can show up and score points against our defense that is ninth best in points allowed. Because our offense will show up, even if it's 18 points off the kicker's foot and late TD for the win.

The bell ringer
12-28-2016, 07:14 PM
I am not saying KC Sucks. But I do think they are not what a normal 12-4 team is ( Maybe )..But, if KC losses at San Diego...which is limping right now with a loss to several players...then what ? Look, I agree that Oakland could lose this weekend in Denver. I mean maybe Denver will be motivated to screw over their rivals the Raiders, or maybe end up 9-7...who knows. And I know KC won't know that outcome before their game cause both play at the same time. But if any of the three....Oakland-Miami and KC have a chance at losing this weekend it IS Miami and Oakland. KC has no real excuse right now to lose to the Chargers. And if they do...I think all that so-called confidence will be striped away.

Psycho Ward 86
12-28-2016, 10:06 PM
lets be real. ANY team is threat to us on the road. The only convincing road wins we've had are against an average redskins team and a hampered colts team led by a back up QB. the chiefs are still an actually good team, and other than Gillette Stadium, Arrowhead/CenturyLink Stadium are some of the toughest places to play

Craic
12-28-2016, 10:22 PM
I am not saying KC Sucks. But I do think they are not what a normal 12-4 team is ( Maybe )..But, if KC losses at San Diego...which is limping right now with a loss to several players...then what ? Look, I agree that Oakland could lose this weekend in Denver. I mean maybe Denver will be motivated to screw over their rivals the Raiders, or maybe end up 9-7...who knows. And I know KC won't know that outcome before their game cause both play at the same time. But if any of the three....Oakland-Miami and KC have a chance at losing this weekend it IS Miami and Oakland. KC has no real excuse right now to lose to the Chargers. And if they do...I think all that so-called confidence will be striped away.
Actually, I'm not arguing with you. I haven't followed KC enough to know whether they're a good team or not. I was just fascinated by the stats you posted so I wanted to take more in depth look at them. You very well could be right in everything you've posted here.

The bell ringer
12-28-2016, 10:30 PM
Actually, I'm not arguing with you. I haven't followed KC enough to know whether they're a good team or not. I was just fascinated by the stats you posted so I wanted to take more in depth look at them. You very well could be right in everything you've posted here.

Then again...I might not :lol:

pczach
12-29-2016, 05:10 AM
If we have to play KC, I wonder if Tomlin will put J.Gilbert on Kelce again.

At this point, we don't even know Gilbert's status. We haven't seen him in a while. We don't know if he's injured, or has been a healthy scratch from the lineup as he has been on the inactive list.

I'd like to have him just for his kickoff return skills, and the quality depth he can potentially provide at CB.

I guess we'll just have to hope the Steelers win a game or two, and we may find out.

salamander
12-29-2016, 06:06 AM
To me, best case scenario is that the stars align and we end up playing as many games as possible at home. This team scares me when they're on the road.

teegre
12-30-2016, 05:43 PM

polamalubeast
12-30-2016, 05:51 PM
KC is a very good team but they also lost at home against the Titans and Tampa Bay, so they are not unbeatable.

st33lersguy
12-30-2016, 06:29 PM
2 things need to happen for the Steelers to win the Super Bowl
1. Stay healthy
2. Quit rolling out the soft as shit defense, especially in crunch time like they did in Baltimore's last TD drive

Craic
12-30-2016, 06:31 PM
To me, best case scenario is that the stars align and we end up playing as many games as possible at home. This team scares me when they're on the road.

While that's definitely true, I don't know, I think I'd rather see them lose earlier in the playoffs on the road than in the SB on the road. By that I mean, I'd rather see them go on the road for 2 of their 3 playoff games and either lose, or show they've turned a corner before flying down for the big game. Then again, spending a week or a week and a half at the SB sight might actually allow the team (and Ben) to settle into their pre-game rhythm.

#CRASHFormation
12-30-2016, 07:38 PM
Simple, play man up in coverage on defense.

Play 3 wides on offense.

Do that and I like their chances against anyone.

Method28
12-30-2016, 07:59 PM
Man EVERYONE seems to be looking right past Miami 😕

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

GBMelBlount
12-30-2016, 08:10 PM
Simple, play man up in coverage on defense.

Play 3 wides on offense.

Do that and I like their chances against anyone.

I agree with 3 wide on offense.

Spreading out the defense gives Bell more room on runs and short passes.

#CRASHFormation
12-30-2016, 08:32 PM
I'll say it right now, if he's available in what may be his final season and he's on the block? Darren Sproles is a MUST for 2017.

They blew it three years ago, they can't afford to miss the chance again.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with 3 wide on offense.

Spreading out the defense gives Bell more room on runs and short passes.

And keeps the speed on the field. Miracle how AB got open down 10 points once the slugs hit the bench huh?

teegre
12-30-2016, 08:38 PM
Man EVERYONE seems to be looking right past Miami 😕

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

No, we aren't. We already say: must wine (Miami), no can lose.

The bell ringer
12-30-2016, 08:49 PM
I'll say it right now, if he's available in what may be his final season and he's on the block? Darren Sproles is a MUST for 2017.

They blew it three years ago, they can't afford to miss the chance again.

- - - Updated - - -

And keeps the speed on the field. Miracle how AB got open down 10 points once the slugs hit the bench huh?

Sproles is not even available Dude, I mean DUH! He has already announced that next season will be his last, and he is under contract for next season in Philly, and his base salary is peanuts. No way is Philly releasing him. Not with their RB situation.

#CRASHFormation
12-30-2016, 09:03 PM
He makes $4 million. And, you would think, he'd like to get on a contender.

The bell ringer
12-30-2016, 09:06 PM
He makes $4 million. And, you would think, he'd like to get on a contender.

Yeah you could THINK that..but you would be wrong. Darren has already said his first priority is to remain with the Eagles.

86WARD
12-31-2016, 02:52 AM
It's not a given that Sproles will be back to Philly. As it stands now, the Eagles are 850k+ over the projected 2017 cap. If they can draft a solid RB or pick one up in free agency that is more cap friendly than the $4M hit that Sproles would count against them, they would do it in a second...especially if Sproles isn't open to a restructure. He's clearly working in a backloaded deal that has hit that decision point for Philadelphia.

The bell ringer
12-31-2016, 08:46 AM
It's not a given that Sproles will be back to Philly. As it stands now, the Eagles are 850k+ over the projected 2017 cap. If they can draft a solid RB or pick one up in free agency that is more cap friendly than the $4M hit that Sproles would count against them, they would do it in a second...especially if Sproles isn't open to a restructure. He's clearly working in a backloaded deal that has hit that decision point for Philadelphia.

It wasn't a back loaded deal. His deal was up in 2015...all he did was sign a 1 year deal for this season...no Back loaded deal at all. And the Eagles trust me have zero Cap Issues. And 4 million IS peanuts. Hell EVERY one of the people down at my local Mcdonalds makes more scratch then that. :applaudit:

Mojouw
12-31-2016, 10:07 AM
KC is the only other team in the draw besides Rhe Pats that scares me. Signing Sproles is dumb. Never pay a 34 year old RB for past production.

#CRASHFormation
12-31-2016, 10:09 AM
As a backup and keeping AB off punt returns?

Remember, he's been primarily a backup/3rd down back. He doesn't have the wear and tear of a 34 year old RB.

Mojouw
12-31-2016, 10:13 AM
As a backup and keeping AB off punt returns?

Remember, he's been primarily a backup/3rd down back. He doesn't have the wear and tear of a 34 year old RB.

why keep AB off punt returns? All the data shows it does little if anything to increase injury.

4 million or more for a backup RB is a ton of cap space.

#CRASHFormation
12-31-2016, 10:17 AM
why keep AB off punt returns? All the data shows it does little if anything to increase injury.

4 million or more for a backup RB is a ton of cap space.

For 1 year? I'd do it. Sproles is still productive. If we are going to continue this offense? A) They have to save Bell's legs a bit, and B) Sproles is suited for it perfectly. Christ Rivers career went right down the crapper once he didn't have LT and Sproles to dump off passes to.

The bell ringer
12-31-2016, 10:23 AM
For 1 year? I'd do it. Sproles is still productive. If we are going to continue this offense? A) They have to save Bell's legs a bit, and B) Sproles is suited for it perfectly. Christ Rivers career went right down the crapper once he didn't have LT and Sproles to dump off passes to.

What difference has Sproles ever made to any team he was on ?...Answer..None. Yes he can compile some nice combined numbers overall, but in the end he is not great at anything. And as for a returner....watch one Mr.Demarcus Ayers tomorrow for the answer to that question.

#CRASHFormation
12-31-2016, 10:36 AM
What difference has Sproles ever made to any team he was on ?...Answer..None.

Ask Rivers. Hell ask Brees. They have a combined 7 seasons playing without him since 2011.

One playoff season between them.

For what Haley wants Ben to do? IE. get rid of the ball quicker? Sproles is a match made in heaven on 3rd downs in our offense.

Ayers may not even make the team next season simply because of numbers. Could be AB, Bryant, Coates, Eli, DHB, and either Hamilton or Ayers if they keep six.

86WARD
12-31-2016, 10:39 AM
It wasn't a back loaded deal. His deal was up in 2015...all he did was sign a 1 year deal for this season...no Back loaded deal at all. And the Eagles trust me have zero Cap Issues. And 4 million IS peanuts. Hell EVERY one of the people down at my local Mcdonalds makes more scratch then that. :applaudit:

I thought he was on a 3-year 10.5M deal...no?

The Eagles do have plenty of cap issues at the moment. They'll be well over the projected cap as of now. ($800k+) For Philadelphia, that's an issue. Usually that team has their cap under control. They'll be able to manage it, but regardless, it will be an issue that will have to be addressed first.

polamalubeast
12-31-2016, 10:41 AM
I do not want to have Bell on the sidelines on 3rd down....This would be the case if the steelers would sign Sproles.

The bell ringer
12-31-2016, 10:42 AM
I thought he was on a 3-year 10.5M deal...no?

The Eagles do have plenty of cap issues at the moment. They'll be well over the projected cap as of now. ($800k+) For Philadelphia, that's an issue. Usually that team has their cap under control. They'll be able to manage it, but regardless, it will be an issue that will have to be addressed first.

No he wasn't.

#CRASHFormation
12-31-2016, 10:47 AM
Sproles signed an extension in July for 2017. He's not a free agent.

He's previous extension was for 2 years in March 2014 after he was traded there.

Mojouw
12-31-2016, 11:01 AM
Ask Rivers. Hell ask Brees. They have a combined 7 seasons playing without him since 2011.

One playoff season between them.

For what Haley wants Ben to do? IE. get rid of the ball quicker? Sproles is a match made in heaven on 3rd downs in our offense.

Ayers may not even make the team next season simply because of numbers. Could be AB, Bryant, Coates, Eli, DHB, and either Hamilton or Ayers if they keep six.

There is a serious problem between correlation and causation there, but I'm not going to get dragged down that rabbit hole.

As Polamalubeast said, why take Bell off to put an inferior player on he field?

The real off-season task is to find a Dwill replacement.

GBMelBlount
12-31-2016, 11:19 AM
There is a serious problem between correlation and causation there, but I'm not going to get dragged down that rabbit hole.

The real off-season task is to find a Dwill replacement.

The draft is supposed to be deep with running backs, edge rushers and defensive backs.

So maybe draft a running back in the first 3 rounds (along with an edge rusher & defensive back), and then maybe a WR & offensive lineman.

I think we are going to have to work with what we have at TE for the time being.

#CRASHFormation
12-31-2016, 11:40 AM

To preserve his legs. Bell will get plenty of touches even with a lessened work load.

BOTH Whiz and Arians made an effort to give Parker a break, and he still tappped out after 5 years.

Bell gets no breaks, hell DW didn't when Bell was out.

No matter who the starter is, that has to change. Haley's just wearing these guys down.

The one position he shouldn't.

Mojouw
12-31-2016, 11:40 AM
The draft is supposed to be deep with running backs, edge rushers and defensive backs.

So maybe draft a running back in the first 3 rounds (along with an edge rusher & defensive back), and then maybe a WR & offensive lineman.

I think we are going to have to work with what we have at TE for the time being.

That could work. I am not concerned about TE. I think Green will return to health for the playoff run this season and be an absolute terror next year with a fully healthy off-season to get back in top shape and integrate into the offense. If James and Grimble can continue to develop, shouldn't be a problem. Although if even one of them could learn to block it would be a pretty darn good idea...

I'm not certain that I would spend a draft pick on a back. I (just my opinion here) think that back-up RBs are a dime a dozen and you can get a pretty darn good one for cheap in either the FA or UDFA market each off-season. I would first try and bring Cobb back if he shakes loose from whatever roster he is floating around on. Then I would attempt to sign the prize of whatever didn't get drafted. Let those two fight it out. All that being said, David Johnson was a 3rd round pick...

Edge rusher has to be the priority. In fact I wouldn't mind a double dip at the position.

st33lersguy
12-31-2016, 11:46 AM
Why are we talking about trading away draft picks for a 34 year old back-up RB? Makes no sense

Mojouw
12-31-2016, 11:46 AM
To preserve his legs. Bell will get plenty of touches even with a lessened work load.

BOTH Whiz and Arians made an effort to give Parker a break, and he still tappped out after 5 years.

No matter who the starter is, that has to change. Haley's just wearing these guys down.

Parker shattering his leg may have contributed to that.

Bell ranks 105th and 233 all time in his top 2 seasons for touches. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/touches_single_season.htm
Not sure that is really running the wheels off...

This season, Bell is in good company with the total # of touches, but it must be acknowledged that he missed multiple games so his per game # is a bit higher than other frontline RBs. However, that usage would likely change if Haley and company knew he was going to play the full 16 game slate

David Johnson (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnDa08.htm) • ARI

Ezekiel Elliott (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElliEz00.htm) • DAL

Le'Veon Bell (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BellLe00.htm) • PIT

DeMarco Murray (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MurrDe00.htm) • TEN

Todd Gurley (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GurlTo01.htm) • LAR

Lamar Miller (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MillLa01.htm) • HOU

Melvin Gordon (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GordMe00.htm) • SDG

LeGarrette Blount (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BlouLe00.htm) • NWE

Frank Gore (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GoreFr00.htm) • IND

LeSean McCoy (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McCoLe01.htm) • BUF

polamalubeast
12-31-2016, 11:49 AM

I think it's more on Tomlin than on Haley for overused the running back.Remember in 2007 when Parker had more than 300 touches before his injury!

Parker also has never been a good receiver as Bell.Bell has been our 2nd best receiver in 2014 and this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Why are we talking about trading away draft picks for a 34 year old back-up RB? Makes no sense

The same guy wanted the steelers trade a first round pick for Joe Thomas yesterday!

#CRASHFormation
12-31-2016, 11:51 AM
Why are we talking about trading away draft picks for a 34 year old back-up RB? Makes no sense3

Makes perfect since. They could have him for a 5th round pick if he hits the market.

I'll do that than just hope a 5th rounder pans out.

The bell ringer
Parker was always tiny. He was 40lbs lighter then Bell. Besides, it's not like Sproles is a difference maker. Not even as a situational 3rd down player. A lot of others in that role had better numbers and were a much more dangerous threat. What Sproles brings...a Hundred other players could easily bring only cheaper.

st33lersguy

Edge rusher is a must. There is an opportunity to get a pretty good RB in the middle rounds who can be a back-up for Bell, and they could use defensive back depth. I also think they should try and find a QB that can at least be a competent backup and possibly even some D-line depth before O-line and WR

#CRASHFormation
12-31-2016, 11:54 AM
The same guy wanted the steelers trade a first round pick for Joe Thomas yesterday!

Incorrect. I said trade a #2 pick for Joe Thomas, with the condition that it goes to a #1 if they reach the AFC title game.

If you had the choice of trading the #29 pick in the draft in exchange for two playoff wins this season, would you do it?

I would, and wouldn't think twice.

polamalubeast
12-31-2016, 11:57 AM
I would spend a first or second draft pick only on an urgent need....

#CRASHFormation
12-31-2016, 11:59 AM
If you think going into the playoffs with Villanueva is acceptable? More power to you.

He wouldn't start on any other playoff team in this league.

The bell ringer
12-31-2016, 12:04 PM
If you think going into the playoffs with Villanueva is acceptable? More power to you.

I guarantee you he would in Seattle, or Green Bay. Their Tackles, and whole O-Line Suck!!

polamalubeast
12-31-2016, 12:05 PM

HAHAHA!!!!!!

Look who was the LT of the super bowl champion last year....

Ryan Harris!

The steelers had Jonathan Scott as LT in 2010 when they was the AFC champions too.

st33lersguy
12-31-2016, 12:12 PM
Incorrect. I said trade a #2 pick for Joe Thomas, with the condition that it goes to a #1 if they reach the AFC title game.

If you had the choice of trading the #29 pick in the draft in exchange for two playoff wins this season, would you do it?

How does it make any sense to trade a 1st or 2nd round draft pick and disrupt chemistry along the offensive line right before the playoffs just to get an OT who is over 30 years old and replace a guy who has improved during the course of the year and is actually playing fairly well right now, I mean this doesn't make any sense, nor does spending a 5th round pick on an aging back-up RB who only play one more year. Draft picks are valuable currency that when used correctly can build/replenish a team. Trading draft picks willy nilly for 30+ year old veterans is a short-sighted tactic

teegre
12-31-2016, 12:20 PM
Which person is Gopher's favorite thread derailer:

a) Darren Sproles
b) Joe Thomas
c) Todd Haley
d) the disruptive lawyer (Art II)

st33lersguy
12-31-2016, 12:20 PM
HAHAHA!!!!!!

Ryan Harris!

The steelers had Jonathan Scott as LT in 2010 when they was the AFC champions too.

AV is an all-pro compared to what Jonathan Scott was, that guy was god-awful. The O-line the Steelers assembled in 08 was awful as well, didn't stop them from winning a Super Bowl that year, or beat a Baltimore team with a stacked front 7 including Terrell Suggs, Haloti Ngata, and the Murderer in the championship game that year

The bell ringer
12-31-2016, 12:23 PM
This O-line has let Ben get sacked 17 times....This ends all the debate about AV or anything else.

#CRASHFormation
12-31-2016, 12:28 PM

Ryan Harris!

Because Clady got hurt, and then Ty Sambrailio got hurt. Harris started the year at right tackle.

And the ONLY reason Harris stayed at LT? Was because the Broncos at the last minute, pulled out of a trade for.......Joe Thomas.

And they lost the Super Bowl.

This team wants Ben to stay healthy and LT has been an afterthought since Marvel left. Just silly.

- - - Updated - - -

AV is an all-pro compared to what Jonathan Scott was, that guy was god-awful. The O-line the Steelers assembled in 08 was awful as well, didn't stop them from winning a Super Bowl that year, or beat a Baltimore team with a stacked front 7 including Terrell Suggs, Haloti Ngata, and the Murderer in the championship game that year

The OL the Steelers actually assembled in 2008 lost two starters, Marvel Smith and Kendall Simmons to injury in season.

They were fortunate to survive.

polamalubeast
12-31-2016, 12:31 PM
Because Clady got hurt, and then Ty Sambrailio got hurt. Harris started the year at right tackle.

And the ONLY reason Harris stayed at LT? Was because the Broncos at the last minute, pulled out of a trade for.......Joe Thomas.

And they lost the Super Bowl.

This team wants Ben to stay healthy and LT has been an afterthought since Marvel left. Just silly.

The steelers have spent a lot in draft pick and money on the o-line and it paid off with only 17 sacks allowed this year

It's time to improve another position than the o-line now!

#CRASHFormation
12-31-2016, 12:36 PM
The steelers have spent a lot in draft pick and money on the o-line and it paid off with only 17 sacks allowed this year

And LT still remains an afterthought.

Just silly.

st33lersguy
12-31-2016, 12:39 PM
Who would you rather spend a 2017 1st round pick on, a 21-23 year old player that will a position in need of improvement or a 32-year old OT that addresses a position that really does not need a lot of improvement

#CRASHFormation
12-31-2016, 12:42 PM
Who would you rather spend a 2017 1st round pick on, a 21-23 year old player that will a position in need of improvement or a 32-year old OT that addresses a position that really does not need a lot of improvement

Please. If AV worked at Pizza Hut no one would care about him. He's a great STORY.

But wouldn't start on any other "contender".

The bell ringer
12-31-2016, 12:45 PM
Please. If AV worked at Pizza Hut no one would care about him. He's a great STORY.

But wouldn't start on any other "contender".

I'm sure you would LOVE to have AV working at Pizza Hut...that way you would have someone to lift all those heavy boxes for you Crash. :rofl2:

#CRASHFormation
12-31-2016, 01:36 PM
No shit.

But we should have got him at the deadline. #29 (at least) for 2 1/2 years of Joe Thomas if we made it to the AFCC game this year would have been worth it.

st33lersguy
12-31-2016, 01:40 PM
No shit.

But we should have got him at the deadline. #29 (at least) for 2 1/2 years of Joe Thomas if we made it to the AFCC game this year would have been worth it.

So 2.5 years out of an OT replacing an OT that hasn't been playing poorly at all instead of potentially over a decade out of a player at a bigger position of need. Enlighten me on how this makes a modicum of sense

#CRASHFormation
12-31-2016, 01:51 PM
So 2.5 years out of an OT replacing an OT that hasn't been playing poorly at all instead of potentially over a decade out of a player at a bigger position of need. Enlighten me on how this makes a modicum of sense

When he's arguably the best LT in football and you have a HOF QB with about three years left.

Alas, below, the last time we picked at #29:

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/slides/photos/002/119/235/jamain_display_image_crop_north.jpg?w=350&h=240&q=75

fansince'76
12-31-2016, 01:55 PM
I think OL is among the least of our problems heading into the postseason, which is quite a switch from 2008 or so...

Mojouw
12-31-2016, 02:01 PM
If I ever get over the crippling hangover that I'm sure to have tomorrow due to a series of poor decisions starting in a few hours, I guess I'll have to Google the starting LTs for playoff teams and see how many are worse than AV. I can think of 3 off the top of my head.

Ot I could go Crash style and just make blanket hyperbolic statements.

AV is the best LT in the playoffs. We could trade him for four 1st round picks.

st33lersguy
12-31-2016, 02:10 PM
When he's arguably the best LT in football and you have a HOF QB with about three years left.

Alas, below, the last time we picked at #29:

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/slides/photos/002/119/235/jamain_display_image_crop_north.jpg?w=350&h=240&q=75

Would rather have a player that can contribute after Ben has retired, they will need all the help they can get

#CRASHFormation
12-31-2016, 02:44 PM
Would rather have a player that can contribute after Ben has retired, they will need all the help they can get

I'd rather they go balls out and worry about now.

Unless they get lucky like Green Bay did with Rodgers they will have some down years after Ben. It's unavoidable.

teegre
12-31-2016, 02:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxLkULsNSFI&app=desktop

#CRASHFormation
12-31-2016, 03:02 PM
Soothing music. :whoo:

86WARD
12-31-2016, 03:07 PM
Sproles signed an extension in July for 2017. He's not a free agent.

He's previous extension was for 2 years in March 2014 after he was traded there.

Yes and previous to that he was on a 3-year 10.5M deal. I wasn't aware he signed an extension. Makes sense.

st33lersguy
12-31-2016, 03:09 PM
I'd rather they go balls out and worry about now.

Unless they get lucky like Green Bay did with Rodgers they will have some down years after Ben. It's unavoidable.

Of course 1st round picks can potentially help now and the future such as our top 3 picks helping the steelers win this year

Mojouw
12-31-2016, 04:13 PM
Ugggghhhh. I feel like these discussions can be fun, but it is mostly just yelling about ludicrous possibilities that would only happen in Madden franchise mode.

Why would Cleveland take a 2nd rounder that could be a conditional first (the AFC championship game scenario) for Joe Thomas? They wanted a 1st plus other things in the 2015 and 2016 rumored trades that didn't get pulled off because no one was willing to meet their price. What has changed that a division rival would be able to trade for basically a high 3rd round pick that could elevate to a high second round pick (best the pick could be would be like 28th or something)? It has no basis in logic. Plus Thomas brings a 10.5 and 11 million cap charge for 2017 and 2018. Where the hell is that money going to come from?

AV is younger and cost 500 K against the cap. He will need resigned, but I doubt he is getting a 10.5 million dollar raise!

Also in what world does a 5th round draft pick ensure the acquisition of Sproles? I mean if he is only worth a 5th round pick, why in the hell would the Steelers give up the draft pick AND pay between 3-5 million per year for an old scat-back? If Sproles is worth the coin to a playoff team, then it is going to take more than a 5th round pick to pry him loose from the Eagles. There's like 5 guys on this list (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/running-back/) that could do the whole "3rd down RB" think for 25% of the cost of Sproles, plus no draft pick needed. That doesn't even count all the young guys on practice squads and the lower end of rosters that will get cut between now and training camp.

I get that flags fly forever and no one can take Lombardi trophies away from you, but throwing draft picks around willy-nilly almost never works. The Saints traded a wheelbarrow of picks for Ricky Williams. The Vikings traded a boatload for Herschel Walker. Neither trade had the desired result. In the last 10-15 years the teams with the most sustained success have gone out of their way to accumulate draft picks not spend them on high priced veterans. Heck, Ozzie Newsome has made an entire roster out of the compensation picks he gets for letting vet free agents leave. Belicheck has like 112 2017-19 picks squirreled away.

Draft picks are almost priceless commodities in salary cap football. You need them so that when you pay 60-70% of your cap to 3-4 star players, you can still field a good team with young, cheap, controllable talent. Lose that resource and the cap will certainly implode, your roster will be thin, and your team will be garbage.

But what do I really know? I mean clearly LT is the limiting factor on this team. Maybe another RB or two. Push all the sluggos off the team. I mean a modern run and shoot offense works so well when I play video games with it. I also never punt, always onsides kick, go for 2 every time, and play the same max blitz every down.

#CRASHFormation
12-31-2016, 04:17 PM
Why would Cleveland take a 2nd rounder that could be a conditional first (the AFC championship game scenario) for Joe Thomas?

Because they stink. They could get another #1 pick, and save $25 million.

Push all the sluggos off the team.

I agree. Keep #45 #74 #82 and #85 on the bench and let James/Green and the wides do their job.

Like they did last week for 15 minutes and saved their season.

Mojouw
12-31-2016, 04:25 PM
Because they stink. They could get another #1 pick, and save $25 million.

I agree. Keep #45 #74 #82 and #85 on the bench and let James/Green and the wides do their job.

Like they did last week for 15 minutes and saved their season. [/COLOR]

None of this makes any sense. Have you seen Nix open a hole? Johnson is the only TE type player on the roster who can block, the failure of the others is why Hubbard checks in the game.

I love airing it out and piling up the points, but a SB caliber team needs to be able to win games multiple ways. You take some of the players you continually disparage off the roster and you have a one-dimensional finesse team. Not impossible to win that way, just damn hard.

polamalubeast
12-31-2016, 04:28 PM
An elite LT is good to have that, but it is not a must if you want to win a super bowl.

Who is the last elite LT to have won a super bowl? .... Jonathan Odgen?

That's why I would never give a first round pick and in addition to his salary to have a 32 years old Left Tackle ...

- - - Updated - - -

None of this makes any sense. Have you seen Nix open a hole? Johnson is the only TE type player on the roster who can block, the failure of the others is why Hubbard checks in the game.

I love airing it out and piling up the points, but a SB caliber team needs to be able to win games multiple ways. You take some of the players you continually disparage off the roster and you have a one-dimensional finesse team. Not impossible to win that way, just damn hard.

I agree...The Colts with Peyton Manning was often a finesse offense but the Colts were never the same offense in the playoffs.

#CRASHFormation
12-31-2016, 04:32 PM
None of this makes any sense. Have you seen Nix open a hole?

Washington, Dallas, Kansas City. The final 15 minutes last week.

That's the offense's highlights this season.

Nix barely played in any of them.

So why is Haley getting cute by THROWING in that formation? Pick #2 was that exact formation, and AB was off the field.

Three wides, a TE, a RB. Mix Ben from under center and shot gun and go score 30 points.

The ONLY thing that stops our offense, is constantly wasting plays by trying to be cute.

- - - Updated - - -

An elite LT is good to have that, but it is not a must if you want to win a super bowl.

Who is the last elite LT to have won a super bowl? .... Jonathan Odgen?

That's why I would never give a first round pick and in addition to his salary to have a 32 years old Left Tackle ...

- - - Updated - - -

I agree...The Colts with Peyton Manning was often a finesse offense but the Colts were never the same offense in the playoffs.

Because Peyton's a choking dog. Always has been.

Mojouw
12-31-2016, 04:36 PM
Washington, Dallas, Kansas City. The final 15 minutes last week.

That's the offense's highlights this season.

Nix barely played in any of them.

[/COLOR]So why is Haley getting cute by THROWING in that formation? Pick #2 was that exact formation, and AB was off the field.

Three wides, a TE, a RB. Mix Ben from under center and shot gun and go score 30 points.

The ONLY thing that stops our offense, is constantly wasting plays by trying to be cute.

I seem to remember a game in Buffalo that was something of an offensive highlight. Nix and Johnson were on the field for about 25-33% of the snaps. Wonder if they had any part in what happened that day?

The picks in the Ravens game were due to the Ravens NOT buying the play action/run looks the Steelers were trying to sell. Then the inexperience of the TEs on running their routes was a factor and finally Ben just had a small stroke or something and did that thing where he totally fails to see multiple defenders.

I seem to remember several games this year where running the ball to control the clock and finish off games was important. I also seem to remember those slow blocking dudes on teh field then. But I'm getting older and I like to drink...so who really knows?

Clearly you do. I would like to know how you plan on running out the clock up by 3-7 points with between 4 and 6 minutes left in the game with a roster that lacks blocking FBs, TEs, etc. But maybe situational football isn't really that important.

#CRASHFormation
12-31-2016, 04:41 PM
Then the inexperience of the TEs on running their routes

Johnson's been in the league long enough.

James didn't look inexperienced in the 4th quarter. You know, when we had three wides on the field for 29 of 30 plays?

Clearly you do. I would like to know how you plan on running out the clock up by 3-7 points with between 4 and 6 minutes left in the game with a roster that lacks blocking FBs, TEs, etc. But maybe situational football isn't really that important

You CAN run the ball with three wides you know?

We still don't have blokcing tight ends. James can't and Johnson's loafs way too many times. How he gets the snaps he does, with the little effort he gives, is amazing.

86WARD
12-31-2016, 04:49 PM
Mix did nothing in the Buffalo game Mojouw. The one TD where Bell walked in...lol...Nix had nothing to do with that.

:eyerolls:

Mojouw
12-31-2016, 05:00 PM
I think I know what my New Year's resolution is going to be...I'm certain to break it. but I gotta at least try?

I'm going to get this one in before the ball drops though.

Someone find me any #'s to back up the idea that an NFL team is better running the ball out of 11 personnel rather than 12 in obvious running situations. Or we could discuss that the Steelers ran about 60-70% of their offense out of 3 WR sets both 2015 and 2016. Meaning that the time they were in heavy formations was situational not a default offensive scheme. But, hey, why let actual information get in the way of a good argument?

- - - Updated - - -

Mix did nothing in the Buffalo game Mojouw. The one TD where Bell walked in...lol...Nix had nothing to do with that.

:eyerolls:

Yeah. FB's are stupid!

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/12/film-room-roosevelt-nix-leads-way/

Look at all that WR blocking!

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/11/steelers-film-room-roosevelt-nix-back-best/

From an early season article:http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/10/steelers-turn-nix-post-bye-boost-run-game/

"The running game has had a hard time getting going over the course of the past couple of weeks—Bell averaged fewer than four yards per carry against the Patriots, for example—so a greater infusion of activity from the fullback position might serve as a boost in productivity, as the statistical splits between fullback usage and non-fullback usage in the run game last year showed.
There was a statistically significant improvement in terms of yards per carry when Nix was on the field in the running game last year, and the majority of their explosive runs also saw him in action, even though he was accountable for less than a quarter of all runs. If he is up to the task when the Steelers resume their schedule, I would hope that he sees more action on the other side of the bye."

One last thing before I go:

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/bf/bfc7ea57d87b981b8dadde4e72ac22946d0ec606c8dee7b45c 8f6dfa40aac738.jpg

You know who you are!

86WARD
12-31-2016, 05:03 PM
Literally walked in...lol

#CRASHFormation
12-31-2016, 05:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oxbocufUeA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq8D-Ollaio

And on the other side of the scale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEINLjYTnTE

st33lersguy
12-31-2016, 05:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEINLjYTnTE

So David Johnson misses a block in a Super Bowl 6 years ago, therefore Roosevelt Nix has no value to the team? Nix is a solid player, and as what's already posted, he brings value to the running game

Mojouw
12-31-2016, 05:23 PM
On the Parker Run:

That's a TE on the end of the line. In fact it is one of the best blocking TE's in recent memory. Miller might as well be an extra tackle. Not to mention the best blocking WR in the history of the NFL about 2 more yards to the right of the screen.

On the Mendenhall Fumble:
Just because David Johnson tends to suck doesn't mean the concept isn't sound.

To your overall argument or lack thereof:
Should I just cue up old Bettis highlights and we can see the amazing work of John L Williams, a young Kuhn, prime Danny Krieder, etc?

teegre
12-31-2016, 05:32 PM
Push all the sluggos off the team. I mean a modern run and shoot offense works so well

Gopher's Depth Chart:

QB: Ben Roethlisberger
WR1: Antonio Brown
WR2: Martavis Bryant
WR3: Sammie Coats
WR4: Darius Heyward-Bey
WR5: Eli Rogers
WR6: Cobi Hamilton
WR7: Markus Wheaton
WR8: Demarcus Ayers
WR9: Marcus Tucker
WR10: Canaan Severin

#CRASHFormation
12-31-2016, 05:41 PM
That's a TE on the end of the line. In fact it is one of the best blocking TE's in recent memory. Miller might as well be an extra tackle. Not to mention the best blocking WR in the history of the NFL about 2 more yards to the right of the screen.

Three wides. Space.

Two tight ends, fumble.

Should I just cue up old Bettis highlights and we can see the amazing work of John L Williams, a young Kuhn, prime Danny Krieder, etc?

1. John L. Williams never played with Jerome Bettis.

2. John Kuhn never played with Jerome Bettis.

3. When I think of Jerome Bettis? I think of this. Once the beloved jumbo package:

<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(229, 229, 229);">
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUcDGLHCOi4

st33lersguy
12-31-2016, 05:56 PM
3. When I think of Jerome Bettis? I think of this. Once the beloved jumbo package:

[/COLOR]<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(229, 229, 229);">
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUcDGLHCOi4

Yay, more nitpicking in a sad attempt to prop up your argument

Mojouw
12-31-2016, 05:58 PM
I'll admit when I'm wrong. Williams did not play with Bettis. Kuhn did his rookie year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c5RAQDU5F8

#CRASHFormation
12-31-2016, 06:09 PM
KUHN NEVER PLAYED with Bettis. Kuhn played 9 games on special teams in 2006.

Bettis was already done.

Yay, more nitpicking in a sad attempt to prop up your argument

If I wanted to do that I would have put his fumble against the Jets in the post season.

His failed HB option pass at Cincy in the 2005 playoffs.

His failed TD attempts in SB XL. Ben bailed him out once. Couldn't do it twice.

pczach
12-31-2016, 07:10 PM
On the Parker Run:

To your overall argument or lack thereof:

Fullbacks still have plenty of value.

Lorenzo Neal made a lucrative career out of paving the way for running backs for many years and several teams. Running out of the I-formation still has it's merits for teams that are willing to use it, or simply lining the fullback up in off sets or bringing them in motion to engage in the block, help determine coverage, or provide deception on the direction of the run. If you do play action off of those formations with a fullback, you could also throw him the ball, or have him help in pass protection.

Those that say a fullback is useless don't fully understand how they can be used if you find a guy that is talented and versatile, and the OC is willing to get creative with him.

The role of a fullback is so much more than many people here are considering.

- - - Updated - - -

KUHN NEVER PLAYED with Bettis. Kuhn played 9 games on special teams in 2006.

Bettis was already done.

If I wanted to do that I would have put his fumble against the Jets in the post season.

His failed HB option pass at Cincy in the 2005 playoffs.

His failed TD attempts in SB XL. Ben bailed him out once. Couldn't do it twice.

[/COLOR]

So now you're going to base your entire argument on the few negative plays you find in the career of a hall of fame player?

You're not making any sense, and you are discrediting your own argument.

#CRASHFormation
12-31-2016, 07:13 PM
Bettis most times came up short in the post season, early in his Steelers career he was a fumbler in key moments until Dick Hoak change where he held the football.

We don't need Roosevelt Nix. The more he plays the more the offense will suffer.

pczach
12-31-2016, 07:20 PM
Bettis most times came up short in the post season, early in his Steelers career he was a fumbler in key moments until Dick Hoak change where he held the football.

We don't need Roosevelt Nix. The more he plays the more the offense will suffer.

You can have 3 wide receiver sets and still use a fullback if they really wanted to. It's all a matter of how the personnel is used.

I'm not saying a fullback needs to be on the field all the time. I don't think anyone here is saying that either. There are situations and certain matchups where it makes a ton of sense. Particularly with the way the offensive line has been run blocking.

st33lersguy
12-31-2016, 07:22 PM
Mojouw posted 3 articles proving nix's value. Crashformation's argument somehow turned into pointing out all of Bettis' negatives

#CRASHFormation
12-31-2016, 07:36 PM
And I'll post the Dallas game, the Washington game, the KC game, and the final 15 minutes Sunday.

The best the offense has looked all year is above.

Nix was nowhere to be found.

86WARD
01-01-2017, 03:49 AM
And Nix also has no value to the special teams. Not to mention that a Power I Offensive game plan is naturally going to put up less points than going 11 personnel. Although in Oakland last season they pit up 38 points running 11 personnel for almost half the game.

The bell ringer
01-01-2017, 08:38 AM
And Nix also has no value to the special teams. Not to mention that a Power I Offensive game plan is naturally going to put up less points than going 11 personnel. Although in Oakland last season they pit up 38 points running 11 personnel for almost half the game.

We run the exact same Offense as New England does, and they don't have issues with Scoring. It's not about what positional players you have or play at times. It's their talent that matters.

Born2Steel
01-01-2017, 11:45 AM
If Nix had "NO VALUE", Nix would not be on the roster. Stats can show many things. Value to a team cannot always be measured in stats. Not one player is on our roster that has zero value to this team. This argument is pointless and stupid.

86WARD
01-01-2017, 11:52 AM
You clearly don't know how football works if you don't think personnel matters...lol. You could also have a very talented player in one situation that's put into another situation and half the player he was. See Josh Norman, Nnamdi Asomugha, DeMarco Murray...the list is endless.

On second thought though, you'd be right. Blount, Edelman, Amendola, Hogan...they're all better than Bell, Brown, Rogers...lol.

NE is averaging 27.1/game. Steelers are 24.8/game. NE has played a much easier schedule compared to the Steelers. There's kinda gonna be a difference between the 4th hardest schedule and the 31st most difficult...maybe 3 or so points...lol.

The bell ringer
01-01-2017, 11:52 AM
If Nix had "NO VALUE", Nix would not be on the roster. Stats can show many things. Value to a team cannot always be measured in stats. Not one player is on our roster that has zero value to this team. This argument is pointless and stupid.

Exactly. That is why someone like David Johnson has been on the team for 7 years. For the things that a fan cannot see, or that a stat page doesn't show.

#CRASHFormation
01-01-2017, 03:41 PM
Leave Nix on special teams.

You saw how Jones played today once Johnson, Nix, and Hubbard went back to the bench where they belong.

teegre
01-06-2017, 09:01 PM

Psycho Ward 86
01-06-2017, 09:10 PM
You clearly don't know how football works if you don't think personnel matters...lol. You could also have a very talented player in one situation that's put into another situation and half the player he was. See Josh Norman, Nnamdi Asomugha, DeMarco Murray...the list is endless.

On second thought though, you'd be right. Blount, Edelman, Amendola, Hogan...they're all better than Bell, Brown, Rogers...lol.

NE is averaging 27.1/game. Steelers are 24.8/game. NE has played a much easier schedule compared to the Steelers. There's kinda gonna be a difference between the 4th hardest schedule and the 31st most difficult...maybe 3 or so points...lol.

Bravo. Probably as good of examples as anyone could come up with!

GBMelBlount
01-06-2017, 09:11 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-P7b_jtbRY1Q/VCTURjlBbtI/AAAAAAAAGL8/_YCpFtKD6OA/s1600/rob.png

#CRASHFormation
01-06-2017, 09:45 PM
Bravo. Probably as good of examples as anyone could come up with!

Roosevelt Nix is a nobody.

The more he (and #74 and #82) plays, the worse the offense is.

Nix wouldn't see 10 meaningful snaps a year on any other "contender" in the playoffs.

Christ he barely plays now.

DesertSteel
01-07-2017, 11:59 AM
All things in our favor, we have to beat NE at NE. I'm not sure we can. No one else worries me. That said, we could lose to,or row.

01-07-2017, 12:02 PM
All things in our favor, we have to beat NE at NE. I'm not sure we can. No one else worries me. That said, we could lose to,or row. KC worries me more at there place then the Pats but that's just me.

Craic
01-07-2017, 12:03 PM
All things in our favor, we have to beat NE at NE. I'm not sure we can. No one else worries me. That said, we could lose to,or row.

I think another way to say it is, on paper, there's no reason for us to lose to any team in the playoffs in the AFC except the Patriots. I do like going up to Foxborough as underdogs, however. The Steelers did provide a blueprint for beating the Pats* a few years ago. Here's hoping we pull the game tape and learn a few things from it.

01-07-2017, 12:05 PM
I think another way to say it is, on paper, there's no reason for us to lose to any team in the playoffs in the AFC except the Patriots. I do like going up to Foxborough as underdogs, however. The Steelers did provide a blueprint for beating the Pats* a few years ago. Here's hoping we pull the game tape and learn a few things from it. Yep play man and not 10 feet of the line with the cb's.

DesertSteel
01-07-2017, 12:08 PM
I think another way to say it is, on paper, there's no reason for us to lose to any team in the playoffs in the AFC except the Patriots. I do like going up to Foxborough as underdogs, however. The Steelers did provide a blueprint for beating the Pats* a few years ago. Here's hoping we pull the game tape and learn a few things from it.
Right on. If our offense strikes early and throughout I think we could take them. But this sputter for 3 quarters and explode in the 4th won't cut it against NE.

Craic
01-07-2017, 12:10 PM
Yep play man and not 10 feet of the line with the cb's.

Yep, that's exactly how we beat them. Of course, the problem this time is they have a good RB and we've allowed quite a few runs up the gut, so I can see our DC being loathe to tie up the CBs and not provide run support. Here's hoping we get it done.

Oh, and I'd definitely switch signals at half time.

polamalubeast
01-07-2017, 12:10 PM

We must beat Miami and Kansas City before, but if the steelers are in the AFC title games and they play against the Patriots, yes the steelers can beat the Patriots.The Seahawks have been awful on the road this year, but they beat the pats on their field.

Also, the offense of the steelers always moving the ball well against the Patriots, but they have always had trouble on finishing drive with a TD, so if the steelers finish their drive with a TD instead of FG (or worse, miss FG or turnovers)it's possible....

teegre
01-13-2017, 12:16 PM

teegre
01-13-2017, 02:31 PM
Due to the time change...

86WARD
01-13-2017, 03:10 PM
MUST WINE AT NIGHT. NO CAN LOSE!!!

Is it WINE or WHINE?

43Hitman
01-13-2017, 03:25 PM
MUST WINE AT NIGHT. NO CAN LOSE!!!

Is it WINE or WHINE?lol, I can't remember, I think its WINE though..

tube517
01-13-2017, 04:10 PM
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/2589-Can-No-Lose?p=51144&viewfull=1#post51144

:noidea:

teegre
01-13-2017, 04:22 PM
Is it WINE or WHINE?

WINE

I know this, because "whine" would be spelled correctly. :lol:

43Hitman
01-13-2017, 05:25 PM
WINE

I know this, because "whine" would be spelled correctly. :lol::sofunny: :doh:

EzraTank
01-13-2017, 05:25 PM
We just need Tom Brady to pull every muscle in his body this week.

pczach
01-13-2017, 07:47 PM
We just need Tom Brady to pull every muscle in his body this week.

I agree....Pull something.....or maybe a little worse.

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/images/folder26/11913026.jpg

polamalubeast
01-16-2017, 05:02 PM
2 of the reasons why the steelers are in the AFC title game after being 4-5

The steelers have been a running team since 2 months and it is mainly because of the injuries and the lack of experience that the steelers had at the position of wide receiver after Antonio Brown.Because of that, it was a good idea to stop to pass 40 times per game because of its reasons and also our RB is a special player.

The other reason is James Harrison and Dupree give a pass rush that the steelers had not in the first 10 weeks.Since Dupree and Harrison are in the starting lineup, this defense is completely different!

16 points per games allowed in their last 9 games.

polamalubeast
01-16-2017, 06:22 PM

teegre
01-20-2017, 07:54 PM