PDA

View Full Version : Bell, the best ever?

DesertSteel
10-06-2016, 10:39 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/10/06/On-the-Steelers-RB-Bell-putting-up-historic-NFL-numbers/stories/201610060077

Ed is now writing that Bell may be the best back of all-time. Nowhere in the article does he mention that he doesn't think the Steelers should re-sign him, as he wrote about all summer.

tube517
10-06-2016, 11:04 AM
He has the potential.

Too early to tell if he can reach that.

Two things he needs to avoid, obviously: Pot and Injuries

BigNastyDefense
10-06-2016, 11:31 AM
It's a possibility that he could reach that. But he needs to stay healthy and stop failing/missing drug tests. If he can do those two things, then the sky is the limit. He may never break the rushing record, but he could break the record for total offensive yards.

DesertSteel
10-06-2016, 11:49 AM
I wonder if his first game performance changed some opinions about re-signing him. Seems that people are singing a different tune now, like Ed B.

ALLD
10-06-2016, 01:20 PM
He exploded in his first game back. That is usually a good sign. All of the above, he needs to stay away from pot and injuries or he is Gale Sayers instead of a pass catching Jim Brown.

st33lersguy
10-06-2016, 01:52 PM
Too early to put him in the conversation. 35 games played and 1 pro bowl appearance doesn't justify this kind of talk

Rotorhead
10-06-2016, 02:10 PM
I agree, he will need to avoid the injuries and keep out of trouble. He has the potential to be great. Only time will tell.

dislocatedday
10-06-2016, 02:27 PM
This past Monday I said to one of my great friends (who is also a Steelers fan) that Bell looks like he could be the most talented RB ever to play the game. He just seems to play the position on a different level than anyone else currently. His vision, patience, cutting ability, and ability to decelerate and accelerate are tremendous.........plus he has power too........and I have not even mentioned his receiving ability. That does not make him the best ever, but I do not think there is anybody else in the league right now that is really that close to his ability.

Perhaps Marshall Faulk, Edgerrin James, and Ladainian Tomlinson had similar skills to Bell in the fairly recent past.........but I just don't remember them moving quite like Bell does.

Steeldude
10-06-2016, 02:33 PM
How about Bell putting together a good full season first.

vasteeler
10-06-2016, 02:40 PM
of course he is the best ever. and i'm not* a homer and i never* see things through black and gold glasses or drink the black and gold kool aid

* not and never = always

fansince'76
10-06-2016, 03:10 PM
I wonder if his first game performance changed some opinions about re-signing him. Seems that people are singing a different tune now, like Ed B.

Bouchette has been mailing it in for years now.

pczach
10-06-2016, 03:33 PM
As everybody above me has stated....he is nowhere near the best RB ever. He has a lot to do, and has to do it a lot longer.

I might be his biggest fan, as I stated on other message boards that the Steelers should draft him, and that I thought he would be the best running back in the NFL in a very short period of time.

That said, any talk of him being the best RB ever is very, very, very, premature....and just silly at this point.

Let's hope he cleans his act up with the weed, and that he continues to play great football and stay healthy. The rest will take care of itself.

Edman
10-06-2016, 03:45 PM
He's not the best ever, but damn is he a special player.

teegre
10-06-2016, 04:06 PM
I live in San Diego.

So, I saw every single game during LT's 2006 campaign... and, THAT was the best year I have ever seen by any player. LaDainian accounted for 32 touchdowns that year: 28 rushing, 3 receiving, 1 passing.

In his best year, thus far, Le'Veon scored 1/3 as many TDs (11).

Call me when Le'Veon gets in the 20s. Then, we'll talk.

Born2Steel
10-06-2016, 04:09 PM
If this is true, that would make the top 3 ever; Bell, Bettis, and Franco.....:nw:

pczach
10-06-2016, 04:15 PM
If this is true, that would make the top 3 ever; Bell, Bettis, and Franco.....:nw:

I thought Isaac Redman was also on the Mt Rushmore of running backs! :sofunny:

Steelerette
10-06-2016, 04:24 PM
The way Bell runs reminds me of Herschel Walker. If he has a long healthy career, he'll be in the conversation. But that's a long ways away.

tube517
10-06-2016, 04:42 PM
I thought Isaac Redman was also on the Mt Rushmore of running backs! :sofunny:

Hush your mouth. Jon Kuhn is the 4th. :chuckle:

pczach
10-06-2016, 05:17 PM

Have I spoken out of line? My bad. :chuckle:

Count Steeler
10-06-2016, 05:47 PM
These kinds or articles are maddening. I don't think you should even have these types of discussions on players that have been in the league for less than 5 years.

Best ever? LOOOOOONG way to go.

SteelerFanInStl
10-06-2016, 06:26 PM

Well, Kuhn did score 3 TDs last Sunday. :D

tube517
10-06-2016, 07:16 PM
Well, Kuhn did score 3 TDs last Sunday. :D

His "Bettis"-like stats for the season.

7 carries, 14 yards, 3 TD's.

Gold jacket! :chuckle:

86WARD
10-06-2016, 07:56 PM
Far from the best ever...very far. He's not the best Steelers RB ever...not yet...

zulater
10-07-2016, 07:55 AM
I didn't read the article, but I can see the point he's making. For example if I were to list my top 25 backs in NFL history for sheer ability at peak value would anyone argue my inclusion of Gale Sayers? Billy Sims? Bo Jackson? All three had their careers shortened by injury, but if you saw them when they were at the top of their game you knew they were great ones, a thrill and privilege to watch. Players who's legacy and impact would surpass their sheer numbers for discerning fans. I loved Franco Harris. Absolutely was deserving of his first ballot HOF induction. I think he's underrated in Steelers history for his level of importance and among all time great backs. For example all time leading rusher Emmitt Smith was never that impressive to me. Great line and durability were his two greatest assets. Curtis Martin, Steven Jackson, and Fred Taylor are other examples of guys who put up HOF numbers who never fit my description of great. LeVeon Bell is great! I don't have to see any more from him to realize he's one of the most special talents I've ever had privilege to witness. Whether he'll last long enough to put up a HOF resume, I can't tell you? I wouldn't even try to guess. But that's beside the point. I'm just thrilled we got him and I pray he stays healthy!

Hawkman
10-07-2016, 08:37 AM
. I'm just thrilled we got him and I pray he stays healthy!

This.......for me.

ScottLaRock
10-07-2016, 12:10 PM
Bell has skills but isn't there when we need. Has he played a complete season? I wish the young man would quit rapping about being great and just be great- like the great ones do

DesertSteel
10-07-2016, 12:50 PM
I thought Isaac Redman was also on the Mt Rushmore of running backs! :sofunny:Rocky!

lipps83
10-07-2016, 04:58 PM
Brown isn't even ready to be in the 'best ever' conversation for wide receivers.

Give Bell a couple more years.

And no, I don't care if he is the best ever, still not worth paying him what he is going to want when it comes to resigning him.

Edman
10-09-2016, 07:09 PM
Second Week in a row where Bell showcased how dangerous he is. I don't care what people say, he's in another stratosphere. He must be accounted for when he's on the field. I don't know any player the Steelers have ever had the has scared the shit out of an opposing D like Bell has.

The Best ever? Does it matter? He is very damn good and I'm so glad we have him.

Just stay away from the pot.

Steeldude
10-09-2016, 07:14 PM
Just stay away from the pot.

I don't think he can stay away.

teegre
10-09-2016, 10:17 PM
Second Week in a row where Bell showcased how dangerous he is. I don't care what people say, he's in another stratosphere. He must be accounted for when he's on the field. I don't know any player the Steelers have ever had the has scared the shit out of an opposing D like Bell has.

The Best ever? Does it matter? He is very damn good and I'm so glad we have him.

He's no Gino Torretta...

Edman
10-10-2016, 11:33 AM
I live in San Diego.

So, I saw every single game during LT's 2006 campaign... and, THAT was the best year I have ever seen by any player. LaDainian accounted for 32 touchdowns that year: 28 rushing, 3 receiving, 1 passing.

To think San Diego took the ball out of LT's hands for the playoff game.

teegre
10-10-2016, 02:14 PM
To think San Diego took the ball out of LT's hands for the playoff game.

Marlon McCree :doh:

cold-hard-steel
10-10-2016, 05:55 PM
He's no Gino Torretta...

i think he is closer to the " Ricky Williams " type player.

polamalubeast
10-13-2016, 11:08 AM

SteeleReign
10-13-2016, 09:51 PM
This past Monday I said to one of my great friends (who is also a Steelers fan) that Bell looks like he could be the most talented RB ever to play the game. He just seems to play the position on a different level than anyone else currently. His vision, patience, cutting ability, and ability to decelerate and accelerate are tremendous.........plus he has power too........and I have not even mentioned his receiving ability. That does not make him the best ever, but I do not think there is anybody else in the league right now that is really that close to his ability.

Perhaps Marshall Faulk, Edgerrin James, and Ladainian Tomlinson had similar skills to Bell in the fairly recent past.........but I just don't remember them moving quite like Bell does.
Dude. Marshall Faulk. Go watch highlights of him in high school, college, and of course, the pros. I'd forgotten just how sick he was. He may be the closest comparison if Bell keeps this up.

of course he is the best ever. and i'm not* a homer and i never* see things through black and gold glasses or drink the black and gold kool aid

* not and never = always

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

SteelerFanInStl
10-14-2016, 07:43 AM
Dude. Marshall Faulk. Go watch highlights of him in high school, college, and of course, the pros. I'd forgotten just how sick he was. He may be the closest comparison if Bell keeps this up.

Faulk is the player that I always compare Bell too. The skillset is very similar although Bell is bigger.

I think that Bell is unique though in his amazing patience at the line and his ability to pick the correct hole and hit it.

polamalubeast
10-14-2016, 07:53 AM
Faulk is the player that I always compare Bell too. The skillset is very similar although Bell is bigger.

I think that Bell is unique though in his amazing patience at the line and his ability to pick the correct hole and hit it.

same for me.

SteeleReign
10-14-2016, 07:55 AM

I agree. I believe Bell's patience and quick burst are superior to Faulk, but Marshall had that 6th gear - when he hit the hole, he was goooooooooooone!

LloydWoodson
10-14-2016, 08:44 AM
I think you have to hit 10,000 rushing yards to be in the convo for best ever. Even then the list is even smaller.

Currently only AD is worthy of the convo.

Let Bell lead today's NFL in rushing a couple times or even once. Calling him the best ever is lunacy. I am curious to wonder how Bell would have run behind the 2007-12 OL. He would still be highly effective but his ypc would drop .5 yards at least I think.