PDA

View Full Version : Steelers set to have historic amounts of salary cap space in 2017

tube517
10-30-2016, 07:01 PM
Bye week. All right you cap wizards. Does this sound correct?

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2016/10/28/steelers-set-to-have-historic-amounts-of-salary-cap-space-in-2017/

2017 Steeler Free agents:

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2016/10/28/leveon-bell-tops-long-list-of-steelers-2017-free-agents/

teegre
10-30-2016, 08:10 PM
Bye week. All right you cap wizards. Does this sound correct?

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2016/10/28/steelers-set-to-have-historic-amounts-of-salary-cap-space-in-2017/

2017 Steeler Free agents:

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2016/10/28/leveon-bell-tops-long-list-of-steelers-2017-free-agents/

1. Sign AB to a record-setting, life-long contract: 6 years, $90 million.

2. Sign Tuitt ASAP.

3. Sign the best free agent OLB. (I have no clue who that would be.)

4. Extend everyone possible (while the money is there). Not back-ended contracts, but rather front-loaded contracts (making it easy to cut a player in the final few years of those deals).

Mojouw
10-30-2016, 08:12 PM
Bell, Brown, AV, Timmons, backup RB, a WR, Cockrell, and a LB should est that up with an astonishing quickness!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salamander
10-30-2016, 08:34 PM
My sentiments exactly on what's already been said as to who to re-sign. If cap space permits, I definitely wouldn't mind seeing a non-Steelers type big name signing for the defense next year.

Craic
10-30-2016, 08:46 PM
Wait a second, I thought the cap was perennially mismanaged. :huh:

teegre
10-30-2016, 10:18 PM
I might be wrong, but I just looked it up, and there is indeed a top-tier OLB available next off-season:
Von Miller
:pray:
He would cost $22-$25million/season, but he might be worth it.

That said, $12 million/year for Chandler Jones is far more reasonable.

Psycho Ward 86
10-30-2016, 11:26 PM
I might be wrong, but I just looked it up, and there is indeed a top-tier OLB available next off-season:
Von Miller
:pray:
He would cost $22-$25million/season, but he might be worth it.

That said, $12 million/year for Chandler Jones is far more reasonable.

from a value standpoint DAMN. Chandler Jones would be a phenomenal pick up. Such an underrated player.

At this point in Ben's career, i would totally destroy our cap to get Von as an option.

Steel Peon
10-31-2016, 03:41 AM
Sign the best free agent OLB. Von Miller would cost $22-$25million/season, but he might be worth it. That said, $12 million/year for Chandler Jones is far more reasonable.

All this talk makes me appreciate what a steal James Farrior ended up being as a FA (even though he wasn't an OLB), and what a total lightning strike James Harrison was. It's too bad as young as Woodley was, he wasn't capable of hanging in there for the long run, which left us hoping for a great draft or FA signing to fill the void, neither of which has happened yet. That being said, $12 mil/yr sounds much more digestible to me, and I seriously doubt the Rooneys would approve any LB above $20 mil........I like Von Miller though.

Mojouw
10-31-2016, 10:58 AM
The FA pass rusher idea almost has to happen IF the Steelers want any "instant" pass rush juice. Even the highest rated rookie edge rusher in the class is going to take 1-2 seasons to impact. Jarvis Jones or Moats is what a middling FA signing would get you in terms of production - so - that means a BIG $$$ signing OR status quo for 2017 at pass rush.

So which scenario do folks like better:

1. Draft pick at edge rusher and little impact in 2017
2. $$$ at edge rusher in 2017 and a bigger impact?

I personally, want #2 to happen, but don't see it. It would be basically a 3rd contract situation with either Miller or Chandler Jones and a team may be paying largely for past production, although they are both like 27 so it should be okay. Additionally, where does the money come from? Timmons contract gets you about 50% of the way there. Do they have another $9 million in cap space? If you pay an edge rusher 18-20 million, how do you go to AB and Bell and say, "well, we certainly aren't paying you more than $8 million per."

I could go on. But I think the pass rush will be Bud Dupree and a draft pick next year. Man, oh, man. Dupree better be good.

Rotorhead
10-31-2016, 12:20 PM
Von signed with the Broncos this year, he is not going to be available. It was big news here in Denver as he was not going to play under a tag. I certainly hope we can pick up an top tier edge rusher in FA this off season. That would put next year on the map for a ring also.

86WARD
10-31-2016, 01:34 PM
No need to waste money on Timmons.

86WARD
10-31-2016, 01:35 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161031/94988454b447ad7849188569d4abc27c.png

steelreserve
10-31-2016, 03:00 PM
That's not a record amount of cap space. That's our cap space before re-signing or replacing anyone whose contract is up. So it's more like we have $5M or $10M of cap space, if that.

It helps that we whiffed on Jones and don't have to earmark $12 million for him. Well, it helps our cap situation anyway.

Rotorhead
10-31-2016, 04:24 PM
Just FYI on Von Miller's contract this year from Sportrac:

Von Miller signed a 6 year, $114,500,000 contract with the Denver Broncos, including a $17,000,000 signing bonus, $70,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $19,083,333. In 2016, Miller will earn a base salary of $2,000,000, a signing bonus of $17,000,000, a roster bonus of $6,000,000 and a incentive bonus of $100,000. Miller has a cap hit of $11,500,000 while his dead money value is $27,900,000.

If we could have $10m, then we could sign an upper tier OLB to bookend Dupree.

Mojouw
10-31-2016, 05:15 PM
Just FYI on Von Miller's contract this year from Sportrac:

Von Miller signed a 6 year, $114,500,000 contract with the Denver Broncos, including a $17,000,000 signing bonus, $70,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $19,083,333. In 2016, Miller will earn a base salary of $2,000,000, a signing bonus of $17,000,000, a roster bonus of $6,000,000 and a incentive bonus of $100,000. Miller has a cap hit of $11,500,000 while his dead money value is $27,900,000.

If we could have $10m, then we could sign an upper tier OLB to bookend Dupree.

Problem is that outside of Von Miller, who is off the market, that leaves Chandler Jones as the only current projected 2017 free agent that is a clear upgrade over Jarvis Jones. Maybe Melvin Ingram. That's it.

The more I think about it, the more I see Jarvis back on a cheap deal and a high pick spent on someone to rush the passer.

Psycho Ward 86
10-31-2016, 11:48 PM
Problem is that outside of Von Miller, who is off the market, that leaves Chandler Jones as the only current projected 2017 free agent that is a clear upgrade over Jarvis Jones. Maybe Melvin Ingram. That's it.

The more I think about it, the more I see Jarvis back on a cheap deal and a high pick spent on someone to rush the passer.

maybe Melvin Ingram? Melvin Ingram is pretty damn good actually. So is Nick Perry, who has really elevated his game this season. Those 2, along with Chandler Jones are the only ones I would consider from the free agent market

Steeldude
11-01-2016, 06:24 AM
Bell, Brown, AV, Timmons, backup RB, a WR, Cockrell, and a LB should est that up with an astonishing quickness!!!

Why re-sign Timmons? Antonio Brown is already under contract.

The Steelers might not want to sign Bell if he is caught doing drugs again. A year long ban this time. I think they will franchise tag him.

Bryant is coming back. AV and Cockrell will be cheap. Neither has much negotiating leverage.

Hopefully they don't waste cap money by re-signing Jarvis Jones.

teegre
11-01-2016, 12:16 PM
Why re-sign Timmons?

Alas, the answer is: for when Shazier gets injured.

Steeldude
11-01-2016, 12:22 PM
Alas, the answer is: for when Shazier gets injured.

That's too expensive, IMO. I would rather go with Fort.

Mojouw
11-01-2016, 01:20 PM
Melvin Ingram has had one good year. I'm not certain anyone would should give him big money for the same reasons that no one wanted to give Worilds big $$$. Nick Perry is basically the Packers version of Jarvis Jones.

All of this is just my opinion and thinking - by no means do I think I'm right but here is how I get to the idea that there is no cap space:

AB needs resigned before he hits the open market. If they don't do it this off-season he is as good as gone.
Even with AB, Bryant, Coates, Rogers, and DHB - you still could use an experienced WR (assuming here that Wheaton leaves). The lack of another experienced WR has been pretty bad so far this year.
AV has leverage. He is a competent LT. There are vanishingly few of those on the market. How much do you think the Vikings would pay right now?
Timmons for cheap is my thought.
Important to remember that Bell did not advance in the substance abuse program. In other words, rather than admit they were wrong, the NFL just "held" Bell at the 4 game level.

teegre
11-01-2016, 02:20 PM
Melvin Ingram has had one good year. I'm not certain anyone would should give him big money for the same reasons that no one wanted to give Worilds big $$$.

There has been a whole lot of discussion about whether the Bolts will keep Ingram or not. He was injured, injured again, and then injured a third time.

Last season, he did indeed have 10.5 sacks, but the frustration among Chargers fans is that Ingram does not show up in every game. On one play, he flashes brilliance (12th overall pick worthy) and the very next play, he looks like he's going through the motions.

If he plays up to his full potential (and stays healthy), he'd be a good free agent signing. But, my fear is that once he gets paid, the guy who is just "going through the motions" will be present 24/7 (with no sign of the "12th overall worhty" guy).

Mojouw
11-01-2016, 06:28 PM
There has been a whole lot of discussion about whether the Bolts will keep Ingram or not. He was injured, injured again, and then injured a third time.

Last season, he did indeed have 10.5 sacks, but the frustration among Chargers fans is that Ingram does not show up in every game. On one play, he flashes brilliance (12th overall pick worthy) and the very next play, he looks like he's going through the motions.

If he plays up to his full potential (and stays healthy), he'd be a good free agent signing. But, my fear is that once he gets paid, the guy who is just "going through the motions" will be present 24/7 (with no sign of the "12th overall worhty" guy).

That sounds like the kinda signing that can really burn s team

teegre
11-02-2016, 06:37 AM
Chandler Jones will undoubtedly be re-signed. Nick Perry is barely better than Jarvis Jones. And, I'm leery of Melvin Ingram.

So... in no particular order, here are some R1 OLBs to keep an eye on:

--Taco Charlton, Michigan (6'6", 270)
--Myles Garrett, Texas A&M (6'5", 260)
--Derek Barnett, Tennessee (6'3", 255)
--Carl Lawson, Auburn (6'2", 250)
--Dawuane Smoot, Illinois (6'3", 250)
--Tim Williams, Alabama (6'4", 250)

86WARD
11-02-2016, 07:41 AM
Wonder if They tried to move Wheaton yesterday...Philadelphia would've been a logical landing spot.

Mojouw
11-02-2016, 10:37 AM
Chandler Jones will undoubtedly be re-signed. Nick Perry is barely better than Jarvis Jones. And, I'm leery of Melvin Ingram.

So... in no particular order, here are some R1 OLBs to keep an eye on:

--Taco Charlton, Michigan (6'6", 270)
--Myles Garrett, Texas A&M (6'5", 260)
--Derek Barnett, Tennessee (6'3", 255)
--Carl Lawson, Auburn (6'2", 250)
--Dawuane Smoot, Illinois (6'3", 250)
--Tim Williams, Alabama (6'4", 250)

I don't know if he will come out this year and I would like to see what other's opinion of him is - but TJ Watt has been an absolute holy terror for UW this season. Converted TE with only the rudimentary knowledge of the OLB position, but he has been unblockable by most of the Big 10. Not sure if he is as good as his brother, but...

Psycho Ward 86
11-02-2016, 07:21 PM

hmm i didnt know ingram was so injury prone. i stand by nick perry and chandler jones as targets though. Perry is a whole hell of a lot better than Jarvis Jones, i dont know what games you guys are watching

Mojouw
11-02-2016, 07:50 PM
hmm i didnt know ingram was so injury prone. i stand by nick perry and chandler jones as targets though. Perry is a whole hell of a lot better than Jarvis Jones, i dont know what games you guys are watching

Perry is a bit of a better run defender than Jones and that's about it. In fact, Jones may have closed that gap this year. Neither guy can rush the passer off the edge. Neither guy is worth more than about 3.5-5 million per year.

SteelerFanInStl
11-02-2016, 08:27 PM

I agree. Perry is a lot better than Jones. He's got 5.5 sacks in 7 games this year.

Psycho Ward 86
11-02-2016, 11:02 PM
yeah i mean Mojouw and I are both from WI it looks like, pretty much any packer fan i know will vouch for the guy

Mojouw
11-02-2016, 11:58 PM
yeah i mean Mojouw and I are both from WI it looks like, pretty much any packer fan i know will vouch for the guy

I haven't seen much of the Pack this year. But in previous years, Perry was invisible. In fact, he was Jarvis Jones to Julius Peppers version of James Harrison. Quick check of the snap totals and it seems that Perry has come on this year. But, the Pack almost let him walk to the Jets last year. Got him back for $5 million. Anyone want to gamble on a guy who was viewed as a 1st Round bust as an edge rusher as recently as 6 months ago for the 5-10 million per year over 3+ years its going to take to sign him in the off-season?

I mean, the best case scenario with Perry is that he is a bit of a late bloomer and now he is Jason Worilds. Remember when no one wanted to pay him?

I could be way wrong, like I said I have not seen much of 2016 Perry. But 2012-2015 Perry was not a player who would come in as a FA and fix an anemic pass rush.

teegre
11-03-2016, 08:20 AM
I don't know if he will come out this year and I would like to see what other's opinion of him is - but TJ Watt has been an absolute holy terror for UW this season. Converted TE with only the rudimentary knowledge of the OLB position, but he has been unblockable by most of the Big 10. Not sure if he is as good as his brother, but...

I think that he'll wait until the 2018 draft. He was injured in back-to-back years, and then played TE for a year. With only one year as an OLB under his belt, he might opt to wait...

...or, he might come out in 2017 (due to him having very good year).

Either way, Yes, he's another option.

Rara
11-06-2016, 08:59 AM
1. Sign AB to a record-setting, life-long contract: 6 years, $90 million.

2. Sign Tuitt ASAP.

3. Sign the best free agent OLB. (I have no clue who that would be.)

4. Extend everyone possible (while the money is there). Not back-ended contracts, but rather front-loaded contracts (making it easy to cut a player in the final few years of those deals).

Not sure I'm seeing many upgrades...re-sign with what we have. They know the system more than all the free agents (Minus Woodley...he's washed up)

teegre
11-10-2016, 10:29 PM
Not sure I'm seeing many upgrades...re-sign with what we have. They know the system more than all the free agents (Minus Woodley...he's washed up)

After watching tonight's Ravens-Browns game, I'd like to add:
Jamie Collins
He's an ILB, but the Browns lined him up at OLB quite often, and he excelled there.

That said, the rumor is that the Taperiots traded him, because he wants $18-$20 million per season.

teegre
11-11-2016, 12:23 AM
Speaking of Jamie Collins and Chandler Jones...

Four years ago, over at SF, I suggested this line of thinking: re-sign the offensive superstars (AB, Pouncey, BB) and focus on drafting defensive players... whom you allow to leave after their rookie seasons.

My rationale was that defenders wear themselves out quickly (by ramming their heads into other players). So, allow them to play out their rookie contract, let them walk, and use the comp picks to replace them (with cheaper, younger defenders). Belichick went a step further, by trading those defenders in the final year of their rookie contract.

So... forget those high-priced free agents. Here are ten* possible R1 OLBs:

Myles Garrett, OLB, Texas A&M
Taco Charlton, OLB, Michigan
Charles Harris, OLB, Missouri
Derek Barnett, OLB, Tennessee
Carl Lawson, OLB, Auburn
Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama
Ryan Anderson, OLB, Alabama
Dawaune Smoot, OLB, Illinois
Deatrich Wise, OLB, Arkansas
*TJ Watt, OLB, Wisconsin

BlackAndGold
11-11-2016, 01:02 AM
I like Tim Williams, but seems more like just a 3rd down pass rusher at the moment. Carl Lawson would be my pick. he has some injury history, but he is very talented.

Carl Lawson round 1.

Ejuan Price, Pitt, round 4-5

Born2Steel
11-11-2016, 09:01 PM
Speaking of Jamie Collins and Chandler Jones...

Four years ago, over at SF, I suggested this line of thinking: re-sign the offensive superstars (AB, Pouncey, BB) and focus on drafting defensive players... whom you allow to leave after their rookie seasons.

My rationale was that defenders wear themselves out quickly (by ramming their heads into other players). So, allow them to play out their rookie contract, let them walk, and use the comp picks to replace them (with cheaper, younger defenders). Belichick went a step further, by trading those defenders in the final year of their rookie contract.

So... forget those high-priced free agents. Here are ten* possible R1 OLBs:

Myles Garrett, OLB, Texas A&M
Taco Charlton, OLB, Michigan
Charles Harris, OLB, Missouri
Derek Barnett, OLB, Tennessee
Carl Lawson, OLB, Auburn
Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama
Ryan Anderson, OLB, Alabama
Dawaune Smoot, OLB, Illinois
Deatrich Wise, OLB, Arkansas
*TJ Watt, OLB, Wisconsin

I don't know anything about the players in this up coming draft. But which of those guys you listed will be there at pick #32?

SteelerFanInStl
11-12-2016, 09:28 AM
After watching tonight's Ravens-Browns game, I'd like to add:
Jamie Collins
He's an ILB, but the Browns lined him up at OLB quite often, and he excelled there.

That said, the rumor is that the Taperiots traded him, because he wants $18-$20 million per season.

Collins won't be cheap but he's a special player. Size and speed to play in coverage. He was on OLB for the Pats before they moved him inside this year.

He has said that he didn't ask for that much $$$ but I'm sure that he can't wait to hit the FA market. Someone will pay him a lot.