PDA

View Full Version : Dean Blandino: Refs will have “heightened awareness” for Steelers-Bengals

polamalubeast
09-15-2016, 03:15 PM
Veteran referee Pete Morelli drew the assignment for this week’s Bengals-Steelers matchup, and his boss has told him to be ready.

Via ESPN’s Adam Caplan, NFL senior vice president of officiating Dean Blandino has made a special point to Morelli and his crew to stay on top of things lest they turn ugly like previous matchups between the AFC North rivals. The last two games between the teams have resulted in more than $200,000 in fines.

“Before every game we provide the crew with a scouting report [along with video clips] for the two teams,” Blandino said. “If there is a history between two teams, or players, that could lead to issues like we had last year then we include it in the report.

“The issues that came up last year will be covered with the crew for this game. All crews are directed to set the tone early in games so the players understand where the line is, and that should be consistent for all games, but just based on the history there will be a heightened awareness for this one.”

While Morelli is a veteran, his crew has seen things get out of hand in different ways. His crew last year was broken up after mistakes in a number of games, including giving the Lions a timeout they didn’t have against the Saints, losing 18 seconds in a Steelers-Chargers game, missing what would have been a game-ending false start in Jaguars-Ravens and losing track of downs in a Cardinals-49ers game. Those mistakes cost them a Sunday Night Football assignment.

His new crew is an experienced one, with all but one member with at least 14 years of experience.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/15/dean-blandino-refs-will-have-heightened-awareness-for-steelers-bengals/

86WARD
09-15-2016, 04:20 PM
Great...they'll be throwing flags on everything.

salamander
09-15-2016, 05:34 PM
Tell that to the Bengals. At least Burfuck isn't playing in this one.

SteelerFanInStl
09-15-2016, 05:37 PM
Yea, didn't they say the same thing before the playoff game? Just stop all of the b.s. that the Bengals do after the whistle and then you won't have to worry about retaliation.

Born2Steel
09-15-2016, 05:49 PM
I hope they let the players play. The extra stuff after the whistle should be curbed, as in any game. I just hope they don't end up ruining the flow of the game with ticky tack calls.

LloydWoodson
09-16-2016, 09:50 AM
Last reg season the refs punished the Steelers as if the Steelers were the aggressors. The game quickly got out of hand.

Maybe they will realize who the actual culprit was this time around? I mean... Burfict is an all-time dirty player and a few Bengals aren't far behind.

86WARD
09-16-2016, 04:42 PM
The game following a mess like that (especially in hockey) never lives up to that first game hype...

Craic
09-16-2016, 09:48 PM
The game following a mess like that (especially in hockey) never lives up to that first game hype...

Yep.

Normally in hockey, it's because everyone squares off in the third period, so it doesn't carry over. If there was a game to get out of hand between teh Steelers and the Bungles, it'll be the second one when a few of the players are back. Tell you this much, if Bell gets injured again, I'm in fear of what might happen in that game. But . . . this Sunday's game? Not much too it, IMO. At least, not on this front.

fansince'76
09-17-2016, 12:24 AM
Last reg season the refs punished the Steelers as if the Steelers were the aggressors.

I swear, if I hear one more time about "ZOMG! Joey Porter was on the field and should have been kicked out! DA REFS WURR IN DA STEALERS BAKK POCKIT AGIN!!!" after the Bengals had NINE members of their staff on the field earlier in the same game... :mad2:

steel striker
09-17-2016, 11:23 AM
Yeah the way the Refs lost control in last years playoff game and, they think Morelli is going to keep control? I have never liked this Ref after he screwed up the Troy's pick off manning in that Colt/Steelers playoff game in 2005.

Craic
09-17-2016, 03:26 PM
I swear, if I hear one more time about "ZOMG! Joey Porter was on the field and should have been kicked out! DA REFS WURR IN DA STEALERS BAKK POCKIT AGIN!!!" after the Bengals had NINE members of their staff on the field earlier in the same game... :mad2:

Shhhh. Don't confuse Bungles fans with logic.