PDA

View Full Version : Correlating or Causation? Coates and His Drops

Craic
10-13-2016, 06:10 PM
So, today I've been reading a bit on Sammy Coates. As it turns out, he had a injury on his hand (finger?) that was bad enough to need stitches. Coates came out later and said (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/More-opportunity-for-Burns-/119a2a01-004a-4df4-b78e-208246ff3594):

Coates said he’s dealing with pain and swelling issues after getting stitches at halftime of the Jets game.

“I got it numbed up when they put in the stitches,” he said. “I couldn’t really feel my hand.”

So, I wondered, could that be the reason for his drops last game? Here's what I found.

1st Quarter
10:25 - Coates reception, 72 yards TD.

2nd Quarter
11:07 reception, 23 yards
6:05 incomplete - deep right. I don't remember if this was a drop or something else.
1:04 incomplete - deep left. Same as above, but I think this was a drop
1:00 reception, 19 yards
:46 incomplete - short middle

3rd Quarter
11:21 incomplete - deep right
9:05 incomplete - short right
4:07 reception, 22 yards

4th Quarter
5:38 reception, 8 yards
4:25 reception, 13 yards
1:51 reception, 5 yards, TD.

Now, depending on how many shots he got to numb the finger, you can figure it took a while before he could feel anything but pressure. So . . . that would account easily for his two incomplete receptions in the third quarter. In the second quarter, depending on when he cut it, at least one, if not two or three of those incomplete receptions can be blamed on a very painful cut and possible inability to squeeze the ball once it touched his hands. I remember the announcer saying something about it lat in the second quarter, probably around his incomplete at 1:04.

What I especially like about the kid is he didn't make it an excuse. Instead, he just agreed he has to get better.

teegre
10-14-2016, 12:04 AM
As you said, and as I said in another thread: the fact that Coates fought through the drops and ended the game with three catches is HUGE.

(The anti-Sweed.)

pczach
10-15-2016, 09:33 AM
It's hilarious to me that there are Steelers fans that were wigging out over the loss of Bryant for the season, saying he was irreplaceable, and now that Sammie Coates is making plays just like Bryant did...but also dropping passes like Bryant did....many of the same fans that wigged out are acting like the world is ending and Coates needs to be taken off the field for..........................DHB?????????????

Coates leads the league in yards per catch.

He is stretching the field, and giving the offense breathing room.

He has dropped more than a few passes, especially against the Jets. Cue panic here.... :willy:

After finding out that he had a major laceration that required stitches and possibly a broken finger, does anyone feel the same way about him with that knowledge? You would think not but, unfortunately, that's not the case.

To me, overcoming the drops in the game after the injury and the painkiller that was applied to the hand is huge. He went out there and toughed it out for the team and overcame some adversity to help the team. If AB cut his hand, got multiple stitches, broke a finger, dropped a few passes and still had 139 yards receiving..... the love and praise that would be gushing from this message board would be sickening.

A young, explosive player that is only 6 games into the role that Bryant had for a couple of years and matching his production and effect on the offense is a good thing.

There are 31 other teams that would be doing backflips if they had a second year player replacing the WR labeled as maybe the most explosive talent in football at his position.....and the offense didn't lose a step.

Everyone that says he needs to be taken out and replaced needs to relax and let the man work on his game, heal up, and improve.

He has nothing to apologize for. He is the most talented and qualified WR to play the role of Bryant, and that's not going to change. Thankfully the coaches understand that and are the ones making the decision as to who gets on the field.

If before the season you had told fans that through five games Sammie Coates would have a stat line of 19 receptions, 421 yards, 22.2 average yards per catch, 84.2 yards per game, 2 TD's, 7 plays over 20 yards, 6 plays over 40 yards, 15 of his catches went for first downs, and a first down % of 78.9 with zero fumbles.......they would be doing cartwheels.

polamalubeast
10-15-2016, 09:37 AM
It's hilarious to me that there are Steelers fans that were wigging out over the loss of Bryant for the season, saying he was irreplaceable, and now that Sammie Coates is making plays just like Bryant did...but also dropping passes like Bryant did....many of the same fans that wigged out are acting like the world is ending and Coates needs to be taken off the field for..........................DHB?????????????

Coates leads the league in yards per catch.

He is stretching the field, and giving the offense breathing room.

He has dropped more than a few passes, especially against the Jets. Cue panic here.... :willy:

After finding out that he had a major laceration that required stitches and possibly a broken finger, does anyone feel the same way about him with that knowledge? You would think not but, unfortunately, that's not the case.

To me, overcoming the drops in the game after the injury and the painkiller that was applied to the hand is huge. He went out there and toughed it out for the team and overcame some adversity to help the team. If AB cut his hand, got multiple stitches, broke a finger, dropped a few passes and still had 139 yards receiving..... the love praise that would be gushing from this message board would be sickening.

A young, explosive player that is only 6 games into the role that Bryant had for a couple of years and matching his production and effect on the offense is a good thing.

There are 31 other teams that would be doing backflips if they had a second year player replacing the WR labeled as maybe the most explosive talent in football at his position.....and the offense didn't lose a step.

Everyone that says he needs to be taken out and replaced needs to relax and let the man work on his game, heal up, and improve.

He has nothing to apologize for. He is the most talented and qualified WR to play the role of Bryant, and that's not going to change. Thankfully the coaches understand that and are the ones making the decision as to who gets on the field.

If before the season you had told fans that through five games Sammie Coates would have a stat line of 19 receptions, 421 yards, 22.2 average yards per catch, 84.2 yards per game, 2 TD's, 7 plays over 20 yards, 6 plays over 40 yards, 15 of his catches went for first downs, and a first down % of 78.9 with zero fumbles.......they would be doing cartwheels.

:thumbsup:

vader29
10-15-2016, 11:43 AM
and now that Sammie Coates is making plays just like Bryant did...but also dropping passes like Bryant did....
Let's just hope he doesn't smoke weed like Bryant did. :crossed:

Steel Peon
10-15-2016, 01:11 PM
Coates needs to be taken off the field for..........................DHB?????????????

Heard people say that too, and it sounds like something spoken inside an insane asylum. DHB has had many chances to step out from under his own shadow in the past, and has gotten a limb or 2 out there for everyone to see, but then quickly shrinks back into his dark refuge. DHB is a solid #3 (or 4) option at this point, and I think that's the way it should stay.

86WARD
10-16-2016, 03:57 AM
At what point did Coates break his finger because he was dropping balls from beginning to end...

polamalubeast
10-16-2016, 07:24 AM
At what point did Coates break his finger because he was dropping balls from beginning to end...

It was at the end of the second quarter I think.