PDA

View Full Version : Steelers WR Markus Wheaton Hints He Was A Healthy Scratch Against Bengals

polamalubeast
09-19-2016, 03:10 PM

Craic
09-19-2016, 03:30 PM
Cool.

I was worried a bit that he'd go the, "I don't know why I wasn't playing," route; but I'm glad to hear him say, "I've missed a lot of football." Means he understands, and I hope, it also means he's going to put in some hard work to get back to playing.

Funny thing is, I'm not sure I need him on the team. I'm pretty happy with who we have now. I'd rather see Coates and Rodgers develop.

Mojouw
09-19-2016, 03:49 PM
Cool.

I was worried a bit that he'd go the, "I don't know why I wasn't playing," route; but I'm glad to hear him say, "I've missed a lot of football." Means he understands, and I hope, it also means he's going to put in some hard work to get back to playing.

Funny thing is, I'm not sure I need him on the team. I'm pretty happy with who we have now. I'd rather see Coates and Rodgers develop.

Probably what the Steelers are thinking as well. Wheaton is as good as gone after his rookie deal is up - this offseason I think? I mean I don't know for sure, but some other team is going to give him a ton of money to be the next Emmanuel Sanders.

Rotorhead
09-19-2016, 04:49 PM
Maybe he could be trade bait, but maybe Bongtavis doesn't get his crap together and we keep Wheaton around. At this point it is a good problem to have.

86WARD
09-19-2016, 05:13 PM
Trade him.

Devilsdancefloor
09-19-2016, 07:29 PM
i don't see what he adds over coates and rogers? i think green is going to fall in that category to grimble outlaw are playing well

Psycho Ward 86
09-19-2016, 07:35 PM
i don't see what he adds over coates and rogers? i think green is going to fall in that category to grimble outlaw are playing well

He's well rounded? Coates isnt showing any propensity in the preseason or thus far in the regular season to be more than a one trick pony. Rogers is just a slot guy until he proves otherwise.

You dont think Green adds something over Grimble and Jesse James? As much as I love those guys uh...perhaps elite athleticism? Ben has never had a great joker tight end in his career and Green could be the missing piece.

steelreserve
09-19-2016, 09:22 PM
Wheaton is a better #3 receiver than Rogers, no question. He can take advantage most teams' nickel guys; Rogers is just OK against them. I'd rather see him on the field in that role and maybe open up some plays for Coates or DHB.

polamalubeast
09-20-2016, 02:29 PM

Rotorhead
09-20-2016, 03:07 PM
Wheaton flashed some good stuff last year, so as I said above, it is a good problem to have having to choose between Coates, Wheaton and Rogers. But as has been said before above also Coates hasn't shown much fight for the ball yet, I would take Wheaton over Coates on the field right now. I like what I have seen with Rogers.

pczach
09-20-2016, 06:07 PM
Wheaton flashed some good stuff last year, so as I said above, it is a good problem to have having to choose between Coates, Wheaton and Rogers. But as has been said before above also Coates hasn't shown much fight for the ball yet, I would take Wheaton over Coates on the field right now. I like what I have seen with Rogers.

There's no correct answer as to who should be on the field between Wheaton and Coates.

Wheaton has more experience and playing time in the offense. He is better able to read defenses and adjust routes on the fly. He has better short-area quickness.

Coates is more explosive. He is much bigger and stronger, with a greater catch radius and the ability to go up and take the ball over a defender and at a higher point than Wheaton. He also is a better deep threat because of the traits I just listed. He does tend to still make bone-headed mistakes like on the interception that Ben threw to him on a deep route. Coates slowed down on the route like he didn't think the play was coming to him and the defender ran under it like a center fielder. He has to learn to run every route as if the ball is coming to him because it might. He has to understand that there is a reason for every route to be run the way it was designed and with 100% effort.

I think Coates has the higher ceiling, and he has already made a handful of big plays in just a few games. I just think he's the more prototypical outside receiver that has big play ability and stretches the field to create more space for the other receivers to operate.

Wheaton has been a solid player and teammate. In a perfect world, they would be able to keep them all. I would like to see DHB gone. He is a liability as a receiver most of the time. If it weren't for his special teams play, he probably wouldn't make an NFL roster. We know that Wheaton will probably field really strong offers from other teams when his contract is up, and that will most likely insure his exit from the Steelers.

As for right now, I think there is going to be a rotation with all of the weapons to keep them fast and fresh to pressure tired defenders. Kill them with depth.

86WARD
09-20-2016, 07:43 PM
Markus Wheaton plays the role of Lance Moore?

steelerkitty
09-20-2016, 08:29 PM
Wheaton is way way etter then what we are using right now. And it is not even close. His first 3 years are far & away better then anything Emmanuel Sanders did here...and he got paid very well. Now, considering what it will cost to keep Brown, then maybe Wheaton will have to be replaced. But as far as a trade goes...no way we can afford that this season. Cause no matter what their potential may be...Rogers, Grimble and Coates are not near ready to be a legit # 2 WR. And DHB has never shown that ability. He can be a decent in the pinch # 3 WR...and a great ST player. But no one right now can replace Wheaton right now. We need to keep him.

Hawkman
09-20-2016, 09:31 PM
Wheaton is way way etter then what we are using right now. And it is not even close. His first 3 years are far & away better then anything Emmanuel Sanders did here...and he got paid very well. Now, considering what it will cost to keep Brown, then maybe Wheaton will have to be replaced. But as far as a trade goes...no way we can afford that this season. Cause no matter what their potential may be...Rogers, Grimble and Coates are not near ready to be a legit # 2 WR. And DHB has never shown that ability. He can be a decent in the pinch # 3 WR...and a great ST player. But no one right now can replace Wheaton right now. We need to keep him.

Grimble is a TE.

steelerkitty
09-20-2016, 09:45 PM
Grimble is a TE.

He still is a Receiver option, and he is not close to Wheaton and his production.

Hawkman
09-20-2016, 10:10 PM
He still is a Receiver option, and he is not close to Wheaton and his production.

Read what you wrote. You classified him as a WR. Apples to oranges. I don't think anyone would compare Grimble to Wheaton.

steelerkitty
09-21-2016, 12:05 AM
Read what you wrote. You classified him as a WR. Apples to oranges. I don't think anyone would compare Grimble to Wheaton.

Forgive me. I just hate nitpicking.

Hawkman
09-21-2016, 08:28 AM
Forgive me. I just hate nitpicking.

What you call nitpicking, I call clarifying.

steelreserve
09-21-2016, 10:33 AM
There's no correct answer as to who should be on the field between Wheaton and Coates.

They should both be on the field, Coates as #2 and Wheaton as #3.

Wheaton excels at taking advantage of the nickel corner or a safety, but he sucks against a good #1 or #2 CB. He just doesn't have the skills to get open consistently in those cases.

So ideally that would be the lineup, with DHB (remember him?) and occasionally Rogers providing the rotational depth.

I know that people are SUPER excited about Rogers, by the way, but I just don't see it. I mean, he's no Justin Brown, but all he looks like to me is an average slot receiver. It's good that he can play at the pro level without getting run off the field, but for now I think we still have four other WRs who are better.

hawaiiansteeler
09-21-2016, 03:45 PM

Wheaton excels at taking advantage of the nickel corner or a safety, but he sucks against a good #1 or #2 CB. He just doesn't have the skills to get open consistently in those cases.

So ideally that would be the lineup, with DHB (remember him?) and occasionally Rogers providing the rotational depth.

I know that people are SUPER excited about Rogers, by the way, but I just don't see it. I mean, he's no Justin Brown, but all he looks like to me is an average slot receiver. It's good that he can play at the pro level without getting run off the field, but for now I think we still have four other WRs who are better.

:iagree:

Eli Rogers only had one catch for 9 yards against the Bungals, I would much rather see Wheaton replace him in the slot and keep Coates on the field as our deep threat.

pczach
09-21-2016, 04:17 PM

I agree. I was simply addressing the debate between Wheaton and Coates as the outside WR.

I think there is a very good chance that what you stated will happen. They probably want to get Wheaton's feet wet and evaluate where he's at physically and how sharp he is mentally within the offense.

steelreserve
09-21-2016, 06:11 PM
I agree. I was simply addressing the debate between Wheaton and Coates as the outside WR.

I think there is a very good chance that what you stated will happen. They probably want to get Wheaton's feet wet and evaluate where he's at physically and how sharp he is mentally within the offense.

For the outside receiver, there is no debate. Wheaton can't do it.

Of course, whether the team sees that or not is an open question ... if they don't, we could suffer through another agonizing stretch of Brown-then-nobody in the receiving game. But at #3, Wheaton is usually good enough to dominate his man, as we saw all last year. And in that role he's the #3 in name only, as I'd call that equally important to what the #2 does most of the time.

Born2Steel
09-21-2016, 06:15 PM
Wheaton will be #3 when Bryant comes back. AB #1, Bryant #2, Wheaton/Rogers #3/4. If Coates keeps dropping balls, we should look for a trade. Maybe package him and Landry Jones for an OLB. (Slight sarcasm)

hawaiiansteeler
09-21-2016, 07:02 PM
Wheaton will be #3 when Bryant comes back. AB #1, Bryant #2, Wheaton/Rogers #3/4.

Maryjanebongtavis Bryant isn't coming back this season and it's questionable whether or not we will re-sign Wheaton as he will be an UFA...

Psycho Ward 86
09-21-2016, 07:17 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/09/sammie-coates-limited-role-two-receiver-sets/

seems clear to me in this article that Coates isnt seen as a #2 at all, even without Wheaton in the fold. Coates has been in on 81 offensive snaps so far and only 8 of those plays were in 2 receiver sets (3 of those snaps were run plays)

Born2Steel
09-21-2016, 07:18 PM
Maryjanebongtavis Bryant isn't coming back this season and it's questionable whether or not we will re-sign Wheaton as he will be an UFA...

Yep, I know he won't be back THIS season. But he will be back, as far as we know. Provided he's all out of dumbass now. And when he does get back, he will be our #2 on the outside, opposite AB. It could happen, I don't expect it, but it could happen that DHB takes that spot. I see Wheaton and Rogers at the slot WR position. For me, at this time, Coates is odd man out next season. Of course, everything is always fluid.

Born2Steel
09-21-2016, 07:23 PM
My issue with Coates is drops. Period. He gets paid to catch passes. Ben hit him and Rogers caught the deflection. Luckily. Doesn't take too many plays like that for me to lose confidence and interest in a WR.

hawaiiansteeler
09-21-2016, 07:31 PM
Yep, I know he won't be back THIS season. But he will be back, as far as we know. Provided he's all out of dumbass now. And when he does get back, he will be our #2 on the outside, opposite AB. It could happen, I don't expect it, but it could happen that DHB takes that spot. I see Wheaton and Rogers at the slot WR position. For me, at this time, Coates is odd man out next season. Of course, everything is always fluid.

assuming Bryant returns we will have AB, Bryant, Coates, Rogers and DHB back. I personally don't see us re-signing Wheaton...

Mojouw
09-21-2016, 07:35 PM
I think the #'s obscure the issue - it is about the role in the offense.

X - can't usually go in motion. Needs to be big and fast to deal with jams at the LOS. For the Steelers that profiles as Coates, DHB, and Bryant.
Z- usually the featured WR. So AB and then...dear lord...let's not even go there!
Y/Slot - Wheaton and Rogers are almost perfect for this role.

I think snaps will be dictated by formation and gameplan more than pecking order in some sort of position group ranking. Coates hauls in another couple of deep passes and you will see him on the field. Wheaton returns and steps up - he will get on the field. And so on.

Doesn't really matter. All in all, a good problem to have. Too much talent at a position.

pczach
09-21-2016, 07:36 PM
assuming Bryant returns we will have AB, Bryant, Coates, Rogers and DHB back. I personally don't see us re-signing Wheaton...

I agree. With Bryant one bong hit away from being gone for a very very long time, Coates is the big, fast, physical outside receiver that they need as an insurance policy if Bryant goes off the deep end.

I see Wheaton as the WR that signs somewhere else.

Born2Steel
09-21-2016, 07:40 PM

Maybe not. That's just as likely to happen(probably moreso). You feel Bryant won't be back? That would change things a lot IMO. If we head into next FA/draft season without Wheaton or Bryant, I would rather use FA than the crapshoot that is finding a WR in the draft.

pczach
09-21-2016, 07:40 PM
I think the #'s obscure the issue - it is about the role in the offense.

X - can't usually go in motion. Needs to be big and fast to deal with jams at the LOS. For the Steelers that profiles as Coates, DHB, and Bryant.
Z- usually the featured WR. So AB and then...dear lord...let's not even go there!
Y/Slot - Wheaton and Rogers are almost perfect for this role.

I think snaps will be dictated by formation and gameplan more than pecking order in some sort of position group ranking. Coates hauls in another couple of deep passes and you will see him on the field. Wheaton returns and steps up - he will get on the field. And so on.

Doesn't really matter. All in all, a good problem to have. Too much talent at a position.

Exactly.

An embarrassment of riches at WR is a very good problem to have.

steelerkitty
09-21-2016, 07:42 PM
Wheaton may be gone. But I will bet money that L.Bell WILL be gone. No way the Steelers will re-sign him, and his 15+ million a year demands. I mean not with his track record. So don't count on seeing La'veon Bell around too long.

Born2Steel
09-21-2016, 07:43 PM
Wheaton may be gone. But I will bet money that L.Bell WILL be gone. No way the Steelers will re-sign him, and his 15+ million a year demands. I mean not with his track record. So don't count on seeing La'veon Bell around too long.

That's for the RB debate, this is the WR debate.

hawaiiansteeler
09-21-2016, 07:45 PM
Maybe not. That's just as likely to happen(probably moreso). You feel Bryant won't be back? That would change things a lot IMO. If we head into next FA/draft season without Wheaton or Bryant, I would rather use FA than the crapshoot that is finding a WR in the draft.

I actually hold out hope that Bryant will be back.

next year's WRs:

1) AB
2) Bryant :smoker:
3) Coates
4) Rogers
5) DHB

Mojouw
09-21-2016, 08:04 PM
I actually hold out hope that Bryant will be back.

next year's WRs:

1) AB
2) Bryant :smoker:
3) Coates
4) Rogers
5) DHB

I see that too. With maybe a draft pick brought in to push for that 5th spot.

Wheaton goes because he will get big dollars elswhere. Wheaton is actually worth more to the Steelers as a high dollar FA signing for another team that turns into a 3rd or 4th round comp pick than he is on the roster in 2017 and beyond.

hawaiiansteeler
09-21-2016, 09:50 PM
I see that too. With maybe a draft pick brought in to push for that 5th spot.

Wheaton goes because he will get big dollars elswhere. Wheaton is actually worth more to the Steelers as a high dollar FA signing for another team that turns into a 3rd or 4th round comp pick than he is on the roster in 2017 and beyond.

even if we dont re-sign Wheaton, we may not have to spend a draft choice on a WR as we are currently carrying two more WRs on our practice squad in Demarcus Ayers and Cobi Hamilton.