PDA

View Full Version : Who'd have thunk it? We have a real need at receiver!

zulater
11-07-2016, 02:22 PM
Something I'm beginning to notice. Ben is reluctant to throw to the middle of the field this year. Why is this? Because he doesn't trust his receivers. If you throw to the sidelines and there's a slight miscommunication with your receiver the most likely result is an incompletion. But if you're not on the same page with your receiver and you throw to the middle of the field there's more than likely going to be a defender or three in position to make a play on the ball.

He really misses Heath Miller and Martavis Bryant. No one's stepped up as the other wideout. It looked like Sammy Coates might be all-right, but since he busted and lacerated his finger he's been a zero. Wheaton should change his name to milk carton this year. Anyone know where the guy who caught 10 balls for over 200 yards in Seattle last season has disappeared to? :noidea: Maybe he struck on something late yesterday with Eli Rogers finally catching a few balls. This the guy that Tomlin wouldn't put on the field the week before for reasons unspecified by Tomlin. Seems as though Eli might be this years inhabitant of the dog house vacancy left over from Brandon Boykin, and Lance Moore the year before.

Anyway things will only get marginally better unless someone steps up and assumes the role of number 2 receiver on this team. And we also need to end the tight end rotation and decide who's best and keep them out there. Rotating mediocre tight ends to replace Ben's number one safety valve really is not helping things any.

Last thing. If Martavis Bryant manages to regain eligibility to play this game again, the thought the Steelers would turn him away because of past misdeeds would be beyond ludicrous! Ben should go pick him up at the airport and AB should carry his bags. He absolutely was the straw that stirred the drink as it turns out.

Steeldude
11-07-2016, 02:26 PM
They need a legitimate WR coach too.

zulater
11-07-2016, 02:28 PM
They need a legitimate WR coach too.

And a legitimate play caller too. Haley may be a passable OC(?) but he sure as hell leaves a lot to be desired calling plays. :doh:

Edman
11-07-2016, 03:23 PM
There's a reason why they were called the Killer B's. Bryant is one of them.

Markus Wheaton is who he is. He'll never be a #2.

DHB has heart, but can't catch.

Sammie Coates isn't there either.

Eli Rogers is a ways to go.

st33lersguy
11-07-2016, 03:36 PM
Another problem is green not seeing the field. He could have weathered the impact of Heath retiring and Bryant being a junkie, but he hasn't played either

86WARD
11-07-2016, 04:07 PM
Rogers is probably the second best WR on the active roster. I said it all summer...no one will replace Bryant...he's a special player. His idiocy is cost the team and his talent is missed.

teegre
11-07-2016, 04:22 PM
I see your point, Zu.

I think that a) BB misses Heath Miller a ton, and b) BB locks on to AB far too much. I saw at least two third downs, where BB had other receivers who were wide open, but opted to force the ball to AB (who was triple-covered). And... this is not the first game where I've seen this "locking on" occur.

st33lersguy
11-07-2016, 09:23 PM
Has anyone considered that the problem the past few weeks has been Ben's injury and the lack of offensive production on the road starts with Ben playing poorly on the road, and that that could have effect Bryant as well? Ben was leading the NFL in TD passes without Bryant the first 5 games. Plus let's not forget Ben and the offense has had stinkers on the road with Bryant on the field

Steel Peon
11-08-2016, 02:01 AM
We've had needs at WR since Hines left, and having a #1 isn't our problem.

zulater
11-08-2016, 03:43 AM
Has anyone considered that the problem the past few weeks has been Ben's injury and the lack of offensive production on the road starts with Ben playing poorly on the road, and that that could have effect Bryant as well? Ben was leading the NFL in TD passes without Bryant the first 5 games. Plus let's not forget Ben and the offense has had stinkers on the road with Bryant on the field

The passing game looked pretty sharp in Denver in last year's playoff game.

Steeldude
11-08-2016, 04:46 AM
And a legitimate play caller too. Haley may be a passable OC(?) but he sure as hell leaves a lot to be desired calling plays. :doh:

And perhaps a new HC. The poor game-preparation during the Tomlin has gotten old.

zulater
11-08-2016, 02:59 PM
And perhaps a new HC. The poor game-preparation during the Tomlin has gotten old.

Is there legitimate cause to fire Tomlin at this point? If this season plays out poorly I think that case could certainly be made. But I know and you know it will never even be discussed by the Steelers powers that be. Sad to say I think it's more important to the Steelers to maintain their record of not firing a coach since 1968. It's my opinion outside a complete tank job this year and next the earliest the Steelers would possibly consider firing Tomlin would be after the 18 season. The reason being that 2017 makes 50 seasons of the coaching triumptive of Noll- Cowher, to Tomlin. For some reason that is more important to the Steelers than cashing in Ben's last few seasons.

Last thing. Crazy thought of the day, imagine this Steeler team coached by Jim Harbaugh. I know he's a crazy SOB but I would bet anything he'd get the Steelers to a Super Bowl or two in a hurry.

Mojouw
11-08-2016, 04:25 PM
Is there legitimate cause to fire Tomlin at this point? If this season plays out poorly I think that case could certainly be made. But I know and you know it will never even be discussed by the Steelers powers that be. Sad to say I think it's more important to the Steelers to maintain their record of not firing a coach since 1968. It's my opinion outside a complete tank job this year and next the earliest the Steelers would possibly consider firing Tomlin would be after the 18 season. The reason being that 2017 makes 50 seasons of the coaching triumptive of Noll- Cowher, to Tomlin. For some reason that is more important to the Steelers than cashing in Ben's last few seasons.

Last thing. Crazy thought of the day, imagine this Steeler team coached by Jim Harbaugh. I know he's a crazy SOB but I would bet anything he'd get the Steelers to a Super Bowl or two in a hurry.

The same Harbaugh that lost a team in San Francisco? That one? Say what you will about Tomlin, and at this point, I am pretty much done defending him - but he has never lost a locker room and had an entire franchise quit on him the way that Harbaugh lost that 49'ers team.

fansince'76
11-08-2016, 04:29 PM
The same Harbaugh that lost a team in San Francisco? That one? Say what you will about Tomlin, and at this point, I am pretty much done defending him - but he has never lost a locker room and had an entire franchise quit on him the way that Harbaugh lost that 49'ers team.

Not to mention the dumpster fire he left in his wake...

zulater
11-08-2016, 04:45 PM

That team was built for the short term and he got the most out of them at their apex and then was more or less fired in a power struggle. And so how's that working out for the Niners? :coffee:

Look I know you or I have as much chance of succeeding Tomlin ( were he ever to get fired to begin with) as Harbaugh. I know he's a kooky son of a bitch and in many ways not likeable. ( sounds like Trump :chuckle: ) But damn the guy can coach! Look what he's done to Michigan in just his second year. That program was a dumpster fire when he walked in. Same thing with the Niners. They sucked forever and a day ( or at least for most of the time since the mid 90's) and he gets them to what was it 2 or 3 straight NFC title games with two pretty craptastic qb's. Yeah he wears out his welcome within 5 or 6 years, but that's all you'd need on this team with Ben getting on in NFL years.

Mojouw
11-08-2016, 05:07 PM
That team was built for the short term and he got the most out of them at their apex and then was more or less fired in a power struggle. And so how's that working out for the Niners? :coffee:

Look I know you or I have as much chance of succeeding Tomlin ( were he ever to get fired to begin with) as Harbaugh. I know he's a kooky son of a bitch and in many ways not likeable. ( sounds like Trump :chuckle: ) But damn the guy can coach! Look what he's done to Michigan in just his second year. That program was a dumpster fire when he walked in. Same thing with the Niners. They sucked forever and a day ( or at least for most of the time since the mid 90's) and he gets them to what was it 2 or 3 straight NFC title games with two pretty craptastic qb's. Yeah he wears out his welcome within 5 or 6 years, but that's all you'd need on this team with Ben getting on in NFL years.

I can kinda see that. The hired gun that comes in basically says SB or bust and damn the consequences on the backside of this whole thing. Jon Gruden 2.0?

- - - Updated - - -

Not to mention the dumpster fire he left in his wake...

Guys retired rather than play for that franchise. They don't even do that in Cleveland or Jacksonville!

st33lersguy
11-08-2016, 07:10 PM
Guys retired rather than play for that franchise. They don't even do that in Cleveland or Jacksonville!

They retired after Harbaugh got fired after somehow losing a power struggle to Trent Baalke

ALLD
11-08-2016, 07:13 PM
I don't think Tomlin will get fired, they may not renew his contract though.

86WARD
11-08-2016, 08:12 PM
I'd take Harbaugh over Tomlin in a split second. That 49ers team was a mess that Harbaugh straightened out for as long as he possibly could. That team was set up,for a disaster and as you can see...still is...

st33lersguy
11-08-2016, 08:54 PM
Harbaugh didn't destroy the 49ers, it was Trent Baalke and his ego who ran Harbaugh out of there and then destroyed the team

teegre
11-08-2016, 09:44 PM
Harbaugh is a great motivator... whose act wears thin.

The players at USD responded... at first. But, by the time that he left, they hated him.

The players at Stanford responded... at first. But, by the time that he left, they hated him.

The players in SanFran responded... at first. But, by the time that he left, they hated him.

The players at Michigan are responding... right now. But, by the time that he leaves, I'll wager that they will hate him.

zulater
11-08-2016, 11:11 PM
Harbaugh is a great motivator... whose act wears thin.

The players at USD responded... at first. But, by the time that he left, they hated him.

The players at Stanford responded... at first. But, by the time that he left, they hated him.

The players in SanFran responded... at first. But, by the time that he left, they hated him.

The players at Michigan are responding... right now. But, by the time that he leaves, I'll wager that they will hate him.

I would take him maximizing this current teams talent for the next 1-5 years and then going out the door hated by players and management alike. Because imo this team's apex would find them in another Super Bowl.

teegre
11-09-2016, 12:00 AM
I would take him maximizing this current teams talent for the next 1-5 years and then going out the door hated by players and management alike. Because imo this team's apex would find them in another Super Bowl.

I see your point. I do.

But, I also feel that Tomlin can get this team there. When the Tomlin-era Steelers are low, they are admittedly very low... but, when they are high, they are very high. Look at what they did last year in the playoffs: he had that team one fumble away from beating the SuperBowl champs.

I foresee getting into the playoffs, and making a run like the 2005 team (and/or like the 2010 Packers). Of course, admittedly, I'm the world's biggest optimist.

86WARD
11-09-2016, 08:49 AM
I don't see what Tomlin can do to get this team over the hump. Where are the positives?

Mojouw
11-12-2016, 10:38 AM
To circle back to the original idea, what about Wheaton? He has had some mystery shoulder injury all year. The NFL is a "what have you done lately" league. I think he will be much cheaper to sign than most of us thought. Would you resign Wheaton? What would your "ceiling" be?

Id be willing to go around 2 million per. Hopefully less.

steelerdude15
11-12-2016, 02:30 PM
To circle back to the original idea, what about Wheaton? He has had some mystery shoulder injury all year. The NFL is a "what have you done lately" league. I think he will be much cheaper to sign than most of us thought. Would you resign Wheaton? What would your "ceiling" be?

I'm not sure if we have to. If Eli continues to get better, he could be the slot receiver with Antonio and Marty on the outside. If I were to resign him, he'd be nothing more than a 3rd to 5th string receiver who could return kickoffs per 1 to 2 million per year.

st33lersguy
11-12-2016, 03:01 PM
Let's see if Ladarius can help the offense since it's looking more like possibly he might actually play

tube517
11-12-2016, 03:07 PM
Let's see if Ladarius can help the offense since it's looking more like possibly he might actually play

He's been activated. Bye bye LJ Fort.

Pittsburgh SteelersVerified account ‏@steelers 7m7 minutes ago
We have activated TE Ladarius Green from the Reserve/PUP List to the active roster and released LB L.J. Fort.

📃 | http://stele.rs/ZJyCyo

Hawkman
11-12-2016, 03:54 PM
He's been activated. Bye bye LJ Fort.

Pittsburgh SteelersVerified account ‏@steelers 7m7 minutes ago
We have activated TE Ladarius Green from the Reserve/PUP List to the active roster and released LB L.J. Fort.

�� | http://stele.rs/ZJyCyo

If nothing else, Green could be a shot in the arm, and Dallas has no tape on him.

86WARD
11-13-2016, 08:32 AM

I might do that but lean more towards that being a waste of money. I may sign and trade him but with Brown, Bryant, Rogers, Coates...where's Wheaton fit in? Not to mention DHB...not sure of his status for 2017. Even if Bryant were to never come back...is there room for Wheaton?

Born2Steel
11-13-2016, 10:32 AM
I might do that but lean more towards that being a waste of money. I may sign and trade him but with Brown, Bryant, Rogers, Coates...where's Wheaton fit in? Not to mention DHB...not sure of his status for 2017. Even if Bryant were to never come back...is there room for Wheaton?

Wheaton has indeed fallen behind those guys this season but due to injury. Right now, we have AB that we can count on at WR though. I like to expect the return of Bryant but one more infraction and he could be gone for good. Not ready to trust him yet. Coates has shown upside, and an ability to drop sure catches, so he can't be trusted as #2 at this time either. I don't know Rogers well enough to make that call honestly. I think Wheaton has to be given another contract. And if it's on the cheap side due to his 'injury' this year, then better for us. Wheaton has not shown he can be the #2 either, but Ben trusts him to be where he's supposed to be in his routes, which is very important in Haley's offense.

Landry Jones will be gone, IMO. If Bryant comes back, along with DHB and Coates, we could decide to keep Rogers or one of the other 'young guys' and let Wheaton walk. I don't think it will be a money issue to re-sign him though. Both POVs make sense. And to your question, I have no idea where Wheaton fits on this team. But I'm not sure where Coates fits either.

Mojouw
11-13-2016, 01:10 PM
Interesting points from everyone.

I see it that after AB, the entire WR depth chart is just question marks. At least we know Wheaton can kinda sorta get open and catch in the NFL. Bryant can be dominant, but he is one stupid decision away from never playing again. Coates - well who the hell really knows. DHB - what is the injury? Rogers - maybe. But he is small and has no track record.

My only thinking is assuming Wheaton would take a low offer for a couple of years, it would insulate the Steelers at the position group and ensure they don't have to rely on a rookie making the bottom of the depth chart in 2017. AB/BRyant/WHeaton/Coates/Rogers - that's a pretty good grouping.

steelerdude15
11-13-2016, 01:27 PM
Interesting points from everyone.

I see it that after AB, the entire WR depth chart is just question marks. At least we know Wheaton can kinda sorta get open and catch in the NFL. Bryant can be dominant, but he is one stupid decision away from never playing again. Coates - well who the hell really knows. DHB - what is the injury? Rogers - maybe. But he is small and has no track record.

My only thinking is assuming Wheaton would take a low offer for a couple of years, it would insulate the Steelers at the position group and ensure they don't have to rely on a rookie making the bottom of the depth chart in 2017. AB/BRyant/WHeaton/Coates/Rogers - that's a pretty good grouping.

Mike said that Hey-Bey's injury was a mid foot sprain I believe.

When it comes to 2017, the group could be solid again depending on three simple things, injuries, suspensions, and development of the younger receivers. Marty needs to stop smoking (which he states he has), Markus, Sammie, and Eli need to stay healthy, and Eli and Sammie need to continue to develop. They need to improve their routes and Sammie needs to work with the jug machine so he can catch better.