PDA

View Full Version : This defense isn't winning us anything

EzraTank
10-16-2016, 07:29 PM
As good as our offense is (when it's clicking) our defense is just horrible. Yes I know guys are hurt but this defense is NOT built to win in the playoffs. They get no pressure, go through phases when they simply cannot tackle. The secondary can't catch balls thrown right to them ...

If our offense stumbles like it did today and in Philly (two lesser teams) this defense has no chance.

The number one priority has to be to build this defense or bring in a coordinator that can somehow drum up some pressure.

st33lersguy
10-16-2016, 09:02 PM
Agreed. When some joe blow runs for over 200 yards, you aren't winning anything

StillCurtains
10-17-2016, 02:18 AM
I'm not surprised at the least that this happened. No pressure!!!! Moats is a backup and not heard of. Heyward is hurt and when he is not teams are putting primary focus on him and Tuitt.

Dupree is hurt. Harrison is old and Jarvis is terrible. Drafting the likes of him, Bruce Davis, Sylvester and Worilds has killed this Defense. Pitiful.. We also havve no leader on defense.

pczach
10-17-2016, 06:07 AM
Everyone needs to get healthy....period. By the end of this year, the young secondary people should be seasoned enough if the health of the team is good.

I don't think you can make a final determination on this defense or this team until they get healthy again.

Steelermania
10-17-2016, 06:08 AM
This defense is marginal when healthy. With it's two best players injured, it's well below the line. Hargrave has shown nothing since the games began to count. Artie Burns has shown some talent, but rookie corners are guaranteed to make some costly mental mistakes, as he has. Mitchell is getting on my nerves with his dumb dirty play. Boy I miss Ryan Clark.

86WARD
10-17-2016, 07:09 AM
When a "59-Year Old" is your best LB...by far, it's a problem...I've been saying it for a long time, these LBs aren't good.

DesertSteel
10-17-2016, 02:55 PM
As good as our offense is (when it's clicking) our defense is just horrible. Yes I know guys are hurt but this defense is NOT built to win in the playoffs. They get no pressure, go through phases when they simply cannot tackle. The secondary can't catch balls thrown right to them ...

If our offense stumbles like it did today and in Philly (two lesser teams) this defense has no chance.

The number one priority has to be to build this defense or bring in a coordinator that can somehow drum up some pressure.

We need a Mike Munchak for the Defense.

pczach
10-17-2016, 03:57 PM
This defense is marginal when healthy. With it's two best players injured, it's well below the line. Hargrave has shown nothing since the games began to count. Artie Burns has shown some talent, but rookie corners are guaranteed to make some costly mental mistakes, as he has. Mitchell is getting on my nerves with his dumb dirty play. Boy I miss Ryan Clark.

Mitchell got called for two personal fouls that weren't personal fouls. He got physical after tackling someone on the sideline. I saw that about 15 times throughout that game, and Mitchell was the only guy they called it on. The second one, a runner is running down the field along the sideline inbounds, and Mitchell hits him with one foot on the field. It's a bullshit call. It's not dirty play. That was a horrible call.

pczach
10-17-2016, 04:59 PM
When a "59-Year Old" is your best LB...by far, it's a problem...I've been saying it for a long time, these LBs aren't good.

Shazier is the best LB on this team by a mile. Dupree may be the second best. Both are out right now. Timmons is still able to play every down, Harrison is not.

Everyone needs to stop talking about how great Harrison is. He's wonderful for his age, but he is a liability in coverage, and he can only play limited snaps.

Jarvis Jones is not very good. We know that.

When they are completely healthy, they are a decent group because of the talent of Shazier and the upside of Dupree. After that it's a bit of a crapshoot.

The trade deadline is in a couple weeks. Do they look at picking up a player like Cameron Wake from the Dolphins to make a run? Then hope that Dupree comes back, Chickillo continues to develop, and Harrison is allowed to stay fresh and just come in to rush the passer?

I just don't know that they would give up a significant draft pick for a veteran player, or that they would have enough cap space to make something like that happen.

teegre
10-17-2016, 05:02 PM
The defense is young... and young can be inconsistent.

16, 16, 34
14, 13, 30

I foresee a similar pattern... with a slight improvement by season's end.

teens, teens, low-thirties
teens, teens, high-twenties
teens...

Mojouw
10-17-2016, 05:36 PM

16, 16, 34
14, 13, 30

teens...

I can see that happening as well. Good offensive gameplanners are going to show the youngsters on this defense something that looks like what they have seen before but simply isn't. They read the wrong keys and get caught wrong footed. Extra big play here or there - leads to points. Then Butler gets them correct and the cycle starts again. No other way to get the experience though.

LloydWoodson
10-17-2016, 08:21 PM
Mitchell got called for two personal fouls that weren't personal fouls. He got physical after tackling someone on the sideline. I saw that about 15 times throughout that game, and Mitchell was the only guy they called it on. The second one, a runner is running down the field along the sideline inbounds, and Mitchell hits him with one foot on the field. It's a bullshit call. It's not dirty play. That was a horrible call.

Guaranteed the NFL refs have an unwritten "instigator rule" like in hockey. I'm sure there is a memo to give more personal fouls and ejections to cut down on fighting etc.

SteelerFanInStl
10-18-2016, 07:23 AM

16, 16, 34
14, 13, 30

teens...

I agree but the veterans, like Gay, have to play better and set a better example. There are too many missed tackles and missed assignments by our veterans also.

Steelermania
10-18-2016, 07:52 AM
Guaranteed the NFL refs have an unwritten "instigator rule" like in hockey. I'm sure there is a memo to give more personal fouls and ejections to cut down on fighting etc.
Mitchell gave the guy on the sideline a shove after he knocked him out of bounds. That's why he was flagged. On the other play, as he got ready to get up, he pushed the guys shoulder into the turf. In a game that was already chippy, a player with his rep is going to get flagged every time.

steel striker
10-18-2016, 11:20 AM
Bottom line the defense has to play better missed tackles lack of turn overs not much pressure on the qb's. So far this year this team either plays great or lays an egg.

teegre
10-18-2016, 02:21 PM
I agree but the veterans, like Gay, have to play better and set a better example. There are too many missed tackles and missed assignments by our veterans also.

My biggest axe to grind is with Tuitt.

I've predicted that he would be a HOFer... but, right now, he is averaging one missed-tackle per game (tackles that would stop runs from ever getting into the young, non-tackling secondary).

SteelerFanInStl
10-19-2016, 07:39 AM
My biggest axe to grind is with Tuitt.

I've predicted that he would be a HOFer... but, right now, he is averaging one missed-tackle per game (tackles that would stop runs from ever getting into the young, non-tackling secondary).

Yea, he's not playing up to his ability right now either. All of these missed tackles just drive me nuts.

86WARD
10-19-2016, 12:21 PM
Shazier is the best LB on this team by a mile. Dupree may be the second best. Both are out right now. Timmons is still able to play every down, Harrison is not.

Everyone needs to stop talking about how great Harrison is. He's wonderful for his age, but he is a liability in coverage, and he can only play limited snaps.

Jarvis Jones is not very good. We know that.

When they are completely healthy, they are a decent group because of the talent of Shazier and the upside of Dupree. After that it's a bit of a crapshoot.

The trade deadline is in a couple weeks. Do they look at picking up a player like Cameron Wake from the Dolphins to make a run? Then hope that Dupree comes back, Chickillo continues to develop, and Harrison is allowed to stay fresh and just come in to rush the passer?

I just don't know that they would give up a significant draft pick for a veteran player, or that they would have enough cap space to make something like that happen.

Shazier can't stay on the field consistently, Timmons is a mess most of the time, Dupree has potential, but he needs to stay on the field. Moats is just in a daze. Harrison is the most dependable and probably most productive LB at this stage.

Potential is great and all, "prospects" are great...but neither wins you championships.

If I'm starting a new team today and I can choose any of those players as my number one LB, I'll take Harrison every time. The others there's just too much unknown.

tube517
10-19-2016, 01:39 PM
This defense just misses so many tackles, it's not even funny anymore.

It's not even "Tackle the catch" anymore. Just "Tackle!"