PDA

View Full Version : Tomlins injury update: Post Eagles

tube517
09-27-2016, 12:05 PM
http://www.steelers.com/news/press-conference-reaction/article-1/Tomlins-injury-update-Post-Eagles/8fb2a1a4-9df0-4948-9f12-86f79e8992d7

“Ramon Foster (chest) is very questionable. Eli Rogers (turf toe) is very questionable. Ryan Shazier (knee) is very questionable. Robert Golden(hamstring) will be evaluated, and we’ll let his practice availability and participation be our guide. Lawrence Timmons, I know you’re wondering about him. He got hurt in the game. He got a puncture wound. We weren’t able to fix it at the stadium. He was transported to a hospital, and they were able to fix it there. He got back to the stadium as the game was ending. He appears to be fine. We’ll watch him for anything that needs to be done with regard to that injury throughout the week, but we expect him to be available to us.

“Sean Davis sustained a back injury during the game, and we’ll check him from an availability standpoint. Him being a young guy, he needs to be able to practice in order to participate in the game.

Vince Williams will likely start for Shazier.

Goose Wallace may not be ready. 3rd string Guard has to probably play for Foster.

Who is Rob Golden and Sean Davis' backup? Shamarko? Yikes.

tube517
09-27-2016, 12:16 PM
http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2016/09/steelers_shazier_rogers_injury.html

steelreserve
09-27-2016, 12:27 PM
So that's who that Finney chap was and why he was seeing so much action. At least Foster is probably our most replaceable lineman for the short term.

Rogers being out may actually help if it means Wheaton is on the field more as the #3 and DHB is on the field at all.

Shazier being out sucks, but at this point it's kind of par for the course.

Mojouw
09-27-2016, 12:55 PM
Odd blessing in disguise is my new stubbornly optimistic take.

If they are ever going to stop protecting the DB's by going away from zones and using man coverages behind overload blitzes up front, as some are advocating for, then it will only happen when Davis is at safety, Burns is manning the outside, and Gilbert is around to help out. Those are the Steelers man coverage guys.

Getting Burns and Gilbert out there and "baptized by fire" and other tough sounding cliches is the only method I see for the defense transitioning from passive zone to active pressure schemes this season.

steelerdude15
09-27-2016, 12:55 PM
Not good. All I can think about is the middle getting gashed again without Ryan and Robert playing. At least Lawrence should play which would help against the run.

hawaiiansteeler
09-27-2016, 01:55 PM
Who is Rob Golden and Sean Davis' backup? Shamarko? Yikes.

Eric Weddle would look good back there right now...:stirthepot:

Shoes
09-27-2016, 02:11 PM
Eric Weddle would look good back there right now...:stirthepot:

:stirthepot:
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/09/brandon-boykin-wonders-former-team-isnt-playing-cb-justin-gilbert/

tube517
09-27-2016, 03:24 PM
Odd blessing in disguise is my new stubbornly optimistic take.

If they are ever going to stop protecting the DB's by going away from zones and using man coverages behind overload blitzes up front, as some are advocating for, then it will only happen when Davis is at safety, Burns is manning the outside, and Gilbert is around to help out. Those are the Steelers man coverage guys.

Getting Burns and Gilbert out there and "baptized by fire" and other tough sounding cliches is the only method I see for the defense transitioning from passive zone to active pressure schemes this season.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/09/steelers-cb-justin-gilbert-might-get-defensive-snaps-chiefs/

Translation: Justin Gilbert will see 8 snaps in week 13, at this juncture.

steelcityboyz
09-27-2016, 03:45 PM
Why not give justin gilbert a chance to play with all his upside? the way gay played last week what do they have to lose?

hawaiiansteeler
09-27-2016, 04:19 PM
Why not give justin gilbert a chance to play with all his upside? the way gay played last week what do they have to lose?

I agree...let Gilbert, Cockrell and Burns play outside and move Gay inside to slot corner where he plays best at.

Born2Steel
09-27-2016, 07:59 PM
Is Gilbert healthy? He was a trade, not a FA, so he should be good to go.

tube517
09-28-2016, 10:55 AM
Is Gilbert healthy? He was a trade, not a FA, so he should be good to go.

Yes. He's been on just a few special teams plays though.

Rotorhead
09-28-2016, 10:59 AM
I agree, have to get Gilbert out there with Cockrell and Burns and Gay in the slot. Mitchell will be fine with Shark out there as long as they are not having to help the CB's too much (like last season when they have to over play Blake's side). I think we will be ok in the secondary. If Timmons plays we should be ok at ILB. I hope our OL can cover for playing a third string guard as that killed our offense last game. Our offense needs to be on point with all the defensive injuries we just sustained.

hawaiiansteeler
09-28-2016, 01:48 PM
I think we will be ok in the secondary. If Timmons plays we should be ok at ILB. I hope our OL can cover for playing a third string guard as that killed our offense last game. Our offense needs to be on point with all the defensive injuries we just sustained.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0NwNrl4BtDD7JCx2/giphy.gif

86WARD
09-28-2016, 02:56 PM
The Browns traded Gilbert. The Browns...

lotas
09-28-2016, 02:57 PM
Last year Butler blitzed a lot and we had more sacks and turnovers as a result. Our secondary was glaringly weak so that policy also cost us a lot of yards and points because we couldn't cover.

But this year our DB's are substantially stronger, why not let those guys play and focus on blitzing and getting more pressure and TO's like last year? It seems backwards that Butler blitzed like crazy last year and left the likes of Antwon Blake and less-experienced Cockrell to cover, yet he's not confident enough in Cockrell/Gay to cover and send guys blitzing this year?

I think Butler will adjust, and this defense will start firing. It's almost as if Butler is testing how little pressure he can apply while still holding them to few points. It worked in the first two games, last Sunday seemed cursed from the start. Last year showed us he is not afraid to bring the pressure, it's just a matter of adjustment to how much is needed.

I hope to god we knock Alex Smith down a few times and get a few sacks. Someone needs to step up, screw it, Jarvis Jones just needs to start using PED's so his presence can actually be felt by offensive lines. Talk to Deebo or Peyton's wife, Jarvis.

tube517
09-30-2016, 12:47 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/09/steelers-injury-report-7-players-officially-ruled-game-chiefs/

Ruled out on the Friday injury report are fullback Roosevelt Nix (back), cornerback Senquez Golson (foot), linebacker Ryan Shazier (knee), center/guard Cody Wallace (knee), wide receiver Eli Rogers (toe), guard Ramon Foster (chest), and safety Robert Golden (hamstring) as none of them were able to practice this week.

While these seven players listed above will be inactive for Sunday’s game, guard/center B.J. Finney (finger) and safety Sean Davis (back) should be in uniforms. After suffering a finger injury on Thursday, Finney was able to practice Friday and is thus back on track to make his first career start Sunday night at left guard in place of Foster.

As for Davis, he’s expected to play some Sunday night in a limited capacity and that means safety Jordan Dangerfield is likely to make his first career start.

Shoes
09-30-2016, 01:16 PM
If I remember correctly, C.J. Mosley was the one that was injury prone coming into the nfl in 2014. He hasn't missed game yet. It's really frustrating that Shazier can't say on the field.

Born2Steel
09-30-2016, 01:31 PM
If I remember correctly, C.J. Mosley was the one that was injury prone coming into the nfl in 2014. He hasn't missed game yet. It's really frustrating that Shazier can't say on the field.

That is correct, and it IS frustrating. Shazier is so fast to the ball though. He's in on a lot of tackles which leads to more bumps and bruises too. Been that way for our ILBs over the years. The issue with Mosley was his knee, and the news was not good. I still think we did ok by the pick. As always, time will tell.

Shoes
09-30-2016, 01:39 PM
That is correct, and it IS frustrating. Shazier is so fast to the ball though. He's in on a lot of tackles which leads to more bumps and bruises too. Been that way for our ILBs over the years. The issue with Mosley was his knee, and the news was not good. I still think we did ok by the pick. As always, time will tell.

Agreed, just hoping he gets over the hump.

Shoes
09-30-2016, 04:58 PM
Steelers LB Ryan Shazier To Miss His 12Th Regular Season Game This Sunday. http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/09/steelers-lb-ryan-shazier-miss-12th-regular-season-game-sunday/

86WARD
09-30-2016, 05:44 PM
He's becoming useless...missed 12 of 36? Lol.

lipps83
09-30-2016, 08:27 PM
Shazier is just another Kendrell Bell. Out of the league when the next team that signs him has no use for him since he can't stay healthy.

86WARD
10-01-2016, 05:27 PM
But not as good...lol.