PDA

View Full Version : Steelers.com - Labriola on trading for Justin Gilbert

tube517
09-09-2016, 09:33 AM
http://www.steelers.com/news/labriola-on/article-1/Labriola-on-trading-for-Justin-Gilbert/580f9c7e-b099-4c35-b530-e32b434bde5e

In risk/reward analysis, adding Justin Gilbert for a No. 6 pick is worth doing.
Ready or not, here it comes:

* As a true freshman in college, he returned two kickoffs for touchdowns. He had five interceptions as a sophomore, including one apiece in games against Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, and Ryan Tannehill, all of whom currently are NFL starting quarterbacks. In 13 games as a senior, he had seven more interceptions and returned two of those for touchdowns.

* This same guy went to the NFL Combine and did 20 repetitions of 225 pounds on the bench press, and his 4.37 in the 40-yard dash was the fastest among all of the cornerbacks in Indianapolis that week. He finished his four college seasons with eight non-offensive touchdowns – two on interceptions and six on kickoff returns.

* There has to be a catch, right? NFL teams don’t have enough cornerbacks who are tall, fast, and interceptors of the football, let alone extra cornerbacks who are tall, fast, and interceptors of the football.

* The catch with Gilbert is that during his two years with the Cleveland Browns, who made him the eighth overall pick of the 2014 NFL Draft, he was an underachieving and insubordinate employee. After a less-than-productive rookie year, Gilbert admitted that he “missed a ton of team meetings” as a rookie because “I was a hard sleeper.”

Shoes
09-09-2016, 02:09 PM
Good read, thank.

Psycho Ward 86
09-09-2016, 02:27 PM
heres the most interesting part of the article:
* Maybe the Steelers’ decision came down to the fact they took some time and put in a little bit of extra effort to get to know Justin Gilbert as an individual, where the Browns did not.

* Tom Reed wrote a story about Gilbert for Cleveland.com in which he talked to Shane Martin, who was Gilbert’s coach at Huntsville High School in Texas. In the story, Reed quoted Martin as saying, “He's a quiet kid and he hated talking to reporters. I'd end up having to answer the questions for him. He just never wanted the attention focused on him."

* More from Reed’s story: “But had the Browns spoken with Martin they might have learned how important establishing trust is with Gilbert. They might have learned how much his small hometown means to him. The high school coach has heard the stories of the cornerback being a loner in the Browns' facility and not wanting to participate in community events. Martin doesn't dispute the report. But it also doesn't mesh with his memories of Gilbert's prep career and the player's willingness to help out around Huntsville. Martin described him as a selfless athlete, a kid willing to play any position to help the team … Away from competition, Martin recalled (Gilbert) volunteering time to read to children as part of an educational program and organizing a community basketball tournament following his first season with the Browns … ‘Justin enjoys structure and it has to be there,’ Martin said.”

DesertSteel
09-09-2016, 02:32 PM
Excellent article

Skinart82
09-09-2016, 03:22 PM
I really think Pittsburgh might have made one of the best trades ever. The talent is obviously there, now with the structure in Pittsburgh he may begin to really take off.

zulater
09-09-2016, 03:49 PM
Certainly worth a role of the dice. May not pan out, but the risk reward factor said go for it.

tube517
09-09-2016, 03:53 PM
Shoot, I'd be happy if he can be a good KR for us. I can't really see Sammie Coates as a KR.

lipps83
09-09-2016, 04:04 PM
Shoot, I'd be happy if he can be a good KR for us. I can't really see Sammie Coates as a KR.

Exactly. That alone would be worth the the 6th.

No more Dre Archers.

Psycho Ward 86
09-09-2016, 04:23 PM
Exactly. That alone would be worth the the 6th.

No more Dre Archers.

Todd Haley will take that as a dare :lol:

86WARD
09-09-2016, 05:18 PM
I really think Pittsburgh might have made one of the best trades ever. The talent is obviously there, now with the structure in Pittsburgh he may begin to really take off.

This would make me so very happy!!

BigNastyDefense
09-09-2016, 08:36 PM
If he needs structure, he landed in one of the better spots he could have (the others being New England and Green Bay).

In Cleveland, there obviously hasn't been much structure. Haslam is on his third coach since buying the team. Gilbert likely couldn't believe that his head coach would be there. The team didn't respect (or respond) to him. Maybe that'll change under Hue Jackson.

He's got the talent. The Steelers just have to harness it.

Mojouw
09-09-2016, 11:07 PM
Agreed. Gilbert oozes talent. He just needs to man up and do the work. Spent his whole life showing up on game day and being better. Now everyone is at that level. Imagine Gilberts talent with ABs work ethic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craic
09-10-2016, 04:22 PM
He's a bum! A Hood-rat! Ack! Cough! er . . . sorry, must have got my internets mixed up with someone else.

I'm excited to see this kid play. I also liked what I read; perhaps the structure of the organization will help him excel. Even if it doesn't, his physical talents alone should help us this year until our CBs get up to speed.