PDA

View Full Version : How to Beat the Patriots

GBMelBlount
10-20-2016, 07:25 PM
If you were the Steelers head coach what strategies would you employ on offense and defense to win the game?

Devilsdancefloor
10-20-2016, 07:31 PM
No 10 yard cushion on WR and blitz brady. Run bell run dwill pass only when needed

salamander
10-20-2016, 07:42 PM
No stupid inopportune trick plays.

GBMelBlount
10-20-2016, 07:43 PM
No 10 yard cushion on WR and blitz brady. Run bell run dwill pass only when needed

My exact thoughts on defense also.

I have some different ideas on offense.

Not sure we can turtle ball an entire game and have a chance with the box loaded.

Edman
10-20-2016, 07:51 PM
Knock it off with the conservatism on Offense and Defense.

If butler goes ten yard cushion, he'll get rung up for 40+.

Steady dosage of Bell/DWill and easy passes for Landry Jones on Offense. Can't turn Landry loose, but you can't hide from him either. Like him or not, Landry is the quarterback, Sooner or later, It will come down to him, and Landry WILL have to make some throws. The whole thing makes me puke.

steelcityboyz
10-20-2016, 08:04 PM
We are so screwed. We haven't gotten pressure on the Qb all season so far. and this week is no exception. Unless we can harass Brady I fear a 30 plus point blow out. I hope i'm wrong but i'm just not feeling it this week.

Shoes
10-20-2016, 08:32 PM
Mix the pass/run up with Bell & Williams. If they can consistantly gain yardage it's going to open up the deep ball and Jones does have a good arm. I would also mix it up with some double TE play. Boz must be spot on and the D must blitz. I don't believe butler is going to play the 10 yard cushion. I expect to see Shazier sticking with gronk and pressuring Brady. I think they can pull this off.

st33lersguy
10-20-2016, 08:49 PM
You need a pass rush which this team currently does not have

tube517
10-20-2016, 09:27 PM
2011 game: They got pressure on Brady. They played ball control and dink/dunk on the Cheats* defense and kept the ball away from the Cheats** offense.

TOP was 39-21 in favor of Pittsburgh. They sacked Brady 3 times.

They actually adjusted their game plan on both sides of the balll, for the first time in LeBeau's history and jammed Gronk at the line (he still had 7 catches 94 yards, 0 TDs) and no 10 yard cushion.

SteelMayhem72
10-20-2016, 10:25 PM
Mix the pass/run up with Bell & Williams. If they can consistantly gain yardage it's going to open up the deep ball and Jones does have a good arm. I would also mix it up with some double TE play. Boz must be spot on and the D must blitz. I don't believe butler is going to play the 10 yard cushion. I expect to see Shazier sticking with gronk and pressuring Brady. I think they can pull this off.
Is shazier even gonna play??

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

tube517
10-20-2016, 10:58 PM
Is shazier even gonna play??

He practiced today and is expected to play.

After being limited on Wednesday, Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier (knee) is listed as having practiced fully on Thursday and he said after the session was over that he expects to play against the Patriots. Shazier hasn’t played since injuring his knee in the team’s Week 3 road loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/10/steelers-injury-report-lb-ryan-practices-fully-thursday/

SteelMayhem72
10-21-2016, 08:45 AM
He practiced today and is expected to play.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/10/steelers-injury-report-lb-ryan-practices-fully-thursday/
thanks for the info...hopefully he can stay on the field longer than 3 games

fansince'76
10-21-2016, 08:50 AM
thanks for the info...hopefully he can stay on the field longer than 1/2 a game before being forced to sit out another 4 or 5 games afterward with yet another injury

Fixed.

86WARD
10-21-2016, 12:48 PM
On offense: Running plays to the Patriots strength. I'd use short/high percentage throws that Landry can make to get Bell,Brown and Rogers into open spaces and moving. Stuff that Jones doesn't have to think too hard about. Not a lot of timing routes. Stationary targets, easy routes. Mix in some misdirection runs but not run heavy. No bull shit gimmick plays unless the timing for it is absolute perfect. The Patriots are probably going to scheme based on Bell. Use him as a decoy and go with Jones to Brown...high percentages.

On defense: Rush more than 2 DL. Hit Gronk and Bennett at the line, disrupt the route. The 10-yard cushion is a recipe for disaster here. Make Brady beat them with Hogan and Blount. Shazier won't be able to blanket Gronk and if he does, Bennett will get 150 and 2 TDs. There's not enough talent on the Steelers to stick with those TEs.

steelreserve
10-21-2016, 02:35 PM
Get in Brady's face, that's literally THE ONLY thing you can do.

If you can get pressure on him, you win. If you can't, you lose. If you don't even try to get pressure, that means you can't, and therefore you also lose automatically.

That's the mistake probably 80% of teams make: "omg it's Brady, he's a good passer. Better sit back and play conservative, because if we blitz too often he might burn us!"

Well, yes, he might burn you if you can't disrupt him. But guess what, if you sit back and try to play coverage, you'll get burned anyway. In 100% of games. Can anyone remember a game, EVER, when a team has shut down New England by sitting back and just covering their receivers so well that they couldn't move the ball? No, because it doesn't work.

So you have to go balls-out pressure. So you might fail and lose the game - oh well. You were going to lose anyway doing it the other way. This at least gives you a chance.

teegre
10-21-2016, 03:09 PM

If you can get pressure on him, you win. If you can't, you lose. If you don't even try to get pressure, that means you can't, and therefore you also lose automatically.

That's the mistake probably 80% of teams make: "omg it's Brady, he's a good passer. Better sit back and play conservative, because if we blitz too often he might burn us!"

Well, yes, he might burn you if you can't disrupt him. But guess what, if you sit back and try to play coverage, you'll get burned anyway. In 100% of games. Can anyone remember a game, EVER, when a team has shut down New England by sitting back and just covering their receivers so well that they couldn't move the ball? No, because it doesn't work.

So you have to go balls-out pressure. So you might fail and lose the game - oh well. You were going to lose anyway doing it the other way. This at least gives you a chance.

Great post

Steeldude
10-21-2016, 03:36 PM

The problem is Harrison will spend most of the time on the bench. The Steelers are lucky if an unblocked Jones can sack or even pressure the QB. Hopefully Chickillo can do something.

I can't see Butler rushing more than 4 or 5.

Mojouw
10-21-2016, 05:01 PM
Shazier, Gilbert, and Davis draw TE duty. Up front Hargrove, Tuitt, and Harrison will have to get pressure on their own. Doesn't really matter, offense will be lucky to do anything but punt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Butch
10-21-2016, 06:53 PM
You have to go Old School on 'em and yes you need to have a few trick plays. I will give you an example of what I am talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWAQ8rTBLUk

SteelMayhem72
10-21-2016, 10:48 PM
Fixed.
amen!

DesertSteel
10-22-2016, 09:08 AM
Simple: Gillooly Tom Brady's knee on the way to the stadium.

vasteeler
10-22-2016, 09:30 AM
beat them at their own game...cheat

Steeldude
10-22-2016, 10:39 AM
1. No 10-yard cushions.

2. Blitz heavily.

3. Get rid of stupid trick plays.

4. Bench Jarvis Jones for most of the game.

5. Don't pass on 3rd and short.

6. Don't run on 3rd and long.

7. If you get the lead keep trying to score more and more. Don't worry about running up the score. If you can put 60 points on the board then do it.

8. Use the no-huddle. I mean the fast no-huddle, not the one that takes 40 seconds.

- - - Updated - - -

You have to go Old School on 'em and yes you need to have a few trick plays. I will give you an example of what I am talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWAQ8rTBLUk

It's still the greatest football movie of all-time.

Psycho Ward 86
10-22-2016, 11:33 AM
literally anytime we've been fortunate to beat them we've used aggressive man coverage. thats a must. were going to have to get lucky on the blitzes too because god knows thats the only time Brady folds.

GBMelBlount
10-22-2016, 06:16 PM
Mix the pass/run up with Bell & Williams.

If they can consistantly gain yardage it's going to open up the deep ball and Jones does have a good arm.

Or the converse.

Lining up 3 or 4 receivers wide and throwing some long balls early may spread out the defense and give Bell & Williams more space to be most effective.

Either way, we have to keep them from loading the box.

tube517
10-22-2016, 08:24 PM
DeAngelo is out.

Bell and AB are going to have to pick up the slack, with some help from Outlaw and X-man

pczach
10-23-2016, 10:58 AM
I think the Steelers best chance of winning this game is to trade for Vontez Burfict and Ndamukong Suh.

There's a pretty good chance Brady, Gronk, Bennett, and Edleman won't finish the game. Burfict almost single handedly stopped the Steelers from winning the super bowl last year with his dirty play as he knocked out the Steelers best players.

I guess Roger Goodell thinks this behavior on the field is ok, so maybe that's how everyone needs to start playing the game.

You can beat your wife repeatedly. You get to keep making money while suspended.

You can beat your girlfriend.

You can try to end other players careers over and over and over again and be slapped on the wrist.

You can stomp on players. You can spike a players face. You can kick a franchise quarterback in an already injured knee.....and get away with it.

What you can't do is smoke a joint. Whatever you do, do not smoke marijuana.

If you smoke a joint and get caught a couple times, you are taken off the field, lose a ton of money, and are taken away from the structure in your life that holds things together for some young men and left to figure it out on your own. Back to the streets for you.

What the hell is going on in the NFL?

In Roger Goodell's game, taking out the opposing players with dirty play is the new way to get things done with minimal penalty. Maybe it will be instituted as a new strategy by teams throughout the NFL reacting directly to the commissioner's stance on what is right or wrong, and the punishments for those actions.

Welcome to Goodell's vision of the NFL.

Mojouw
10-23-2016, 12:03 PM
I don't think blitzing will work. Read somewhere that Brady is getting the ball out in 2 seconds or less. Physically impossible to get a blitzer to the QB in that window. It's going to have to be coverage to force Brady to hold the ball and then pressure from the front wall.

On offense, prayer.

steelerdude15
10-23-2016, 02:43 PM
I don't think blitzing will work. Read somewhere that Brady is getting the ball out in 2 seconds or less. Physically impossible to get a blitzer to the QB in that window. It's going to have to be coverage to force Brady to hold the ball and then pressure from the front wall.

On offense, prayer.

I think Brady has one of the quickest releases in the NFL. I think the Steelers would have to either have to switch to a man coverage for this game or if they're running a zone scheme (which they will), have the defensive backs and linebackers extremely close to the receivers to hopefully make Brady hold on to the ball and get pressure on him from the linebackers and defensive linemen.

tube517
10-23-2016, 03:14 PM
They need to rough up Edelman as well. He gets all the dinks and dunks and the Steelers will give him huge cushions or have missed tackles after the catch.

LloydWoodson
10-24-2016, 08:15 AM
I think the Steelers best chance of winning this game is to trade for Vontez Burfict and Ndamukong Suh.

There's a pretty good chance Brady, Gronk, Bennett, and Edleman won't finish the game. Burfict almost single handedly stopped the Steelers from winning the super bowl last year with his dirty play as he knocked out the Steelers best players.

I guess Roger Goodell thinks this behavior on the field is ok, so maybe that's how everyone needs to start playing the game.

You can beat your wife repeatedly. You get to keep making money while suspended.

You can beat your girlfriend.

You can try to end other players careers over and over and over again and be slapped on the wrist.

You can stomp on players. You can spike a players face. You can kick a franchise quarterback in an already injured knee.....and get away with it.

What you can't do is smoke a joint. Whatever you do, do not smoke marijuana.

If you smoke a joint and get caught a couple times, you are taken off the field, lose a ton of money, and are taken away from the structure in your life that holds things together for some young men and left to figure it out on your own. Back to the streets for you.

What the hell is going on in the NFL?

In Roger Goodell's game, taking out the opposing players with dirty play is the new way to get things done with minimal penalty. Maybe it will be instituted as a new strategy by teams throughout the NFL reacting directly to the commissioner's stance on what is right or wrong, and the punishments for those actions.

Welcome to Goodell's vision of the NFL.

You were a bit off topic but I agree 100%. I especially agree about football being a positive factor in the lives of the Gordons and Bryants. They're probably on the couch packing a bowl right now why not? They've got nothing else to do.

The NFL is just afraid of its players losing their appeal to white audiences/christian audiences etc. It's the same reason the NBA instituted a dress code for players attending NBA games on their own time. It was the "You see what Iverson is wearing? Yeah... you can't wear that" rule.

Every single thing the NFL does is to cover its own ass from fining players and coaches for speaking out about bad officiating, to eliminating big hits however legal for fear of head trauma only to have players black out from hits to play a week later, to only punishing obvious and public domestic violence that leaves the NFL with a black eye, to completely controlling uniforms down to the socks, shoes and eye black.

Every NFL fan sees how transparently the NFL panders to casual fans. There is zero question that the integrity of the game takes a back seat to profits and mass appeal. The NFL would rather attract bandwagon fans who are new to football and just started watching because the Seahawks just got good and all the other bandwagon fans in the Northwest are watching than continue the traditional game that appeals to ex players and long time fans.

- - - Updated - - -

On topic: so... Landry Jones throwing 47 times ISN'T the best way to beat the Patriots?

At least we know for next time.

pczach
10-24-2016, 01:35 PM
You were a bit off topic but I agree 100%. I especially agree about football being a positive factor in the lives of the Gordons and Bryants. They're probably on the couch packing a bowl right now why not? They've got nothing else to do.

The NFL is just afraid of its players losing their appeal to white audiences/christian audiences etc. It's the same reason the NBA instituted a dress code for players attending NBA games on their own time. It was the "You see what Iverson is wearing? Yeah... you can't wear that" rule.

Every single thing the NFL does is to cover its own ass from fining players and coaches for speaking out about bad officiating, to eliminating big hits however legal for fear of head trauma only to have players black out from hits to play a week later, to only punishing obvious and public domestic violence that leaves the NFL with a black eye, to completely controlling uniforms down to the socks, shoes and eye black.

Every NFL fan sees how transparently the NFL panders to casual fans. There is zero question that the integrity of the game takes a back seat to profits and mass appeal. The NFL would rather attract bandwagon fans who are new to football and just started watching because the Seahawks just got good and all the other bandwagon fans in the Northwest are watching than continue the traditional game that appeals to ex players and long time fans.

- - - Updated - - -

On topic: so... Landry Jones throwing 47 times ISN'T the best way to beat the Patriots?

At least we know for next time.

I meant every part of the post. They are all valid thoughts I believe.

The overall point I was making is a bit sarcastic. I'm just taking some serious shots at Roger Goodell and the direction he's taking the league.