PDA

View Full Version : Here we go!!! The 2016 Pittsburgh Steelers... What do you think?

StillCurtains
09-06-2016, 12:07 AM
Hello Fellas!

I've been gone for awhile. I'd like to see what you think about this year's team! First I'll give you my thoughts.

I'll start with the offense:
Marcus Gilbert: Day to day - When can he make it back and can his side of the line hold up in his absence?

Gradkowski: Out again and his Steeler career likely over. Really sad for him. I'm sorry but I just don't like Landry Jones. He seems half interested at times and he just doesn't take control of the huddle for being with the team so long. He shows no fire at all. It's just not what you look for out of your backup QB. I like the Mettenberger pickup, but my concern is that if Ben were to go down, how much of the offense would he know to be effective since he hasn't been in camp.

Greene: Out 6 to 8 weeks - Well we miss Heath's blocking but not only that, Ben has yet to have a true safety valve for the middle of the field. Will Greene be able to make it back and how effective would he be if he did being as he also has not been available at camp. Can Jesse James man the position all season if called upon?

Bryant: Suspended for the season - This is a huge blow. The coaching staff was really optimistic about Coates filling the void coming into camp, but I'm not so sure. I'm not saying that he can't improve once the season progresses, but his inconsistency in the preseason was a bit of a concern. Can Wheaton have a breakout season to roll some coverage away from AB with his injury setback? I feel that we may need a combination of Wheaton and production from one of our slot guys Heyward Bey, Coates or Rodgers to make up for the production of Bryant. Something tells me that Rodgers will surpass Heyward Bey and Coates to man the slot by mid-season.

Bell: Suspended 3 games - This is very disturbing making you wonder if he is serious about playing in the league. I like the depth we have with Williams, Touissant and Richardson, but the loss of Bell hurts because his talent makes this offense much more dynamic creating matchup problems.

Now the Defense:
It seems we've dodged a bullet with Hargrave's knee and I hope Heyward isn't trying to rush back from his ankle.

Dupree: Out 8 weeks - OLB is the position I have the most concern with so this really hurts. Moates is serviceable, but with the fact that we haven't seen anything from Jarvis on the other side since his arrival in Pittsburgh, we need more than serviceable on that side to generate a pass rush. Jarvis is really going to be key this year with Dupree's injury. Yes we still have Debo, but he's 38 years old and needs rotation. I also like Chickillo, but is he ready to man one side of the field all season if called upon? Can Dupree make an impact if he makes it back?

I'm fine with the safety play as of now so that is all I will say about them when it comes to the secondary. I do feel that they should keep Davis at Safety instead of moving him around in the slot. He struggled in the slot a bit, but I know they tried this mostly due to injuries.

Golson: Out 6 to 8 weeks - The guy can't catch a break. I wonder if he's able to make it back, will it affect him mentally as he has been injured 2 years straight. I have concerns with the tackling of our corners. Cockrell and Gilbert lack physicality, so I have concerns with them being bullied. They both have the talent and athletic ability though, especially Gilbert. Although I prefer coverage and making plays on the ball, I hope the coaches can clean up the tackling issues. I don't have concerns with Gay in that area.

I also wonder if Gay can keep up with the high profile receivers on the outside being that he lacks the talent. I do feel this is where he needs to be as of now as the others try to develop and his mentorship and knowledge is needed. We all know about Gilbert's talent and ability and I truly hope he pans out and can show he's grown up. It will at the very least take awhile for him to get a grasp of the defense to have any kind of impact.

This leaves me to Burns who I feel WILL be a true stud of a corner. His injury set him back and I know his preseason debut is a small sample size but, the kid plays with attitude and hunger. His demeanor says that he wants it to me. He plays with an energy that says that he wants to dominate his opponent and he likes to mix it up. I feel much better about this secondary than last year as we had to survive Blake. Lake now has the talent he needs.

So my take on the team is if we can get some key guys back while staying healthy throughout, I see this team getting stronger as the season progresses, which will allow our units to gel and bring back the 7th Lombardi. On the other hand, if we can't get back some key guys and the injuries persist, it will not allow this team to have any continuity in certain areas, which will be musical chairs in certain positions. In that case I feel that would be a result of another Divisional round playoff exit as last year.

Tell me what you guys think!

polamalubeast
09-06-2016, 09:54 AM
We need to focus what we have, not what we do not have.

Also I would like to have a BYE for the playoffs for the first time since 2010.