PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign Karlos Williams to practice squad

SteelerFanInStl
10-12-2016, 08:51 AM
We just signed Karlos Williams.

786201916418170880 (https://twitter.com/steelers/status/786201916418170880)

https://twitter.com/steelers/status/786201916418170880

I think this is a solid signing. He played very well for the Bills. With big brother Vince on the roster, he should be able to keep him under control.

BlackAndGold
10-12-2016, 08:56 AM
Nice!!!

Lets hope he keeps his head on straight.

Mojouw
10-12-2016, 10:21 AM
Great. A RB with a history of problems keeping his weight under control combined with drug use and being a general knuckle-head. This will be a wonderful signing when due to the annual injury parade at RB, Williams is the next man up. but he can't get up because he weighs 270 and is stoned.

Big bro better keep his ass in line and working out!

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/karlos-williams?id=2552380

I liked this idea a lot more earlier in the NFL year when it didn't involve cutting Cobb. But this fits with the Steelers recent player personnel philosophy - get high reward athletes on the roster and straighten them out into football players. Williams is a far superior athlete to Cobb.

tube517
10-12-2016, 10:33 AM
Now, with whatever is wrong w/DeAngelo's knee, they are getting their backup plan ready to avoid catastrophes like the 2014 playoff game.

SteelerFanInStl
10-12-2016, 10:35 AM
I'm willing to take a chance on a guy who averaged 5.6 ypc last season. He has a much bigger upside than Frenchy and we have Vince to keep him in line.

BigNastyDefense
10-12-2016, 11:34 AM
I'm sure Vince is going to sit his ass down and explain to him what it means to be a Steeler and that bullshit won't be tolerated.

Hopefully he can do well if he's promoted to the 53 man roster.

Rara
10-12-2016, 11:34 AM
I'm happy that the Steelers signed Karlos, even if he's on the practice squad. Hopefully, during his suspension, that he learned from his mistakes and got into shape. This signing could be what we currently have with DeAngelo in the near future, a quality back up! Also, as mentioned on here..the Steelers need to be prepared so they can avoid last year's issue with injuries (having Tousaint starting against the Broncos in playoffs).

steelreserve
10-12-2016, 11:38 AM
This makes a lot more sense now than when he was on suspension.

Low risk, potentially high reward ... that's the kind of player you like to see a couple of filling out the end of your list.

ALLD
10-12-2016, 06:06 PM
Practice squad, he is not starting yet.

SteelerFanInStl
10-12-2016, 06:47 PM
Practice squad, he is not starting yet.

Who said anything about him starting?

j-d-s
10-12-2016, 07:35 PM
New pot buddy for Bell. Not good.

86WARD
10-12-2016, 07:40 PM
Who said anything about him starting?

Well today he could be one injury away from starting...

Rara
10-12-2016, 08:30 PM
New pot buddy for Bell. Not good.

I can't see Vince allowing his brother to get like that again.

SteelerFanInStl
10-12-2016, 09:06 PM
Well today he could be one injury away from starting...

If that happens then at least we now have someone with experience that we can put in there. I'll take him any day over Frenchy.

tube517
10-13-2016, 09:37 AM
Great. A RB with a history of problems keeping his weight under control combined with drug use and being a general knuckle-head. This will be a wonderful signing when due to the annual injury parade at RB, Williams is the next man up. but he can't get up because he weighs 270 and is stoned.

Big bro better keep his ass in line and working out!

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/karlos-williams?id=2552380

I liked this idea a lot more earlier in the NFL year when it didn't involve cutting Cobb. But this fits with the Steelers recent player personnel philosophy - get high reward athletes on the roster and straighten them out into football players. Williams is a far superior athlete to Cobb.

Looking at his stats last year, 9 TDs in just 104 touches.

86WARD
10-13-2016, 07:39 PM
If that happens then at least we now have someone with experience that we can put in there. I'll take him any day over Frenchy.

Agree.

tube517
10-14-2016, 01:53 AM
In 1st Pittsburgh Steelers practice, Karlos Williams didn't look like a practice squad RB

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2016/10/steeler_karlos_williams_practice.html

Psycho Ward 86
10-14-2016, 02:54 PM
this might be a dumb question. can a practice squad player DECLINE to join another team that approaches them? im really hoping Karlos can stick around

j-d-s
10-14-2016, 10:29 PM
From what I've heard practice squad players are technically a special type of free agents, so probably they can decline. But since practice squad players can only be signed by other teams to their 53-man roster, it's hard to imagine that anybody would decline because 53-man means much better contract, chance to play etc.

Bluecoat96
10-14-2016, 10:40 PM
Can't we pay a practice squad player a comparable salary to someone on the 53 man squad? I believe we did that with Finney last year. Maybe they gave Karlos Williams a little higher than average pay for the practice squad.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Psycho Ward 86
10-14-2016, 10:44 PM
Can't we pay a practice squad player a comparable salary to someone on the 53 man squad? I believe we did that with Finney last year. Maybe they gave Karlos Williams a little higher than average pay for the practice squad.

just looked it up and we gave Finney a pay raise (when prorated to a full season) that would have amounted to the league minimium wage. im definitely in favor of doing the same with Karlos if he's looking good. the risk reward is too good here

BlackAndGold
10-15-2016, 06:17 AM
Shouldn't come to a surprise he's looking great. He is a talented player who should have been drafted higher if he didn't deal with immaturity.

If he continues to look, and I expect him to do so. Could they bring him up to the 53? I'm not sure who you cut, but you can't let talent like that sit on the PS. (albeit this team has ways of doing thing, and making letting Williams stay on the PS will/could teach him grow up and to keep working...)

Bluecoat96
10-15-2016, 07:53 AM
I wonder if they're thinking that he's the possible heir to D'Angelo Williams' spot for next year?

Mojouw
10-15-2016, 12:19 PM
In a perfect world, the team is able to swap Williams for French cafe. I realize I had negative things to say about Williams, but I do realize he is a talented player when he is in shape and motivated. Interesting to see how it turns out.

Points to to another interesting trend with Tomlin. No fear in taking on a knucklehead. Not the only NFL team that will look at the talent first and other issues second but have not become like the Cowboys or the Bengals where knuckleheadis loses games. Steelers just do dope suspensions....

j-d-s
10-15-2016, 12:49 PM

We can do that, but it's still possible to cut someone from the practice squad at any time. Not sure whether it's allowed to guarantee money to practice squad players.

tube517
11-23-2016, 03:12 PM

Well, there goes that experiment.

DesertSteel
11-23-2016, 03:14 PM

Sweet!! He can keep Bryant company.

Count Steeler
11-23-2016, 04:51 PM

So much for older brother Vince keeping him in line.

Moose
11-23-2016, 05:59 PM
Nothing good with this idiot.

steelreserve
11-23-2016, 06:10 PM
Weed 3, Steelers 0.

... no wonder Snoop Dogg likes this team.

vader29
11-23-2016, 06:57 PM
Weed 3, Steelers 0.

... no wonder Snoop Dogg likes this team.
http://i64.tinypic.com/2yxj705.png

st33lersguy
11-23-2016, 07:15 PM
Easy cut

pczach
11-23-2016, 08:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/EeNXmGY.jpg

86WARD
11-24-2016, 01:54 AM
At what point do you question the Steelers character evaluation? 90% of the league probably smokes weed...yet the Steelers get stuck with the dumb ones...

Steeldude
11-24-2016, 02:56 AM
At what point do you question the Steelers character evaluation? 90% of the league probably smokes weed...yet the Steelers get stuck with the dumb ones...

I doubt 90% smoke weed.

Is there such thing as a smart weed smoker?

How soon before the Steelers go out to find another drug addict? I think they will hold off until 2017.

salamander
11-24-2016, 05:44 AM
Good job, Steelers. Gonna go out and pick up any other dumbasses with bad judgement? If I got caught smoking weed by my employer, I wouldn't just be suspended - I would be flat out fired.

Devilsdancefloor
11-24-2016, 12:53 PM
well how long before bell is suspended is what i am more concerned about....

st33lersguy
11-24-2016, 01:56 PM
No more low character players. I'm sick of them

Mojouw
11-24-2016, 02:16 PM
Everyone liked it when they thought they were getting a 5 ypc "power" back for cheap. Now, he does the exact same things that he has been doing everywhere he's gone since college and everyone freaks out.

This board is funny every time!

fansince'76
11-24-2016, 03:37 PM
I doubt 90% smoke weed.

I think around 90% is right on the money...

teegre
11-24-2016, 04:05 PM
A fourth-string, practice squad RB got suspended.

:director: TIME TO SELL THE FRANCHISE!!!

ALLD
11-24-2016, 04:28 PM
Some people will never learn. You can hit them in the head with a brick and they don't realize you are trying to tell them something.

Steel Peon
11-24-2016, 06:07 PM
I don't think the report specifically stated the substance he was suspended for, but I know a few pot smokin friends who've passed plenty of whiz quizzes in their time by either drinking something or taking special pills, so why can't our guys? Is the NFL's test just more thorough? Is it Random with no notice?

86WARD
11-24-2016, 08:34 PM
I doubt 90% smoke weed.

Is there such thing as a smart weed smoker?

How soon before the Steelers go out to find another drug addict? I think they will hold off until 2017.

Probably not as high as 90% but I'd be willing to bet it's pretty damn high...no pun intended...

Psycho Ward 86
11-24-2016, 11:50 PM
Good job, Steelers. Gonna go out and pick up any other dumbasses with bad judgement? If I got caught smoking weed by my employer, I wouldn't just be suspended - I would be flat out fired.

why all the fuss? this is a practice squad player for crying out loud. he was a boom or bust prospect there to begin with. the upside was way too good to pass up. i commend us for taking a harmless shot at this. it just didnt happen to work out.

the karlos williams experiment should officially end, but im still glad we took a chance. looks like were drafting RB in the middle rounds next season

pczach
11-25-2016, 06:08 AM
why all the fuss? this is a practice squad player for crying out loud. he was a boom or bust prospect there to begin with. the upside was way too good to pass up. i commend us for taking a harmless shot at this. it just didnt happen to work out.

the karlos williams experiment should officially end, but im still glad we took a chance. looks like were drafting RB in the middle rounds next season

That's a good concise breakdown of the situation. There's really nothing to get upset about.

On to the next....

st33lersguy
11-26-2016, 09:26 AM

I'm hearing the RB class is supposed to be really deep this year so the team can possibly draft a really good player in the middle rounds. That may be best for the team anyway.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
11-26-2016, 10:00 PM

the karlos williams experiment should officially end, but im still glad we took a chance. looks like were drafting RB in the middle rounds next season Great post and you get it.

steelreserve
11-28-2016, 03:19 PM
That's a good concise breakdown of the situation. There's really nothing to get upset about.

On to the next....

Sure, he was a low-risk longshot ... but man, what a fool.

Whether he actually "cost" us anything or not, it's still frustrating to see prospects just get deleted over stupid shit like that.

86WARD
11-29-2016, 03:45 PM
The question remains should he have been signed. The Steelers character evaluation still has to be in question in one way or another. Sure it happens, but it's been happening a lot lately...or is it just the way the league is now?

Mojouw
11-29-2016, 04:51 PM
The question remains should he have been signed. The Steelers character evaluation still has to be in question in one way or another. Sure it happens, but it's been happening a lot lately...or is it just the way the league is now?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suspensions_in_the_National_Football_Leagu e

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/fines-suspensions/

Steelers not the most and not the least. League-wide trend.

steelreserve
11-30-2016, 12:13 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suspensions_in_the_National_Football_Leagu e

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/fines-suspensions/

Steelers not the most and not the least. League-wide trend.

This is important, not about the Steelers but the league's idiot policies in general.

See how it is now? They've made a big deal about "cleaning up the image" of the league, with suspensions for marijuana and common street crime leading the way in that charge. And what is the result? What is the typical fan's reaction to it?

It's not "Good for the NFL, they're taking a stand." It's "Man, look at all the guys getting suspended. Our team is full of potheads; we have problems judging character," even when we're just average. Then when we find out we're not unique: "Man, look at all the guys getting suspended. The whole league is full of weed smokers and wife-beaters."

In reality, the number of potheads and wife-beaters is probably about the same as it's always been. All they've succeeded in doing is drawing attention to it. You just don't see drastic changes happen in a sample size of 1,500+ like that. Teams are still just as tempted by star potential to take risks on those types of players, they just get pointed out prior to drafting/signing them (drawing even more attention to it). The whole thing, much like Roger Goodell's entire tenure as commissioner, has been a model case study for how NOT to manage a PR crisis.

SteelerFanInStl
11-30-2016, 12:28 PM

Sure, why not? They didn't lose anything by signing him. He's an NFL proven HB talent and would have been a much better option than Frenchy to pair with Bell when DeAngelo is gone. Unfortunately he couldn't keep himself clean and it didn't work out. We're no worse off than we were.

Mojouw
11-30-2016, 01:14 PM
This is important, not about the Steelers but the league's idiot policies in general.

See how it is now? They've made a big deal about "cleaning up the image" of the league, with suspensions for marijuana and common street crime leading the way in that charge. And what is the result? What is the typical fan's reaction to it?

It's not "Good for the NFL, they're taking a stand." It's "Man, look at all the guys getting suspended. Our team is full of potheads; we have problems judging character," even when we're just average. Then when we find out we're not unique: "Man, look at all the guys getting suspended. The whole league is full of weed smokers and wife-beaters."

In reality, the number of potheads and wife-beaters is probably about the same as it's always been. All they've succeeded in doing is drawing attention to it. You just don't see drastic changes happen in a sample size of 1,500+ like that. Teams are still just as tempted by star potential to take risks on those types of players, they just get pointed out prior to drafting/signing them (drawing even more attention to it). The whole thing, much like Roger Goodell's entire tenure as commissioner, has been a model case study for how NOT to manage a PR crisis.

Couldn't agree more. Goodell's whole "protect the shield" thing is about the most tone deaf thing ever. Just this week the NFL's official Twitter account (Full Disclosure: Not on Twitter so I am taking other people's word on this) made its central image a photo of Tyreek Hill. Now Hill has been making a ton of critical and impressive plays for the Chiefs lately, but he is also a two-time loser when it comes to domestic abuse charges that he plead guilt to. Huh?

The NFL cracks down and basically entraps players with its drug testing policies. Then it takes individuals with poor impulse control and removes them from the only structured environment they are used to and is shocked when they continue to fail. IF they were actually interested in anything other PR and making money, they would bar players from football related activities but allow them access to the team facilities, trainers, counselors, teammates, etc as individual players attempted to rehabilitate themselves. Further, they (the league) should encourage teams to employ a variety of counselors and advisors to assist players that have problems with mental, narcotics, alcohol, or other life issues. But that would actually be taking the players side rather than simply hoping they can score a cheap PR victory.

This is the same league that insists that player safety is a top priority but then allows teams to play on Thursday after a Sunday night game. Then wonders why players are getting injured.

Goodell has got to be the worst major sports commissioner I can remember in some time.

tube517
11-30-2016, 01:32 PM
http://thebiglead.com/2016/11/29/nfls-official-twitter-account-now-features-tyreek-hill-on-its-header/

Psycho Ward 86
11-30-2016, 06:19 PM

no question he should have been signed. the upside on him was probably higher on him than any other practice squad player in the league. thats a no brainer. practice squad of all places is the place to take risks

BlackAndGold
03-09-2017, 04:26 PM
Karlos Williams was waived today

SteelerFanInStl
03-09-2017, 05:34 PM
Karlos Williams was waived today

The Steelers just can't make up their damn mind. We'd better draft a HB because Frenchy isn't good enough to be a starter and isn't even a good backup. Bell is the only good HB on the roster.