PDA

View Full Version : Shrug

GBMelBlount
11-13-2016, 06:44 PM
When I saw 45 seconds on the clock I fully expected this team to fold like they did.

Sadly, my expectations for this team are now so low I don't get upset when they lose and I do productive things while watching the game so I no longer feel like I wasted 3 1/2 hours of my day.

NCSteeler
11-13-2016, 06:45 PM
The defense wouldn't stop the run all day . What a fucking mess. Can announcers do their damn job and quit talking about how a Pittsburgh defense is so awesome

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

lipps83
When I saw 45 seconds on the clock I fully expected this team to fold like they did.

My expectations for this team are now so low I don't get upset when they lose and I do productive things during the game so I don't feel like I just wasted 3 1/2 hours of my day.

At least they didn't play the Browns or 49ers. The Steelers would have been blown out. They had a chance against the Cowboys.

tube517
Deebo must be thinking, I came back for this shit?

Drazo85
11-13-2016, 06:46 PM

Sadly, my expectations for this team are now so low I don't get upset when they lose and I do productive things during the game so I don't feel like I just wasted 3 1/2 hours of my day.
Unfortunately the feeling is the same for me.

86WARD
11-13-2016, 06:50 PM
This could possibly be the worst defense the Steelers have fielded since the 80s...maybe worse...

Edman
11-13-2016, 06:52 PM
Time for a return to basics. This team isn't going anywhere this year.

Where do we start? Fixing the Defense of course.

This starts with letting go of Butler and getting rid of his soft Lebeau cushions and no pass rush, and now no run defense.

Steelerschik
11-13-2016, 06:53 PM
This could possibly be the worst defense the Steelers have fielded since the 80s...maybe worse...

Yep, I just said that to ............my dog. 42 seconds....they couldn't stop them with 42 seconds? That is not indicative of even a bad D, that's pure shit.

SteelerFanInStl
11-13-2016, 06:54 PM
I didn't like the Butler hiring when it happened and I like it even less now. We needed a change, not more of the same.

Steelerschik
11-13-2016, 06:58 PM
Well that's reassuring. Tomlin on WDVE talking saying their play is "not acceptable." I feel so much better now knowing that. Thanks coach, at least I know this is NOT acceptable play, I can go to bed happy now. Fucker.

Mojouw
11-13-2016, 06:58 PM
Time for a return to basics. This team isn't going anywhere this year.

Where do we start? Fixing the Defense of course.

This starts with letting go of Butler and getting rid of his soft Lebeau cushions and no pass rush, and now no run defense.

When they generate a pass rush, they leave the CBs in single coverage. That was where the long TD to Bryant came from. Vince Lombardi and Bear Bryant couldn't do much with the TOTAL lack of pass rush talent on this roster. We can keep complaining about it every week, but everyone could see it from a year ago until this training camp. Why are people still confused about this? When the best pass rushers on your roster are your base 3-4 ends, you have a SERIOUS and as we see 9 weeks into the season, fatal, flaw in your team. We will never know what this defense could've looked like with a full 16 games of a healthy Dupree, but I suspect it would be at least 2 wins better.

Why do we all get shocked about this week after week? It has been glaringly obvious since the preseason.

WCSteeler
11-13-2016, 07:03 PM
Well that's reassuring. Tomlin on WDVE talking saying their play is "not acceptable." I feel so much better now knowing that. Thanks coach, at least I know this is NOT acceptable play, I can go to bed happy now. Fucker.

Mike Tomlin has NO IDEA how to fix what's happened to this team and it will continue.Undisciplined and outcoached

86WARD
11-13-2016, 07:03 PM
And at no time should one of the Top 4-5 WRs in the league be left one on one with a rookie. That's poor game planning. You saw it with Burns on the Steeelrs and you saw it with Brown on the Cowboys. It's not smart.

Edman
11-13-2016, 07:07 PM
When they generate a pass rush, they leave the CBs in single coverage. That was where the long TD to Bryant came from. Vince Lombardi and Bear Bryant couldn't do much with the TOTAL lack of pass rush talent on this roster. We can keep complaining about it every week, but everyone could see it from a year ago until this training camp. Why are people still confused about this? When the best pass rushers on your roster are your base 3-4 ends, you have a SERIOUS and as we see 9 weeks into the season, fatal, flaw in your team. We will never know what this defense could've looked like with a full 16 games of a healthy Dupree, but I suspect it would be at least 2 wins better.

Why do we all get shocked about this week after week? It has been glaringly obvious since the preseason.

I'm sorry. I didn't know lack of pass rush caused a 15 yard penalty that moved the Cowboys into striking distance.

Or causing a blocked punt for a TD against the Ravens.

Or Ben to play like garbage in Baltimore.

Or Tomlin to take points off the board with his horrid decision making.

Or why we suddenly don't have any receivers.

It's everyone taking turns fucking up each week. That's what caused this season to go south. This is a bad team.

86WARD
11-13-2016, 07:17 PM
Has nothing to do with coaching though.

*sarcasm alert*

steelcityboyz
11-13-2016, 07:22 PM
I'm sorry. I didn't know lack of pass rush caused a 15 yard penalty that moved the Cowboys into striking distance.

It's everyone taking turns fucking up each week. That's what caused this season to go south. This is a bad team.Agreed. And a few plays before that face mask Gay got away with another face mask. That's on the coaches... These players have no discipline period. Say what you want but that would never happen on a belicheck coached team.

Terrapinstation
11-13-2016, 07:24 PM

I'm curious, do the coaches factor in whatsoever on draft day? Cause if they do, and since Tomlin was such a 'defensive guru', he should have been canned 2 years ago. Maybe they should stop drafting undersized projects, and actually get some players that can handle the league. Case in point, drafting a 5'9" CB and a 220lb ILB. And they'll blame these guys for always being injured? lol

Mojouw
11-13-2016, 07:25 PM

It's everyone taking turns fucking up each week. That's what caused this season to go south. This is a bad team.

I was not clear in my posting. My point is that we have to separate all of the crappy things about this team right now into different bins. In the bin labelled "bad coaching" we can put things like stupid penalties, weird play-calls, etc. But we can't put "lack of a pass rush" in that bin. It goes in the box labelled "no edge rosters on roster besides Deebo".

If we examine, the pass rush issue, I would argue that the lack of one is a pretty big component of why rookie QBs can no routinely shred this defense.

Edman
11-13-2016, 07:29 PM
I was not clear in my posting. My point is that we have to separate all of the crappy things about this team right now into different bins. In the bin labelled "bad coaching" we can put things like stupid penalties, weird play-calls, etc. But we can't put "lack of a pass rush" in that bin. It goes in the box labelled "no edge rosters on roster besides Deebo".

If we examine, the pass rush issue, I would argue that the lack of one is a pretty big component of why rookie QBs can no routinely shred this defense.

Actually, "lack of pass rush" is a coaching failure, because they have failed to address the problem. To see that, hey, this isn't working.

Coaching is beyond what's on the field, it is realizing that you have a problem in your personnel.

Terrapinstation
11-13-2016, 07:30 PM

And I will continue to argue that we draft LBs every year in the first few rounds, and have gotten next to nothing out of them. Same can be said for DBs too. Where does that blame lie? Cause wherever it does, those people should be terminated.

Shoes
11-13-2016, 07:30 PM

Sadly, my expectations for this team are now so low I don't get upset when they lose and I do productive things while watching the game so I no longer feel like I wasted 3 1/2 hours of my day.

Well it was worth watching Tomlin impose his will on the Cowboys by going for 2 all day. :heh:

Mojouw
11-13-2016, 07:35 PM
Actually, "lack of pass rush" is a coaching failure, because they have failed to address the problem. To see that, hey, this isn't working.

Coaching is beyond what's on the field, it is realizing that you have a problem in your personnel.

That is what I am saying. Butler can not "Scheme/Coach" his way out of having no pass rushers.

It was attempted to be addressed by Dupree, who is hurt, and Hargrave - who was no where near as NFL ready as advertised.

WHen it comes to a pass rush, Butler is a man trying to make a 7 course meal with only the ingredients for like 3 of those courses. That being said, I don't really think Butler is all he was reported to be. This is the guy we wouldn't let leave town?

Steel Peon
11-13-2016, 07:50 PM

I tried to find a quote for myself saying the same thing, but I guess I never posted it, so yeah I agree.

lipps83
11-13-2016, 07:51 PM
I don't really think Butler is all he was reported to be. This is the guy we wouldn't let leave town?

He is a Lebeau disciple.

Just wait though, as soon as Butler has borderline all pro players stacked deep like Lebeau had, the defense will be good again with this garbage Lebeau type system.

Lebeau. Luckiest coach ever in the history of the game, twice (with Steelers).

Notice how nobody pays attention to his horrid years (twice) with the Bengals though when he is brought up....

Steel Peon
11-13-2016, 07:53 PM
And I will continue to argue that we draft LBs every year in the first few rounds, and have gotten next to nothing out of them. Same can be said for DBs too. Where does that blame lie? Cause wherever it does, those people should be terminated.

I think we might've been drafting (and signing FAs) too heavily for physical talent these last several years, and not enough for brains. At this point there's enough examples to back my statement up, and we've had way too many "works in progress" lately.[/QUOTE]

NCSteeler
11-13-2016, 08:03 PM
I think we might've been drafting (and signing FAs) too heavily for physical talent these last several years, and not enough for brains. At this point there's enough examples to back my statement up, and we've had way too many "works in progress" lately.[/QUOTE]
Quickly becoming the Al Davis Raiders North

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

fansince'76
11-13-2016, 08:14 PM
He is a Lebeau disciple.

Just wait though, as soon as Butler has borderline all pro players stacked deep like Lebeau had, the defense will be good again with this garbage Lebeau type system.

Lebeau. Luckiest coach ever in the history of the game, twice (with Steelers).

Notice how nobody pays attention to his horrid years (twice) with the Bengals though when he is brought up....

Not to mention all the times Arians caught the blame from Yinzer Nation when it was actually LeBeau's unit that shit the bed (see: five 4th quarter leads blown in 2009)...

lipps83
11-13-2016, 08:19 PM
Not to mention all the times Arians caught the blame from Yinzer Nation when it was actually LeBeau's unit that shit the bed (see: five 4th quarter leads blown in 2009)...

Exactly!

Arians sucked too though to be fair :)

Hawkman
11-13-2016, 08:30 PM
That is what I am saying. Butler can not "Scheme/Coach" his way out of having no pass rushers.

It was attempted to be addressed by Dupree, who is hurt, and Hargrave - who was no where near as NFL ready as advertised.

WHen it comes to a pass rush, Butler is a man trying to make a 7 course meal with only the ingredients for like 3 of those courses. That being said, I don't really think Butler is all he was reported to be. This is the guy we wouldn't let leave town?

Mojouw, you are continually fight an uphill battle, being the "voice of reason". I feel for you.:chuckle:

fansince'76
11-13-2016, 08:31 PM
Exactly!

Well, LeBeau (and particularly his history of craptastic 4th quarter defense) can take solace in helping cement Joe Montana's legacy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq9PjJ6tVTU

WCSteeler
11-13-2016, 08:41 PM
Drafting and development has lacked and it's really come to a head. Multiple high defensive draft picks haven't panned out for this team, it is becoming increasingly difficult to defend Mike Tomlin. The Steelers are inconsistent but one common issue is run defense maybe even the defense as an entire unit, there is an answer but this coaching staff cannot find what it is.Time for a change

fansince'76
11-13-2016, 08:44 PM
That being said, I don't really think Butler is all he was reported to be. This is the guy we wouldn't let leave town?

Yeah, I've had about enough of "LeBeau Lite" too...

st33lersguy
11-13-2016, 08:49 PM
Not having Harrison on the field was mind boggingly boneheaded. Seriously, how dumb can you be? Suckler needs to go.

86WARD
11-13-2016, 09:02 PM
Exactly!

Arians may be the worst coach in the league this season...lol.

86WARD
11-13-2016, 09:03 PM
Yeah, I've had about enough of "LeBeau Lite" too...

I thought Butler started out well with his DC career...but man...it's in the shitter at this point...

lipps83
11-13-2016, 09:20 PM
I thought Butler started out well with his DC career...but man...it's in the shitter at this point...

At the beginning of last season they blew, but around game 6 or 7 Butler was able to get them turned around by changing his approach and became more aggressive. This year, I have no idea what he is trying to do with the defense and I don't think he does either. They are just kind of there on the field it seems hoping to get in the way of someone that has the ball.

st33lersguy
11-13-2016, 11:11 PM
LeBeau's defenses were never as bad as this year's lousy impersonation of a defense, not even on the tail-end of his career in Pittsburgh. This defense sucks plain and simple. Splash plays are non-existent, and bend-but-don't break is turning into bend and break too many times

fansince'76
11-13-2016, 11:23 PM
LeBeau's defenses were never as bad as this year's lousy impersonation of a defense, not even on the tail-end of his career in Pittsburgh.

Yeah, they were, especially when Ike and Troy began showing their age.

Watching Troy being allowed to continue to "freelance" like it was still 2008 (and flail around about 3 steps behind on every play) instead of being forced to play more of a traditional strong safety role was particularly painful to watch...

SteelerFanInStl
11-14-2016, 07:20 AM
Yeah, they were, especially when Ike and Troy began showing their age.

Watching Troy being allowed to continue to "freelance" like it was still 2008 (and flail around about 3 steps behind on every play) instead of being forced to play more of a traditional strong safety role was particularly painful to watch...

Yep. Butler has done nothing but continue LeBeau's legacy.

Born2Steel
11-14-2016, 07:49 AM
I cannot wait to watch you all backpedal and fall over yourselves rushing back to the bandwagon when the Steelers end this season on a 7 game win streak, to win the division and a 1st round bye in the playoffs. See you at the finish line.

teegre
11-14-2016, 08:39 AM
I cannot wait to watch you all backpedal and fall over yourselves rushing back to the bandwagon when the Steelers end this season on a 7 game win streak, to win the division and a 1st round bye in the playoffs. See you at the finish line.

Yes!!!

GBMelBlount
11-14-2016, 09:16 AM

I will be nothing but thankful if this happens.

I personally think they have the raw talent to do this and just need to get their act together.

Rotorhead
11-14-2016, 10:59 AM
I honestly think the pass rush is what is killing us, JH makes plays, time to let JJ sit and start getting ready for FA. Keep him in there going forward. Hopefully Dupree will be ready to go soon and be improved from last year. I can't really blame the def for this loss, the Cowboys have won 8 in a row now and they are no joke this year. It was a good game and we were in it to the end. Yeah we had some letdowns, but this team could very well represent the NFC in the superbowl this year with the way they are playing right now. I do think we will go on a bit of a winning streak the next few games, but unfortunately by losing to Miami and Baltimore we have dug a big hole to try to get out of. All we can hope for is for our team to clean up the stupid penalties and for our defense to continue to improve each game, and of course for our offense to actually play like they want to win.

86WARD
11-14-2016, 06:54 PM

I like the positivity. Nothing would make me happier. Reality is, this,teams not good...

st33lersguy
11-14-2016, 07:32 PM
I like the positivity. Nothing would make me happier. Reality is, this,teams not good...

I agree, technically it can happen. Problem is, if the defense doesn't improve, if the coaching doesn't improve drastically, and if the play on the road, and against losing teams doesn't improve, it WON'T happen

BigBen2004
11-17-2016, 03:39 PM
The problem isn't really the draft picks. Burns has made some nice plays as a rookie. I can see him developing into a very solid CB over time. Dupree showed flashes last year, and hopefully he's even better this season. Sean Davis has played well too, all things considered. It's not a lack of talent on the defense. They've got some good players. It's the fact that they're relying on the youth too much. These kids are going to make mistakes. Mental errors happen. The gameplan for this team is always, "Outscore the opponent with our stellar offense, to mask the deficiencies of the defense".
The problem is, injuries and suspensions are hampering the offense, so the defense is relied on too heavily.

With Bryant, D-Will, Wheaton, DHB, Green and Bell healthy and present for a full 16 game season, they can win the Super Bowl with this defense. Let's not forget the 2009 Saints, who were a bottom half of the league defense.

But because those things aren't breaking our way, we're forced to sit and watch the defense try to preserve a one-score lead. It shouldn't be that way, but, that's how they've built this team. Win with offense, hide your defense.

Unless the offense can live up to their potential and start blowing people out, the team doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell at a championship.

Born2Steel
11-17-2016, 03:52 PM
The problem isn't really the draft picks. Burns has made some nice plays as a rookie. I can see him developing into a very solid CB over time. Dupree showed flashes last year, and hopefully he's even better this season. Sean Davis has played well too, all things considered. It's not a lack of talent on the defense. They've got some good players. It's the fact that they're relying on the youth too much. These kids are going to make mistakes. Mental errors happen. The gameplan for this team is always, "Outscore the opponent with our stellar offense, to mask the deficiencies of the defense".
The problem is, injuries and suspensions are hampering the offense, so the defense is relied on too heavily.

With Bryant, D-Will, Wheaton, DHB, Green and Bell healthy and present for a full 16 game season, they can win the Super Bowl with this defense. Let's not forget the 2009 Saints, who were a bottom half of the league defense.

But because those things aren't breaking our way, we're forced to sit and watch the defense try to preserve a one-score lead. It shouldn't be that way, but, that's how they've built this team. Win with offense, hide your defense.

Unless the offense can live up to their potential and start blowing people out, the team doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell at a championship.

Little known fact about that 2009 Saints defense. Due to offensive dominance by Drew Brees and Co, opponents were forced into one dimensional pass happy offense to keep up. As a result, that 2009 Saints D only gave up something like 21 4th quarter points for the entire season. I may not have the exact number, but I remember that stat was unreal. The offense, our offense, is potent enough to have that same effect on the league also. Just really needed guys to stay healthy and on the same page.

Steeldude
11-17-2016, 04:23 PM
Little known fact about that 2009 Saints defense. Due to offensive dominance by Drew Brees and Co, opponents were forced into one dimensional pass happy offense to keep up. As a result, that 2009 Saints D only gave up something like 21 4th quarter points for the entire season. I may not have the exact number, but I remember that stat was unreal. The offense, our offense, is potent enough to have that same effect on the league also. Just really needed guys to stay healthy and on the same page.

Wishful thinking, but the offense is not a well-oiled machine. They are unable to methodically march down field with any consistency.

Born2Steel
11-17-2016, 04:37 PM
Wishful thinking, but the offense is not a well-oiled machine. They are unable to methodically march down field with any consistency.

Yep. Kinda covered that in that very next sentence.

86WARD
11-17-2016, 04:51 PM
Flashes and promise don't win games. This team has had a whole lot of "flashes" and hasn't won them any games. They need good/great play. Not flashes of good and great. They need it from everyone and very few are giving it on a weekly basis. Jarvis Jones showed flashes as recently as a few weeks ago...he's terrible, but he showed "flashes".