PDA

View Full Version : Can Cowher coach the remainder of the season please?

StillCurtains
11-08-2016, 01:18 AM
Hello Guys!

Listen, I have backed Tomlin since he got here through good and bad. I don't think he's a horrible coach, but his camera loving style of coaching has started to get to me these last 4 years.

He loves to use this cool persona with tough talk and catch phrases for the media. He has become comercialized. You can see this persona trickle down to the team. Way too cool and dominant to prepare against cellar dwellers of the league.

This team is unprepared more often than not. Now it has also become a team that when a team hits first they don't hit back. Cowher wasn't the greatest coach, but his teams didn't come on the field unprepared. His teams played hard and with heart. If you beat them then you just outright were better that day.

I have truly grown tired of Tomlin and his beat Dallas and lose to Cleveland the following week madness. Talking tough to the media, looking cool with shades on for the cameras, and jumping and running around on the sideline while twirling your headset during positive plays isn't cutting it anymore.

He needs to start coaching, and right now!!!

SteelMayhem72
11-08-2016, 02:36 PM
Hello Guys!

Listen, I have backed Tomlin since he got here through good and bad. I don't think he's a horrible coach, but his camera loving style of coaching has started to get to me these last 4 years.

He loves to use this cool persona with tough talk and catch phrases for the media. He has become comercialized. You can see this persona trickle down to the team. Way too cool and dominant to prepare against cellar dwellers of the league.

This team is unprepared more often than not. Now it has also become a team that when a team hits first they don't hit back. Cowher wasn't the greatest coach, but his teams didn't come on the field unprepared. His teams played hard and with heart. If you beat them then you just outright were better that day.

I have truly grown tired of Tomlin and his beat Dallas and lose to Cleveland the following week madness. Talking tough to the media, looking cool with shades on for the cameras, and jumping and running around on the sideline while twirling your headset during positive plays isn't cutting it anymore.

He needs to start coaching, and right now!!!
I agree...ive been backing tomlin too but im now seeing he has hit the wall and his glaring weaknesses as a coach are truly shining through. Others in the media see it as well its just the rooneys will not pull that proverbial trigger to let him go...he will have to completely tank 2 or 3 seasons before they even think about it and us fans are the ones that suffer through this dumpster fire.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mojouw
11-08-2016, 04:27 PM
I don't know about all of this. I will grant you the unprepared part. But I see a team that has never quit no matter the score or the injury problems or the season record during Tomlin's tenure. I see a roster full of guys that walk through walls for their HC and always keep their heads up and play hard.

Now do they play stupid, undisciplined, and error prone football? Perhaps - but soft? That is too far.

st33lersguy
11-08-2016, 07:11 PM
Cowher ain't coming back

teegre
11-08-2016, 09:52 PM
Cowher never lost to crap teams... except the expansion Jaguars... and, the expansion Texans.

Do not get me wrong. I was the only person backing Cowher (when CowherSux and Ih8Cowher lambasted me). So, I'll probably be the only person backing Tomlin. Oh well.

86WARD
11-09-2016, 08:50 AM
Cowherd wasn't that great a coach either. If they are going to make a change, mid-season isn't the way to go imo. Teams that do that more or less turn into a mess.

hawaiiansteeler
11-09-2016, 03:10 PM
yeah, let's hire Cowher to coach the Steelers for the next 16 seasons so we can win one Super Bowl again...

BlackAndGold
11-10-2016, 12:49 AM
yeah, let's hire Cowher to coach the Steelers for the next 16 seasons so we can win one Super Bowl again...

If it was up to him, Ben wouldn't even have been drafted by the Steelers. Could've easily been zero Super Bowls.

Born2Steel
11-10-2016, 07:42 AM
:deadhorse:

tube517
11-10-2016, 07:48 AM
Let's just dig up Noll's body and have him coach. After all, the great teams of the 90s were his players. :rolleyes:

pczach
11-10-2016, 12:59 PM
Cowher never lost to crap teams... except the expansion Jaguars... and, the expansion Texans.

Do not get me wrong. I was the only person backing Cowher (when CowherSux and Ih8Cowher lambasted me). So, I'll probably be the only person backing Tomlin. Oh well.

I agree with you.

I commented on the coaching in the last game. I believe there are some things that Tomlin is doing that need to be addressed and that he can improve on.

What I am not saying is that Tomlin needs to be replaced mid-season like some of these people are commenting in some threads. That doesn't make any sense.

This is a perfect example where just having some criticism by someone like me seems reasonable, but then I see many other people run with it and turn it into something that it should not be........ firing Mike Tomlin.

I stated that Mike Tomlin needs to assess the way he's doing things, particularly on the road. He also needs to come up with better game plans heading into games. Sometimes coaches decide that they are just going to do what they do and the other teams have to stop it. I believe that there needs to be more specific game plans based on your opponent and these specific things that they do offensively and defensively. I believe he also needs to adjust the way he is motivating or handing out discipline to players to instruct or get a point across.

My personal criticisms of Tomlin are not going beyond that. I don't believe he is going anywhere, nor should he be.

I still don't understand how we go from normal criticism to having him run out of town in the middle of the season. That just doesn't compute.

vasteeler
11-10-2016, 04:51 PM
then we could go back to losing at home AFC championship games!!!

teegre
11-10-2016, 10:36 PM
I agree with you.

I commented on the coaching in the last game. I believe there are some things that Tomlin is doing that need to be addressed and that he can improve on.

What I am not saying is that Tomlin needs to be replaced mid-season like some of these people are commenting in some threads. That doesn't make any sense.

This is a perfect example where just having some criticism by someone like me seems reasonable, but then I see many other people run with it and turn it into something that it should not be........ firing Mike Tomlin.

I stated that Mike Tomlin needs to assess the way he's doing things, particularly on the road. He also needs to come up with better game plans heading into games. Sometimes coaches decide that they are just going to do what they do and the other teams have to stop it. I believe that there needs to be more specific game plans based on your opponent and these specific things that they do offensively and defensively. I believe he also needs to adjust the way he is motivating or handing out discipline to players to instruct or get a point across.

My personal criticisms of Tomlin are not going beyond that. I don't believe he is going anywhere, nor should he be.

I still don't understand how we go from normal criticism to having him run out of town in the middle of the season. That just doesn't compute.

Exactly.

Tomlin isn't perfect. No coach is (not even Belichick... he lacks a soul). Likewise, neither are the Harbaughs; if anyone wants to check this out, read the Ravens' boards during their 4-game losing streak (search the words "fire" and "sucks").

Simply, there are things that we'd all like to see improved, but firing Tomlin mid-season is reactionary at best.

Mojouw
11-11-2016, 12:14 PM
Exactly.

Tomlin isn't perfect. No coach is (not even Belichick... he lacks a soul). Likewise, neither are the Harbaughs; if anyone wants to check this out, read the Ravens' boards during their 4-game losing streak (search the words "fire" and "sucks").

Simply, there are things that we'd all like to see improved, but firing Tomlin mid-season is reactionary at best.

Harbaugh went, what, 5-11 last season? Why - by most accounts his team packed it in when too many front-line players got injured and their back-ups proved to be no talent hacks. Meanwhile, Tomlin consistently has his team committed to playing hard and "next man up" etc. Colbert has assembled a deeper roster than most with no $$$ but most want both run out of town on a rail.

Think about this. The Steelers emerging All-Pro LT goes down to season ending injury. Most teams that is a disaster of unrecoverable proportions. Leads to a panic high dollar FA signing or a lopsided trade where a team guts future draft classes (Hi, Cleveland, yeah it is Pittsburgh. So we will trade you 98 consecutive first round picks for Joe Thomas.). Instead, the Steelers plug in AV, a guy that Tomlin and Colbert liked and rolled the dice on - and, yes, I realize Munch deserves the lion's share of the credit here.

Another example, this year Cobi Hamilton shows up and proves he belongs. Last season, the Ravens couldn't find enough guys to run routes.

Look is Tomlin a genius? Nope. Does he make head scratching decisions? Does he make me yell at my television to an embarrassing degree? Yes to both. But really, at some point, this has to be laid squarely at the feet of the players. In my humble opinion Tomlin has a highly motivated team whose coaching staff, for the most part, puts its players in a position to succeed. The trouble is players NOT seizing that opportunity.

Now about Justin Gilboykinert...

86WARD
11-11-2016, 02:49 PM
Let's just dig up Noll's body and have him coach. After all, the great teams of the 90s were his players. :rolleyes:

His decision to have Boz attempt that insides kick would've been different.

86WARD
11-11-2016, 02:54 PM
Harbaugh went, what, 5-11 last season? Why - by most accounts his team packed it in when too many front-line players got injured and their back-ups proved to be no talent hacks. Meanwhile, Tomlin consistently has his team committed to playing hard and "next man up" etc. Colbert has assembled a deeper roster than most with no $$$ but most want both run out of town on a rail.

Think about this. The Steelers emerging All-Pro LT goes down to season ending injury. Most teams that is a disaster of unrecoverable proportions. Leads to a panic high dollar FA signing or a lopsided trade where a team guts future draft classes (Hi, Cleveland, yeah it is Pittsburgh. So we will trade you 98 consecutive first round picks for Joe Thomas.). Instead, the Steelers plug in AV, a guy that Tomlin and Colbert liked and rolled the dice on - and, yes, I realize Munch deserves the lion's share of the credit here.

Another example, this year Cobi Hamilton shows up and proves he belongs. Last season, the Ravens couldn't find enough guys to run routes.

Look is Tomlin a genius? Nope. Does he make head scratching decisions? Does he make me yell at my television to an embarrassing degree? Yes to both. But really, at some point, this has to be laid squarely at the feet of the players. In my humble opinion Tomlin has a highly motivated team whose coaching staff, for the most part, puts its players in a position to succeed. The trouble is players NOT seizing that opportunity.

Now about Justin Gilboykinert...

Deeper roster?!? Maybe at a couple positions. For the most part there are nothing but bodies at the others.

QB, TE, OL, DL, OLB, CB, S all lack quality depth. Sure there are bodies there and in most cases they are NFL bodies...they just aren't second string bodies.

You can't keep throwing blame on the players when the players continue to do the same dumb shit over and over. They are either being "taught" incorrectly or just can't execute properly and should be removed for not doing their job correctly. Maybe the players can't seize the opportunity...

Mojouw
11-11-2016, 04:13 PM
Deeper roster?!? Maybe at a couple positions. For the most part there are nothing but bodies at the others.

QB, TE, OL, DL, OLB, CB, S all lack quality depth. Sure there are bodies there and in most cases they are NFL bodies...they just aren't second string bodies.

You can't keep throwing blame on the players when the players continue to do the same dumb shit over and over. They are either being "taught" incorrectly or just can't execute properly and should be removed for not doing their job correctly. Maybe the players can't seize the opportunity...

This roster is deeper than some of the recent SB teams - it just lacks the HOF talent at the top of the depth chart. It is the "new" NFL - as second string player is now a guy with physical and athletic upside that has NO idea how to play in the NFL. That's what happens when your QB, WR, and like 3 other players account for about half the salary cap each year.

Look, do I think this roster is super impressive - not really. But I feel a hell of a lot more comfortable with Hubbard/Harris coming off the bench than Essex, Tony Hills or Kemo kicking out to tackle. That wasn't that long ago.

I would say that CB has depth. Most seasons in the NFL, there are about 6 teams that see their 3rd CB injured (Gay this year) and next week they are signing guys out of the stands and the arena league. Between Gilbert and Shazaam (whatever his name is) there are guys they can cycle through the roster that legitimately belong in the NFL.

At safety, Mitchell and Davis are your starters - don't let anyone tell you any different. So now Golden and Dangerfield are not good depth? I thought they were solid fundamentally sound building blocks for the defense as recently as this camp by most folks around here.

OLB has tons of depth, it just doesn't have any actually impact talent outside of an injured Bud Dupree. But Moats and Chikfilet with Deebo on the bench? That's more than most teams. I mean at least we aren't considering giving Bjoern Werner or someone like that a job.

TE has a bunch of "flawed" lottery tickets. Did anyone really expect anything different? The "starter" has yet to play. Jesse James hasn't blocked since middle school. Grimble was a street free agent for a reason - he has bricks for hands. David Johnson is about the most uninspiring TE/H back ever -- but these are what depth looks like in the NFL. Take a look - http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/depth-charts/ - I see a few situations league wide that I would be envious of. Mostly because the #1 guy is so ridiculously talented.

DL was touted as the DEEPEST group on the team coming into the season. Just because Hargrave isn't an instant star doesn't mean it isn't a deep group. Deep isn't the same as talented!

Of course I can throw blame on the players. They are not being asked to do unreasonable things. Most players are being asked to do things that suit their skill-sets. Coates drops wide-open passes - he was put in a position to succeed. Burns is being asked to play man coverages - his easiest path to NFL success. He never gives up a TD last week if Mitchell can tackle. Jarvis Jones is being asked to set the edge against the run and cover short areas in the passing game which he is at least decent at, not rush the passer which he sucks at. Eli Rogers gets open, but he just doesn't run NFL routes yet and therefore Ben just misses big plays.

Everything points to a roster that is sprinkled through and through with either actual youth (guys in year 1-3 in the league) or guys that have played less than 3 dozen games as the starter. Reps matter and most of this roster simply does not have it. Mental errors, sloppy execution, etc are the new norm in the NFL as every franchise becomes more and more reliant on young and/or inexperienced back-ups in order to pay the 4-7 guys they are building the team around tons of money. Most of the current Steelers roster is making less than $1 million dollars this season and a great deal of that roster is 25 or under. You don't sign for that low of a contract if you have ANY track record of actual NFL success.

I still argue that despite the fact that there is a shocking amount of inexperience and guys still learning how to be professional football players - there is more potential talent there than a lot of other rosters I am aware of. For instance whether or not Gilbert is any damn good remains to be seen, but dear me - find a 4th CB in the league with that many physical tools. This is the Colbert and Tomlin plan - find a player with freakish measurables, physical trait, and/or tools (AV, Jesse James, Coates, Bryant, Grimble, Dupree, Burns, Davis, Hargrave, Hamilton, Gilbert, Hawkins, Karlos Williams, Shazier, etc) and hope you can teach them to play NFL football in a competent manner while they are still on a cheap deal.

Born2Steel
11-11-2016, 08:40 PM

You are in panic mode. Go sit down and breath into a paper bag for a week. Chill for a bit. You're thoughts here are way off.

Born2Steel
11-11-2016, 08:52 PM
This roster is deeper than some of the recent SB teams - it just lacks the HOF talent at the top of the depth chart. It is the "new" NFL - as second string player is now a guy with physical and athletic upside that has NO idea how to play in the NFL. That's what happens when your QB, WR, and like 3 other players account for about half the salary cap each year.

Look, do I think this roster is super impressive - not really. But I feel a hell of a lot more comfortable with Hubbard/Harris coming off the bench than Essex, Tony Hills or Kemo kicking out to tackle. That wasn't that long ago.

I would say that CB has depth. Most seasons in the NFL, there are about 6 teams that see their 3rd CB injured (Gay this year) and next week they are signing guys out of the stands and the arena league. Between Gilbert and Shazaam (whatever his name is) there are guys they can cycle through the roster that legitimately belong in the NFL.

At safety, Mitchell and Davis are your starters - don't let anyone tell you any different. So now Golden and Dangerfield are not good depth? I thought they were solid fundamentally sound building blocks for the defense as recently as this camp by most folks around here.

OLB has tons of depth, it just doesn't have any actually impact talent outside of an injured Bud Dupree. But Moats and Chikfilet with Deebo on the bench? That's more than most teams. I mean at least we aren't considering giving Bjoern Werner or someone like that a job.

TE has a bunch of "flawed" lottery tickets. Did anyone really expect anything different? The "starter" has yet to play. Jesse James hasn't blocked since middle school. Grimble was a street free agent for a reason - he has bricks for hands. David Johnson is about the most uninspiring TE/H back ever -- but these are what depth looks like in the NFL. Take a look - http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/depth-charts/ - I see a few situations league wide that I would be envious of. Mostly because the #1 guy is so ridiculously talented.

DL was touted as the DEEPEST group on the team coming into the season. Just because Hargrave isn't an instant star doesn't mean it isn't a deep group. Deep isn't the same as talented!

Of course I can throw blame on the players. They are not being asked to do unreasonable things. Most players are being asked to do things that suit their skill-sets. Coates drops wide-open passes - he was put in a position to succeed. Burns is being asked to play man coverages - his easiest path to NFL success. He never gives up a TD last week if Mitchell can tackle. Jarvis Jones is being asked to set the edge against the run and cover short areas in the passing game which he is at least decent at, not rush the passer which he sucks at. Eli Rogers gets open, but he just doesn't run NFL routes yet and therefore Ben just misses big plays.

Everything points to a roster that is sprinkled through and through with either actual youth (guys in year 1-3 in the league) or guys that have played less than 3 dozen games as the starter. Reps matter and most of this roster simply does not have it. Mental errors, sloppy execution, etc are the new norm in the NFL as every franchise becomes more and more reliant on young and/or inexperienced back-ups in order to pay the 4-7 guys they are building the team around tons of money. Most of the current Steelers roster is making less than $1 million dollars this season and a great deal of that roster is 25 or under. You don't sign for that low of a contract if you have ANY track record of actual NFL success.

I still argue that despite the fact that there is a shocking amount of inexperience and guys still learning how to be professional football players - there is more potential talent there than a lot of other rosters I am aware of. For instance whether or not Gilbert is any damn good remains to be seen, but dear me - find a 4th CB in the league with that many physical tools. This is the Colbert and Tomlin plan - find a player with freakish measurables, physical trait, and/or tools (AV, Jesse James, Coates, Bryant, Grimble, Dupree, Burns, Davis, Hargrave, Hamilton, Gilbert, Hawkins, Karlos Williams, Shazier, etc) and hope you can teach them to play NFL football in a competent manner while they are still on a cheap deal.

But Damn!, this is very well said. Perfectly executed, sir. Add in we are missing Byrant(The other NFL ready WR), and Heath Miller(who retired unexpectedly). We are prepared for greatness. You may want to get a seat on the front row for this. Greatness is coming.

Lady Steel
11-12-2016, 01:30 AM
Cowher ain't coming back

Everyone has a price. Everyone.

fansince'76
11-12-2016, 03:40 AM
And in Cowher's case, the price would be FAR too steep...

steelerdude15
11-12-2016, 02:21 PM
If we all know that the Steelers would never fire a coach midway through the season and they probably won't fire Mike either, why create threads like this?

tube517
11-12-2016, 03:05 PM
If we all know that the Steelers would never fire a coach midway through the season and they probably won't fire Mike either, why create threads like this?

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/stir-pot-666078.jpg