PDA

View Full Version : Winning/losing a game versus winning/losing habits

steelreserve
11-14-2016, 11:46 AM
Yes, we lost a game. I realize it's only one game, that tried and tested mantra of the folks who will shut you down as a spoiled Steelers fan the moment you express concern. I'm not upset that we lost one game, although it sucks. Losses happen. Sometimes even 4 losses in a row happen, although not usually if you are solid all around as a team.

I'm upset that we keep having the same problems over and over. Not over the course of a few games, but over the course of years. There is a distinct difference between the "omg sky is falling - cat picture!", the "come on, it was ONE game" kind of complaining, and a long-term trend. For example -

Nearsighted focus: "Fuck! The defense blew another lead!"
Long-term problem: We lack any kind of killer instinct; I don't think we even know what a killer instinct IS, and haven't since about 2010.

Nearsighted focus: "Fuck! Another bad game against a sub-.500 team!"
Long-term problem: For 5+ years, despite being talented, we've been all over the place and never know which team is going to show up, against a good opponent or a bad one. You cannot be an effective contender that way.

Nearsighted focus: "Fuck! We were THIS close to making the playoffs/advancing in the playoffs, if only a couple random things hadn't gone against us! We have a good team, people should stop complaining!"
Long-term problem: Same as above.

Nearsighted focus: "Fuck! Nice game plan, (Butler, Haley, Tomlin, circle one)! Fire (Butler, Haley, Tomlin, circle one)!"
Long-term problem: Not having (anyone who can generate pressure, any receivers other than Brown who can get open, circle one).

Nearsighted focus: "Fuck! We have no (pass rush, coverage, receiving depth, circle one)! If only ____ wasn't injured!"
Long-term problem: Being in a position where an injury to a single unproven player could even possibly ruin your whole game, and even then, not knowing whether he would've helped.

Nearsighted focus: "Fuck! Our defense is young and inexperienced!"
Long-term problem: For 5+ years, taking the bait on defenders with the tagline of "AMAZING raw talent! The best we've seen in years! Needs refinement to be an effective pro!"

Nearsighted focus: "Fuck! Stupid risk-taking at bad times, and terrible clock management again!"
Long-term problem: Stupid risk-taking at bad times, and terrible clock management again.

So ... yeah. While this team retains the potential to make the playoffs or do as well as it wants - this season and probably any other season for a few years in either direction - I have no expectations. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. They're just floating.

Yes, it's good that they haven't collapsed into a 4-12 shitshow like certain other teams, but they certainly don't look like they're on a focused march toward a Super Bowl title either. You don't win championships by being pretty good and sitting around hoping you win one. But I don't see this franchise doing a hell of a lot more than that. Maybe I'm wrong and they'll rattle off 10 wins in a row next. I wouldn't bet on it, though. Very frustrating.

fansince'76
11-14-2016, 12:00 PM
"omg sky is falling - cat picture!"

http://harry.enzoverder.be/cats/sky-is-falling.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist. :chuckle:

Seriously though, I think the Rooneys need to have a "come to Jesus" meeting with this coaching staff. And who knows? Maybe they already have.

Born2Steel
11-14-2016, 12:42 PM
Only problem with this thread is, although you set it up as being a different perspective, it's still the same thing as about 15 other threads. Enough already. The team isn't playing well 'as a team'. Got it.

steelreserve
11-14-2016, 02:00 PM
Only problem with this thread is, although you set it up as being a different perspective, it's still the same thing as about 15 other threads. Enough already. The team isn't playing well 'as a team'. Got it.

Long-term mistakes with the management of the team was the point. And failing to learn from those mistakes.

No, this is not a "fire Tomlin today" thread, that won't help anything. We have more personnel and matchup problems than it looked like 6 months ago, and a mentality problem that isn't helping things either. Seemed like it was shaping up to be a good season, but we're at 4-5 and we earned that record. And it's not all because of individual poor performances or "failing to jell," it's something beyond that.

GBMelBlount
11-14-2016, 05:30 PM
They're just floating.

Can you be more specific?

I am leanings towards 4.

http://mamanatural-mamanatural.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/Bristol-Stool-Chart-What-Your-Poop-Says-About-Your-Health-Mama-Natural-1024x576.jpg