PDA

View Full Version : Josh Gordon about to be released - do the Steelers take a chance?

awe1028
10-01-2016, 05:07 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/10/josh-gordon-burns-last-bridge-cleveland-team-expected-release/

According to the piece above the Browns are tired of Gordon and it seems they are about to release him. Yes he has some problems but he is as we all now very talented. Imagine him Brown and Bryant as the starting WRs. Should the Steelers take a chance? (This of course will be dependent on whether he ever returns)

Steeldude
10-01-2016, 05:25 PM
No thanks. The Steelers already have a problem WR. The Steelers need more Heath Miller type players. Just my opinion.

86WARD
10-01-2016, 05:26 PM
I would. It's not difficult to put together a nice, team friendly deal that will cost the Steelers zero if he screws up and leaves. They also have a couple young guys behind him that if he were released, they could step in. The one thing that they may be hesitant about is that they have a problem child of their own...matter of fact, a couple...

SteelerFanInStl
10-01-2016, 06:00 PM
Hell no!

Steel Peon
10-01-2016, 07:04 PM
Yes, Of course! Because, we definitely need another shoulda', coulda', woulda' been star WR who can't pass a whiz quiz, and who won't ever play a snap for us, all while keeping Markus Wheaton gainfully employed and on the field!

ALLD
10-01-2016, 07:59 PM
He checked himself into rehab. He will not be able to handle the pressure if we make it to the playoffs.

lipps83
10-01-2016, 08:14 PM
I would take a chance on him, but for his own well being he should probably be out of football for a while so he can try to get himself straightened out.

Take that flyer first though to try to secure some rights to him. If he never plays, he never plays and not a single thing has been lost.

Better he turns himself around in the right direction for the Steelers than the Patriots.

hawaiiansteeler
10-01-2016, 08:50 PM
the day the Steelers sign Josh Gordon:

http://www.trbimg.com/img-52cec9fa/turbine/la-sh-hell-mich-is-freezing-20140109/600

steelreserve
10-02-2016, 02:25 AM
Hell yes we should. That way he and Bryant can take turns being suspended for the season, so we'll always have one of them and they'll only take up one roster spot at a time between them. A real win-win.

j-d-s
10-02-2016, 03:16 AM
Hell yes we should. That way he and Bryant can take turns being suspended for the season, so we'll always have one of them and they'll only take up one roster spot at a time between them. A real win-win.

+1

I would even consider signing Gordon right now, but with no money guaranteed. And obviously he won't get any money before joining the 53-man roster.

By the way, I'd much rather have guys like Bell, Bryant and Gordon on the roster who get suspensions for drugs than ppl who get supensions for personal behavior or worse guys like Burfict and Pacman Jones who are always good for breaking down and drawing 15 yard penalties at the worst possible time.

Born2Steel
10-02-2016, 10:04 AM
I vote no. His arrest warrant was not for pot or drugs. This rehab thing is a cover, IMO. Seen guys do it. Trouble with the law? Claim addiction made you do it and you are seeking help. I got zero trust here.

Drazo85
10-02-2016, 11:01 AM
No. Wishing him good luck with his future endevours.

Shoes
10-02-2016, 11:16 AM

:chuckle:

LloydWoodson
10-02-2016, 01:03 PM
Realistically whoever signs Gordon is going to need a lot of cap room.

st33lersguy
10-02-2016, 01:07 PM
We already have a WR who cares more about drugs than football

hawaiiansteeler
10-02-2016, 02:26 PM
Realistically whoever signs Gordon is going to need a lot of cap room.

i think he would sign if you offered him a bag of weed a day...

http://gephardtdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/bag.jpg

LloydWoodson
10-02-2016, 02:58 PM
We already have a WR who cares more about drugs than football

More like the NFL cares more about its image than player welfare.

Football is probably the only positive part of some of these young men's lives. Kick Gordon out of the league and he will still be an alcoholic just a poor alcoholic.

The NFL should let teams decide that a player is too much of a liability for off field behaviour barring criminal activity.

86WARD
10-02-2016, 03:01 PM
i think he would sign if you offered him a bag of weed a day...

http://gephardtdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/bag.jpg

The Steelers have plenty of connections to get that cheap...if they don't already have some...

ALLD
10-02-2016, 03:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeYsTmIzjkw&list=RDWeYsTmIzjkw#t=0

Devilsdancefloor
10-02-2016, 03:50 PM
No thanks. The Steelers already have a problem WR. The Steelers need more Heath Miller type players. Just my opinion.

QFT we have a josh gordon dont want or need another!!

DesertSteel
10-02-2016, 05:25 PM
No!!!!!!!!!!!! We've already got one (or two)!

BigNastyDefense
10-03-2016, 05:51 AM
Living in Cleveland, I've seen the Josh Gordon saga closer than most of you guys have.

First, if he did fail or miss a drug test while suspended, his career is likely over. It's an indefinite suspension, most guys don't return from those because the NFL either doesn't reinstate them or they never apply for reinstatement.

Second, when he was suspended for 10 games a couple of seasons ago, when he came back he was more of a liability on the field than he was help. He was giving up on routes and honestly just not caring.

Third, we already have a receiver that couldn't pass a drug test to save his life, that I don't trust to be with the team next season because he's going to have to earn that trust. We don't really need another guy to come in who's going to be a bad influence on Bryant.

I have a feeling it's going to come out by the end of the season that Josh Gordon is suspended indefinitely, so why even waste time? He obviously needs to get his life back together, and I think he needs to do that without being connected to an NFL team.

LloydWoodson
10-03-2016, 08:13 AM
Why is anyone discussing this like it is a possibility? There's no cap room. The end.

pczach
10-03-2016, 04:10 PM
No.

Is it possible to vote No twice?

Good God No!

tube517
10-03-2016, 04:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NNOrp_83RU

86WARD
10-03-2016, 05:45 PM
Why is anyone discussing this like it is a possibility? There's no cap room. The end.

Actually, there's plenty of cap space IF they wanted to sign him and it most likely wouldn't take much to do it.

And after Allen and Miller are off the books, they are going to have something like $25-$30M in space for 2017 without an increase...

vader29
10-03-2016, 07:07 PM

LloydWoodson
10-04-2016, 07:36 AM
Actually, there's plenty of cap space IF they wanted to sign him and it most likely wouldn't take much to do it.

And after Allen and Miller are off the books, they are going to have something like $25-$30M in space for 2017 without an increase...

Where did you get those numbers? I saw the Steelers have 7.3M in cap space currently. Allen and Miller are about 7M dead cap hit.

Bell's contract is up this year. So there goes an extra 8M. I think they'll be in around the same shape cap wise next year.

86WARD
10-04-2016, 03:18 PM
Sportrac has them there. Allen and Miller are a little more than 7 but there's a bunch of other garbage that comes off as well.