PDA

View Full Version : Sean Davis could become Steelers' first rookie DB to start opener in 19 years

stillers4me
09-08-2016, 05:22 AM
Sean Davis (http://www.scout.com/player/160531-sean-davis) had to fill about 30 ticket requests for family members and friends who'll travel across town to the Washington Redskins' FedExField to watch his homecoming with the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers).

Davis was born and raised in Washington D.C. and went to college at nearby College Park at the University of Maryland (http://www.scout.com/college/maryland).
But will every one of the 30 locals dress in black and gold?

"Oh, yeah," said Davis. "I'm positive. Positive."

Of course, we remember Davis on draft day saying how much his father had always loved the Steelers. "He might be happier than I am," Davis said of being chosen in the second round.

Davis had instead been a Redskins fan, a Sean Taylor fan in particular. But on Monday night, he'll be more Chad Scott. And that's a good thing because Scott -- also out of Maryland and also a hybrid safety/cornerback in college -- was the last rookie defensive back to start an opener for the Steelers.............

Read more @ http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1704123-rookie-readying-for-homecoming

teegre
09-08-2016, 06:24 AM
At first, I was excited:
"Yeah!!! Davis is going to start at strong safety!!!"

Then, I read the article:
"Oh... he's playing in the slot. Meh."

steelreserve
09-08-2016, 09:50 AM
At first, I was excited:
"Yeah!!! Davis is going to start at strong safety!!!"

Then, I read the article:
"Oh... he's playing in the slot. Meh."

Meh? More like gulp.

Dwinsgames
09-08-2016, 10:00 AM
Lets hope he has a better career than Chad Scott who was often the whipping boy of steeler nation

Mojouw
09-09-2016, 11:09 PM
To be fair who knows what would've been if Scott didn't get shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teegre
09-10-2016, 01:16 AM
To be fair who knows what would've been if Scott didn't get shot.

I think that you're thinking of Deon Figures. Figures was looking promising... then, he got shot (and was never the same).

Scott looked good as a rookie, but got injured in 1998 (Lake moved to CB)... and indeed, Scott was never the same after that.

Mojouw
09-10-2016, 09:34 AM
I think that you're thinking of Deon Figures. Figures was looking promising... then, he got shot (and was never the same).

Scott looked good as a rookie, but got injured in 1998 (Lake moved to CB)... and indeed, Scott was never the same after that.
Oh yeah. I am. Shouldn't post late at night after beer. All I could remember was a CB getting shot in the knee or something like that.

steelreserve
09-10-2016, 11:53 AM
It can work both ways. Look at how Joey Porter played after he got shot.

This gives me a great idea. Since getting shot seems to have a 50-50 chance of ruining your career or turning you into an All-Pro, we should take all our underperforming draft picks in the last year of their rookie contract and shoot them in the butt. Viola, one of Mike Adams and Jarvis Jones is now a superstar.

I would've just kicked Antwon Blake in the nuts, though. He was to hopeless, plus you can only shoot so many people before it starts affecting your ability to sign free agents.

teegre
09-10-2016, 05:53 PM
It can work both ways. Look at how Joey Porter played after he got shot.

This gives me a great idea. Since getting shot seems to have a 50-50 chance of ruining your career or turning you into an All-Pro, we should take all our underperforming draft picks in the last year of their rookie contract and shoot them in the butt. Viola, one of Mike Adams and Jarvis Jones is now a superstar.

I would've just kicked Antwon Blake in the nuts, though. He was to hopeless, plus you can only shoot so many people before it starts affecting your ability to sign free agents.

:rofl2: Nice

Joking aside, as good as Porter was, he would have been even better (if not for getting shot in the glut).

I specifically remember a MNF game where, on third downs, he lined up as the sole linebacker in a dime formation (4DL, 6 DB, and Porter). He gave the Raidahs fits in that formation: an INT, plus a couple of sacks up the middle... in addition to the pressure he put in when playing at the OLB position (first & second downs). Had he not gotten injured, we might be talking about the G.O.A.T.

Mojouw
09-10-2016, 10:55 PM
:rofl2: Nice

Joking aside, as good as Porter was, he would have been even better (if not for getting shot in the glut).

I specifically remember a MNF game where, on third downs, he lined up as the sole linebacker in a dime formation (4DL, 6 DB, and Porter). He gave the Raidahs fits in that formation: an INT, plus a couple of sacks up the middle... in addition to the pressure he put in when playing at the OLB position (first & second downs). Had he not gotten injured, we might be talking about the G.O.A.T.

Yeah. That and a game against Tampa where he was welcoming Walker to the NFL and he just keep waving to the DC to send him. If Porter would've had like 2 more dominant years he would be in the conversation for HOF.

But. Again I could be remembering wrong. I do that fairly often

teegre
09-11-2016, 12:43 AM
Yeah. That and a game against Tampa where he was welcoming Walker to the NFL and he just keep waving to the DC to send him. If Porter would've had like 2 more dominant years he would be in the conversation for HOF.

But. Again I could be remembering wrong. I do that fairly often

Spot on.

The team as a whole had 10 sacks, and Porter stated that they could have had 20 against Kenyetta Walker... but, they eased up (so as not to completely embarrass him).