PDA

View Full Version : An Awakening

Craic
09-13-2016, 02:21 AM
Is it just me, or is everyone all of a sudden on the Ben Bandwagon. And, I'm not just saying that about him being a good QB right now. Suddenly, I'm hearing national telecasters calling him a "Future HOF QB" as if it is already a done deal. He was called that again tonight a couple of times.

Then, there's the article linked in another thread about Ben not getting the recognition he deserves. I also recall hearing something on the NFL channel or BESPN or somewhere as well. Any ideas what it's all about? Has anyone else picked up on it? Moreover, why? And, why now?

I do have one suspicion . . . Ben's six years from his last accusation. Except for idiot fans from other teams, the general public has forgotten about the accusations and now, the groupthink says it's okay to start talking about him in positive terms as a football player. His last four years has been tremendous, especially through the rebuild cycle, and now, I think everyone's saying publicly what they thought privately. Of course, even I have to admit Ben's game has stepped up to that last level I was talking about a few years ago. So, maybe it really is all about Ben finally putting the pieces together in the last 18-24 months.

stillers4me
09-13-2016, 05:33 AM
I still get blasted about Ben "getting the charges dropped" and "paying off his victims". The other day, I had a Vikings/Bengals fan with the nerve to say they'd rather get another team than root for "Rapelisberger and the dopers" on my team. Hello....Adrian Peterson and the Bengals.... #1 and #3 on the most arrests since 2000 list. :scratchchin:

Butch
09-13-2016, 05:35 AM
I still get blasted about Ben "getting the charges dropped" and "paying off his victims". The other day, I had a Vikings/Bengals fan with the nerve to say they'd rather get another team than root for "Rapelisberger and the dopers" on my team. Hello....Adrian Peterson and the Bengals.... #1 and #3 on the most arrests since 2000 list. :scratchchin:

Haters are gonna hate, but it is funny that you hear that kind of crap from a Bungles fan.

salamander
09-13-2016, 05:39 AM
I still constantly hear cracks from people, i.e. "Raplisberger" etc. It's never gonna go away, unfortunately.

86WARD
09-13-2016, 06:00 AM
Uneducated haters.

LloydWoodson
09-13-2016, 08:00 AM
Part of it is getting away in time from his accusations.

Mostly it is stats. People love stats. Roethlisberger is on the verge of 5,000 yards passing every year now. Stat nerds love that. Hell Matt Stafford might make the HOF if he keeps throwing 700 times a year.

To me Peyton Manning is highly overrated because of his regular season stats, in a weak division, in a dome, throwing to Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne.

Peyton played like garbage on both Superbowl runs. In 2006 3TDs 7 INTs 70 Rtg... "best ever"! 2015 2 TDs 1 INT Rtg 75 179 y/g "best ever!"

People see the name and the reg season stats. They don't see the team around the players that carries these QBs.

Hell QB as a position is overrated. Imagine if Tim Couch had been elite. Think how many 1st round picks and trades the Browns could have used to bolster their team and build around an elite QB. Teams either have a franchise QB or they expend all their resources trying to get one.

fansince'76
09-13-2016, 08:08 AM

I still constantly hear cracks from people, i.e. "Raplisberger" etc. It's never gonna go away, unfortunately.

http://cdn.smosh.com/sites/default/files/ftpuploads/bloguploads/haters-gonna-hate-donald.gif

LloydWoodson
09-13-2016, 08:18 AM

Ben would have had to pay off the district attorney for any criminal trial. Plaintiffs can only choose to go to civil court. So... people are saying Ben paid off the district attorney's office? That's a pretty crazy conspiracy.

fansince'76
09-13-2016, 08:19 AM
Is it just me, or is everyone all of a sudden on the Ben Bandwagon. And, I'm not just saying that about him being a good QB right now. Suddenly, I'm hearing national telecasters calling him a "Future HOF QB" as if it is already a done deal. He was called that again tonight a couple of times.

Then, there's the article linked in another thread about Ben not getting the recognition he deserves. I also recall hearing something on the NFL channel or BESPN or somewhere as well. Any ideas what it's all about? Has anyone else picked up on it? Moreover, why? And, why now?

I do have one suspicion . . . Ben's six years from his last accusation. Except for idiot fans from other teams, the general public has forgotten about the accusations and now, the groupthink says it's okay to start talking about him in positive terms as a football player. His last four years has been tremendous, especially through the rebuild cycle, and now, I think everyone's saying publicly what they thought privately. Of course, even I have to admit Ben's game has stepped up to that last level I was talking about a few years ago. So, maybe it really is all about Ben finally putting the pieces together in the last 18-24 months.

I knew he had "it" ever since the "tornado game" in Miami in '04 (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2004/09/27/Roethlisberger-overcomes-storm-Dolphins-to-win-first-pro-start-13-3/stories/200409270164). And the comeback against Dallas on the road later the same season (http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/games/2004-10-17-steelers-cowboys2_x.htm) confirmed it in my mind.

polamalubeast
09-13-2016, 08:29 AM
Better late than Never!!!!

teegre
09-13-2016, 08:47 AM
To me Peyton Manning is highly overrated because of his regular season stats, in a weak division, in a dome, throwing to Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne.

...which is EXACTLY the point thar many of us made in the Cowherd thread.

LloydWoodson
09-13-2016, 09:03 AM
...which is EXACTLY the point thar many of us made in the Cowherd thread.

Haha yeah I got that point, Teegre. I don't disagree I just don't consider Manning to be a great QB. I would take Ben over Manning twice on Sundays. Manning choked in the playoffs. He isn't clutch. It can be harder to see the "clutch gene" in football. Manning checks out of passing plays so much when the game is on the line that it is almost Alex Smithian. Manning is like the anti-Favre.

That's why I didn't mention Manning and totally disagree that Manning's regular season performances were impressive.

Before last year Manning was 11-13 in the playoffs. Ben is 11-6. Brady is 22-9.

"Which one of these things is not like the other ones?" *singing*

tube517
09-13-2016, 09:24 AM
I knew he had "it" ever since the "tornado game" in Miami in '04 (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2004/09/27/Roethlisberger-overcomes-storm-Dolphins-to-win-first-pro-start-13-3/stories/200409270164). And the comeback against Dallas on the road later the same season (http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/games/2004-10-17-steelers-cowboys2_x.htm) confirmed it in my mind.

The comeback against Dallas was sweet. He gets no credit for the SUper Bowl XL run because of his QB rating in the Super Bowl and the defense. But, he was the difference in the playoffs leading up to the SB.

polamalubeast
09-13-2016, 09:26 AM
The comeback against Dallas was sweet. He gets no credit for the SUper Bowl XL run because of his QB rating in the Super Bowl and the defense. But, he was the difference in the playoffs leading up to the SB.

And it was 3 games on the road!

LloydWoodson
09-13-2016, 10:03 AM
Yes the 05 Superbowl run was Ben's best playoffs.

Mojouw
09-13-2016, 10:23 AM
OP nailed it. Time and his marriage and family have made him marketable again.

Plus he has entered that vet qb stage of his career that the NFL loves to market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edman
09-13-2016, 11:38 AM
1) Peyton Manning Retiring and Tony Romo is hurt. The NFL needs a new face, and AFC power has shifted. Denver will be in the mix, but Trever Siemian is unproven. That's why the Steelers are being mentioned in the same sentence as New England.

2) Ben is currently in what is considered the zenith and maturation of a QB's career. The 30's. Ben has matured into a veteran leader on the team, when he used to be just one of the guys. Ben is playing the absolute best ball of his career. We all loved Renegade Ben from 2004-2011, but games were ugly and the offense was inconsistent and having to be constantly rescued by his heroics.