PDA

View Full Version : Vince Williams on the outside?

StillCurtains
10-25-2016, 12:17 AM
Hey guys!

Listen, please don't beat me up on this, but what do you guys think about the staff possibly experimenting with Vince Williams in practice on the outside to see what he can do? He has moderate speed for an ILB which isn't very great for coverage.

However, I feel it is enough for him to play outside. With the state that our pass is in, I feel they can use all the help they can get at OLB. If they can have a safety in Davis playing corner, I feel they can also try Vince Williams at OLB. He's strong as a bull, plays with a mean streak and is very disciplined.

He's a thumper and also has the body build for it. He's also hands down the best tackler on the team. He's a player that needs to stay on the field. What do you guys think?

Born2Steel
10-25-2016, 08:47 AM
I'm just waiting for Bud's triumphant return to the field. Get Heyward and Dupree back on that defense and we look a lot different. No, I wouldn't 'tweak' the scheme in that way just yet. I also think we may be missing McLendon a bit more than we want to admit currently. Vince is a very strong presence in our middle and that is what he knows best.

Mojouw
10-25-2016, 10:24 AM
3 inches too short and 15 pounds too light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steeldude
10-25-2016, 12:48 PM
I'm just waiting for Bud's triumphant return to the field. Get Heyward and Dupree back on that defense and we look a lot different. No, I wouldn't 'tweak' the scheme in that way just yet. I also think we may be missing McLendon a bit more than we want to admit currently. Vince is a very strong presence in our middle and that is what he knows best.

Why would it get better with Dupree? He is an unknown. He could turn out to be worse than Jones.

steelreserve
10-25-2016, 01:01 PM
He's doing very well on the inside; I'd just as soon keep him there.

If anyone, I'd rather try Shazier on the outside, as he's played there before.

Maybe Shazier is a little underweight for the position now, but gets your best players on the field, and he can probably offer more options to use different looks and schemes - can actually cover someone unlike Jones, for example.

DesertSteel
10-25-2016, 02:32 PM
He could put on 10-15# and at 6'1" he's taller than Harrison. He ran a 4.65 at his pro day so he's a track star compared to Jarvis.

That said, keep him in the middle and let Timmons go next year.

But then again..... we just need somebody, ANYBODY, to get to the QB.

steelreserve
10-25-2016, 03:16 PM
He could put on 10-15# and at 6'1" he's taller than Harrison. He ran a 4.65 at his pro day so he's a track star compared to Jarvis.

That said, keep him in the middle and let Timmons go next year.

But then again..... we just need somebody, ANYBODY, to get to the QB.

I think we'll keep Timmons around another year or two. When Shazier inevitably gets hurt, we'll want a better ILB pair than Williams and some random guy. Timmons isn't going to be commanding anywhere near the salary he's getting now, so we could make it work.

Anyway, as far as Williams at OLB - I just don't think that's the answer. His whole deal is that he's not the most dynamic player or the best athlete on the field, he just always shows up in the right place at the right time. I don't think you can do that as an OLB. I mean, you can, but you won't generate any pressure.

As an edge rusher, you actually have to be either strong enough to overpower TEs and RBs, or quick enough to abuse offensive tackles, preferably both. Shazier has more of those qualities. Williams' skill set is more of making tackles and generally being a rock.

DesertSteel
10-25-2016, 06:05 PM
If we kept Jarvis at a discount, I'd rather see him move to the middle. He's not getting to the QB any time soon. But he does seem to be developing a nose for the ball.

86WARD
10-25-2016, 06:44 PM
No thanks...let Jarvis walk.

Steelersfan
10-25-2016, 09:39 PM
The OP did some reading last Friday:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-steelers-could-move-vince-williams-to-olb-vs-patriots/

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Steelers-could-move-Vince-Williams-to-OLB-vs-Patriots-48396482

Steeldude
10-27-2016, 03:29 PM
I don't see anything wrong with trying it out. Could he be any worse than the others?

86WARD
10-27-2016, 09:23 PM
Can't possibly be worse than Moats or Jones.

tube517
10-28-2016, 07:21 AM
Shazier is healthy and Vince is having a good year. They are trying to find ways to have both on the field since the current OLBs except Deebo are too busy fighting the wind

Steeldude
10-28-2016, 09:23 AM
Shazier is healthy and Vince is having a good year. They are trying to find ways to have both on the field since the current OLBs except Deebo are too busy fighting the wind

Haha

86WARD
10-28-2016, 09:34 AM
Funny cause it's true...