PDA

View Full Version : I Remain Hopeful

Mojouw
11-14-2016, 10:55 AM
I am still stubbornly hopeful for this season and remain really excited for 2017. Why?

1. The Ravens are two games better with 3 wins against the Browns and Jags. Think they can't drop 2-4 more games? They already lost to the Redskins and the Jets.

2. The "core" of the secondary (we can debate whether or not that is a good thing another time) has the following games of starting experience:

Cockerell - 15
Golden - 10
Burns - 3
Davis - 2

Pretty easy to see how and why all of those players do "stupid" things? It is still their rookie year. Weird.

The fact that Burns is being targeted by the opposition (seriously last 3 games that was almost the total plan in the passing game - throw at #25) and it isn't the shit-show it was when that plan was "target Blake" - I will take it.

3. Shazier makes a difference in this defense. So does Davis to a much lesser extent. Right now, those 2 are the only ones I see making plays behind the LOS. IF they both stay health and on the field, I think they can comprise quite the duo right down the middle of the defense.

4. Dupree. Dude simply stepping on the field and lining up SHOULD give Butler a bit to work with schematically. Provides the defense with an actual edge rusher that the offense has to bother to account for. Now, imagine if he is actually good...

5. Offense - well this is a dead horse at this point. If everyone is healthy and Ben plays well - then they can move the ball on anyone in the NFL.

6, Mitchell is employed by another franchise as soon as this upcoming off-season. We are now seeing why Mitchell was allowed to depart 2 franchises as a FA. He only really plays well when there is a solid to really good pass rush in front of him. Other than that, he is a mistake prone "meh" at safety. Oakland and Carolina knew it and now Pittsburgh knows it.

Bluecoat96
11-14-2016, 01:22 PM
If they ship off Mitchell, what then? Do you think we could be in play for someone like a Jabrill Peppers?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Moose
11-14-2016, 01:44 PM
You thinking of a 7 game win streak ? LOL

teegre
11-14-2016, 02:04 PM
If they ship off Mitchell, what then? Do you think we could be in play for someone like a Jabrill Peppers?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'd move Golden to FS, and play Davis at SS.

teegre
11-14-2016, 02:13 PM
You thinking of a 7 game win streak ? LOL

11 games

(7 in the regular season, followed by 4 in the playoffs)

Mojouw
11-14-2016, 02:19 PM

I actually see if I can shift Davis in to a FS since his CB days in college might give him better ball skills and I have Golden play SS. Not that the distinction really matters between the two in the NFL these days anyway!

To answer the other questions, I am not sure if all this "hope" really pays out until 2017. Just too few snaps played at critical positions all over the roster.

teegre
11-14-2016, 02:23 PM
I actually see if I can shift Davis in to a FS since his CB days in college might give him better ball skills and I have Golden play SS. Not that the distinction really matters between the two in the NFL these days anyway!

To answer the other questions, I am not sure if all this "hope" really pays out until 2017. Just too few snaps played at critical positions all over the roster.

The point that you made that everyone is overlooking is that Burns was targeted almost exclusively. And, he was covering one of the ten best WRs in the NFL. Yes, Burns have up that 50-yard TD, but aside from that one gaff, he played very well.

That kid gets better every game.

Likewise, he got better with each subsequent game in college. By year three, we might have the best CB this team has had since Rod Woodson.

Mojouw
11-14-2016, 02:28 PM
The point that you made that everyone is overlooking is that Burns was targeted almost exclusively. And, he was covering one of the ten best WRs in the NFL. Yes, Burns have up that 50-yard TD, but aside from that one gaff, he played very well.

That kid gets better every game.

Likewise, he got better with each subsequent game in college. By year three, we might have the best CB this team has had since Rod Woodson.

Bryant's two best receptions, one in the first half and the TD, were both blatant push offs. Refs were crap at PI all day. But I agree - imagine what Burns can do when he actually knows how to play his position.

Mojouw
11-14-2016, 03:03 PM
Cockrell, Burns, Golden, Davis, Tuitt, Eli Rogers, Coates, James, Grimble starts between all of them - 85. 27 of those are from Tuitt. Everyone else on that list has played less than 16 games as a starter (and all the practice reps that go with it) in the NFL.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/09/average-age-starters-steelers-27/

Bottom line, take out about 4 old guys across the roster, and this team is really young, and really inexperienced. The bad - they do stupid stuff. The good - many (this board and national media) thought they were the class of the AFC. Now take that team and make it less stupid --- starts to be less depressing.

lotas
11-14-2016, 03:50 PM
I too remain hopeful for the season, I think this team just needs to gel and take their energy and discipline to the next level for one or two games and they can carry that forward. They've flashed that cohesive energy at times this season but it has not really been there consistently. The talent is obviously there on offense, and it's even there on defense this year as well, I'm confident they can get it rolling for the second half of the season. I think Dupree is going to light the defense on fire, and for some reason it's taken us to this point in the season to make good use of them, but: Eli Rogers and Jesse James across the middle are the answer to the Steelers offense. Using them will free up AB and LB, and it's especially helpful for first downs and red zone offense.

This team has failed thus far this season not because they can't win, simply because they haven't. They have not done the things they need to to win games, but that's a long shot from saying they don't have the pieces in place to make that happen. They do, they just need cohesive energy. Cleveland is a perfect foe to play to build some confidence and energy, sorry Brownies!

DesertSteel
11-14-2016, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't call it hopeful, but I also haven't given up on the season. The AFCN is winnable at 9-7.

SteelerFanInStl
11-14-2016, 05:04 PM
Bryant's two best receptions, one in the first half and the TD, were both blatant push offs. Refs were crap at PI all day. But I agree - imagine what Burns can do when he actually knows how to play his position.

Yep, they certainly were. Dez pushed off twice on that 50 yd TD. Officials are shit.

- - - Updated - - -

I like that better than Mitchell and add in Dangerfield, who has shown some promise. Mitchell just needs to go.

Rotorhead
11-14-2016, 05:36 PM
I will take the Dallas performance for the rest of the games this season, if we had that for the first 8 games we might have 2 losses at this point. Dallas is a very good team playing hot right now and we still almost had that game. This what I expected from our team all season, put up 30+ pts and hope our defense can hold the other team to under 30. This week our def did not. But we will in out in the AFCN with that same effort, and have a good chance of winning out the season if we can duplicate that effort for the rest of the season (we have the Giants and Bills outside divisional games). The biggest question is can we put out that effort week in and week out for the rest of the season?

Born2Steel
11-14-2016, 05:42 PM
I will take the Dallas performance for the rest of the games this season, if we had that for the first 8 games we might have 2 losses at this point. Dallas is a very good team playing hot right now and we still almost had that game. This what I expected from our team all season, put up 30+ pts and hope our defense can hold the other team to under 30. This week our def did not. But we will in out in the AFCN with that same effort, and have a good chance of winning out the season if we can duplicate that effort for the rest of the season (we have the Giants and Bills outside divisional games). The biggest question is can we put out that effort week in and week out for the rest of the season?

Agreed. I'm not a coulda/shoulda guy, but that game was winnable. We simply ran out of time. Great game, just came up short. Hope to meet up with the Cowboys again this season.

86WARD
11-14-2016, 06:32 PM
I saw a comment on Twitter that said that Jesse James is the only player exceeding preseason expectations. I tend to agree...lol.

st33lersguy
11-14-2016, 07:38 PM

Golden is a backup level safety, better than Mitchell and good for depth in spot duty, but as a starter, an upgrade would be better

teegre
11-14-2016, 08:37 PM

True.
I hate to be the guy to chastise the refs... but, I'm going to call out the refs. Bryant got the calls (most star WRs do), and I get why Coates did not get the call (he's not a star; so, no PI). But, they mugged AB twice. All I want is the refs to be consistent.

teegre
11-14-2016, 08:59 PM
I like that better than Mitchell and add in Dangerfield, who has shown some promise. Mitchell just needs to go.

I could not agree more.

Mitchell almost always goes for the big hit... and, not only does he not wrap up, he often completely whiffs. In this game alone, Sean Davis wrapped up and stopped more third-downs that Mitchell has in his entire Pittsburgh career.

teegre
11-14-2016, 09:18 PM
Golden is a backup level safety, better than Mitchell and good for depth in spot duty, but as a starter, an upgrade would be better

Not to sound like a broken record, but... Déone Bucannon would be a huge upgrade at SS.

Moving on/looking ahead, the priorities on defense (IMO) are as follows:
1) pass rusher
2) a rotational DE
3) FS (or, SS)

So, Yes, I would like someone at safety who is better than Golden/Dangerfield, but that is (my) third priority.

teegre
11-14-2016, 09:28 PM
Since we're talking about safeties... a kid who was lights out two seasons ago, and was a lock for R1 last year (until he got injured) is Tony Conner, Ole Miss.

He'll likely drop to R2 (if not R3).

Craic
11-14-2016, 09:37 PM
True.
I hate to be the guy to chastise the refs... but, I'm going to call out the refs. Bryant got the calls (most star WRs do), and I get why Coates did not get the call (he's not a star; so, no PI). But, they mugged AB twice. All I want is the refs to be consistent.

I seldom chastise the refs, but I was left dumbfounded by more than one call. Heck, there were even plays where I watched Dallas's receivers get mugged and said, "there's a penalty." Sure enough, no call. Refs definitely had a bad day.

teegre
11-14-2016, 11:09 PM
More from Wouldacouldashoulda Land...

Watching Landon Collins tonight, seemingly blossom right in front of my eyes, takes me back to Tomlin desperately trying to trade up to 33 to get the Alabama safety. (The Steelers offered a R4 pick, but the NYGiants wanted a R3.)

zulater
11-15-2016, 04:56 AM
I saw a comment on Twitter that said that Jesse James is the only player exceeding preseason expectations. I tend to agree...lol.

I would say he's playing to my expectations as a receiver. As an in line blocker I had hoped he would be further along at this point. He's proven he's an NFL player. But it looks as though he'll never be more than ordinary.

Jordan Berry is the only player on the Steelers I see as playing above expectations, well actually I could add Ramon Foster and James Harrison to that short list too. That's not good when your punter and your not All Pro guard and the oldest guy on your roster are the only guys on the roster who are exceeding expectations!
:doh: Explains a lot when you think of it in those terms.

Rotorhead
11-15-2016, 12:38 PM
Looking back at that game there were a few things that could have changed the outcome, the TD pass that Grimble (I think) dove for when Outlaw had it would have changed the game, FG's instead of the 2pts (which I will not complain about), playing JH more than JJ would have probably resulted in a W also. As I said above though, if we give that effort for the rest of the season we could easily win out. So I remain hopeful also.

SteelMayhem72
11-15-2016, 12:48 PM
well cam heyward out for the season! I wish the season was over

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

st33lersguy
11-15-2016, 01:11 PM
No Cam makes it that much more difficult to rally to win the division.

SteelMayhem72
11-15-2016, 01:12 PM
No Cam makes it that much more difficult to rally to win the division.
this team is always snakebit

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

steel striker
11-16-2016, 10:43 AM
As bad as the AFC north is they still could win the North but, the offense has to carry the load. Ben has to play lights out and, we all know he do everything he can with Brown & Bell.

Craic
11-16-2016, 01:16 PM
I would say he's playing to my expectations as a receiver. As an in line blocker I had hoped he would be further along at this point. He's proven he's an NFL player. But it looks as though he'll never be more than ordinary.

Jordan Berry is the only player on the Steelers I see as playing above expectations, well actually I could add Ramon Foster and James Harrison to that short list too. That's not good when your punter and your not All Pro guard and the oldest guy on your roster are the only guys on the roster who are exceeding expectations!
:doh: Explains a lot when you think of it in those terms.

I'd also put Burns in there as playing above expectations . . . but that is because I have very low expectations of a low first-round rookie CB starting on the outside, especially as he goes up against some of the best receivers other teams have to offer. Is he playing lights-out? Absolutely not. But I'm definitely happy with his progression.

Mojouw
11-16-2016, 01:31 PM
I'd also put Burns in there as playing above expectations . . . but that is because I have very low expectations of a low first-round rookie CB starting on the outside, especially as he goes up against some of the best receivers other teams have to offer. Is he playing lights-out? Absolutely not. But I'm definitely happy with his progression.

I would agree with that. Burns is playing no better or worse than some very highly touted prospects from this draft class and the previous draft class. I actually think that Davis is exceeding my expectations as well. That may be because I had almost no expectations for a hybrid player being yo-yo'd between positions/roles as a rookie - but still and exciting talent.

teegre
11-16-2016, 02:06 PM
As bad as the AFC north is they still could win the North but, the offense has to carry the load. Ben has to play lights out and, we all know he do everything he can with Brown & Bell.

AMEN!!!

As long as BB is able to play (uninjured), the Steelers have a shot at winning everything.

DesertSteel
11-16-2016, 02:20 PM
Now that all our expectations have come down to reality (from the super bowl or bust mentality), maybe we can fit into the underdog role quite nicely and go on a run....

teegre
11-16-2016, 02:26 PM
Now that all our expectations have come down to reality (from the super bowl or bust mentality), maybe we can fit into the underdog role quite nicely and go on a run....

I like how you think.

RunNGun
11-17-2016, 12:31 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Bud is the determining factor to our season. He HAS to come in and make an impact or our defense is going to keep getting torched. I'm really excited to see him back. When is he back btw?