PDA

View Full Version : Steelers WR Darrius Heyward-Bey has saved most of his career earnings thanks to mother

tube517
11-03-2016, 07:29 PM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17964162/pittsburgh-steelers-wr-darrius-heyward-bey-saved-most-career-earnings-thanks-mother

Off the field, Heyward-Bey has saved most of his career earnings of about $35 million, largely from his rookie contract as the No. 7 overall pick in the 2009 NFL draft.

More than eight years after signing that rookie deal, Heyward-Bey, 29, gives himself a monthly allowance that he and his mother configured. Though he won't disclose exact figures, he assures that pot keeps growing because he doesn't spend much of that money.

salamander
11-03-2016, 08:35 PM
Considering most of these guys blow through their money, kudos to DHB for being responsible.

tube517
11-04-2016, 06:14 AM
http://i.quoteaddicts.com/media/q4/209818.png

SteelerFanInStl
11-04-2016, 07:29 AM
Considering most of these guys blow through their money, kudos to DHB for being responsible.

Yes, definitely. He may not have ever lived up to his draft position but he's been a solid player and when he's done with football, he'll be set for life.

Props to his mom for teaching him how to be responsible.

Born2Steel
11-04-2016, 07:58 AM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17964162/pittsburgh-steelers-wr-darrius-heyward-bey-saved-most-career-earnings-thanks-mother

From football or "growing pot"? :rofl2:

" he assures that pot keeps growing because he doesn't spend much of that money. "

Nadroj 20
11-04-2016, 09:22 AM
This is huge for an individual. Most people do not understand this concept of setting themselves up financially.

Crow-Magnon
11-05-2016, 04:59 AM
One thing is for sure. Sounds like he has one helluva mom.

He's a &@%# Steeler lol, but I always wish ex-Terps well. Used to see many more of them in the NFL than lately.

silver & black
11-05-2016, 08:07 AM
I wish he would have worked out for us. I always liked him, and I still do. Unfortunately, the situation at the time was not favorable for anyone on that team...lol. Good luck to him, and great job by his mother! These are the kind of things I'd like to read a lot more of.

steelerdude15
11-05-2016, 10:52 AM
This is always great to hear. I think 75% - 77% percent of players are broke within 5 years after retiring.

Steel Peon
11-05-2016, 03:32 PM
that pot keeps growing because he doesn't spend much of that money

I was thinking the same thing, and was going to say something like "So, he doesn't smoke it all, therefore keeping a steady stock of crops, and has lots left to sell?"

teegre
11-05-2016, 03:55 PM
Parenting matters.

My dad set me up with a financial planner when I was 16. I saved my IRAs for a good two decades, and now, I'm set.

Story:
In psych class, in college, the professor asks the class of 500 people if they understand "delayed gratification". Everyone says they do; so, he asks: "Anyone with a retirement account, please, raise your hand." Mine was the only hand up... to which the professor says: "He understands delayed gratification; the rest of you do not."

Lady Steel
11-05-2016, 07:35 PM
Mama knows best.

86WARD
11-06-2016, 06:48 AM
Parenting matters.

My dad set me up with a financial planner when I was 16. I saved my IRAs for a good two decades, and now, I'm set.

Story:
In psych class, in college, the professor asks the class of 500 people if they understand "delayed gratification". Everyone says they do; so, he asks: "Anyone with a retirement account, please, raise your hand." Mine was the only hand up... to which the professor says: "He understands delayed gratification; the rest of you do not."

Good lesson teegre.