PDA

View Full Version : Jones finally benched

Steeldude
11-16-2016, 03:31 PM
It's probably too late though. Clueless coaching.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/11/steelers-demote-olb-jarvis-jones/

SteelMayhem72
11-16-2016, 03:48 PM
It's probably too late though. Clueless coaching.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/11/steelers-demote-olb-jarvis-jones/
i know...i just saw that...we as fans have been sying for a while that when deebo is on the field we are a better defense period! Tomlin just now seeing that??? smh

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Edman
11-16-2016, 03:49 PM
Solidifies it. Worst draft pick since Alonzo Jackson.

Can't hit 'em all, and Colbert and Tomlin really shot a blank here.

Mojouw
11-16-2016, 04:02 PM
Who is where on the depth chart hardly matters. It is about who is playing the snaps on defense. Here it is through the first 595 defensive snaps in 2016:

Jones - 343/595 - 57.74%
Moats - 325/595 - 54.71%
Harrison - 294/595 - 49.44%
Chickillo - 225/595 - 37.88%

So, if anything, the article should be discussing how Chickillo is going to see a bunch more snaps at the expense of Jones and Moats. Figure at mostHarrison's snaps go up 5%, that means about 30 snaps over the season so far, or about 3-4 plays per game.

To me, this move is far more about Chickfilet getting some run as a pass rusher than anything else. I suspect it still won't go well, but that is another discussion.

But, oh, right, I forgot......

DER! TOMLIN IS DUMB! DEEBO GOOD! JONES BAD!!!! COACHES NEED PINK SLIPS!

st33lersguy
11-16-2016, 05:18 PM
Finally, of course tomlin is always the last person to realize when a player should receive a demotion

steelreserve
11-16-2016, 05:26 PM
Solidifies it. Worst draft pick since Alonzo Jackson.

Ziggy Hood was the worst draft pick since Alonzo Jackson. Actually probably a worse pick than him.

Jones just sort of goes out there and is no help. Hood actually made things worse when he was on the field. And man, was he on the field a lot.

Steeldude
11-16-2016, 05:53 PM
Who is where on the depth chart hardly matters. It is about who is playing the snaps on defense. Here it is through the first 595 defensive snaps in 2016:

Jones - 343/595 - 57.74%
Moats - 325/595 - 54.71%
Harrison - 294/595 - 49.44%
Chickillo - 225/595 - 37.88%

So, if anything, the article should be discussing how Chickillo is going to see a bunch more snaps at the expense of Jones and Moats. Figure at mostHarrison's snaps go up 5%, that means about 30 snaps over the season so far, or about 3-4 plays per game.

To me, this move is far more about Chickfilet getting some run as a pass rusher than anything else. I suspect it still won't go well, but that is another discussion.

But, oh, right, I forgot......

DER! TOMLIN IS DUMB! DEEBO GOOD! JONES BAD!!!! COACHES NEED PINK SLIPS!

Starting does have a positive. You start off cold like everyone else and then build a rhythm. Harrison's snaps need to go up to 80-85%. If anything Harrison needs to be in on all crucial downs. Jones is a benchwarmer at best. Let him provide breathers during non-factor drives or during blowouts.

Yes, Tomlin is dumb. Harrison is good. Jones does suck. Tomlin needs to go.

awe1028
11-16-2016, 05:53 PM
It is about time. Chickillo could be a sleeper. With this offense if the team can generate any kind of pass rush the defense will improve enough to where suddenly the Steelers become a serious threat.

Mojouw
11-16-2016, 05:59 PM
Starting does have a positive. You start off cold like everyone else and then build a rhythm. Harrison's snaps need to go up to 80-85%. If anything Harrison needs to be in on all crucial downs. Jones is a benchwarmer at best. Let him provide breathers during non-factor drives or during blowouts.

Yes, Tomlin is dumb. Harrison is good. Jones does suck. Tomlin needs to go.

In what reality can a 38 year old play 80-85% of the snaps? That isn't even realistic. If Tuitt and Heyward, who are 10-15 years younger than Harrison repeatedly stated that playing that amount of snaps in 2015 sapped their energy and made them heavy-legged through the later portion of the season and the playoffs - what would it do to Harrison's effectiveness.

Seriously, if that is your basis for evaluation of this issue, it is so non-sensical as to be comical. I am just as critical of Jones, and have been from Day 1, as anyone else on here. But to argue that the solution is to break James Harrison by week 8 - well, huh?

I do agree, that they need to seriously dedicate Harrison to crucial situations - unfortunately that has been every defensive series lately...

steelreserve
11-16-2016, 06:06 PM
In what reality can a 38 year old play 80-85% of the snaps? That isn't even realistic. If Tuitt and Heyward, who are 10-15 years younger than Harrison repeatedly stated that playing that amount of snaps in 2015 sapped their energy and made them heavy-legged through the later portion of the season and the playoffs - what would it do to Harrison's effectiveness.

Seriously, if that is your basis for evaluation of this issue, it is so non-sensical as to be comical. I am just as critical of Jones, and have been from Day 1, as anyone else on here. But to argue that the solution is to break James Harrison by week 8 - well, huh?

I do agree, that they need to seriously dedicate Harrison to crucial situations - unfortunately that has been every defensive series lately...

Who knows what Harrison can do. He is an unusual player to say the least. Every year they come out saying his role needs to be more and more reduced because he's getting old, and every year he comes out and wins the majority of the playing time anyway. Maybe even he has his limits, though. But nothing would surprise me.

Having said that, I don't think switching Harrison for Jones is going to be what turns things around for us. Not with all the other issues we have on that side of the ball. It might improve things a little, but if we think that's the answer, we're fooling ourselves.

It's too bad, in theory this was supposed to the be year Harrison could provide that little extra something that could propel us to great things; now he's the workhorse being called upon to help us barely make it through the slog.

teegre
11-16-2016, 06:49 PM
James Harrison shits on Chuck Norris, and wipes his ass with Bill Brasky!!!

Rotorhead
11-16-2016, 06:53 PM
Are you kidding, everytime he is in the game there seems to be a big play, strip sack, sacks, FF stopping the running game etc. I think he will be fine, half the season is over and we have used him less than 50% of the time, that is a pretty easy year for him so far. He has lost a step, but he is still the strongest OLB we have and he still bull rushes most every person he is against with little effort. We probably beat the Cowboys with him playing 80% of the snaps, and certainly that last drive. We need to do something to help that side of the line now that Heyward is out for the season. He is a solid tackler and probably still our best pass rusher. Heyward and Tuitt were worn out last season cause they played 90% of the snaps all last season. He has had his rest. And finally, we have nothing to lose at this point, he is obviously still the better of the two, put him out there to chase that final ring.

86WARD
11-16-2016, 07:06 PM
Jones is the only one taking the fall??

SteelerFanInStl
11-16-2016, 07:30 PM

Mitchell needs to join him.

DesertSteel
11-16-2016, 08:08 PM
Finally, of course tomlin is always the last person to realize when a player should receive a demotion
Conversely, the last one to see that a player needs to be promoted.

WCSteeler
11-16-2016, 09:02 PM

Someone has to be the scapegoat, Lord knows it can't start at the top

Steel Peon
11-16-2016, 10:54 PM
Mitchell needs to join him.

Lol! Can't disagree with that.

Someone has to be the scapegoat, Lord knows it can't start at the top

Yeah, we're fresh outta scapegoats, so it's NEXT MAN UP!

Mojouw
11-16-2016, 11:22 PM
Here is the best part of all of this - no matter what happens it is going to look bad on the coaches.

1. Chickillo looks like the next monster Steelers OLB. Well that would be the coaches fault for not seeing that weeks ago.
2. Chickillo looks totally overmatched and gets manhandled in the run game in particular. That'll be the coaches fault for not seeing that.
3. Chick is so bad that people actually wish for Jones' return. You guessed it! Coaches fault!

In all seriousness, there really is not a good outcome here. Either Chick is good and there needs to be some sort of explanation on why that took 9 weeks to realize OR he is worse than Jones. YIKES!

86WARD
11-17-2016, 04:59 AM
Can't wait to see the "Jones finally cut" thread!

I think it already looks bad on the coaches and GM for almost blowing another draft class. If not for the LeVeon Bell pick and maybe Vince Williams, take him or leave him, that's another blown class...it's not 2008/2009 terrible because Bell is first round quality and Jones is...well...fourth round quality? I think they are still somewhat suffering the effects of those 2008 and 2009 debacles. If they did well in those draft classes, you'd have say 2-4 veterans on the team with 7-8 years experience either in back up roles or starter roles. That makes a big difference.

Say Bruce Davis (ugh...makes me dry heave), Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett worked out to be good to above average players, you fill 3 holes on the team right there, even if they are quality depth players or even Mike Humpal and Ziggy Hood.

WCSteeler
11-17-2016, 08:28 AM
Here is the best part of all of this - no matter what happens it is going to look bad on the coaches.

1. Chickillo looks like the next monster Steelers OLB. Well that would be the coaches fault for not seeing that weeks ago.
2. Chickillo looks totally overmatched and gets manhandled in the run game in particular. That'll be the coaches fault for not seeing that.
3. Chick is so bad that people actually wish for Jones' return. You guessed it! Coaches fault!

In all seriousness, there really is not a good outcome here. Either Chick is good and there needs to be some sort of explanation on why that took 9 weeks to realize OR he is worse than Jones. YIKES!

Chickillo is a guy that gives 100% on every play and plays like he's thankful to have been given a shot and that's very appreciated in a league where guys act like divas'. Hopefully he gives the Steelers what they need at OLB even if he's rotated in and out, you really gotta pull for Chickillo

Devilsdancefloor
11-17-2016, 10:49 AM
the Defense as a whole needs to look in the mirror. Jones takes the fall for being out of position on crybabys last TD but it has been a trend with the guy for a longtime

steelreserve
11-17-2016, 12:00 PM

For #2 and #3, I don't think anyone is going to fault the coaches. Jones hasn't impressed anyone in five years, so benching him to see what else you've got is not a bad move. If the other guy turns out to suck, then he turns out to suck. But at least you tried, instead of running the same tired act out there again and again when it was plain as day that it wasn't working.

SteelerFanInStl
11-17-2016, 12:07 PM
For #2 and #3, I don't think anyone is going to fault the coaches. Jones hasn't impressed anyone in five years, so benching him to see what else you've got is not a bad move. If the other guy turns out to suck, then he turns out to suck. But at least you tried, instead of running the same tired act out there again and again when it was plain as day that it wasn't working.

This has been a big fault of this coaching staff in the past. Let's hope that this begins to change.

Craic
11-17-2016, 12:24 PM
The funniest thing is, he's shown more in the last two or three games than he's shown his whole career bar one playoff game.

Steeldude
11-17-2016, 02:02 PM

Not every 38 year old is the same. A tired and worn out Harrison is still leaps and bounds better than a fresh Jones. Or they could always give 50% to Jones and in turn help the opposing offense march down field with minimal effort.

Tuitt and Heyward are also 300lbs. I would say Harrison is in better shape than both of them. But yes, Harrison would be more tired, but it is his last season and the Steelers need to suck it up if they want to at least make a wild card.

I agree, depending on the Steeler offense, every defensive snap may be crucial.

86WARD
11-17-2016, 04:47 PM
Sounds like Davis will be starting at SS Sunday as well...

SteelerFanInStl
11-17-2016, 06:43 PM
Sounds like Davis will be starting at SS Sunday as well...

Good. I hope that Gilbert starts getting some more playing time also.

lipps83
11-17-2016, 08:21 PM

I also would like to see what Gilbert brings to the table. I like what I see in Burns as well. If Gilbert is up to par, this team may actually have some decent young corners.

That isn't even counting Golson, who should be ready to play by 2022.

BigBen2004
11-18-2016, 12:25 AM
Adam Schefter is reporting that Golson is PROBABLE for 2021.

Fret not. The cavalry is coming.

tube517
11-18-2016, 06:02 AM

They could start by putting him at KR and taking Coates (who still has injured fingerS) out.

But Justin Boykin should be in there by week 15. Don't worry. :chuckle:

Rotorhead
11-18-2016, 05:54 PM
So, if J Gilbert plays and shows that he would be an upgrade, what would you all think about moving Gay to safety, benching Mitchell and our 3 CB's being Gilbert, Burns and Cockrell with Davis and Gay as the safeties. Gay knows the system enough to play the position, he can tackle and he can cover as well. It was just a thought I had while stuck in traffic this morning (it snowed finally and all the transplant pothead californians that moved here for the pot couldnt figure out why there summer tired cars wouldnt go this morning . . .)

teegre
11-18-2016, 10:11 PM
So, if J Gilbert plays and shows that he would be an upgrade, what would you all think about moving Gay to safety, benching Mitchell and our 3 CB's being Gilbert, Burns and Cockrell with Davis and Gay as the safeties. Gay knows the system enough to play the position, he can tackle and he can cover as well. It was just a thought I had while stuck in traffic this morning (it snowed finally and all the transplant pothead californians that moved here for the pot couldnt figure out why there summer tired cars wouldnt go this morning . . .)

I like the "outside the box" thinking.

IMO, I'd keep Gay in the slot. He's very good there.

Mojouw
11-18-2016, 10:37 PM
I like the "outside the box" thinking.

IMO, I'd keep Gay in the slot. He's very good there.

Gilbert might be able to make the switch to FS. He's big and doesn't mind hitting. Cockrell, Burns, Gilbert, and Davis. Young fast and maybe good?

sadly I suspect Gilbert is crazy dumb. Him being too dumb basically explains his entire career.

j-d-s
11-19-2016, 12:31 AM
When I saw the thread title I hoped they got rid of Landry Jones for good.

Craic
11-19-2016, 01:48 AM
This has been a big fault of this coaching staff in the past. Let's hope that this begins to change.

No, it hasn't. In fact, it's been the opposite. Tomlin's been too quick with the hook too many times, and its cost us. Remember Sweed? Got pulled every time he dropped the ball. Tomlin never allowed him to work through his issues and IMO, it broke his confidence. How about that 2012 Cleveland game where Tomlin pulled every running back after a fumble, so no RB was able to hit a rhythm or work through issues. We ended up with 5 RB fumbles that game, cycling all the way through our RB rotation (including Rainey as 4th).

Personally, I'm glad to see Tomlin has grown as a coach and now, won't pull players immediately after they make a couple of mistakes. On the other hand, three years is more than enough time for a player to show what they have (Jones has lost about a year to injury, so I'm not counting that time).

cold-hard-steel
11-19-2016, 08:50 AM
One Jones down , one to go .

SteelerFanInStl
11-19-2016, 05:53 PM
No, it hasn't. In fact, it's been the opposite. Tomlin's been too quick with the hook too many times, and its cost us. Remember Sweed? Got pulled every time he dropped the ball. Tomlin never allowed him to work through his issues and IMO, it broke his confidence. How about that 2012 Cleveland game where Tomlin pulled every running back after a fumble, so no RB was able to hit a rhythm or work through issues. We ended up with 5 RB fumbles that game, cycling all the way through our RB rotation (including Rainey as 4th).

Personally, I'm glad to see Tomlin has grown as a coach and now, won't pull players immediately after they make a couple of mistakes. On the other hand, three years is more than enough time for a player to show what they have (Jones has lost about a year to injury, so I'm not counting that time).

Yes, it has. Far more often Tomlin has stuck with under-performing players instead of giving anyone else a chance. Jones has been shoved into the starting lineup since his rookie year and he's kept the starting job, when he's been healthy enough to play, despite sucking most of the time. Players like Lance Moore and Boykin came to this team with NFL experience but had to sit while other players sucked game after game.

Craic
11-19-2016, 11:23 PM
Yes, it has. Far more often Tomlin has stuck with under-performing players instead of giving anyone else a chance. Jones has been shoved into the starting lineup since his rookie year and he's kept the starting job, when he's been healthy enough to play, despite sucking most of the time. Players like Lance Moore and Boykin came to this team with NFL experience but had to sit while other players sucked game after game.

Boykin? Really? You're going with Boykin? He's out of the league at this point, only one year after being with us. There's a reason he sat. And, before someone says, yeah, but B-B-B-Blake. Blake is employed as an NFL CB. Boykin isn't.

Lance Moore. Wow, you mean that receiver that's now retired only one year after being with the Steelers? The same one who went to the Lions and after catching twice as many balls, only scored 2 more TDs and lowered his YPC and YPG average? That Moore? The same one sitting on a roster with Antonio Brown, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Markus Wheaton (who was better at the time), and a young stud in Martavis Bryant who caught fire half way through the season? Who did you want benched for Moore?

Mojouw
11-19-2016, 11:29 PM
Boykin? Really? You're going with Boykin? He's out of the league at this point, only one year after being with us. There's a reason he sat. And, before someone says, yeah, but B-B-B-Blake. Blake is employed as an NFL CB. Boykin isn't.

Lance Moore. Wow, you mean that receiver that's now retired only one year after being with the Steelers? The same one who went to the Lions and after catching twice as many balls, only scored 2 more TDs and lowered his YPC and YPG average? That Moore? The same one sitting on a roster with Antonio Brown, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Markus Wheaton (who was better at the time), and a young stud in Martavis Bryant who caught fire half way through the season? Who did you want benched for Moore?

Moore either couldn't or wouldn't block. That is why he was in the "doghouse". Same reason that Rogers found himself there this year. For an offense that features the "bubble/tunnel screen" to the RB, AB, and whoever runs as the #2 wideout to a great degree, the rest of the skill position players have to block on the edge. Moore didn't really do that. Justin Brown did. I know that JB stunk as a WR, but in this offense that wasn't the point.

Moore, unlike DHB, was unwilling to change his game to fit a new scheme and philosophy - so he got run out of town. How is this still surprising?

SteelerFanInStl
11-20-2016, 08:08 AM

That has nothing to do with why they weren't playing while they were on the Steelers. When Boykin finally got in, he played better than Blake. That's a fact. What has happened with him since then is because of an injury and you know that.

You also know what I'm talking about with Moore. He sat while Justin Brown was getting playing time. We signed him in FA only to sit him on the bench.

How about Cam Thomas? Why was Cam Thomas playing so much last year. Anyone on the roster would've been a better option.

Add Landry Jones to that list also. He has sucked every chance that he's gotten to play but yet the team hasn't done anything to try to replace him until they grabbed Mettenberger.

This will be my only reply to you because, like always, you're here just to try to be confrontational and tell people that they're wrong. This is a forum for discussion of OPINIONS. Yours is not more important, or correct, than anyone else's.

Mojouw
11-20-2016, 10:30 AM
No one will ever really understand what went on with Boykin. I suspect he was either dumb in the meeting room or a locker room cancer. Eagles couldn't wait to get rid of him despite good play. Steelers didn't even want to play him despite good play when he was on the field. If I remember correctly hr was talked about as a camp cut until he got hurt. What's my point? Something weird follows Boykin around.

See my reasons above for why Moore didn't play. He didn't or wouldn't block. Not complicated or strange. Not sure that I agree with it, but there is no strange conspiracy of secret unfathomable doghouses.

Cam Thomas played because there was no one else on the roster that could play DT or DE. I think we can argue that he never should've been signed, but the Rams signed him after what he did here last year. There are only do many people that large and athletic to go around. Cam Thomas will have an NFL job almost as long as he wants one.

While I agree that Landry Jones is not good, to say they have done nothing to replace him isn't exactly true. Vick, Gradkowski, and Mettenberger have all been brought in or were already here to provide Landry Jones insurance. They also rooted around pretty heavily in the undrafted QB bargain bin to try and find somebody this off season.

I don't really think anyone is trying to stifle anyone elses opinion. I do feel that some of us are strongly arguing for the use of some facts as the groundwork for thrashing out various opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tube517
12-11-2016, 05:14 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/12/tomlin-no-longer-wants-discuss-steelers-olb-rotation/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Mojouw
12-11-2016, 05:25 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/12/tomlin-no-longer-wants-discuss-steelers-olb-rotation/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I have no idea what they are going to do when Harrison retires. But here is what I hope shakes out:

1. Dupree proves the rest of this season that he can marry his athletic potential to pass-rush production at the NFL level.
2. Moats and Chickilio are retained for depth. Both have proven they can play well enough to not get you crushed at the NFL level.
3. Pay the cost and move up in the draft to get a "plug and play" rookie OLB.
4. Re-sign Jones to be depth. He could fill in at OLB and ILB. Gives you a year to draft Shazier a running mate if they let Timmons walk. I know that Vince Williams exists, but I really think that after 16 games of Larry Foote 2.0 the Steelers will be talking about upgrading to someone more dynamic...

86WARD
12-11-2016, 09:24 PM
I'd like to see them spend for a solid free agent.

teegre
12-11-2016, 09:33 PM
I have no idea what they are going to do when Harrison retires. But here is what I hope shakes out:

1. Dupree proves the rest of this season that he can marry his athletic potential to pass-rush production at the NFL level.
2. Moats and Chickilio are retained for depth. Both have proven they can play well enough to not get you crushed at the NFL level.
4. Re-sign Jones to be depth. He could fill in at OLB and ILB. Gives you a year to draft Shazier a running mate if they let Timmons walk. I know that Vince Williams exists, but I really think that after 16 games of Larry Foote 2.0 the Steelers will be talking about upgrading to someone more dynamic...

This is the year to draft an OLB. There are literally TEN who could go in R1.

Psycho Ward 86
12-11-2016, 10:06 PM

not everyone on the team needs to be a super star. Really dont think theres much if any drop off between Williams and Timmons unless Timmons goes on to have a yesteryear renaissance. with our big boost in cap space i say we make one "bigger" signing. i think if we backload bell, brown and tuitt's incoming contracts we'll be fine. were going year to year with Ben as far as im concerned. My wishlist in of good to decent OLB options that would make an instant impact for us:

Melvin Ingram is tops for me. Some injury concerns, but he seems fine in recent years health wise. Could be an enormous boon.

Nick Perry finally has his coming out party. Not a guy you want to be the focal point of your pass rush but he's really rounded out his game and packer fans would agree. Well above average starter.

Sam Acho is another well rounded but underutilized guy. Probably seems most like a steelers signing in my opinion. I feel the same way about Alex Okafor. Both ex-cardinals, maybe we'll be the ones doing the poaching this time?

If were looking for a low risk high reward guy, Junior Galette could be interesting. 2 torn achilles in consecutive years but he had consecutive double digit sack seasons prior and he was probably one of the most underrated pass rush nightmares in the league for a short time. Then there's also the domestic abuse thing. Gotta figure his price tag is next to nothing, but if we get anything out of him...

Steeldude
12-11-2016, 11:22 PM

No to Jones. Tomlin will start him again next season.

Dupree is still an unknown. I feel the Steelers will need to draft an OLB in the first round.

Mojouw
12-11-2016, 11:38 PM
not everyone on the team needs to be a super star. Really dont think theres much if any drop off between Williams and Timmons unless Timmons goes on to have a yesteryear renaissance. with our big boost in cap space i say we make one "bigger" signing. i think if we backload bell, brown and tuitt's incoming contracts we'll be fine. were going year to year with Ben as far as im concerned. My wishlist in of good to decent OLB options that would make an instant impact for us:

Melvin Ingram is tops for me. Some injury concerns, but he seems fine in recent years health wise. Could be an enormous boon.

Nick Perry finally has his coming out party. Not a guy you want to be the focal point of your pass rush but he's really rounded out his game and packer fans would agree. Well above average starter.

Sam Acho is another well rounded but underutilized guy. Probably seems most like a steelers signing in my opinion. I feel the same way about Alex Okafor. Both ex-cardinals, maybe we'll be the ones doing the poaching this time?

If were looking for a low risk high reward guy, Junior Galette could be interesting. 2 torn achilles in consecutive years but he had consecutive double digit sack seasons prior and he was probably one of the most underrated pass rush nightmares in the league for a short time. Then there's also the domestic abuse thing. Gotta figure his price tag is next to nothing, but if we get anything out of him...

I agree that not everyone has to be a super-star. But look at the collection of athletes that this team can run out there. What do they all have in common? They are just about all young and cheap. Whether it is Timmons or Williams at ILB next year, need to get another player in the pipeline so that you can either stop paying Timmons or upgrade AND save money on Williams. Does it need to be a first round pick? Of course not. In fact, I just assumed it was going to be Freeney.

I'm thinking about the defense kinda like the recent run at WR. 1 or 2 guys you pay through that 2nd contract to build around (Ward, AB) and then a bunch of highly athletic lottery picks that you run through the system until you can't afford them anymore. But that doesn't matter because you have 3 guys behind them on the depth chart who should be able to step right in.

That was the problem with the post 2010 defense in my opinion. Colbert and company let it get stale. A couple of guys didn't pan out and a they never had an organizational philosophy to push vets off the roster. So once guys got old, there wasn't a ton behind them. Although to be fair, if Shamarko, Cortez Allen, and Woodley would have all lived up to their billing, I suspect none of us would be having this conversation as we would be to busy planning for Roethlisberger's 4th SB. Long story short, they let the well go dry.

You are starting to bring me around on Perry. Problem is, he is going to get paid by someone as he finally put the sack #'s up this year and he has always been really good against the run. Major drawback, is that he only did it for one year and he has never played a full season since entering the league. Weird fact.

Psycho Ward 86
12-12-2016, 12:31 AM
I agree that not everyone has to be a super-star. But look at the collection of athletes that this team can run out there. What do they all have in common? They are just about all young and cheap. Whether it is Timmons or Williams at ILB next year, need to get another player in the pipeline so that you can either stop paying Timmons or upgrade AND save money on Williams. Does it need to be a first round pick? Of course not. In fact, I just assumed it was going to be Freeney.

I'm thinking about the defense kinda like the recent run at WR. 1 or 2 guys you pay through that 2nd contract to build around (Ward, AB) and then a bunch of highly athletic lottery picks that you run through the system until you can't afford them anymore. But that doesn't matter because you have 3 guys behind them on the depth chart who should be able to step right in.

That was the problem with the post 2010 defense in my opinion. Colbert and company let it get stale. A couple of guys didn't pan out and a they never had an organizational philosophy to push vets off the roster. So once guys got old, there wasn't a ton behind them. Although to be fair, if Shamarko, Cortez Allen, and Woodley would have all lived up to their billing, I suspect none of us would be having this conversation as we would be to busy planning for Roethlisberger's 4th SB. Long story short, they let the well go dry.

You are starting to bring me around on Perry. Problem is, he is going to get paid by someone as he finally put the sack #'s up this year and he has always been really good against the run. Major drawback, is that he only did it for one year and he has never played a full season since entering the league. Weird fact.

Great points!

Small clause on Freeney. Assuming you literally meant Freeney (and not just any random athletic lottery pick), he's actually on the saints practice squad now

And out of the UFA's i pointed out, i highly recommend people look into sam acho and alex okafor. i honestly think they have classic steeler signings written all over them and by "classic steeler signing," i dont mean the dirt cheap guys who help the team in their bit roles (mewelde moore, jerricho cotchery) im talking about the fairly to really cheap guys that have a pretty booming impact (deangelo williams, ryan clark, james farrior). those examples are way too extreme but you probably get what i mean