PDA

View Full Version : Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles

Psycho Ward 86
09-19-2016, 12:40 AM
We haven't won in Philadelphia since (wait for it)....1965. 51 fucking years.

Time to end that streak in crushing fashion. I feel like Wentz will come back down to earth and feel like a rookie, especially with him being on a short week

polamalubeast
09-19-2016, 05:23 AM
It's always been ugly for the Steelers in Philadelphia, even in preseason .But I think they will win. Ben has never lost against a rookie QB if I'm not mistaken.

It'll be a good test for our offense, too.Jim Schwartz is a great DC.

86WARD
09-19-2016, 06:19 AM
Just hope it's not a let down game. Really don't feel like listening to these windbags in Philadelphia

polamalubeast
09-19-2016, 07:25 AM

Steelermania
09-19-2016, 08:22 AM
Philly is one of only a handful of places where Steeler Nation can't make their presence felt.

Psycho Ward 86
09-19-2016, 09:42 AM
I remember that last game in Philly in 2008. Thats probably the most abused Ive ever seen Ben get by a pass rush

polamalubeast
09-19-2016, 09:45 AM
I remember that last game in Philly in 2008. Thats probably the most abused Ive ever seen Ben get by a pass rush

The Eagles had 6 sacks in the second quarter!!!!

tube517
09-19-2016, 10:41 AM

Jim Johnson defense.

Ben was rattled. Even the next game right after, Ben was still shell shocked. Mewelde Moore had to bail out the Steelers the following week vs the Ravens

st33lersguy
09-19-2016, 10:52 AM
This seems like it could be a letdown
1. The Steelers haven't beaten Philly since 1965
2. The Steelers have gone 2-0 on the road against NFC teams one time since 2005. They almost always seem to lose at least one NFC game on the road
3. A road game following a tough home win (especially in the division) has always been a spot where letdowns have occurred and the pattern could continue here coming off a tough win at home against the Bungles

polamalubeast
09-19-2016, 11:03 AM
The Eagles will be 2-0 if they win tonight against the Bears....

Edman
09-19-2016, 11:05 AM
Philly is one of only a handful of places where Steeler Nation can't make their presence felt.

Philly is a dedicated sports town, and Pennsylvania pride is on the line.

Shoes
09-19-2016, 11:14 AM
Steelers win this one!

tube517
09-19-2016, 11:20 AM
Iggles are a jekyll and hyde team. Not sure which one will show up.

steelerkitty
09-19-2016, 01:06 PM
Time to get ready to MENTALLY deal with next weeks Eagle fans!!

https://media2.giphy.com/media/13lU87TkZIAJ7q/200w.gif

LETS GO STEELERS!!!

ALLD
09-19-2016, 02:33 PM
The nation will unite behind the Steelers because Philly is planning to kneel during the National Anthem. WTF is that about? Whatever it is it is getting out of control.

86WARD
09-19-2016, 02:51 PM
I think this winds up closer than we hope and i think it could be a loss...

polamalubeast
09-19-2016, 03:29 PM
The Eagles are not a bad team....

Rotorhead
09-19-2016, 05:00 PM
Well they did beat the Bowns, and there were several stupid plays by the Browns that helped that victory along (going for it on 4th and 5 at the 41 comes to mind). They are a decent team, but as long as Ben is back on target this weekend we should have no troubles going 3-0. I would think keeping the same def game plan would be best. Make Wentz have to throw it 50x and he will make mistakes. Keep our TO's to nothing and we will win this 31-20

NCSteelerGirl
09-19-2016, 05:32 PM
The Steelers are picked to win by 10.

steelerkitty
09-19-2016, 05:45 PM
Normally I would say Blitz-Blitz, and Blitz some more at a rookie QB. However, I think the Eagles will have lots of their passing plays as quick hitters. To either their very good young TE. Or swing passes to the RB's. I am very pleased that in two games we have basically stopped our opponents ground game. And IF we can contain the Eagles ground game, and place the onus on their young QB...the better it will be for us. Just gotta make sure we make them start as deep in their own territory as possible. And seeing as how we have a great punter...that is a good thing.

Just make no mistakes that give them easy scoring chances...and I gotta think we can hold them to at least no more then the 16 points we gave both Washington and Cincy. And I just can't see their defense...especially their secondary stopping Brown & Ben.

polamalubeast
09-19-2016, 06:08 PM
Wentz was 8-8 for 94 yards against the blitz vs the Browns....

steelerkitty
09-19-2016, 06:15 PM
Wentz was 8-8 for 94 yards against the blitz vs the Browns....

That's exactly my point. The Eagles knew that teams would try to rattle the kid with all-out Blitzes on passing downs...so they had multiple short area options to counter the Blitzes. I think we have to maintain the short areas and short sideline routes...and make Wentz have to stay in the pocket longer in order to find another option. Then there will be much more likely the chance at a mistake.

Mojouw
09-19-2016, 06:39 PM
That's exactly my point. The Eagles knew that teams would try to rattle the kid with all-out Blitzes on passing downs...so they had multiple short area options to counter the Blitzes. I think we have to maintain the short areas and short sideline routes...and make Wentz have to stay in the pocket longer in order to find another option. Then there will be much more likely the chance at a mistake.

That sounds like a good plan to me. Gotta figure the more he throws, the more chances he has to make a mistake. Or at least we can hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tube517
09-19-2016, 07:06 PM
Tomlin doesn't have a good record in 4:15 games. How's that for hocus pocus?

stillers4me
09-19-2016, 08:56 PM
Ben be watching Monday night football like.....https://vimeo.com/183417256

Edman
09-19-2016, 09:50 PM
Second Week in a row that the Steelers are playing a 0-loss team.

The Eagles are pretty good, though I can't even tell if he's that good or the Bears are that garbage.

Whichever the case may be. The Steelers will be tested in Philadelphia. I seriously doubt Ben will be sacked eight times like in 2008, but they will be tested. Carson Wentz hasn't hit the wall and the Eagles D is pretty good under Jim Schwartz.

Something will be exposed. Either Pittsburgh or Philly.

If this were 2012-2015, this would be a game I can say without a doubt the Steelers will likely drop.

If things are different from this 2016 team, they win this game.

steelerkitty
09-19-2016, 09:56 PM
[QUOTE=Edman;559359]Second Week in a row that the Steelers are playing a 0-loss team.

The Eagles are pretty good, though I can't even tell if he's that good or the Bears are that garbage.

Let me help you out with that question.....

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTit76yTg-oimjCVp-BgTPA7pf-FrmTPWT8MJh1anXmp7s5fYxBaA

polamalubeast
09-20-2016, 06:14 AM
We must take the eagles very seriously....

SteelerFanInStl
09-20-2016, 07:33 AM
Ben's not going to have a ton of time to throw in this game. They'll be bringing the pressure the whole game. Their secondary isn't that good so we should be able to take advantage of them. I don't think the offense will have any problems as long as the OL gives Ben some time to throw.

Wentz has been impressive. He doesn't seem to rattle and he's making good decisions. No turnovers in 2 games. It'd be nice to see a little pressure on him though. The defense has been solid and I'm guessing that we'll stick to a similar game plan.

polamalubeast
09-20-2016, 10:00 AM

tube517
09-20-2016, 10:05 AM

Yeah, but the Iggles are Chip Kelly's team. And Tomlin won those games with Cowher's team. :sarcasm: :chuckle: :stirthepot:

polamalubeast
09-20-2016, 10:36 AM

wentz_dynamo
09-20-2016, 12:15 PM
Philly is a dedicated sports town, and Pennsylvania pride is on the line.

Eagles's fan here!

I do appreciate that sentiment.

As far as the upcoming game, it seems like I would be happy just to stay competitive with the Steelers - I think many share that thought as well. If anyone saw what Alshon Jeffrey did last night to the Eagles's secondary, I have nightmares about what Antonio Brown will do to this secondary. And this season is more to see what we have in the rook than winning games.

If I can answer any questions about the Eagles, please let me know.

polamalubeast
09-20-2016, 12:18 PM

wentz_dynamo
09-20-2016, 12:19 PM
Yeah, but the Iggles are Chip Kelly's team. And Tomlin won those games with Cowher's team. :sarcasm: :chuckle: :stirthepot:

Thanks a lot, Chip, for trading away/releasing all of our skilled positions! The only difference is that Chip's version was run by that statue, Sam Bradford.

tube517
09-20-2016, 12:23 PM
Eagles's fan here!

I do appreciate that sentiment.

As far as the upcoming game, it seems like I would be happy just to stay competitive with the Steelers - I think many share that thought as well. If anyone saw what Alshon Jeffrey did last night to the Eagles's secondary, I have nightmares about what Antonio Brown will do to this secondary. And this season is more to see what we have in the rook than winning games.

If I can answer any questions about the Eagles, please let me know.

Here's to a good game on Sunday.:drink:

Please sweep the Cryboys. I'm sick of hearing their fans' mouths.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks a lot, Chip, for trading away/releasing all of our skilled positions! The only difference is that Chip's version was run by that statue, Sam Bradford.

That's an inside joke for the Tomlin/Cowher arguments. :chuckle:

wentz_dynamo
09-20-2016, 12:30 PM
Here's to a good game on Sunday.:drink:

Please sweep the Cryboys. I'm sick of hearing their fans' mouths.

- - - Updated - - -

That's an inside joke for the Tomlin/Cowher arguments. :chuckle:

Thank you - hoping just to keep it competitive and god-willing, injury free!

They're really awful aren't they? I know this is coming out of left field, but could you sweep the Browns? I am tired of hearing that organization try to justify 30 years plus since its last franchise quarterback by taking organizational shots at Carson Wentz. Time to send Mr. Moneyball back to baseball.

Oh, gotcha, my disdain for Chip Kelly is not an inside joke...

Crow-Magnon
09-20-2016, 05:47 PM
I'm a Baltimore-born Ravens fan, but I work in Philly. So I tend to follow them more closely than any other NFC team. It's early, WAY too early to pronounce Wentz as the Second Coming and start preparing his spot in Canton. But I like what I see so far. Wentz looks poised and confident. I see no happy feet (we had Boller so I'm real familiar with that) when he drops back in the pocket. He does not stare down primary receivers like most rookie QB's are prone to do. He actually has the look of a leader. If his receivers caught more of the passes he's put in their hands his numbers would look pretty damned good.

I will be watching this game for sure Sunday. I think it is one of the better Week 3 games on the schedule.

st33lersguy
09-20-2016, 06:25 PM
Playing Philly at 2-0 may cause Pittsburgh to play up to the competition, though they may be sluggish at least to start coming off their win against Cincy. The pass rush concerns me, hopefully the O-line can give enough time and if they do, Ben should be able to have a stellar day, as their secondary is weak. The secondary though may be vulnerable against Wentz. It is likely that he will have at least 300 yards passing. With how well he seems to do under pressure, this may be the game to do more coverage-based stuff, keep everything in front of them and try and trick the rookie with a coverage for an interception. Given how well he has done under pressure, it may just leave a receiver open for a big game without rattling him

86WARD
09-20-2016, 07:42 PM
I'm a Baltimore-born Ravens fan, but I work in Philly. So I tend to follow them more closely than any other NFC team. It's early, WAY too early to pronounce Wentz as the Second Coming and start preparing his spot in Canton. But I like what I see so far. Wentz looks poised and confident. I see no happy feet (we had Boller so I'm real familiar with that) when he drops back in the pocket. He does not stare down primary receivers like most rookie QB's are prone to do. He actually has the look of a leader. If his receivers caught more of the passes he's put in their hands his numbers would look pretty damned good.

I will be watching this game for sure Sunday. I think it is one of the better Week 3 games on the schedule.

Jordan Matthews has 3-5 drops already...he's actually pretty terrible.

wentz_dynamo
09-21-2016, 12:44 AM

Eagles's fans were thinking this would be about a 57 game win season before the start of the season, so to think a game against the Steelers would be one of the better games on the schedule is a boon.

- - - Updated - - -

Other than the quarterback, no skill position player on the Eagles has been lighting it up.

polamalubeast
09-21-2016, 06:33 AM
Steelers face serious test against Fletcher Cox and swarming Eagles defense

PITTSBURGH -- It's "Steagles" week.

Yes, that's a thing.

Two of the league's hottest teams face off at Lincoln Financial Field, where Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz looks to extend his impressive play to three games. Wentz hasn't turned the ball over once, and the Eagles defense is top five in yards allowed (286).

That was against the Cleveland Browns and Chicago Bears. A bigger test awaits with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

With the help of ESPN Eagles reporter Tim McManus, here are three Eagles players on offense and three on defense the Steelers will game plan for closely.

read more

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/20327/undefined

teegre
09-21-2016, 07:49 AM
As I said before the draft:
Wentz is the real deal.

That said, I hope he has a horrible Sunday. :nod:

polamalubeast
09-21-2016, 09:02 AM

tube517
09-21-2016, 09:10 AM

Imagine if Wentz had DJax and Maclin still on the team or just one of them.

wentz_dynamo
09-21-2016, 09:32 AM
Imagine if Wentz had DJax and Maclin still on the team or just one of them.

This thought is making me vomit a little. Okay - a lot, rather.

That's some serious respect from Ben. If the Browns think a quarterback is "not top twenty material", then that guarantees he will become a future franchise quarterback. What a crappy organization!

- - - Updated - - -

tube517
09-21-2016, 09:37 AM
This thought is making me vomit a little. Okay - a lot, rather.

That's some serious respect from Ben. If the Browns think a quarterback is "not top twenty material", then that guarantees he will become a future franchise quarterback. What crappy organization!

- - - Updated - - -

Ben should know. The Stains passed over him, too.

AtlantaDan
09-21-2016, 09:40 AM
Peter King on MMQB notes the comparison of Ben and Wentz

A matchup of unbeaten teams, and two similarly physical passers, headlines the Week 3 slate....

Roethlisberger, the 13-year pro, against Carson Wentz, playing his third game. Miami of Ohio versus North Dakota State. Physical passer/runner who has learned when to duck out of bounds versus physical passer/runner who hasn’t. (It’s a game we should have the privilege of seeing every year, but, well, I’ve been heard on that.) Wentz played so much like Big Ben on Monday night that I’m left to wonder: Did Roethlisberger watch the game Monday night, and did he see the abuse Wentz took, and did he watch Wentz keep getting up from the monster shots (particularly the second-quarter obliteration by Chicago linebacker Jerrell Freeman), and did the kid remind him of his younger self?

Link to full articlehttp://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/09/20/pittsburgh-steelers-philadelphia-eagles-carson-wentz-ben-roethlisberger-nfl-mailbag

wentz_dynamo
09-21-2016, 09:46 AM
Ben should know. The Stains passed over him, too.

LMAO! I had no idea. I had to google their starting quarterback in that time frame. They brought in old man Jeff Garcia with the all pro Kelly Holcomb, as his backup. I guess they also passed on Donovan McNabb and Daunte Culpepper, as well.

polamalubeast
09-21-2016, 09:49 AM
I don't know if I'm the only one, but I fear the eagles defense.

wentz_dynamo
09-21-2016, 10:04 AM
That was a great read. Thanks for sharing. When the move was made to Wentz, never in my wildest dreams did I expect the game against the Steelers to be marquee by any stretch of the imagination. This will be a huge test!

Peter King on MMQB notes the comparison of Ben and Wentz

A matchup of unbeaten teams, and two similarly physical passers, headlines the Week 3 slate....

Roethlisberger, the 13-year pro, against Carson Wentz, playing his third game. Miami of Ohio versus North Dakota State. Physical passer/runner who has learned when to duck out of bounds versus physical passer/runner who hasn’t. (It’s a game we should have the privilege of seeing every year, but, well, I’ve been heard on that.) Wentz played so much like Big Ben on Monday night that I’m left to wonder: Did Roethlisberger watch the game Monday night, and did he see the abuse Wentz took, and did he watch Wentz keep getting up from the monster shots (particularly the second-quarter obliteration by Chicago linebacker Jerrell Freeman), and did the kid remind him of his younger self?

Link to full articlehttp://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/09/20/pittsburgh-steelers-philadelphia-eagles-carson-wentz-ben-roethlisberger-nfl-mailbag

wentz_dynamo
09-21-2016, 10:10 AM
I fear Antonio Brown.

I know if I'm the only one, but I fear the eagles defense.

polamalubeast
09-21-2016, 10:29 AM

wentz_dynamo
09-21-2016, 10:51 AM
That's an understatement.

BigNastyDefense
09-21-2016, 11:43 AM
I think Wentz is the real deal. He looks just natural out there. No happy feet, not staring down his primary receiver, progressing through his reads. The pressure of being the second overall pick - that your team traded up to get - doesn't seem to be affecting him.

Lucky for us, his receiver will probably lead the league in dropped passes this season.

Pederson, IMO, is going to be the head man in Philly for a long time. The way they're handling Wentz is perfect. They aren't force feeding him an entire playbook. They're keeping it simple enough (not saying Wentz is stupid, he's not) that he won't become overwhelmed as he adjusts to the NFL.

The Steelers defense is the best defense he will have faced so far, and might be the best overall team the Eagles play all season. I think the Steelers stick with last week's game plan, maybe blitz him a couple of times just to see if they can rattle him - but if they aren't getting to him OR he's beating the blitz with quick short passes, I think Butler will reign it in.

Steelers 30 - Eagles 27 on a FG as the clock runs out.

polamalubeast
09-21-2016, 01:05 PM

wentz_dynamo
09-21-2016, 01:10 PM
That would be an amazing ending!

I think Wentz is the real deal. He looks just natural out there. No happy feet, not staring down his primary receiver, progressing through his reads. The pressure of being the second overall pick - that your team traded up to get - doesn't seem to be affecting him.

Lucky for us, his receiver will probably lead the league in dropped passes this season.

Pederson, IMO, is going to be the head man in Philly for a long time. The way they're handling Wentz is perfect. They aren't force feeding him an entire playbook. They're keeping it simple enough (not saying Wentz is stupid, he's not) that he won't become overwhelmed as he adjusts to the NFL.

The Steelers defense is the best defense he will have faced so far, and might be the best overall team the Eagles play all season. I think the Steelers stick with last week's game plan, maybe blitz him a couple of times just to see if they can rattle him - but if they aren't getting to him OR he's beating the blitz with quick short passes, I think Butler will reign it in.

Steelers 30 - Eagles 27 on a FG as the clock runs out.

86WARD
09-21-2016, 10:06 PM
Eagles's fans were thinking this would be about a 57 game win season before the start of the season, so to think a game against the Steelers would be one of the better games on the schedule is a boon.

- - - Updated - - -

Other than the quarterback, no skill position player on the Eagles has been lighting it up.

Matthews has been bad since he's arrived though. He dropped a lot of balls last year as well.

Rotorhead
09-22-2016, 10:08 AM
I think we will keep a similar def gameplan, but we will get a couple more sacks this game (3). I think the Eagles will score about 17. AB will be back on track and the Eagles def will meet our top OL so Ben will have a big day. We will be up by 2 scores going into the 4th and grind the game to the end to a 27-17 score.

polamalubeast
09-22-2016, 03:02 PM

wentz_dynamo
09-22-2016, 03:39 PM
Cox has been double teamed a lot during the first two weeks.

It has opened it up for the defensive ends. Schwartz doesn't like to blitz much.

stillers4me
09-22-2016, 05:41 PM

Psycho Ward 86
09-22-2016, 05:51 PM
If Ertz, Kendricks, and McKelvin dont play, thats going to be a HUGE blow for the eagles. God knows how much we struggle against tight ends. And were getting Wheaton back against one of their best defensive players and one of their starting DB's

Steelers 31-23

polamalubeast
09-22-2016, 08:37 PM

Rotorhead
09-23-2016, 10:47 AM
It was a bad game, it was ridiculous how many times he was sacked, it seemed like EVERY PLAY!

tube517
09-23-2016, 10:55 AM
It was a bad game, it was ridiculous how many times he was sacked, it seemed like EVERY PLAY!

Can't remember but I think they put a backup OL as a 3rd TE or maybe Legursky at FB. They were shell shocked.

Rotorhead
09-23-2016, 11:03 AM
Oh yeah, their OL was crap back then, much different story this season.

tube517
09-23-2016, 01:04 PM

Mark Kaboly
‏@MarkKaboly
Steelers G Ramon Foster is questionable for Sunday's game against Eagles (elbow). He will likely play. If not, BJ Finney will get the start

Goose Wallace is still out for this game so OL is thin.

polamalubeast
09-23-2016, 03:30 PM

hawaiiansteeler
09-23-2016, 03:40 PM
Mark Kaboly
‏@MarkKaboly

Steelers G Ramon Foster is questionable for Sunday's game against Eagles (elbow). He will likely play. If not, BJ Finney will get the start

Goose Wallace is still out for this game so OL is thin.

we still have Ryan Harris and Chris Hubbard as backups...

tube517
09-23-2016, 04:12 PM
we still have Ryan Harris and Chris Hubbard as backups...

Hubbard will have to take snaps at center in practice backing up Pouncey??? Or is Finney the 3rd string center???

hawaiiansteeler
09-23-2016, 04:39 PM
Hubbard will have to take snaps at center in practice backing up Pouncey??? Or is Finney the 3rd string center???

I'm assuming that if Pouncey were to get injured that Finney would play center and either Ryan Harris or Hubbard would then play left guard...

Rotorhead
09-23-2016, 05:48 PM
But he is not going to get injured!

hawaiiansteeler
09-23-2016, 07:00 PM
But he is not going to get injured!

:thumbsup:

tube517
09-23-2016, 07:50 PM
Of course he won't. He is the 3rd string/Emergency LT :chuckle:

steelerkitty
09-24-2016, 06:45 PM
" God LOVES the STEELERS!"

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/sm/custom/65e8fad54c.gif

Edman
09-24-2016, 11:56 PM
No denying it. The "Offensive Line" was straight garbage back then. They played above mediocre the rest of the season, but they were not good.

We also had a certain offensive coordinator who never understood offensive balance and continually hung Ben out to dry to fend for himself.