PDA

View Full Version : Steelers might not be Blitzburgh anymore

polamalubeast
09-15-2016, 06:47 AM
PITTSBURGH – Typically, in the aftermath of a victory, there are plenty of smiles, laughs and good feelings to be had in a locker room.

That was not the case for Steelers defensive end Cam Heyward Monday night in Washington, following a 38-16 season-opening victory.

Heyward had a far different view of things.

“It sucks. The pass rush sucked,” said Heyward. “I’ve got to get to the quarterback.

“Our DBs and linebackers covered their tails off. We’ve got to be better up front. We’ve got to get to the quarterback, especially since we’re going up against Andy Dalton and that offense. Our defensive line and our front have to be better.”

The Steelers went out of character in the win over the Redskins, sending more than four pass rushers at Kirk Cousins just three times in the game, choosing instead to drop more players into coverage.

The plan worked as the Redskins scored just one touchdown and 16 points, a total the Steelers held just five opponents under in 2015. Well, three if you throw out two games against the hapless Browns.

As Heyward noted, just because the Steelers aren’t blitzing doesn’t mean they can’t also pressure the quarterback.

But Blitzburgh? That might be a thing of the past.

“We don’t need to blitz,” Heyward said. “I think we like blitzing sometimes, but if you can sit back and get a four-man rush and dominate, why blitz? I just have that kind of confidence. We can do that week in and week out. We’ve just got to put it on film. I don’t know if it was getting the kinks out or getting the rust off, but we’ve got to have an explosion this week.”

read more

http://www.observer-reporter.com/20160914/steelers_might_not_be_blitzburgh_anymore

BigNastyDefense
09-15-2016, 11:56 AM
I think that Butler is going to scheme for the teams we play instead of throwing the exact same game plan out there and hope it works more often than not.

What they did against the Redskins worked. Drop guys into coverage and make Cousins pick spots, especially with the guy they had at TE. If we blitzed and blitzed, he would have killed us with underneath throws to that TE (can't think of his name, just know he's good and Cousins' favorite target).

We may see more blitzing against the Bengals because when you hit Dalton he makes mistakes, especially with no Eifert for quick underneath passes, all he has is the deep ball to AJ Green.

tube517
09-15-2016, 12:17 PM
One game and they are already trying to define this defense.

Nobody is happy with the pass rush in that game. Heyward said as much.

Let's see what they do with Howdy Doody on Sunday. Davis might be taking Will Allen's (4 sacks last year) spot as the blitzing safety.

Steeldude
09-15-2016, 01:36 PM
The Steelers didn't have a good pass rush last year. I don't see why it would be better this year. The offense decides how far the Steelers will go this year.

hawaiiansteeler
09-15-2016, 01:57 PM
Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora

Keith Butler rushed five just 2% of the time Monday night. By far, lowest he's ever done. #Steelers

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp %7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

teegre
09-15-2016, 02:24 PM
The offense decides how far the Steelers will go this year.

Spot on.

The defense just has to be "good enough".

Craic
09-15-2016, 02:45 PM
Spot on.

The defense just has to be "good enough".

THe thing is, that's always been true (alright, always as in, in the last 20 or so years). The very few teams that win the SB because of outstanding defense are the exception that proves the rule. How many times did we have great defenses in the last 22 years, only to fall short because we couldn't win in the playoffs?

Defenses do not win championships. They get you to the playoffs. Great offense with a decent defense wins championships.

Steeldude
09-15-2016, 03:01 PM
Has Butler already turned into Lebeau?

polamalubeast
09-15-2016, 03:08 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I think that Butler is going to scheme for the teams we play instead of throwing the exact same game plan out there and hope it works more often than not.

What they did against the Redskins worked. Drop guys into coverage and make Cousins pick spots, especially with the guy they had at TE. If we blitzed and blitzed, he would have killed us with underneath throws to that TE (can't think of his name, just know he's good and Cousins' favorite target).

We may see more blitzing against the Bengals because when you hit Dalton he makes mistakes, especially with no Eifert for quick underneath passes, all he has is the deep ball to AJ Green.

Dalton seems to be a different QB since last year.Against the Jets, Dalton had a great game despite its o-line has allowed 7 sacks.

86WARD
09-15-2016, 04:21 PM

Lol...you would think that's scheming for all teams differently would come natural.

Edman
09-16-2016, 02:50 PM
The offense decides how far the Steelers will go this year.

If that's the case, then they have to do better than 17, 18, and 16 points. The offensive output of the last three playoff games. The 2008 and 2010 Offenses, with it's mediocre-at-best Offensive Lines, and far inferior in talent to our current Offense, did better than that (35, 23, 31, and 24 respectively).

Defenses do not win championships. They get you to the playoffs. Great offense with a decent defense wins championships.

Name a team that has won a Super Bowl with a shitty Defense.

The Steelers won the most Super bowls with Good Defenses and Solid QB play.

It's going to come down to the same reasons why they won XL and XLIII, and advanced to XLV. Ben and the Defense.

Iron Steeler
09-16-2016, 05:21 PM
With Bud dupree and hargrave healthy. I think you will see drastic improvements

Mojouw
09-17-2016, 08:46 AM
If that's the case, then they have to do better than 17, 18, and 16 points. The offensive output of the last three playoff games. The 2008 and 2010 Offenses, with it's mediocre-at-best Offensive Lines, and far inferior in talent to our current Offense, did better than that (35, 23, 31, and 24 respectively).

Name a team that has won a Super Bowl with a shitty Defense.

The Steelers won the most Super bowls with Good Defenses and Solid QB play.

It's going to come down to the same reasons why they won XL and XLIII, and advanced to XLV. Ben and the Defense.

Every Patriots team. Manning led Colts. Not shitty, but that we wasn't the argument. Can't think of a team that has won the SB on the back of their defense in 10-15 years. Even the 08 Steekers win that game with offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fansince'76
09-17-2016, 08:51 AM
Has Butler already turned into Lebeau?

I hope not. I'm so tired of the "tackle the catch" BS.

fansince'76
09-17-2016, 08:53 AM

It would also help immensely if they actually entered a postseason healthy on that side of the ball for a change instead of being forced to start 3rd and 4th stringers.

For instance, when's the last time that Bell and AB were both on the field for a postseason game? Yeah, I don't remember it ever happening either.

polamalubeast
09-17-2016, 09:56 AM
Every Patriots team. Manning led Colts. Not shitty, but that we wasn't the argument. Can't think of a team that has won the SB on the back of their defense in 10-15 years. Even the 08 Steekers win that game with offense.

The Patriots had a great defense in their first three Super Bowl.The Broncos won the Super Bowl with an atrocious offense

But yes,you can win a Super Bowl with your offense.

awe1028
09-17-2016, 11:23 AM
PITTSBURGH – Typically, in the aftermath of a victory, there are plenty of smiles, laughs and good feelings to be had in a locker room.

That was not the case for Steelers defensive end Cam Heyward Monday night in Washington, following a 38-16 season-opening victory.

Heyward had a far different view of things.

“It sucks. The pass rush sucked,” said Heyward. “I’ve got to get to the quarterback.

“Our DBs and linebackers covered their tails off. We’ve got to be better up front. We’ve got to get to the quarterback, especially since we’re going up against Andy Dalton and that offense. Our defensive line and our front have to be better.”

The Steelers went out of character in the win over the Redskins, sending more than four pass rushers at Kirk Cousins just three times in the game, choosing instead to drop more players into coverage.

The plan worked as the Redskins scored just one touchdown and 16 points, a total the Steelers held just five opponents under in 2015. Well, three if you throw out two games against the hapless Browns.

As Heyward noted, just because the Steelers aren’t blitzing doesn’t mean they can’t also pressure the quarterback.

But Blitzburgh? That might be a thing of the past.

“We don’t need to blitz,” Heyward said. “I think we like blitzing sometimes, but if you can sit back and get a four-man rush and dominate, why blitz? I just have that kind of confidence. We can do that week in and week out. We’ve just got to put it on film. I don’t know if it was getting the kinks out or getting the rust off, but we’ve got to have an explosion this week.”

read more

http://www.observer-reporter.com/20160914/steelers_might_not_be_blitzburgh_anymore

The bolded is the million dollar question isn't it - can the Steelers get pressure consistently without having to blitz? If they can, then given the talent they have, they are prohibitive Superbowl favorites If not, they are just one among a handful of hopefuls

I have respect for Heyward so if he believes it can be done I have to give him the benefit of the doubt. However you can't help but acknowledge the requisite talent needed at OLB to get consistent pressure is just not there.

At any rate we will find out soon enough Sunday vs Cincy if indeed the Steelers will have an effective non blitzing pass rush.

polamalubeast
09-17-2016, 11:46 AM

lipps83
09-17-2016, 01:32 PM

I think you might be following a different NFL than everyone else.

Patriots defenses were really good. Maybe you forgot how much they shut down the super duper Rams offense?

The Giants defense shut down the Madden 07 2007 record setting Patriots offense.

Not to forget defense led Steelers in 2005 and 2008. Offense won that game in 2008 on that last drive, but you better believe the defense got them there. Also, a game is 60 minutes, not 2.

How about the Ravens, Seahawks and Broncos just this year. Do you really think the Broncos won the SB this year because their offense was so awesome?

The only seasons I would give that the Super Bowl was won mostly due to offense, the Colts in 2006 and Saints in 2009.

hawaiiansteeler
09-17-2016, 03:27 PM
Can't think of a team that has won the SB on the back of their defense in 10-15 years.

don't have to go any further back than this past season to prove that statement incorrect...

Craic
09-17-2016, 03:31 PM
I think people should go look at the statistics of those "great" defenses in the SB. For the most part, they weren't so great there. Why? Because they played very good offenses that could pick them apart. The onus to win SBs is on the offense, not the defense. It takes a once in a (football draft) generation group of players coming together at just the right time for a defense to win a SB.

For the most part, all defenses do is not lose a SB for their team.

hawaiiansteeler
09-17-2016, 04:00 PM
I think people should go look at the statistics of those "great" defenses in the SB. For the most part, they weren't so great there. Why? Because they played very good offenses that could pick them apart. The onus to win SBs is on the offense, not the defense. It takes a once in a (football draft) generation group of players coming together at just the right time for a defense to win a SB.

For the most part, all defenses do is not lose a SB for their team.

the Broncos' defense sacked Cam Newton 7 times and held the Panthers' offense to 10 points in this past Super Bowl.

not to mention scoring a TD themselves...

Mojouw
09-17-2016, 04:26 PM
the Broncos' defense sacked Cam Newton 7 times and held the Panthers' offense to 10 points in this past Super Bowl.

not to mention scoring a TD themselves...

And that same defense was shredded by the Steelers offense in the regular season and almost again in the playoffs. I am not convinced that Denver's D was so good, just that Cam Newton and the Panthers choked.

Does a good defense help? Absolutely. Does a great defense really help? Of course. But to me, when you say defense "won" the championship - your talking 85 Bears, 2000 Ravens, Lawrence Taylor led NY Giants. First 2 Steelers SB.

I don't see teams winning much that way anymore. First team to 10 points and control the clock because no one is scoring on us kinda defense.

polamalubeast
09-17-2016, 04:32 PM
And that same defense was shredded by the Steelers offense in the regular season and almost again in the playoffs. I am not convinced that Denver's D was so good, just that Cam Newton and the Panthers choked.

Does a good defense help? Absolutely. Does a great defense really help? Of course. But to me, when you say defense "won" the championship - your talking 85 Bears, 2000 Ravens, Lawrence Taylor led NY Giants. First 2 Steelers SB.

I don't see teams winning much that way anymore. First team to 10 points and control the clock because no one is scoring on us kinda defense.

Yes, but last year, the Broncos offense was bad.Only the Steelers have had success against the Broncos defense.The Broncos defense also dominated the Patriots offense.

The seahawks in 2013 were a little like this, the difference is that the seahawks had a better offense.