PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger calls out Steelers on discipline, accountability

stillers4me
11-14-2016, 05:27 AM
Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/5536/ben-roethlisberger) did not mince words after the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers)' fourth straight loss, telling reporters multiple times that the team needs more accountability and discipline.

The Steelers (4-5) lost 35-30 (http://www.espn.com/nfl/recap?gameId=400874538) to the Dallas Cowboys (http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/dal/dallas-cowboys) thanks to two Ezekiel Elliott (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3051392/ezekiel-elliott) touchdown runs in the final two minutes when he went untouched up the middle.

The scores negated a brilliant 75-yard scoring drive orchestrated by Roethlisberger, whose 15-yard touchdown toss to Antonio Brown (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/13934/antonio-brown) off a Dan Marino-like fake spike with 42 seconds left gave the Steelers a 30-29 lead.......

read more @ http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18044058/ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-undisciplined-not-accountable

Count Steeler
11-14-2016, 05:34 AM
The Ben window is closed.

Defense wins championships. It is not only a cliche, but it is true. Our defense is MILES away from being considered contender worthy.

Edman
11-14-2016, 07:47 AM
It's time to end the experiment. The Steelers flirted with being the idea of being the new Greatest Show on turf and put up big numbers on Offense and think that will be enough to win. Well, it isn't.

It just ain't happening. Our Offense is too inconsistent and the Defense is too bad.

Defense wins Championships. Not even Joe Montana or Tom Brady could win with a shitty Defense. Dan Marino didn't win jack with perpetually mediocre Defense.

The Steelers will never contend for anything again until their Defense is fixed. That's the facts.

AtlantaDan
11-14-2016, 08:13 AM
It's time to end the experiment. The Steelers flirted with being the idea of being the new Greatest Show on turf and put up big numbers on Offense and think that will be enough to win. Well, it isn't.

It just ain't happening. Our Defense is too bad.

Defense wins Championships. Not even Joe Montana or Tom Brady could win with a shitty Defense. Dan Marino didn't win jack with perpetually mediocre Defense.

The Steelers will never contend for anything again until their Defense is fixed. That's the facts.

Agreed - even Saint Tom usually loses when the other team scores 31 points like last night

But what is scary is that it is not as if they have ignored the defense in the draft and kept loading up on top picks for the offense

In the last 4 drafts 7 of the 8 top picks and all first round picks have been defense

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/draft.htm

AJR II forced out Arians after the 2011 season although Tomlin wanted Arians to stay (and that was after making the playoffs) - given preseason expectations Butler may get the same treatment

The last defender drafted who is a consistent top shelf player was Heyward in 2011

Edman
11-14-2016, 08:47 AM
Agreed - even Saint Tom usually loses when the other team scores 31 points like last night

But what is scary is that it is not as if they have ignored the defense in the draft and kept loading up on top picks for the offense

In the last 4 drafts 7 of the 8 top picks and all first round picks have been defense

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/draft.htm

AJR II forced out Arians after the 2011 season although Tomlin wanted Arians to stay (and that was after making the playoffs) - given preseason expectations Butler may get the same treatment

The last defender drafted who is a consistent top shelf player was Heyward in 2011

It starts with ousting the old regime. Lebeau's Defense is obsolete for years and it is time for Butler to go if he cannot add new wrinkles to it. He had a decent start, but now it appears he's lost it as well.

Get new blood in here and start drafting Defense. Ship out Lawrence Timmons and Jarvis Jones.

I don't care about "Ben's Window" anymore. The window is shut. If it ends up taking 25 years like before, so be it. But things will NOT improve until the Defense is a top unit again. We'll keep seeing more seasons like this.

It's just the way it is.

- - - Updated - - -

It also find it funny that we can win a Super Bowl with the "Worst Offensive Line of all time" (TM), but with this unit of "all-pros" we can barely scrape out a division title and a playoff.

GBMelBlount
11-14-2016, 09:19 AM
As Mojouw once said, last year Butler made chicken salad out of chicken shit last year and personally I think this defense has more talent.

Having several new / rookie starters on defense it could take 1/2 season or longer for them to learn how to play together.

...and remembering how bad Polamalu looked lost his first year tells me we probably won't know what we really have on defense until later this year or next.

On a side note I am glad Ben is calling out the team, but I think Ben's lack of intensity when we play crappy teams is one of the main reasons we lose to bad teams....and that is just as bad imo.

Shoes
11-14-2016, 09:52 AM
You can't turn discipline on and off like a switch. If you do, all you'll have is inconsistency and splash plays.

The Bark
11-14-2016, 10:45 AM
I'm wondering how much the McCullers/Hargrove experiment is playing into this as the middle seems to be the weak spot at this point. Hargrove might have a lot of upside, but I'm not sure how ready he was and McCullers has always been a project that, at this point, doesn't seem to be working out as one would have hoped, especially in light of letting McClendon walk (which seemed reasonable at the time, but he's now having the best year of career with the Jets).

Born2Steel
11-14-2016, 10:59 AM
I'm wondering how much the McCullers/Hargrove experiment is playing into this as the middle seems to be the weak spot at this point. Hargrove might have a lot of upside, but I'm not sure how ready he was and McCullers has always been a project that, at this point, doesn't seem to be working out as one would have hoped, especially in light of letting McClendon walk (which seemed reasonable at the time, but he's now having the best year of career with the Jets).

Exactly. On all points.

Steel Peon
11-14-2016, 12:39 PM
Not even Joe Montana or Tom Brady could win with a shitty Defense.

And quite honestly, Lady Boy Brady's team shouldn't have even won that last championship, and has only Pete Carroll's Toddhaleyian brain fart to thank for it.

Born2Steel
11-14-2016, 12:44 PM
The Ben window is closed.

Defense wins championships. It is not only a cliche, but it is true. Our defense is MILES away from being considered contender worthy.

So nobody is claiming 'THE SKY IS FALLING'? Hmmmm seems exactly like that from over here.

AtlantaDan
11-14-2016, 12:52 PM
So nobody is claiming 'THE SKY IS FALLING'? Hmmmm seems exactly like that from over here.

Nobody is claiming the sky is falling because part of good grammar is knowing when to use past tense, current tense and future tense

The sky is falling would be an improper use of current tense

The grammatically correct statement to describe the 2016 Steelers preseason Super Bowl hopes is to use past tense - the sky has fallen :rolleyes:

Born2Steel
11-14-2016, 12:56 PM
Nobody is claiming the sky is falling because part of good grammar is knowing when to use past tense, current tense and future tense

The sky is falling would be an improper use of current tense

The grammatically correct statement to describe the 2016 Steelers preseason Super Bowl hopes is to use past tense - the sky has fallen :rolleyes:

Then see you next season. What are you sticking around for?

AtlantaDan
11-14-2016, 12:58 PM
Then see you next season. What are you sticking around for?

I have been watching the Steelers since the 1960s before there was any bandwagon to get on - they have won 6 Super Bowls - do the math on how many seasons I have stuck around for when they were not going to win the Super Bowl

There is a difference between being a fan and a cheerleader

Ron Cook sums it up (even a broken clock is right twice a day)

“We definitely have the guys in this locker room to turn it around,” Shazier said. “We’re a good enough team to win the Super Bowl.”

Sorry, I saw only one such team on the Heinz Field lawn. And it wasn’t the Steelers.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2016/11/14/Ron-Cook-Cowboys-display-superiority-in-just-about-everything-against-Steelers/stories/201611140107

SteelerFanInStl
11-14-2016, 01:46 PM

The middle of our DL has gotten abused all season. Neither McCullers or Hargrove is an NFL caliber starting NT.

Born2Steel
11-14-2016, 01:55 PM
I have been watching the Steelers since the 1960s before there was any bandwagon to get on - they have won 6 Super Bowls - do the math on how many seasons I have stuck around for when they were not going to win the Super Bowl

There is a difference between being a fan and a cheerleader

Ron Cook sums it up (even a broken clock is right twice a day)

“We definitely have the guys in this locker room to turn it around,” Shazier said. “We’re a good enough team to win the Super Bowl.”

Sorry, I saw only one such team on the Heinz Field lawn. And it wasn’t the Steelers.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2016/11/14/Ron-Cook-Cowboys-display-superiority-in-just-about-everything-against-Steelers/stories/201611140107

Then you should know the Steelers better than to claim they are done at 4-5 with such a pansy schedule coming up. I don't see world champions yet either, but I'm certainly not ready to stick a fork in them. When they are mathematically eliminated, I will concede defeat. Until then, I have every confidence we can get it done.

- - - Updated - - -

The middle of our DL has gotten abused all season. Neither McCullers or Hargrove is an NFL caliber starting NT.

I agree with this 90%. BigMac has shown nothing to make me think he can be the guy. Hargrove still has time to prove himself, IMO. All that said, we desperately need a true NG.

AtlantaDan
11-14-2016, 02:05 PM
Then you should know the Steelers better than to claim they are done at 4-5 with such a pansy schedule coming up. I don't see world champions yet either, but I'm certainly not ready to stick a fork in them. When they are mathematically eliminated, I will concede defeat. Until then, I have every confidence we can get it done.

Steelers P-G reporter Ray Fittipaldo disagrees, but he only gets paid to cover the team so I suppose he should know better

In all seriousness on this "doom and gloom" Monday, 10-6 easily wins North as Balt and Cincy play each other 2x and both have tough schedules. Do you see enough in Pitt for them to still win the North?

Ray Fittipaldo: No. Just not consistent enough. I could see them winning a few in a row and then stumbling later in the season. They just have too many holes to cover up....

Considering the AFC North will not get a wild card, how confident are you we make the playoffs? And what is the #1 key in winning the division?

Ray Fittipaldo: On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being the lowest confidence level I'm at 3. And the recipe for winning the division would be sweeping the final four games plus winning one in Buffalo or Indy. And beating the Giants at home. Sorry, I just don't see all of that happening.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/11/14/Ray-Fittipaldo-s-Steelers-chat-11-14-16/stories/201611140123

Moose
11-14-2016, 02:08 PM
I feel a 7 game winning streak coming for the Black/Gold !! Here comes the turn-around. ( and this isn't the tequila and joint talking !:tt03: )

fansince'76
11-14-2016, 02:15 PM
Steelers P-G reporter Ray Fittipaldo disagrees, but he only gets paid to cover the team so I suppose he should know better

Not necessarily - Bouchette gets paid to cover the team too and he's been mailing it in for years now. :chuckle:

Born2Steel
11-14-2016, 02:17 PM

In all seriousness on this "doom and gloom" Monday, 10-6 easily wins North as Balt and Cincy play each other 2x and both have tough schedules. Do you see enough in Pitt for them to still win the North?

Ray Fittipaldo: No. Just not consistent enough. I could see them winning a few in a row and then stumbling later in the season. They just have too many holes to cover up....

Considering the AFC North will not get a wild card, how confident are you we make the playoffs? And what is the #1 key in winning the division?

Ray Fittipaldo: On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being the lowest confidence level I'm at 3. And the recipe for winning the division would be sweeping the final four games plus winning one in Buffalo or Indy. And beating the Giants at home. Sorry, I just don't see all of that happening.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/11/14/Ray-Fittipaldo-s-Steelers-chat-11-14-16/stories/201611140123

So? Now I'm in disagreement with RF? Is that the point?

Shoes
11-14-2016, 02:24 PM
Not necessarily - Bouchette gets paid to cover the team too and he's been mailing it in for years now. :chuckle:

He gets paid to rob Alex's articles also. :chuckle:

AtlantaDan
11-14-2016, 02:32 PM
So? Now I'm in disagreement with RF? Is that the point?

If you not only disagree with someone but decide to add that person "should know better" (after telling them to quit posting if they think the idea of this team winning the Super Bowl is delusional), it is fair game to point out that someone who gets paid to cover the team and presumably has some pretty fair knowledge of the team also does not share your viewpoint :drink:

Born2Steel
11-14-2016, 03:14 PM
If you not only disagree with someone but decide to add that person "should know better" (after telling them to quit posting if they think the idea of this team winning the Super Bowl is delusional), it is fair game to point out that someone who gets paid to cover the team and presumably has some pretty fair knowledge of the team also does not share your viewpoint :drink:

No. Wrong again. You said only one team at Heinz was a contender and it wasn't the Steelers. That is what I took/still take issue with. You say the sky isn't falling, it has already fallen. That is the GRAMMAR that irks me from your post. RF can have his opinion as well. Getting paid for it doesn't make him right. He has a 3 confidence about the Steelers making the playoffs, whereas I am at a firm 8. The ONLY thing that worries me about this team is if they quit trying. To say this team is done at 4-5, with players getting back healthy, a much easier second half schedule, and Ben, is beyond stupid. We have been here too many times before.

tube517
11-14-2016, 03:39 PM
He gets paid to rob Alex's articles also. :chuckle:

:chuckle:

Is he taking Alex's articles now?

I ignore Douchette now. He is the last guy on Twitter to report anything new.

His chats, although funny, are just Mattheau and Lemmon being smartassy at the people who ask (sometimes very dumb) questions....

DesertSteel
11-14-2016, 03:54 PM
This thread delivers the brain hurt.

Wake me up when it's decided where the sky is...

AtlantaDan
11-14-2016, 03:56 PM
No. Wrong again. You said only one team at Heinz was a contender and it wasn't the Steelers. That is what I took/still take issue with. You say the sky isn't falling, it has already fallen. That is the GRAMMAR that irks me from your post. RF can have his opinion as well. Getting paid for it doesn't make him right. He has a 3 confidence about the Steelers making the playoffs, whereas I am at a firm 8. The ONLY thing that worries me about this team is if they quit trying. To say this team is done at 4-5, with players getting back healthy, a much easier second half schedule, and Ben, is beyond stupid. We have been here too many times before.

Not just wrong and that someone should know better but beyond stupid - stay classy

fansince'76
11-14-2016, 03:58 PM
Wake me up when it's decided where the sky is...

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/47552643.jpg

:lol:

AtlantaDan
11-14-2016, 04:09 PM
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/47552643.jpg

:lol:

Incorrect tense :stirthepot::lol:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMTI5NDE0MDkzOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTcwMzAwMw@@._ V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Mojouw
11-14-2016, 04:31 PM
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/06/061400fc4ac4c3854159ccf6bbc8c06fe8a82aaca283169983 17dc7ac87e930b.jpg

Shoes
11-14-2016, 04:38 PM

Is he taking Alex's articles now?

I ignore Douchette now. He is the last guy on Twitter to report anything new.

His chats, although funny, are just Mattheau and Lemmon being smartassy at the people who ask (sometimes very dumb) questions....

Alex posted an article sometime ago, which I believe was on linebackers. Ed spit out nearly the same piece a day or two later. It was in a post here but I can't remember what the title thread was.

Born2Steel
11-14-2016, 04:56 PM
Not just wrong and that someone should know better but beyond stupid - stay classy

I guess now we know-stay classy yourself

fansince'76
11-14-2016, 05:11 PM
Alex posted an article sometime ago, which I believe was on linebackers. Ed spit out nearly the same piece a day or two later. It was in a post here but I can't remember what the title thread was.

Speaking of which, I hope Alex can land a real sportswriting job at some point...I doubt Steelers Depot is paying him all that much.

Shoes
11-14-2016, 05:14 PM
Speaking of which, I hope Alex can land a real sportswriting job at some point...I doubt Steelers Depot is paying him all that much.

Indeed, he should have Ed's job.

fansince'76
11-14-2016, 05:15 PM
Indeed, he should have Ed's job.

Or Ron Kook's.

Shoes
11-14-2016, 05:22 PM
Or Ron Kook's.

tube517
11-14-2016, 05:22 PM

Agreed.

I watch his and the Depot's twitter feed during games. I get more real analysis than the doofballs on TV.

86WARD
11-14-2016, 06:37 PM
The talent on the defense at this stage just isn't there. People can keep,saying it is, but week after week after week, they prove that they aren't good. You have two good DLmen, 2 good LBs...one of which is turning 100 next month, won't be here next year...so really, only one OLB out of 4 LBing spots is worth anything, a couple decent CBs, one of which may be good...still too early to tell and maybe one good S...still too early to tell. Other than that, there's nothing special about the defense. Nothing.

BlackAndGold
11-14-2016, 07:34 PM

I've noticed a lot more ad's on the site, guessing the need of more $$$.

Alex seems pretty loyal though but money can always change that.

tube517
11-18-2016, 12:38 PM
I've noticed a lot more ad's on the site, guessing the need of more $$$.

Alex seems pretty loyal though but money can always change that.

799354067743031296 :chuckle:

fansince'76
11-18-2016, 02:24 PM
799354067743031296 :chuckle:

Sounds like "TeeTee" - he was always accusing the Rooneys of manipulating the local media in the Burgh...

We need our media to grow a set of stones. They don't ask Tomlin, or follow up questions, that beg to be asked.

The Steelers have a long tradition of muscling the media to only report things that the Rooneys approve of. If not, the media risks losing perks.

That is some Micky Mouse shit.

:rolleyes:

pczach
11-18-2016, 03:59 PM
:jerkit::jerkit::jerkit::rolleyes::jerkit::jerkit:
Sounds like "TeeTee" - he was always accusing the Rooneys of manipulating the local media in the Burgh...

:rolleyes:

If only a tough but fair intellectual like Tee Tee had access to the organization and a Bat phone to the Rooneys, we would finally have a chance to know what's really going on with the team and be able to pull back the curtain to confront the great wizard.....