PDA

View Full Version : To Nobody’s Surprise, Steelers Worse Than Everyone Defending RB Passes

Shoes
09-28-2016, 11:10 AM
Well maybe it's time to give Dirty Red some playing time!

This may not exactly come to you as a shock, but over the course of the first three weeks of the season, no defense in the league has had a harder time stopping running backs from having success in the passing game than have the Pittsburgh Steelers.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/09/nobodys-surprise-steelers-worse-everyone-defending-rb-passes/

tube517
09-28-2016, 11:46 AM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2016/9/26/13061358/optimism-building-jamaal-charles-could-return-for-chiefs-vs-steelers

Great. :sarcasm:

Mojouw
09-28-2016, 12:58 PM
How would Scrappy McPolish fix anything? He is slow and bad in coverage? I like that he got in on goal line packages.

What will help is when the entire middle of the defense that is responsible for covering RB passes gets healthy (Timmons, Shazier, and Golden). Additionally, Timmons, Davis, and Burns have to stop missing tackles when they have guys dead to rights.

It isn't totally scheme, it is simply execution and having the right healthy bodies on the field.

hawaiiansteeler
09-28-2016, 01:13 PM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2016/9/26/13061358/optimism-building-jamaal-charles-could-return-for-chiefs-vs-steelers

Great. :sarcasm:

I'm more worried about their TE Travis Kelce killing us than RB Jamaal Charles returning...

tube517
09-28-2016, 01:14 PM
I'm more worried about their TE Travis Kelce killing us than RB Jamaal Charles returning...

He killed us last year. That's a given.

Shoes
09-28-2016, 02:00 PM
How would Scrappy McPolish fix anything? He is slow and bad in coverage? I like that he got in on goal line packages.

What will help is when the entire middle of the defense that is responsible for covering RB passes gets healthy (Timmons, Shazier, and Golden). Additionally, Timmons, Davis, and Burns have to stop missing tackles when they have guys dead to rights.

It isn't totally scheme, it is simply execution and having the right healthy bodies on the field.

7th round Scrappy can tackle which our 1st and 2nd rounders seem to be having problems with. On another note , anyone know the last time a Steeler 7th rounder made the roster in his rookie season?

teegre
09-28-2016, 02:06 PM
On the Gio Bernard TD:
Burns and Davis both missed tackles.

On the Darren Sproles TD:

MY SOLUTION:
Tackling drills.

Edman
09-28-2016, 02:06 PM
The Steelers are also among the worst in the league in tackling.

I wonder if that correlates to anything?

Born2Steel
09-28-2016, 02:17 PM
The defense is supposed to cover passes, stop the run, pressure the QB, AND tackle? What a bunch of perfectionists.

tube517
09-28-2016, 02:23 PM
7th round Scrappy can tackle which our 1st and 2nd second rounders seem to be having problems with. On another note , anyone know the last time a Steeler 7th rounder made the roster in his rookie season?

Beachum

Shoes
09-28-2016, 02:27 PM
Beachum

Well thats encouraging, maybe scrappy red will get a shot.

StillCurtains
09-28-2016, 02:40 PM
On the Gio Bernard TD:

MY SOLUTION:
Tackling drills.

True but the real issue is the LB's not covering, not shedding blocks and missing the initial tackle. In these situations the secondary is the 2nd line of defense. They can do better shoring that up but Shazier was caught peeking on the Sproles TD and got beat.

The LB's are the first line of defense and if they would actually make the initial play they are supposed to make, the secondary wouldn't have to be in position to clean it up and could conentrate more on their own initial assignments.

- - - Updated - - -

On the Gio Bernard TD:

MY SOLUTION:
Tackling drills.

True but the real issue is the LB's not covering, not shedding blocks and missing the initial tackle. In these situations the secondary is the 2nd line of defense. They can do better shoring that up but Shazier was caught peeking on the Sproles TD and got beat.

The LB's are the first line of defense and if they would actually make the initial play they are supposed to make, the secondary wouldn't have to be in position to clean it up and could concentrate more on their own initial assignments.

Steeldude
09-28-2016, 05:08 PM

Then he should fit right in. Haha.

Timmons can't really cover anyone either and Williams is worse. Timmons doesn't appear to know how to tackle either. I am all for trying to slip these younger players in every once in awhile.

Rotorhead
09-28-2016, 05:26 PM
Shazier was supposed to fix the TE/RB issue, but now that he is hurt yet again . . . I would say bring Mitchell up closer to help with that, but then we leave rookies on the back end and that is not good. So do we bring Shark in more to help with tackling, he is an idiot, but he can tackle?