PDA

View Full Version : Spending the summer in the second-poorest city in America

steelpinstripe87
09-12-2010, 05:10 PM
I spent this summer in Buffalo, in order to get away from home. I will admit, I'm on government assistance (SSI), which is how I was able to swing this. I stayed in my brother's apartment while he was home working for a campground. I went to the zoo, the naval park, I took a tour of City Hall, ate lunch in Buffalo Place, went to church on my own (yay!)...basically acted like a tourist the whole summer. But some of the stuff this summer...a lot of it, actually...I know this is happening in cities all over, but it's the first time I've ever seen it first hand. Taking the 5 bus through the West Side headed downtown, I'd see people living in conditions that they shouldn't have to. And elsewhere, people sleeping in the park across from the bus station. A woman who sleeps in bus shelters up and down Delaware Avenue, because she can't afford a place to live. People begging for change in Lafayette Square. And then the violence. People get shot on Grant Street while waiting to catch the 3 bus. Two weeks before I left, 4 people were shot and killed, 4 more wounded, at the City Grill on Main Street. 5 standoffs with police, including a SWAT team in the West Side. Just the other day, someone was shot and killed in broad daylight on East Ferry Street. My own church on Hertel Avenue, Renovation Church, is a short distance from the West Side - in fact, cops guard it every Sunday.

I wanted to stay, but couldn't, because the cheapest apartments I found in a place where I could actually live (accessible to buses, etc) are $800. I don't make that a month, and even with a minimum wage job, I wouldn't be able to afford that. Right now, I'm home saving money and scouring the Net for apartments that I could actually afford, and if a state job doesn't come up elsewhere, I'm heading back. I've put my name in at hospitals in the area (to do reception, registration, that sort of thing), so that I might be able to be less picky in terms of how much I have to pay for rent. The thing is, I want to do something. In the case of Buffalo, especially, it's up to the people to do something, because the city will do nothing. A few weeks back, they put on the Wing Festival in Niagara Square, while two streets away, a man begged for change in Lafayette Square. Meanwhile, people in the suburbs - Amherst, Tonawanda, Cheektowaga - turn their noses up to Buffalo itself, and the city turns its back. People are angry, scared, frustrated, and they trust no one. Things will get better, right? They have to. But right now, I just thinking, so much for the pursuit of happiness.

ALLD
09-12-2010, 05:38 PM
"Buffalo sucks"

-Miami Dolphins

steelerdude15
09-12-2010, 08:26 PM
I know Buffalo was considered one of the most depressing cities in the country, but I didn't know it was that bad. I've never been there nor seen pictures of Buffalo, but it sounds like lovely Cleveland. :heh: Last time I checked, people are leaving Buffalo too, just imagine if the Bills leave.

BPS3akaWirels3
09-12-2010, 08:33 PM
I spent this summer in Buffalo, in order to get away from home. I will admit, I'm on government assistance (SSI), which is how I was able to swing this. I stayed in my brother's apartment while he was home working for a campground. I went to the zoo, the naval park, I took a tour of City Hall, ate lunch in Buffalo Place, went to church on my own (yay!)...basically acted like a tourist the whole summer. But some of the stuff this summer...a lot of it, actually...I know this is happening in cities all over, but it's the first time I've ever seen it first hand. Taking the 5 bus through the West Side headed downtown, I'd see people living in conditions that they shouldn't have to. And elsewhere, people sleeping in the park across from the bus station. A woman who sleeps in bus shelters up and down Delaware Avenue, because she can't afford a place to live. People begging for change in Lafayette Square. And then the violence. People get shot on Grant Street while waiting to catch the 3 bus. Two weeks before I left, 4 people were shot and killed, 4 more wounded, at the City Grill on Main Street. 5 standoffs with police, including a SWAT team in the West Side. Just the other day, someone was shot and killed in broad daylight on East Ferry Street. My own church on Hertel Avenue, Renovation Church, is a short distance from the West Side - in fact, cops guard it every Sunday.

I wanted to stay, but couldn't, because the cheapest apartments I found in a place where I could actually live (accessible to buses, etc) are $800. I don't make that a month, and even with a minimum wage job, I wouldn't be able to afford that. Right now, I'm home saving money and scouring the Net for apartments that I could actually afford, and if a state job doesn't come up elsewhere, I'm heading back. I've put my name in at hospitals in the area (to do reception, registration, that sort of thing), so that I might be able to be less picky in terms of how much I have to pay for rent. The thing is, I want to do something. In the case of Buffalo, especially, it's up to the people to do something, because the city will do nothing. A few weeks back, they put on the Wing Festival in Niagara Square, while two streets away, a man begged for change in Lafayette Square. Meanwhile, people in the suburbs - Amherst, Tonawanda, Cheektowaga - turn their noses up to Buffalo itself, and the city turns its back. People are angry, scared, frustrated, and they trust no one. Things will get better, right? They have to. But right now, I just thinking, so much for the pursuit of happiness.

Try staying in Baltimore for a weekend.. I'll take Buffalo for a Summer.. Check these stats..

http://essentials.baltimoresun.com/micro_sun/homicides/

http://data.baltimoresun.com/crime/baltimore_county/

st33lersguy
09-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Liberal big government policies at work

X-Terminator
09-12-2010, 09:41 PM
I've been to Buffalo many times - I have family there and dated a girl from there. So I know all about how bad it is. If you want an example of how to kill a city, Buffalo is a good place to look. High taxes across the board forcing businesses to the suburbs or out of the region entirely. Population takes a nosedive because there's no jobs. It's basically Detroit Lite. It's a shame too, because for the most part the people are nice, but far too many of them have no hope, and the local politicians don't give a shit.

steelpinstripe87
09-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Downtown Buffalo - Buffalo Place and Niagara Square - are gorgeous. But that's where all the money is. The courthouse is there, all the big bank branches are there. The rest of the city is going, however. West and east sides toward the south, especially. The city's bragging about how housing is affordable - it totally isn't. Even for people who own their houses, taxes are insanely high. Some are having to choose between putting a roof over their head or food on the table. All the people who can afford to, yeah, they're leaving. The thing is, leaving isn't going to solve anything. "Staying away from the riff-raff," as someone put it to me, isn't going to solve anything. People ask, what can be done, well, Renovation Church on Hertel Ave is giving kids a place to go after school. Tutoring, help with homework, that sort of thing. It's a start.

I've heard Baltimore's also pretty bad - never been there, though (with the exception of passing Camden Yards on my way to DC). For anyone who may not know or is wondering - Buffalo's the second poorest...Detroit's the first.

far too many of them have no hope, and the local politicians don't give a shit.

THIS. The guy I mentioned who begs for change in Lafayette Square - his name's Broderick, I'd give him something whenever I saw him, if I had it, and I asked him what I could do. He said, "There's nothing you can do." Meanwhile, two blocks away, they're throwing a party and taste-testing Buffalo wings in front of City Hall. The woman on Delaware Avenue that I saw - she's on SSI, like me, and has had to choose between being homeless and going hungry. She elected to put food in her mouth as opposed to a roof over her head. Nobody should have to make a choice like that.

Devilsdancefloor
09-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Sad to say, but in most big cities are like what you are describing Indy is getting REALLY bad. I love going to blackhawks games, but the united center on game days are a haven for the homeless and a lot of violence happens around there during games. I always stop to talk to the folks give'em something and try to treat them like a human for a few minutes. What is sad i am sure everyone gets a bit callus, but for the most part most of the locals just walk by like they are not even there. Last game i went to we stopped at McD's and bought 20 cheeseburgers and fries and gave them to the folks. So i know at least that night they ate. Most of them are "bums" and it is SSSSSOOOO damn cold in the winter in chicago i often wonder why there isnt more bumcicles found dead. I have faith we as a country can turn things around. I hope you find a hjob and a cheap safe apt good luck!

X-Terminator
09-13-2010, 12:04 AM
Downtown Buffalo - Buffalo Place and Niagara Square - are gorgeous. But that's where all the money is. The courthouse is there, all the big bank branches are there. The rest of the city is going, however. West and east sides toward the south, especially. The city's bragging about how housing is affordable - it totally isn't. Even for people who own their houses, taxes are insanely high. Some are having to choose between putting a roof over their head or food on the table. All the people who can afford to, yeah, they're leaving. The thing is, leaving isn't going to solve anything. "Staying away from the riff-raff," as someone put it to me, isn't going to solve anything. People ask, what can be done, well, Renovation Church on Hertel Ave is giving kids a place to go after school. Tutoring, help with homework, that sort of thing. It's a start.

I might have passed that church before - the girl I used to date lives on Breckinridge St, which isn't far from Hertel Ave, and before that she lived a couple blocks away from the Target on Delaware. When I was there regularly back in 2001-02, that area was pretty nice, and I didn't think it was bad when I was there for the Winter Classic 3 years ago. East Buffalo, however, I avoided like the plague, even though my family lives there. The one time I was there, I wanted to get the hell out of there ASAP. It looked like what South Central LA and Compton must look like. I spent most of my time in North Buffalo, Kenmore and Amherst.

I've heard Baltimore's also pretty bad - never been there, though (with the exception of passing Camden Yards on my way to DC). For anyone who may not know or is wondering - Buffalo's the second poorest...Detroit's the first.Interesting how both of those cities border Canada, and if you cross the border into Windsor and Ft. Erie/Niagara Falls, respectively, it's like night and day, though I've heard Windsor is getting pretty crappy in some areas.

I know one thing, though - as much as I may complain about the City of Pittsburgh, compared to Buffalo and Detroit, it may as well be New York City. They are putting a lot of money into getting rid of the blight, and not just downtown. Sure, there are still problem areas, but at least the city is thriving somewhat, and in spite of the idiots running it.

Sad to say, but in most big cities are like what you are describing Indy is getting REALLY bad. I love going to blackhawks games, but the united center on game days are a haven for the homeless and a lot of violence happens around there during games. I always stop to talk to the folks give'em something and try to treat them like a human for a few minutes. What is sad i am sure everyone gets a bit callus, but for the most part most of the locals just walk by like they are not even there. Last game i went to we stopped at McD's and bought 20 cheeseburgers and fries and gave them to the folks. So i know at least that night they ate. Most of them are "bums" and it is SSSSSOOOO damn cold in the winter in chicago i often wonder why there isnt more bumcicles found dead. I have faith we as a country can turn things around. I hope you find a hjob and a cheap safe apt good luck!

Problem is, it's come out that a lot of these "bums" are professional panhandlers, have nice houses and drive nice cars. There's one here in Pittsburgh who said she makes over $1000 a week from pandhandling, and it's all tax-free. I know all of them aren't like that, but it does cause people to think twice before giving them anything.

SteelerEmpire
09-13-2010, 08:40 AM
$800 was the cheapest ? WOW. You can get a nice place in a "very" quiet neighborhood with all kinds of stores and schools in walking distance in Oklahoma City for around $300 a month and you pay electric. The state will pay 4 or 5 months of that electric bill and charities will pay about 2 more months... so you're looking at paying around 6 months of electric a year. And there are a LOT of Steelers fans down here...lol... Gee... living on those 'big states' just ain't worth it... I use Cali, Florida, Texas, NY, Illinois, Hawaii, etc... only for vacations...

Vis
09-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Go to Detroit for vacation

LLT
09-13-2010, 10:00 AM
steelpinstripe87,

Thank you for a nice and sincere "wake-up-call" post.

It is so easy to forget that while some of us have it so good, other Americans are struggling. We all have to keep in mind that everything the government touches turns to crap..and if there is going to be any REAL change in this country it is going to have to be done at a personal level.

A) a lady that my wife met, fixed up her basement and build three new bedrooms and a living area. She has been taking in homeless teenagers for over 15 years. She has a few rules...Help out...get good grades...no drugs/alcohol...be respectful.

B) A family from our church opened a food pantry. He has a LARGE garden in the back and takes in donations. Anyone can come and get two grocery bags of food a week but they MUST either work in the garden, work at the pantry bagging food, or deliver food to the shut-ins (who are excempt from volunteer work).

C) My brother buys one semester of college and gives it to someone who might not think they are able to afford higher education. His wife helps them find a job on campus and helps to make them self-sufficient for the next semester. His genorosity has prompted my wife and I to donate our old vehicles to needy families...college students...and pastors who are without transportation.

D) Several churches in our community take up donations every year and have a "block bash"...with rides and games...and we give out about 1,500 backpacks with school supplies.

We can either wait for the government to cut through red tape...set up commitees and meetings...check all policies and procedures....

Or we can all take the time to buy 20 cheeseburgers and hand it out on the way to a game.

steelerdude15
09-13-2010, 10:07 AM
I've heard Baltimore's also pretty bad - never been there, though (with the exception of passing Camden Yards on my way to DC). For anyone who may not know or is wondering - Buffalo's the second poorest...Detroit's the first.
Baltimore is a complete shit hole.

I know one thing, though - as much as I may complain about the City of Pittsburgh, compared to Buffalo and Detroit, it may as well be New York City. They are putting a lot of money into getting rid of the blight, and not just downtown. Sure, there are still problem areas, but at least the city is thriving somewhat, and in spite of the idiots running it.
As of right now, it's one of the best cities in the country for young professionals to get a job in. I plan on moving up there in a couple of years.

The WH
09-13-2010, 01:30 PM
I'm surprised everyone's favorite poster from Idaho hasn't come on here and lambasted you for being on government assistance.

venom
09-13-2010, 02:00 PM
I never thought Buffalo was that bad . Thanx for the post

LLT
09-13-2010, 02:08 PM
I'm surprised everyone's favorite poster from Idaho hasn't come on here and lambasted you for being on government assistance.

steelpinstripe87 deals with health issues on a daily basis and her government assistance is well earned. She is NOT to be associated with the lazy, good for nothings that litter our welfare roles.

She is a beautiful young lady with a faith in God that makes me "check" myself on a regular basis. I am so impressed that with the challenges she faces..she is still looking for a job and proving her independence.

In short...she ROCKS!!!!

The WH
09-13-2010, 02:11 PM
I am not that poster, I understand and support people getting the nescessary government assistance.

LLT
09-13-2010, 02:23 PM
I am not that poster, I understand and support people getting the nescessary government assistance.

I understand...just cutting people off at the pass.

GodfatherofSoul
09-13-2010, 02:29 PM
steelpinstripe87 deals with health issues on a daily basis and her government assistance is well earned. She is NOT to be associated with the lazy, good for nothings that litter our welfare roles.

She is a beautiful young lady with a faith in God that makes me "check" myself on a regular basis. I am so impressed that with the challenges she faces..she is still looking for a job and proving her independence.

In short...she ROCKS!!!!

It's always the "other people" on public assistance who are lazy.

Mach1
09-13-2010, 02:35 PM

Isn't that what they call "Baiting"?

She gets what she get from health issues, I'm fine with that. It's the lazy ass's that refuse to take or even look for work because the Pretender N Chief might extend benefits or keep shitin out kids to get more welfare, ect, ect.

The WH
09-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Oh, Mach, I didn't see you were from Idaho too.....

steelpinstripe87
09-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Oh gosh, Vis, I'd probably cry if I ever went to Detroit. And WH, I'm kinda surprised myself that I haven't gotten flack for being on government assistance, because there are people who just want to take and not give back, and maybe not everyone here knows me. If anyone does ever lambast me for that anywhere, I have only this to say: it's not all fun and games (for those who actually want to survive on their own at any rate), believe me...I want a full-time job so badly. I walk into HR at Gates Circle hospital in Buffalo to get info on employment - what they see when I walk in is the lazy eye, the limp. They give me the info, take my resume, but tell me I don't have much of a chance. I had an interview in the Res Life office at SUNY Cortland (4 years of experience - 1 at Ithaca College, 3 at the University at Buffalo), and they told me later that they hired a man (which, in a secretary field, men are the minority, so they would get hired over a woman) - but they lied. Anyway (Thanks for the comment though, LLT...it is appreciated).

XT - Hertel's still pretty good. There are definitely worse places to be. Usually, if I'm in an area where I'm not safe, I know it, because I start feeling weird - hair standing up on the back of my neck, that sort of thing. Renovation is between Elmwood and Military, on the corner of St. Florian (Renovation Church is actually only about two years old, and is an off-shoot of the Chapel at Crosspoint. The building that the church is in was a Catholic church at one point). Military's still a couple blocks away, but once you get there, yeah...bit sketch. Never stopped me from going to that church though :)

Mach1
09-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Oh, Mach, I didn't see you were from Idaho too.....

Who else is from Idaho on here?

beSteelmyheart
09-13-2010, 03:45 PM
$800 was the cheapest ? WOW. You can get a nice place in a "very" quiet neighborhood with all kinds of stores and schools in walking distance in Oklahoma City for around $300 a month and you pay electric. The state will pay 4 or 5 months of that electric bill and charities will pay about 2 more months... so you're looking at paying around 6 months of electric a year. And there are a LOT of Steelers fans down here...lol... Gee... living on those 'big states' just ain't worth it... I use Cali, Florida, Texas, NY, Illinois, Hawaii, etc... only for vacations...
Florida is not so bad if you can take the heat, but I wouldn't live near Orlando or anything, & if you were house shopping, it's definitely a buyer's market! Last year we bought a 1500+ sq ft home on a 1/3 acre corner lot with an FHA loan & our mortgage payment is less than 600./mo & that includes taxes & insurance. There are alot of deals to be had if ya don't mind putting in a little sweat equity.
Jobs? I'm not so sure, especially when the shuttle program folds, who knows what's going to happen around here.

LLT
09-13-2010, 05:05 PM
It's always the "other people" on public assistance who are lazy.

Actually...no, thats a fallacy.

With my job I see and know the parasites to our system. Able bodied men and women who WON"T get a job...who dont WANT to get a job...and are a drain on our resourses.

You can drive through the public housing in our city and see the rows of newer cars driven by those who are paying $15 dollars a month for rent. Thats not a story...thats a fact.

Its not the "other people"....I can personally name over 100 people who we incarcerate on a regular basis that are lazy..and on public assistance.

LLT
09-13-2010, 05:11 PM
WH...regardless of who you were aiming that at...it IS baiting.

Discuss and debate with more civility.

LLT
09-13-2010, 05:18 PM
(Thanks for the comment though, LLT...it is appreciated).

Not a problem...you are absolutely one of my favorite people here. Your faith and spirit are an inspiration to me. I dont think anyone meant any harm..they just dont know your story.

beSteelmyheart
09-13-2010, 08:39 PM
sps87, if you are looking to get out of that area, I'd get out by winter & if you're looking to spend some time in Steelers country without the city prices, my beautiful little hometown of Vandergrift PA still has a good cost of living!

BPS3akaWirels3
09-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Yeah.. Move down to Central, PA... Lot's of Steelers nation and a GREAT place to live... Central PA and Pittsburgh are in the top 5 best places to live and work.. No joke.. My wife had a one bedroom apt for $400 a month in Harrisburg before I met her...

The WH
09-14-2010, 01:42 AM
WH...regardless of who you were aiming that at...it IS baiting.

Discuss and debate with more civility.

I donīt see how it's uncivil. Itīs a fact that there are posters here that have stated on several occasion that they think anyone and everyone on govt' assistance is a mooch. I was just harmlessly saying that I'm surprised they haven't made a comment yet. It's mild baiting at worst.

LLT
09-14-2010, 08:04 AM
I donīt see how it's uncivil. Itīs a fact that there are posters here that have stated on several occasion that they think anyone and everyone on govt' assistance is a mooch. I was just harmlessly saying that I'm surprised they haven't made a comment yet. It's mild baiting at worst.

The person you mentioned was not involved in the discussion at all...mild baiting is still baiting.

The WH
09-14-2010, 11:23 AM
what can I say, Angling is a hobby of mine

steelpinstripe87
09-14-2010, 01:29 PM
I'm not in Buffalo now (back home in Lake Placid for a couple of months), but I'd go back if I could afford it. Any city, really, because I love cities and also, I need the mass transit (no drivers license). Someone actually told me over the summer that I'm lucky because I have a disability (I almost slapped him, but figured that wouldn't be very Christian of me). People judge me as soon as they first lay eyes on me...how is that lucky?

By the way, I'm going to make a note about Harrisburg and stash it somewhere in my brain...even when I get off govt assistance (and I WILL), $800 a month for rent is still insane. The mortgage payment on my parents' house is cheaper, for crying out loud.

The WH
09-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Lake Placid? Like the one with the big Crocodile?

steelpinstripe87
09-14-2010, 02:29 PM
LOL, no...try Olympics, Miracle on Ice :)

BnG_Hevn
09-14-2010, 03:26 PM
steelpinstripe87,

Thank you for a nice and sincere "wake-up-call" post.

It is so easy to forget that while some of us have it so good, other Americans are struggling. We all have to keep in mind that everything the government touches turns to crap..and if there is going to be any REAL change in this country it is going to have to be done at a personal level.

A) a lady that my wife met, fixed up her basement and build three new bedrooms and a living area. She has been taking in homeless teenagers for over 15 years. She has a few rules...Help out...get good grades...no drugs/alcohol...be respectful.

B) A family from our church opened a food pantry. He has a LARGE garden in the back and takes in donations. Anyone can come and get two grocery bags of food a week but they MUST either work in the garden, work at the pantry bagging food, or deliver food to the shut-ins (who are excempt from volunteer work).

C) My brother buys one semester of college and gives it to someone who might not think they are able to afford higher education. His wife helps them find a job on campus and helps to make them self-sufficient for the next semester. His genorosity has prompted my wife and I to donate our old vehicles to needy families...college students...and pastors who are without transportation.

D) Several churches in our community take up donations every year and have a "block bash"...with rides and games...and we give out about 1,500 backpacks with school supplies.

We can either wait for the government to cut through red tape...set up commitees and meetings...check all policies and procedures....

Or we can all take the time to buy 20 cheeseburgers and hand it out on the way to a game.

That is actually pretty cool. I hate the idea of the government "being able" to shelter/clothe everyone (that means it is WAY too big) so dong things like the list above, helping others help themselves, is definitely cool.

I'm from Salamance, NY, 55 miles South of Buffalo. I like many others, have a good job and live in a nice area (SE NC) so I don't have a clue as to how bad things are in big cities.

The best thing the government can do is lower taxes, but that won't happen under Oprama.

You know how they call the 80s the "Decade of Decadence"? I grew up in the 80s (graduated in'87) and remember that everything was "how much you spent" on something, totally ignoring quality. I wish that would happen again as an adult - that would mean people have money to burn and therefor a good economy.

GodfatherofSoul
09-14-2010, 04:15 PM
You know how they call the 80s the "Decade of Decadence"? I grew up in the 80s (graduated in'87) and remember that everything was "how much you spent" on something, totally ignoring quality. I wish that would happen again as an adult - that would mean people have money to burn and therefor a good economy.

The best thing the government can do is invest in people when all the banks are sitting around hording cash. Tax cuts aren't doing any good for people without jobs, and people with jobs are too worried to be throwing it around.

beSteelmyheart
09-14-2010, 04:15 PM
My older sister lived in the Cortland/Marathon area...Marathon is liteally a one light town but it's beautiful country up there. She had to deal with some really brutal winters.

steelpinstripe87
09-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Yeah, winters in the southern tier can be rough (lake effect snow for the win!) - they're short, though, and they don't get that cold. We get so much snow up here, and it doesn't go away until April, sometimes May. I've seen 30-40 below zero, so when people complain in Buffalo/Ithaca/wherever that it's "too coooooooold!" when it's, like 40, I'm just going, you guys know nothing about cold.