PDA

View Full Version : Are the Steelers' Superbowl hopes dashed?

StillCurtains
10-24-2016, 12:22 AM
Well, here we are coming off of another tough loss. They played rather admirably under the circumstances as I expected much worse.

Landry Jones resembled an NFL QB in this contest. We had a hobbled AB and Coates. No Ben, Gilbert, Wheaton, Rogers nor Heyward. We are also anticipating the return of Greene and Dupree. So the true question is can this team take the effort they displayed this week and begin a drive to the Superbowl?

Can they jump start things vs Baltimore after the bye with the team at status quo due to injuries? For me, this is very difficult to answer and here is why. We all know how dangerous this team is with a full complement of players. However, there are other things that make things hard to answer. Just last year Landry Jones led the Steelers to a home win vs Arizona, but the following week in Kansas City, he looked as if he didn't belong in the league.

So although he played respectable today, can we really be confident in him leading us to victory vs Baltimore? The other issue is the rash of injuries. Can we ever get healthy again and stop losing key players? This is hard to answer as it seems to happen on a regular basis. The other issue is the propensity of this team losing to sub .500 teams.

Losing to such teams have more than taken it's toll. Will these type of losses hurt our postseason hopes? This issue shows a mental problem with the team. Can they get it together mentally? Despite what many believe, I think the secondary is doing well. Yes, they're still learning, but I feel that the lack of aggressive playcalling in the secondary is due to a lack of a pass rush.

Hopefully Dupree will be back soon to give it a boost. I feel if this happens, the playcalling in the secondary will get much more aggressive. They need a full deck of cards to gel and get more continuity. The musical chairs on offense is hurting this team from gelling as well. I feel that these are the main things that are holding this team back and there is not any true clear answer to how this season will end up.

WCSteeler
10-24-2016, 12:42 AM
The key to a successful team is dealing with adversity. The Steelers offensively (when healthy) are among the best in the AFC. The struggle is on defense, no pass rush and poor secondary play are proving to be insurmountable. The secondary has zero takeaways and worsè yet the pass rush looks easily contained. As Dupree,Cam and Shazier get healthy the tide may very well change for the pass rush but the secondary looks very weak and with the addition of Burns and Davis that to me is disheartening.

86WARD
10-24-2016, 06:59 AM
I don't think they are dashed at all. I do believe they got immensely more difficult because most likely they will have to go through NE to get there and they've been a hot mess on the road. I also feel like NE was holding back a little bit during that game...maybe that's just me over thinking it, but I feel like Belichick wasn't showing his full hand.

I think much more positive can be taken out of yesterday's game than negative.

Born2Steel
10-24-2016, 07:45 AM
Right now? If we had to lace them up and play again today? No, we are not SB contenders. But all you have to do is look at this roster healthy, with no scratches, and it's easy to see we are and should be in that conversation. Only 8 games in. Still pushing for that playoff spot. Once we get that, we can talk about chances for another SB.

Born2Steel
10-24-2016, 08:15 AM
Looking at the standings, the Pats are 6-1, Raiders, Chiefs, and either Texans or Broncos after tonight, are 5-2, Steelers, Bills, and loser of Broncos/Texans are at 4-3. 2 Ls in a row and we are still contenders. Better than a lot of teams. And we will get healthy and better.

LloydWoodson
10-24-2016, 08:23 AM
Steelers SB hopes are not even close to dashed.

When was the last time they got a 1st round bye? 2010?

Steelers were always a 3rd - 6th seed at best in my view. The Steelers are an inconsistent team. If they get hot at the right time and are hot through the playoffs they definitely have a shot.

There also aren't any powerhouses in the NFL right now. I picked the Seahawks to go to the Bowl and this is the second game they have scored less than 10 points now as did the Cards last night.

The Pats and Broncos are both weaker than their Championship teams.

Steelers "hopes are dashed" when they are eliminated from the playoffs and not sooner. The reality is the Bengals and Ravens are both struggling. There is a good chance the Steelers host a playoff game.

EzraTank
10-24-2016, 08:46 AM
You had hopes of a Supberbowl with this defense? LOL.

SteelerFanInStl
10-24-2016, 12:10 PM
We just need to get into the playoffs and get people healthy. With a healthy team in the playoffs, we can beat anyone.

steel striker
10-24-2016, 12:33 PM
No not yet most of our wr's are hurt or injured and, when DHB is one of your top WR it's trouble. Hopefully they get healthy and, make a run.

teegre
10-24-2016, 07:45 PM
Not. At. All.

Shoes
10-24-2016, 07:47 PM
Not. At. All.

^ Agreed!

GBMelBlount
10-24-2016, 08:53 PM
We just need to get into the playoffs and get people healthy. With a healthy team in the playoffs, we can beat anyone.

Agreed.

Plus our D will have another 10 games to gel.

Mojouw
10-24-2016, 09:00 PM
IF this team can be what they LOOK like they can be on paper when the top 22-25 guys are healthy - then not at all. Check back in about Week 11 or 12. I think that is when we will know what this year's roster can really play like.

From what I was reading today, some of the walking wounded might be back after the bye week. PLus, now we don't have to worried that Coates doesn't catch with his hands - he won't be able too!

StillCurtains
10-24-2016, 11:25 PM
Not. At. All.

Thanks for the optimism! To me it's two things:
Will this rash of injuries persist or will they get healthy and stay that way?

Also will they end the mental lapses with the bottom feeders of the league? Those are my 2 concerns with this team. If their luck with health changes as well as taking every opponent seriously, I like our chances for #7.

Some feel that one man can't make a huge difference, but I think Dupree can. We all know what a difference Ben makes. I feel that Butler will get more aggressive defensively when he returns. I feel he will move our secondary in tighter coverage and get more exotic. I know the secondary is in somewhat of a learing curve, but with Dupree returning to give the pass rush a shot in the arm, the secondary could then complement them with tighter coverage.

Rotorhead
10-25-2016, 11:08 AM
Not having Cam last weekend is what killed us. Plus Shazier changed the game the few snaps he played. If Jarvis can continue playing like he did, getting Shazier and Cam back will completely change the defense. Our secondary actually played very well against the Pats. Aside from 2 big Gronk plays they held the Pats off to 27pts, add Ben in there and we win, hell, add Cam in there and their running game is not as good either. Once we start getting healthy (I am thinking we will be 90% including Ben after the bye) we will start playing like we all think we can. Cam, Dupree, Shazier on Defense improves the rush. Our DB's are getting more experience and will be better due to the pass rush. Our offense will get better when all the WR's are not nursing injuries and our OL is back to 100%.

SteelMember
10-25-2016, 12:28 PM
We need some folks to get healthy...

st33lersguy
10-25-2016, 09:50 PM
Where this team currently stands, the steelers aren't a threat to advance in the postseason at all. In order for them to become a threat to be a Super Bowl team, the injuries will need to stop occurring at its current rate otherwise they'll yet again be too banged up. Also the defense MUST improve. The defense is too soft, the pass rush too little, and receivers being left open too often to stand a chance against elite offenses. Are they capable of improving into a Super Bowl caliber team before seasons end, I believe they can and are capable of it

steelerdude15
10-26-2016, 06:39 PM
We need some folks to get healthy...

Looks like that's happening.

Steelers notebook: Gilbert certain he'll play against Ravens

Marcus Gilbert is “100 percent” convinced he will return for the Steelers' next game Nov. 6 at Baltimore.

The Steelers' starting right tackle has missed the past 3½ games because of a left-ankle injury. Gilbert, however, confirmed he will return to practice this week — first for individual work and then “work my way up and see how I feel.”

“I was hoping to be back out there last week, but it didn't respond the way I hoped,” Gilbert said. “But it's feeling better now, and I'm taking it day by day.”

The Steelers practice Tuesday and Wednesday before a four-day break for their bye.

With offseason acquisition Ryan Harris on injured reserve, Chris Hubbard started the past three games in Gilbert's place.

Read More: http://http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/11360423-74/green-steelers-heyward

86WARD
10-26-2016, 06:57 PM
Even healthy, the inconsistencies on this team can and will prevent them from getting a win in the playoffs. There's a good base there...whether they can build on it...totally different story.

Rotorhead
10-27-2016, 10:56 AM
Even healthy, the inconsistencies on this team can and will prevent them from getting a win in the playoffs. There's a good base there...whether they can build on it...totally different story.

So you don't think with most of our walking dead healthy we couldn't beat the Pats? Cause they are the top team in the AFC at this point? And I honestly think we could have beat them with either Ben or Cam in the game playing, definitely with both in there. Cam to significantly slow the run game plus add more rush, and Ben to put another 2 TDs on the board.

SteelMember
10-27-2016, 12:13 PM

Well, you're not going to get any consistency rotating players into position groups. You gain consistency by playing the same guys together... that's what I'm saying. Not only that, but we have been missing some key "starters" in these groups. You can't lose a Heyward from the d-line, a Foster then a Gilbert from the o'line, a Wheaton then a Coates from a WR spot, a Golden form the safety, a Ben from the QB position and now Williams from the RB group....

The mantra may be "next" man up", but we all know you'd rather have you #1 guys in there getting reps together. That's what's gonna get you better.

86WARD
10-27-2016, 03:01 PM
It's been that way for years and there's other teams in the NFL that play consistently good even with injuries. I don't buy that "too many injuries" as an excuse as to why it's happening over a long period of time. Packers played consistent and won a Super Bowl with injuries. The Pats just went 3-1 without their star QB and back up QB. Year after year, the excuses are the same and the results are the same.

86WARD
10-27-2016, 03:04 PM
So you don't think with most of our walking dead healthy we couldn't beat the Pats? Cause they are the top team in the AFC at this point? And I honestly think we could have beat them with either Ben or Cam in the game playing, definitely with both in there. Cam to significantly slow the run game plus add more rush, and Ben to put another 2 TDs on the board.

I think they could beat the Pats. I think they could've beat them bad at home. But on the road, no, I don't think they could. They couldn't handle the Dolphins or Eagles. Even with the few injuries, they should be able to play them both better than they did. Maybe not win both of those games (I realistically think they should've won both) but at the very worst, 1-1 versus those two teams on the road. They got a beat down and that's the inconsistencies that I'm talking about.

Rotorhead
10-27-2016, 04:10 PM
Ah, I see, well the problem with inconsistency is you never know when it will appear. I am hopeful come playoffs the inconsistency will be shaken. Also, they certainly play better against better opponents, so there is that also. Time to look forward though, they still could go 12-4 or 11-5 easily if they get healthy. Either of those could get a 1st rnd bye as the #2 seed. Then both teams have to get to the AFCCG before we even think about it again. Lots can happen still, I am hopeful after this game (I am pretty sure most of us chalked this up as a L before the season anyway) with the way the played. I only looked at this game for playoff seeding originally. Good time for the bye for our injury report. Good time to start a nice run into the playoffs. If we can hit 11-4 and have the 2nd seed locked up, then we may get another bye at the end of the year also. Still a lot of football to be played. I think they will improve every game from here on out.

86WARD
10-27-2016, 09:22 PM
I hope so too...however, with the history of Tomlin teams, I don't have a lot of confidence.

Moose
10-28-2016, 09:38 AM
No, I don't think the hope's are dashed yet. There are a heck of a lot of things that has to happen for this team to be a true contender though. First of all they HAVE to beat team's that they are supposed to, i.e. Miami ! There should be no questions when bottom feeder's come in to play.....you BEAT them. Secondly we need to get healthy. Thirdly, and the first statement may come to play here also, you have to be consistent. Every player must play 100% every game, the whole game ! Make good passes, catch good passes, make tackles, get interceptions, get sacks, etc.,etc.. The pure fundamentals of football ! This team has problems with bottom feeder's and you never know what Steeler team is going to show up from week to week. Thus, tough to be considered Super Bowl threat, in my opinion.

Mojouw
10-28-2016, 11:06 AM
I am not trying to argue with the extremely disappointing record that recent Steelers teams have against "bad" teams. I will say only this - I do not think it is as bad as it has been made out. What do I mean? Two recent examples.

Last season the Steelers lost to a Kansas City team that had a losing record when they played. From the Steelers game forward that Chiefs squad got its act together and ripped through the rest of the season in route to the playoffs. So, was that a loss to a bad team or not? Teegre and others have pointed this out before - but most internet articles continue to count this loss in the "bad" column.

This season, the Miami loss feels the same way to me. Prior to the week the Steelers came to town, Miami fired and replaced most of its suspect offensive line, reamed out players in meetings and the media and finally made the long overdue decision to install Ajay as the lead back and halt the wacky ineffective timeshares they had previously been obsessed with. They have played markedly better for 2 weeks running now. If they finish 9-7, is it still a bad loss?

What about the Eagles this year? Many thought the Steelers would and should walk all over them - myself included. That was not the case. Last week they took it to the Vikings pretty good - a far better defense than Pittsburgh fields. So is that a bad loss?

pczach
10-28-2016, 12:36 PM
I am not trying to argue with the extremely disappointing record that recent Steelers teams have against "bad" teams. I will say only this - I do not think it is as bad as it has been made out. What do I mean? Two recent examples.

Last season the Steelers lost to a Kansas City team that had a losing record when they played. From the Steelers game forward that Chiefs squad got its act together and ripped through the rest of the season in route to the playoffs. So, was that a loss to a bad team or not? Teegre and others have pointed this out before - but most internet articles continue to count this loss in the "bad" column.

This season, the Miami loss feels the same way to me. Prior to the week the Steelers came to town, Miami fired and replaced most of its suspect offensive line, reamed out players in meetings and the media and finally made the long overdue decision to install Ajay as the lead back and halt the wacky ineffective timeshares they had previously been obsessed with. They have played markedly better for 2 weeks running now. If they finish 9-7, is it still a bad loss?

What about the Eagles this year? Many thought the Steelers would and should walk all over them - myself included. That was not the case. Last week they took it to the Vikings pretty good - a far better defense than Pittsburgh fields. So is that a bad loss?

Stop making sense. You're confusing those looking to crush the team every single time there is a misstep of any kind.

Steelermania
10-30-2016, 12:50 PM

It's the record at the end of the year that matters most to me. KC was not a bad loss. A few years back we lost to Cleveland when they were playing well. They finished 7-9. Was that a bad loss? To me, no loss to the Ravens should ever go into that category. A bad loss is a non divisional home loss to a team that finishes with a losing record, and a road loss to a non division team that loses 11 or more games. Road games are tough, and it's not a sin to lose to a middling team on the road.

Moose
10-30-2016, 01:33 PM
Sorry, but Miami was a bad loss ! Steeler's shouldn't have lost to that team that day. Can't compare Miami weeks later, after making player adjustments, coaching adjustments, etc., to what the team finishes up at the end of 16 weeks. At that week, that day, Miami was pathetic and we played down to them....and lost. We were outplayed, out coached, as what happens way too many times with this team when playing bottom feeder's. Are you all going to feel super confident when we play the Brown's for the first time this year ? In my opinion, hell no !

Mojouw
10-30-2016, 04:23 PM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/standings

Those are the standings through last week's games. I see 2 "bottom feeder" teams out of 32. Other than the Browns and the Niners, basically everyone else is a game or three either side of .500. One of last year's SB teams is 2-5 - are they a bad team?

Parity is the rule. "Bad" teams are the exception in the NFL now. Imagine if Cleveland had a mediocre QB, say Tyrod Taylor, and better injury luck - that'd be a decentish team. I don't care about the records at all, it is the patterns that trouble me:

1. Front 3 or 4 on defense is getting mauled at the point of attack.
2. AV is a pretty "beatable" LT and so is Hubbard at RT. The edge of the OL has cost the offense several "splash" plays this season.
3. Edge defenders, particularly DBs (Burns, Cockerell, Davis) are cover your eyes and pray bad in run support. Steelers Depot had multiple articles in the past 2 weeks providing video proof of just how bad this has been.
4. Jesse James is absolutely lost as a blocker in almost every respect. I can recall multiple plays that were dead before they started because James can't even screen his guy from the ball carrier, let alone drive him back or put him on his ass.
5. The coaching staffs inability, outside of WR and OL, to get 1st and 2nd year players ready to play fast, aggressive football. Burns, Hargrave, Davis, Chicillo, etc look like they have to stop and do some math problems before they react. There has to be way to simplify things for these guys so they can let their athleticism shine through and make a play once a month.

I know I always come off as the coaching staff's resident apologist, but I am going to withhold condemnation until we actually see the roster they envisioned. I try to watch a ridiculous NFL football each week and I can not think of another team that has as many injuries - maybe Cleveland and Green Bay?

teegre
10-30-2016, 04:49 PM
Speaking of injuries, before someone brings up the 2010 Packers...

The 2010 Packers didn't lose starters. They still started Greg Jennings, James Jones, Jordy Nelson, and Donald Driver. Sure, they lost Terrance Smith... which probably hurt. :sarcasm:

Likewise, their O-line lost Marshall Newhouse and Mark Tauscher (who???). Similarly, their defense lost the ex-Steeler Anthony Smith (S) and LBs Brady Poppinga, Brad Chillar, and Brad Jones (uh... hmmm).

Admittedly, they did lose Jermichael "One Hit Wonder" Finley and Nick Barnett. But, they still had Aaron Rogers, those receivers, a Pro Bowl caliber O-line, and 10/11 of their opening day defensive starters.

SUMMATION:
Apples & oranges.

teegre
10-30-2016, 05:02 PM
Speaking of 2010...

The Steelers did not have Aaron Smith nor Maurkice Pouncey for the SuperBowl (the same as losing Barnett & Finley)... and, Manny Sanders got injured early (the same as Charles Woodson).

Mojouw
10-30-2016, 05:43 PM
Speaking of 2010...

The Steelers did not have Aaron Smith nor Maurkice Pouncey for the SuperBowl (the same as losing Barnett & Finley)... and, Manny Sanders got injured early (the same as Charles Woodson).

I still say that the Steelers win that game on the last drive if not for the Manny Sanders injury. Too much shuffling of guys between the X-Y-Z spots for a SB 2 minute drill. If every one of those WRs had been in their normal spot - Ben would have one more ring and another bit of "magic" on his resume.

tube517
10-30-2016, 06:41 PM
I still say that the Steelers win that game on the last drive if not for the Manny Sanders injury. Too much shuffling of guys between the X-Y-Z spots for a SB 2 minute drill. If every one of those WRs had been in their normal spot - Ben would have one more ring and another bit of "magic" on his resume.

Manny was the better #3 WR at that point than Brown. It was definitely a huge blow when Sanders went down. Wallace was too busy being the greatest decoy known to mankind. That 2 minute drill was a clusterF.

Moose
10-30-2016, 07:07 PM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/standings
1. Front 3 or 4 on defense is getting mauled at the point of attack.
2. AV is a pretty "beatable" LT and so is Hubbard at RT. The edge of the OL has cost the offense several "splash" plays this season.
3. Edge defenders, particularly DBs (Burns, Cockerell, Davis) are cover your eyes and pray bad in run support. Steelers Depot had multiple articles in the past 2 weeks providing video proof of just how bad this has been.
4. Jesse James is absolutely lost as a blocker in almost every respect. I can recall multiple plays that were dead before they started because James can't even screen his guy from the ball carrier, let alone drive him back or put him on his ass.
5. The coaching staffs inability, outside of WR and OL, to get 1st and 2nd year players ready to play fast, aggressive football. Burns, Hargrave, Davis, Chicillo, etc look like they have to stop and do some math problems before they react. There has to be way to simplify things for these guys so they can let their athleticism shine through and make a play once a month.

Very well said my friend !! Exactly.

teegre
10-30-2016, 08:15 PM

I agree 100%... literally... every bit of it.

Case in point:
Antwaan Randle-El running the wrong route on third down. :doh:

Also:
Earlier in that season, Sanders broke Revis' ankles all... game... long. Manny was actually better as a rookie (than the following season); thus, against a nickel-back, he would have been the difference on that final drive.

Craic
10-30-2016, 09:04 PM
Sorry, but Miami was a bad loss ! Steeler's shouldn't have lost to that team that day. Can't compare Miami weeks later, after making player adjustments, coaching adjustments, etc., to what the team finishes up at the end of 16 weeks. At that week, that day, Miami was pathetic and we played down to them....and lost. We were outplayed, out coached, as what happens way too many times with this team when playing bottom feeder's. Are you all going to feel super confident when we play the Brown's for the first time this year ? In my opinion, hell no !

Except that, they made those adjustments before they played the Steelers, so yes, I think it is pretty valid to compare the Miami team now to that team. In fact, because it was post-adjustment, it is even fairer to compare them to today's Miami team than to the team pre-adjustment.

Dissolv
10-31-2016, 10:16 AM
Superbowl is a tough call. It is damn hard to get there.

But at 4-3 we are facing a surprisingly crappy Ravens squad next week. They sit at 3-4. A win there puts them deep into a playoff hole. That would leave only the Bengals to compete for the AFC North....and they are now 3-4-1 (haha!) and we have a win against them.

So although this may not look like a Superbowl squad right now, neither did the 2011 Giants, who looked like they stank on ice, but wound up winning the whole thing, and against the vaunted Patriots. Putting that aside, my point is that we DO look like playoff squad, although possibly barely. For some reason everyone is tanking in the AFC North right now, and the next game we play will have playoff implications.

A healthy + hot streak down the road could get us to a 10-6 season, and once in the playoffs, anything can happen.

Then next year we draft Defense.....

Dissolv