PDA

View Full Version : Head-to-head: Steelers CB Bryant McFadden vs. Falcons WR Roddy White

stillers4me
09-12-2010, 05:58 AM
Sunday, September 12, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201009/20100912_headtohead_330.jpg
Bryant McFadden, left, and Roddy White.

Dick LeBeau is not the least bit concerned that cornerback Bryant McFadden, back after a year with the Arizona Cardinals, was repeatedly picked on and beaten for touchdowns in playoff games last year against the Green Bay Packers and New Orleans Saints.
He is more enamored with the way McFadden played for four years with the Steelers -- one of the reasons he was brought back in a draft-day trade with the Cardinals.
"My memory is not that short," said LeBeau, who begins his seventh season as defensive coordinator in his second stint with the Steelers. "I remember the Indy [playoff] game [in 2005] where he picked off the ball in end zone. And before the guy missed the field goal and they threw deep into the end zone, he made a tremendous battling play at the point of reception, the kind of play Indianapolis catches.
"But they didn't catch it against us because our corner, in this case B-Mac, battled all the way to ground. I remember those things."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10255/1086918-66.stm#ixzz0zJORcXNC

Psycho Ward 86
09-12-2010, 04:00 PM
B-Mac, you may have led us in tackles today (12 tackles, 2 assists), but Roddy kicked your ass man.

oneforthetoe
09-12-2010, 04:10 PM
I thought B-Mac played pretty well. I don't think the Steelers played that much Man. Some catches B-Mac got beat. Some catches were brilliant plays by White. And some were just gimmie plays because we played off. We only gave up 9 points.

Nadroj 20
09-12-2010, 04:12 PM
I thought B-Mac played pretty well. I don't think the Steelers played that much Man. Some catches B-Mac got beat. Some catches were brilliant plays by White. And some were just gimmie plays because we played off. We only gave up 9 points.

That is what i was thinking too. Some plays B-Mac was right there but White just made some great plays

Edman
09-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Roddy had a great game with lots of catches, but Mcfadden did the most crucial and most important thing of his job: he kept him out of the endzone. Atlanta still only held to 9 points. That alone means he had a good game. I'm not going to hold it against him. White is an excellent WR.

Psycho Ward 86
09-12-2010, 04:28 PM
That is what i was thinking too. Some plays B-Mac was right there but White just made some great plays

On some plays, it would seem that way, but Ryan overthrew him quite a few times, especially around the sideline. It could've been worse if Matt was on target.

ALLD
09-12-2010, 04:36 PM
The dink and dunk did not work for the Colts either. The only stat that matters is the W. Granted, B-Mac is not a shutdown corner, but he is a definite upgrade and worth the trade. Everybody knows #43 is the boss back there.

oneforthetoe
09-12-2010, 04:41 PM
One clear upgrade with B-Mac over Gay from last year. He made the tackles even when he gave up some plays, which gives our D a chance to keep them out of the end zone.

st33lersguy
09-12-2010, 05:10 PM
I think Roddy White beat B-Mac head to head. The reason I think the reason for some of those tackles was because he tackled Roddy right after Roddy caught the ball

RushHard34
09-12-2010, 05:45 PM

I agree, Roddy made some great catches with BMAC right there

HometownGal
09-12-2010, 06:11 PM
B-Mac, you may have led us in tackles today (12 tackles, 2 assists), but Roddy kicked your ass man.

I disagree. Other than Gonzo, White is the Falcs only other scary good receiving threat and is one of the best WR's in the league. The longest reception White had today was 18 yards and not only did BMac keep White from beating him deep - most importantly - he kept White out of the EZ. I give him mad props for that. :applaudit:

st33lersguy
09-12-2010, 07:19 PM
What I didn't like about McFadden was his tackle on Jerrius Norwood, he waited for Norwood to come to him rather than go after Norwood and that led to him barely getting the 1st down on a drive that led to the tying field goal

Galax Steeler
09-12-2010, 07:22 PM
He may have got beat on a few plays but I tell you it is a different defense with B-Mac in the lineup with us.

Psycho Ward 86
09-12-2010, 07:23 PM
13 catches for 111 yards is a pretty sound butt-kicking performance

Merchant
09-12-2010, 07:25 PM
I think the numbers are a little deceiving. B-Mac had a decent game imo, most of White's catches he got because our corners tend to give that 8-9 yard cushion and they were quick little out-routes - very difficult to defend. Definitely an upgrade over William Gay.

GBMelBlount
09-12-2010, 08:30 PM
I think the numbers are a little deceiving. B-Mac had a decent game imo, most of White's catches he got because our corners tend to give that 8-9 yard cushion and they were quick little out-routes - very difficult to defend. Definitely an upgrade over William Gay.

EXACTLY.

We shut down their running game & Gonzalez so they had few other options besides white.

What we saw today was our defense from 2008.

B-mac is indeed an upgrade.

Chidi29
09-12-2010, 09:09 PM
If teams are going to throw anything longer than the short curl route or the slant, it has to be the comeback out right. Very difficult to throw, must be thrown perfectly, and that's what Ryan did. Credit to him.

Psycho Ward 86
09-12-2010, 09:17 PM

Hmm...never thought of it that way. Now that i think about it, B-Mac was always behind Roddy White. Good observation!

sherlock
09-13-2010, 03:31 AM
Roddy had a great game with lots of catches, but Mcfadden did the most crucial and most important thing of his job: he kept him out of the endzone. Atlanta still only held to 9 points. That alone means he had a good game. I'm not going to hold it against him. White is an excellent WR.

Well said.
Overall,the secondary look a different beast compared to last season.