PDA

View Full Version : DeCastro signs a 6 year extension

BlackAndGold
09-08-2016, 04:38 PM

ALLD
09-08-2016, 04:45 PM
Until they need to rework it in a few years.

BlackAndGold
09-08-2016, 04:49 PM

AtlantaDan
09-08-2016, 05:01 PM
Since the 1990s when they constantly lost quality starters to free agency and when Burress left after 2004, because the Steelers had to choose to keep either Ward or Burress, have the Steelers lost a player to free agency they really wanted to keep - maybe Keenan Lewis?

polamalubeast
09-08-2016, 05:19 PM
Great!

- - - Updated - - -

SteelerFanInStl
09-08-2016, 05:24 PM
Glad to hear that they got this taken care of.

Psycho Ward 86
09-08-2016, 05:48 PM
Since the 1990s when they constantly lost quality starters to free agency and when Burress left after 2004, because the Steelers had to choose to keep either Ward or Burress, have the Steelers lost a player to free agency they really wanted to keep - maybe Keenan Lewis?

i was thinking the same thing. Thats a hell of a streak

polamalubeast
09-08-2016, 06:09 PM
Tuitt, Antonio Brown and I hope Le'Veon Bell will be the next in 2017.

Count Steeler
09-08-2016, 06:53 PM
Good signing. Glad they got this done.

Keenan Lewis had no chance of remaining a Steeler. He wanted to go home to NOLA.

Dwinsgames
09-08-2016, 06:58 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000696930/article/david-decastro-steelers-agree-on-new-sixyear-deal

Devilsdancefloor
09-08-2016, 07:10 PM
good to hear!

st33lersguy
09-08-2016, 07:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS0RA9eCsQk

Rara
09-08-2016, 08:13 PM
Tuitt, Antonio Brown and I hope Le'Veon Bell will be the next in 2017.

I completely agree on this statement. Brown is top priority with Bell right behind him. Tuitt will eventually get it done sometime next year.

- - - Updated - - -

Glad this was done! I knew it was going to get done either today or tomorrow!

Hawkman
09-08-2016, 08:20 PM
I completely agree on this statement. Brown is top priority with Bell right behind him. Tuitt will eventually get it done sometime next year.

- - - Updated - - -

Glad this was done! I knew it was going to get done either today or tomorrow!

Let's see how Bell does this year before we decide to "get something done".

GBMelBlount
09-08-2016, 08:47 PM
Great!

- - - Updated - - -

Is it just me or does 10 million a year sound like a helluva lot for any guard.

While I think Decastro is a great guard and have no problem doing whatever it takes during Ben's window, it sounds a bit rich.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/guard/

On a side note, glad that Gilbert seems to have turned the corner. I had my doubts.

polamalubeast
09-08-2016, 08:50 PM
Is it just me or does 10 million a year sounds like a helluva lot for a guard.

While I think Decastro is a great guard and have no problem doing whatever it takes during Ben's window, it sounds a bit rich.

On a side note, glad that Gilbert seems to have turned the corner. I had my doubts.

This is almost the same contract than Kyle Long(Chicago Bears)

Bluecoat96
09-08-2016, 09:04 PM

A handful of years ago, yes. However, with today's salary cap being where it is, this seems about right.

IMHO, of course.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Psycho Ward 86
09-08-2016, 09:32 PM

ill worry about it later when Ben is likely done playing or on the downside of his career

Rara
09-08-2016, 10:22 PM
Let's see how Bell does this year before we decide to "get something done".

As I completely agree.

86WARD
09-09-2016, 06:02 AM
Excellent news.

tube517
09-09-2016, 08:09 AM

Yes, and it sucks...That's the price nowadays. If we waited a year to get this done, the price would be higher.

steelreserve
09-09-2016, 10:04 AM

It's not just you.

Since we're in a situation where we have maybe 3-4 years to try and win a championship though - if they pull out all the stops to try and do that, including backloading it so we don't lose anyone else important, I don't have a problem with it.

Otherwise, that is an obscene amount of cap space to be spending on a position where a big-money player makes the least difference of any position on the team. Not to mention we're also spending $10M on the position where it makes the second-least difference. Not the way you build for success in the long term, but in this case we're not really planning for the long term.

Mojouw
09-09-2016, 11:06 AM
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/guard/

Team paid market price for a top guard. Locks DeCastro up through his prime. The big # is the fact that less than 1/3 of the contract is guaranteed - team likely has an out a year or two in to the deal. In contrast, Kyle Long has 75% of his money guaranteed - hello dead money.

2016, DeCastro is about 5% of the cap. In 2019 he is going to be less than that as the cap will be increased.

What's the big deal? $10 million used to be a lot of money in the NFL, now it isn't.

steelreserve
09-09-2016, 12:33 PM
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/guard/

Team paid market price for a top guard. Locks DeCastro up through his prime. The big # is the fact that less than 1/3 of the contract is guaranteed - team likely has an out a year or two in to the deal. In contrast, Kyle Long has 75% of his money guaranteed - hello dead money.

Until we restructure it next year. Then hello dead money.

Besides, are we really going to cut DeCastro in two years? Not unless we find out he's a serial rapist. So that's meaningless. On contracts like this, we pay full freight, with a $15-$16M dead money problem at the end.

Again though, theoretical - the dead money, cap issues, all that won't matter at the end of this contract; the only thing that WILL matter is finding another QB.

2016, DeCastro is about 5% of the cap. In 2019 he is going to be less than that as the cap will be increased.

By backloading, spreading out the signing bonus, and other funny-money tricks. The salary cap is $155 million; $10M a year is NOT less than 5 percent of that. Only way to get it below that this year is by pushing the cap hit out to future years, so it's not going to be less than 5 percent in the future either.

What's the big deal? $10 million used to be a lot of money in the NFL, now it isn't.

For impact positions it's not. For a guard, hell yeah it is.

Please don't mistake all this for me complaining about the deal, though. Mostly a theoretical salary cap exercise. Under most circumstances, paying $10M a year to an offensive lineman is a shitbrained move no matter how good he is ***EVEN THE LEFT TACKLE***, but under our present circumstances it makes sense.

Mojouw
09-09-2016, 12:48 PM

Besides, are we really going to cut DeCastro in two years? Not unless we find out he's a serial rapist. So that's meaningless. On contracts like this, we pay full freight, with a $15-$16M dead money problem at the end.

Again though, theoretical - the dead money, cap issues, all that won't matter at the end of this contract; the only thing that WILL matter is finding another QB.

By backloading, spreading out the signing bonus, and other funny-money tricks. The salary cap is $155 million; $10M a year is NOT less than 5 percent of that. Only way to get it below that this year is by pushing the cap hit out to future years, so it's not going to be less than 5 percent in the future either.

Please don't mistake all this for me complaining about the deal, though. Mostly a theoretical salary cap exercise. Under most circumstances, paying $10M a year to an offensive lineman is a shitbrained move no matter how good he is ***EVEN THE LEFT TACKLE***, but under our present circumstances it makes sense.

Fair enough. My point is that the Steelers seem to be making a trend with their recent extensions. They will pay big $$$ to core players, but it is on team friendly terms. Meaning there is little totally guaranteed cash and the contract is structured so that it gets easier to cut the player (@ least in terms of the NON restructured cap implications) over the life of the contract.

Making the assumption (a big darn old assumption) that they don't restructure all of these things 18 ways to Sunday in 3 years, they are not going to have any older non peak players clogging up the books. Anyone who becomes dead wood can get cut without a Woodley style dead money situation. Of course, that was what Woodley's original contract allowed for too - until they restructured the entire thing a half dozen times.

polamalubeast
09-09-2016, 12:48 PM

The QB now have 20-25 million per year and the pass rusher has almost 20 million per year.The best WR and CB have 15 million per year, and that could be more for Antonio Brown next year but I have no problem with that.

So it's just to say that the guards have a lot less than the other positions except maybe RB,so I do not understand why you have a problem with this contract.

You had a problem with the contract of Cam Heyward last year, but now some players in his position have bigger contract than him and this is not close.

steelreserve
09-09-2016, 05:37 PM
The QB now have 20-25 million per year and the pass rusher has almost 20 million per year.The best WR and CB have 15 million per year, and that could be more for Antonio Brown next year but I have no problem with that.

So it's just to say that the guards have a lot less than the other positions except maybe RB,so I do not understand why you have a problem with this contract.

You had a problem with the contract of Cam Heyward last year, but now some players in his position have bigger contract than him and this is not close.

All comes down to positional value. The difference to your team between a $20 million quarterback and a $15 million quarterback is enormous. The benefit to having a $10 million offensive guard versus a $5 million offensive guard is not a whole lot. The value of an individual star player on the line is very little compared to the value of across-the-board competence.

Now, I get that you can't control how good a player is going to be when you draft him, so it's not like we have the option of signing DeCastro for $5 million. Personally, if I was building the team from scratch, I'd try to find five guys roughly like Gilbert and if anyone needed $10M, they could walk and go get it from the Jets or some team like that. ***NO, NOT RIGHT NOW, DUH - IF WE WERE BUILDING THE TEAM FROM SCRATCH***

On the subject of market value - yeah, the going rate for the ultimate top-tier pass rushers is $20M, but compare that to a guy you get for $10M, and that second $10 million gives you a very, very small return on investment.

polamalubeast
09-09-2016, 05:53 PM
All comes down to positional value. The difference to your team between a $20 million quarterback and a $15 million quarterback is enormous. The benefit to having a $10 million offensive guard versus a $5 million offensive guard is not a whole lot. The value of an individual star player on the line is very little compared to the value of across-the-board competence.

Now, I get that you can't control how good a player is going to be when you draft him, so it's not like we have the option of signing DeCastro for $5 million. Personally, if I was building the team from scratch, I'd try to find five guys roughly like Gilbert and if anyone needed $10M, they could walk and go get it from the Jets or some team like that. ***NO, NOT RIGHT NOW, DUH - IF WE WERE BUILDING THE TEAM FROM SCRATCH***

On the subject of market value - yeah, the going rate for the ultimate top-tier pass rushers is $20M, but compare that to a guy you get for $10M, and that second $10 million gives you a very, very small return on investment.

Gilbert is underpaid if he continues to play like last year.

steelreserve
09-09-2016, 06:27 PM
Gilbert is underpaid if he continues to play like last year.

No, someone is overpaying him if they think he's worth $10 million.

By the way, the issue with Heyward's contract was completely different from the Pouncey/DeCastro issue. His was the Timmons issue. He was absolutely worth it, but we probably overpaid by 10-15% based on comparable players' stats and salaries. Same with Timmons.

But wait! Before everyone dusts off the old "WAIT U THINK PLAYERS R GONNA TAKE LESS $$ THAN THEY CUD GET ON THE OPEN MKT & GIVE A HOMETOWN DISCOUNT JUST BC WERE THE STEELERS WELL THANK GOD UR NOT THE GM" ... no, that's not it at all. We literally paid more than market value for both. There were comparable players making the same, but they also had slightly better stats. Even forgetting all that - could we have shaved 10-15% off by sweetening the guaranteed money? Absolutely. And why not do that - when we do the restructures like we do with every big deal, we guarantee almost the whole contract anyway! So no, in neither of those cases were we master negotiators or salary cap geniuses.

The difference with that compared to Pouncey and DeCastro? Timmons and Heyward we probably could've had for less, but those kinds of players are worth keeping. Pouncey and Decastro - nobody at either position is worth the amount we paid. Important distinction.

polamalubeast
09-09-2016, 06:36 PM
No, someone is overpaying him if they think he's worth $10 million.

By the way, the issue with Heyward's contract was completely different from the Pouncey/DeCastro issue. His was the Timmons issue. He was absolutely worth it, but we probably overpaid by 10-15% based on comparable players' stats and salaries. Same with Timmons.

But wait! Before everyone dusts off the old "WAIT U THINK PLAYERS R GONNA TAKE LESS $$ THAN THEY CUD GET ON THE OPEN MKT & GIVE A HOMETOWN DISCOUNT JUST BC WERE THE STEELERS WELL THANK GOD UR NOT THE GM" ... no, that's not it at all. We literally paid more than market value for both. There were comparable players making the same, but they also had slightly better stats. Even forgetting all that - could we have shaved 10-15% off by sweetening the guaranteed money? Absolutely. And why not do that - when we do the restructures like we do with every big deal, we guarantee almost the whole contract anyway! So no, in neither of those cases were we master negotiators or salary cap geniuses.

The difference with that compared to Pouncey and DeCastro? Timmons and Heyward we probably could've had for less, but those kinds of players are worth keeping. Pouncey and Decastro - nobody at either position is worth the amount we paid. Important distinction.

I think you underestimate Gilbert from last year especially he has shutdown Von Miller twice last year.If Bruce Arians would have had in his time Decastro and Pouncey with Mike Munchak as their o-line coach, Arians would still be our OC.

Also, the Steelers have only restructure two contracts in the off-season, it was Mitchell and Gilbert.Roethlisberger has a cap hit of 23 million this year and only 18 million next year.

Mojouw
09-09-2016, 06:44 PM

Go ahead. Build your team with your #'s. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/

If you replace a contract, say Decastro's, with another it has to be done with a similar player and similar draft round value. No replacing a 25 year old 1st round pick with a 36 year old UDFA making the vet minimum. Similarly, no just nabbing 1st round picks playing on cheap-o rookie deals.

I'm going to bet you can't do it. I really doubt you can replicate one of the best O lines in the game and most likely the best 3 man line in football for less $$$.

My point is that when you hit big on high round draft picks like the Steelers have recently, you have to pay them when it is time for that second contract.

Remember when everyone freaked out about Pouncey's contract? http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/center/
Now he getting paid about market rate (after setting the market) and he gets far less guaranteed than others.

Here is another set of comps: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/guard/round-1/

Everyone who is cheaper is on a rookie deal and/or has almost the whole thing guaranteed.

Mojouw
09-09-2016, 06:53 PM
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/guard/round-1/

Doesn't look that off from other 1st round guards on second contracts.

teegre
09-09-2016, 09:01 PM
Take everything that steelreserve said, and turn it 180 degrees... voila!!! you have my stance on the re-signing of DD.

hawaiiansteeler
09-09-2016, 09:06 PM
My point is that when you hit big on high round draft picks like the Steelers have recently, you have to pay them when it is time for that second contract.

$$$$

Mojouw
09-09-2016, 10:41 PM
My recent post in this thread was unnecessarily combative and confrontational. It was supposed to be edited and then Tapatalk posted it anyways. Apologies to Steelrrserve. It was not my intention to breathe fire at anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteelerFanInStl
09-10-2016, 08:44 AM
If you want a great OL like we've built, it's going to cost $$$. That great OL allows Ben, Bell, Brown, etc. to do what they do. It's the cornerstone of the offense.

steelreserve
09-10-2016, 11:21 AM
To be perfectly clear: No, I am not saying we should have let DeCastro walk, or that replacing him in the fly would be the smart move. It was the right decision given our situation, which is that we are trying to win a championship in a very short amount of time, not 5 years from now.

What I AM saying is that ordinarily, I would go about building the offensive line in a completely different way. More like five $4-5 million guys, probably half originally signed as free agents so you know in advance roughly what you're getting.

Pouncey last year showed us the value of an individual star lineman making $10M, which is to say not much more than one who is merely competent. Similar to DB, the key is to not have one guy who constantly gets burned and causes the whole thing to fall apart.

So while it's good in this case that we kept the essential parts of a functioning unit together for a near-future goal, I don't think that's a winning strategy in most other cases. Every team basically has 6-7 salary slots they can afford to pay a $XX,XXX,XXX contract, and essentially what we've done is shift two of them from pass rusher and DB to offensive guard and offensive tackle. What are the two positions people are complaining about our lack of depth and we're constantly spamming high draft picks on, again? Oh yeah, pass rusher and DB. Think about how much better things world be there if we had those slots back. Yes, that means we could've signed Weddle with room to spare, and - get this - STILL had a very good offensive line! Who besides a crackhead wouldn't take that?

polamalubeast
09-10-2016, 05:44 PM
To be perfectly clear: No, I am not saying we should have let DeCastro walk, or that replacing him in the fly would be the smart move. It was the right decision given our situation, which is that we are trying to win a championship in a very short amount of time, not 5 years from now.

What I AM saying is that ordinarily, I would go about building the offensive line in a completely different way. More like five $4-5 million guys, probably half originally signed as free agents so you know in advance roughly what you're getting.

Pouncey last year showed us the value of an individual star lineman making $10M, which is to say not much more than one who is merely competent. Similar to DB, the key is to not have one guy who constantly gets burned and causes the whole thing to fall apart.

So while it's good in this case that we kept the essential parts of a functioning unit together for a near-future goal, I don't think that's a winning strategy in most other cases. Every team basically has 6-7 salary slots they can afford to pay a $XX,XXX,XXX contract, and essentially what we've done is shift two of them from pass rusher and DB to offensive guard and offensive tackle. What are the two positions people are complaining about our lack of depth and we're constantly spamming high draft picks on, again? Oh yeah, pass rusher and DB. Think about how much better things world be there if we had those slots back. Yes, that means we could've signed Weddle with room to spare, and - get this - STILL had a very good offensive line! Who besides a crackhead wouldn't take that?

If you want players that costs 5-6 million at the o-line, you'll have a very average o-line with players like Chris Kemoeatu and Willie Colon.

A great contract like Gilbert is an exception, not the rule.

Mojouw
09-10-2016, 09:44 PM
Looking at spotrac the only team in the 20-25 million range that doesn't suck is the Cowboys. Weird. They have almos their whole line on controlled rookie deals.

hawaiiansteeler
09-10-2016, 10:09 PM
Looking at spotrac the only team in the 20-25 million range that doesn't suck is the Cowboys. Weird. They have almos their whole line on controlled rookie deals.

that's gonna change very soon.

next year Tyron Smith's cap charge will be $15,800,000 and Travis Frederick's will be $14,871,000...that's over $30 mill right there invested in just 2 players.

in addition, both La'el Collins and Zack Martin will be in the last year of their rookie contracts and are going to want to get paid.

fansince'76
09-10-2016, 10:33 PM
Pouncey last year showed us the value of an individual star lineman making $10M, which is to say not much more than one who is merely competent.

Except that we almost lost Roethlisberger for the season last year during the Rams game thanks largely to Cody Wallace standing around about ten yards away from the play with his thumb up his ass.

http://yegphysiotherapy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/br.0.gif

Seriously, WTF was Wallace doing here?

If you want players that costs 5-6 million at the o-line, you'll have a very average o-line with players like Chris Kemoeatu and Willie Colon.

Exactly. You get what you pay for. And personally, I'm seriously over watching our franchise QB getting beaten to shit on a weekly basis due to subpar pass blocking. Especially considering the fact that nothing will torpedo the season faster than a significant injury to Roethlisberger.

Would people prefer we go back to having guys like Jonathan Scott on the OL? Really? I realize that Munchak has done a great job and is probably the most indispensable coach on the staff, but I don't think it's exactly fair to ask him to try and work miracles and make chicken salad out of chicken shit either.

steelreserve
09-11-2016, 05:23 PM
Our problem before was not that we had $5 million and $6 million players, it's that we gave out $5-6M contracts to guys who were basically backup quality.

I don't know whether that was because we were wildly optimistic about their "potential," didn't have a clue how to evaluate OL talent, or scared because they were the only guys we had, but all of Colon, Kemo and Starks were GROSSLY overvalued and we probably should've been looking for other players.

No one is suggesting we should form the line out of scrubs like Jon Scott and Darnell Stapleton. Just that $10 million players are not necessary there. Remember when we had both Pouncey and DeCastro, and the line still sucked? That was because we always had one or two dickheads mixed in also. Replacing those guys had everything to do with the line starting to actually function.

One other thing I don't get about guys like Colon, Kemo, Starks, etc ... why such a premium is placed keeping "our" guys in those cases. Fear of the unknown? If you were to forget who originally drafted whom and ask yourself, "for $6M, I can either sign Kemo or what other offensive guard for a similar amount of money?" Chances are you'd up with some decent players. Not just guys who you know are shaky but sign anyway. Our big problem from that era anyway.

polamalubeast
09-11-2016, 05:27 PM
Our problem before was not that we had $5 million and $6 million players, it's that we gave out $5-6M contracts to guys who were basically backup quality.

I don't know whether that was because we were wildly optimistic about their "potential," didn't have a clue how to evaluate OL talent, or scared because they were the only guys we had, but all of Colon, Kemo and Starks were GROSSLY overvalued and we probably should've been looking for other players.

No one is suggesting we should form the line out of scrubs like Jon Scott and Darnell Stapleton. Just that $10 million players are not necessary there. Remember when we had both Pouncey and DeCastro, and the line still sucked? That was because we always had one or two dickheads mixed in also. Replacing those guys had everything to do with the line starting to actually function.

A average o-lineman cost way more than you think.

And the o-line was horrible in 2013 because the o-line coach was so bad.

steelreserve
09-11-2016, 05:29 PM
A average o-lineman cost way more than you think.

And the o-line was horrible in 2013 because the o-line coach was so bad.

Do they cost $10 million? No? Moving on.

polamalubeast
09-11-2016, 05:36 PM

No but 6-7 millions,it happens often!

Several teams were ready to give the same contract that the Steelers gave to Willie Colon in 2011 and now the market has only go up.

86WARD
09-11-2016, 05:40 PM

Uh yeah...yeah they do cost in that neighborhood if you want quality...lol.

Mojouw
09-11-2016, 05:42 PM

Hmmm. It is almost like you are being willfully ignorant at this point.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/offensive-line/

Average contract figure per year for a starting offensive lineman (let alone one of Decastro's caliber and pedigree) is between 6 and 13 million dollars. Basically exactly where Decastro's contract slots out with the yearly cap charges wobbling between 8-10 million per year.

Most of the list below 6 million per year are guys that are on rookie deals, back-ups, not very good, or a combination of all of those things. Not Pro Bowl guards in their peak years.

It's the same thing on every contract thread. And you have some excellent points about opportunity costs and the danger of salary cap creep due to the multiple restructures and reworkings each individual contract tends to see. But the initial contracts are typically very solid team favorable deals.

The opportunity cost is a really interesting point to debate. It seems the Steelers are rolling the dice big time that they can sink money into the trenches on both sides of the ball and roll at a secondary and LB corps manned by talented but cheap draft picks. That is a significantly different approach for this team.

polamalubeast
09-11-2016, 05:44 PM

This

Psycho Ward 86
09-11-2016, 09:28 PM
you guys are worried about cap hits we might struggle with by the time Big Ben is retired, at which point it no longer matters. i dont know why were doing this

steelreserve
09-11-2016, 10:30 PM

You don't. You want just below that quality.

you guys are worried about cap hits we might struggle with by the time Big Ben is retired, at which point it no longer matters. i dont know why were doing this

I'm not talking about that. In this case, it was a good move. I don't think it's the way you build for the long term, but we're not doing that.

My point in this thread is not even close to the same as others about contracts. Those are players we needed but probably could've gotten a slightly better deal for ourselves.

In DeCastro's case, we're not overpaying - we just don't really *NEED* a player that good at that price. It's not a contract thing, it's a positional value/priority thing.

In this case we benefit more by having a key player stick around, but in almost every other case that is not win-now mode, I think the tradeoff of an offensive guard versus a $10 million player at another position is not even close.

Rara
09-12-2016, 03:19 PM
You know, it's funny...I got laughed at by a member on here for saying "Pay the man, he earned it!"..if I remember correctly, I believe that same guy was laughing at me because that's "too much to spend on a lineman"...which in fact is our best offensive lineman.

BlackAndGold
09-13-2016, 12:40 AM
Tonight showed why DeCastro was worth it. He helped lead the way for Williams. His run blocking on the counter is fun to watch.

86WARD
09-13-2016, 06:19 AM
He was a beast!!

tube517
09-13-2016, 07:44 AM
Yeah he is pretty good :chuckle:

Sent from my LG G Stylo using Crapatalk

SteelerFanInStl
09-13-2016, 08:06 AM
Tonight showed why DeCastro was worth it. He helped lead the way for Williams. His run blocking on the counter is fun to watch.

Most definitely.

ALLD
09-13-2016, 02:58 PM
I thought they overpaid DeCastro at the time, but what do I know? Obviously after watching him play he almost deserves a raise.

Do we seriously want to go back 5 years screaming about Ben running for his life on every passing down? Do we want to break up the Beatles? Munchak should be tied up with a very, very long term contract.

Edman
09-13-2016, 05:55 PM
Except that we almost lost Roethlisberger for the season last year during the Rams game thanks largely to Cody Wallace standing around about ten yards away from the play with his thumb up his ass.

http://yegphysiotherapy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/br.0.gif

Seriously, WTF was Wallace doing here?

Wallace was on a double-team with Decastro on Aaron Donald. You know, the very disruptive all-pro Defensive Tackle. Ben was about to escape and Barron, stumbling to the ground, got just enough of his leg.

That whole play was a total fluke accident and a bad break for Ben and the Steelers. I've seen shit pass protection.

This isn't it.

SteelMember
09-14-2016, 02:20 PM
He gets what someone is willing to pay. He's a good player. I'm glad we signed him. 66 lives on...

polamalubeast
09-17-2016, 07:34 AM

fansince'76
09-17-2016, 07:40 AM
Wallace was on a double-team with Decastro on Aaron Donald. You know, the very disruptive all-pro Defensive Tackle. Ben was about to escape and Barron, stumbling to the ground, got just enough of his leg.

That whole play was a total fluke accident and a bad break for Ben and the Steelers. I've seen shit pass protection.

This isn't it.

I might accept that if Wallace was, you know, actively engaged in doubling someone as opposed to just looking around in space for someone to block with a "Duh, which way did he go, George?" look about him...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs-Q0JmWjj0

Either way, Wallace to Pouncey = a quite sizable upgrade.

86WARD
09-17-2016, 08:36 AM
I might accept that if Wallace was, you know, actively engaged in doubling someone as opposed to just looking around in space for someone to block with a "Duh, which way did he go, George?" look about him...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs-Q0JmWjj0

Either way, Wallace to Pouncey = a quite sizable upgrade.

Its a little bit of an upgrade...lol.