08-31-2016, 03:29 PM

He is also 0-10 in his 10 starts....

Born2Steel
08-31-2016, 03:32 PM
Nice.

pczach
08-31-2016, 03:33 PM
It's the perfect spot for Mettenberger.

He's not the face of the franchise, or the young guy with all the expectations on his shoulders. He has had some maturity issues, and this will allow him to work under an established HOF quarterback to learn and not worry about all the other stuff and just work on his craft. He needs to hit the playbook and the film room, and maybe turn his career into something more than he has been to this point: A reliable, mature, prepared quarterback.

I like this pickup. I think it makes a ton of sense to get another strong-armed young quarterback to develop and hope the light goes on and everything clicks.

Mojouw
08-31-2016, 03:36 PM
I can see the logic in this. Let's hope this works out.

Means someone else doesn't make the 53.

What if they keep Jones and Mettenberger and then cut Matakevich? WHOA BOY!

Born2Steel
08-31-2016, 03:37 PM
I can see the logic in this. Let's hope this works out.

Means someone else doesn't make the 53.

What if they keep Jones and Mettenberger and then cut Matakevich? WHOA BOY!

I'm pulling for 'Dirty Red' as much as the next guy, but which is more of a need? It would suck to lose a player with his upside, but today, it makes sense.

zulater
08-31-2016, 03:39 PM
Good move. Think this means Grakowski is gone.

Mojouw
08-31-2016, 03:52 PM
I'm pulling for 'Dirty Red' as much as the next guy, but which is more of a need? It would suck to lose a player with his upside, but today, it makes sense.

I agree. My attempt at "humor" didn't really come through.

A team with deep playoff run hopes needs to be deep at the QB spot. Not saying Mettenberger is all that great, but he has a pulse and can throw the ball over 10 yards, that makes him better than most of the other 3rd QB options.

steelreserve
08-31-2016, 03:55 PM
I can't say I'm over the moon or anything, but we needed someone and he was probably the best we were going to find, so that's a good pickup for us.

On the one hand, my expectations are a bit tempered by the fact that he basically has almost identical stats to Landry Jones over more games.

On the other, he put up those stats on a much worse team, and seemed to carry himself like a somewhat normal QB while doing it. He's even younger than our boy Landry, so maybe he's got more potential to develop into something useful.

polamalubeast
08-31-2016, 04:09 PM

86WARD
08-31-2016, 04:23 PM
I'm very happy with this and this could work out very well for the Steelers. He's not a terrible QB and he's on a much much much better team than he was when he was 0-10.

polamalubeast
08-31-2016, 04:27 PM
He almost beat us in 2014...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201411170oti.htm

Shoes
08-31-2016, 04:54 PM
I'm not a fan of three QB's on the roster but Tomlin is. I guess this is probably one of the better #3 out there.

Nadroj 20
08-31-2016, 04:54 PM
Hmmm I thought he would be on his way to Minnesota but we grabbed him before they could. I like that we have options.

j-d-s
08-31-2016, 05:01 PM
I would even see him as #2. I really like this signing, Mettenberger is better than Jones and especially has more upside. He certainly can learn a lot by working with Ben, Fichtner and Haley.

I hope he only sees action in the 4th quarter when we blow out opponents.

polamalubeast
08-31-2016, 05:06 PM
Right now, Jones is a better option because Mettenberger does not know the playbook.

salamander
08-31-2016, 05:07 PM
I'm calling it now...

The "Berger" brothers at QB. :chuckle:

86WARD
08-31-2016, 05:07 PM
His surroundings are leaps and bounds above and better than what he had in Tennessee.

Shoes
08-31-2016, 05:09 PM
I would even see him as #2. I really like this signing, Mettenberger is better than Jones and especially has more upside. He certainly can learn a lot by working with Ben, Fichtner and Haley.

I hope he only sees action in the 4th quarter when we blow out opponents.

I don't see that happening unless Jones gets injured. Jones should remain #2 at least for this season.

BlackAndGold
08-31-2016, 05:15 PM
He isn't going to replace Jones at the #2 QB.

Until they draft a QB that they plan on being Ben's successor, Jones will be the #2 QB for this team.

Moose
08-31-2016, 05:18 PM
It's the perfect spot for Mettenberger.

He's not the face of the franchise, or the young guy with all the expectations on his shoulders. He has had some maturity issues, and this will allow him to work under an established HOF quarterback to learn and not worry about all the other stuff and just work on his craft. He needs to hit the playbook and the film room, and maybe turn his career into something more than he has been to this point: A reliable, mature, prepared quarterback.

I like this pickup. I think it makes a ton of sense to get another strong-armed young quarterback to develop and hope the light goes on and everything clicks.

Agree ! We definitely need a youngster up and coming behind Ben. Gradkowski is injury prone and can't count on him to be there if needed, needs to get his walking papers and/or possibly do some wheeling and dealing with. Jones is just plain terrible and as Gradkowski not reliable for anything. It's just a terrible #2 and #3 QB scenario for our team. Hopefully Zach will be our future problem solver if needed. Don't forgot how Ben was thrown into the mix when Maddox went down.

Iron Steeler
08-31-2016, 05:28 PM
Our depth chart is going to look like a McDonald's value meal menu .

" I'll have a Roethlisberger with a side of Mettenberger"

tube517
08-31-2016, 05:35 PM
Landry will be #2 this year but he is a free agent in 2017.

Maybe they are just keeping ahead of the curve or at least trying to do so.

zulater
08-31-2016, 05:49 PM
I doubt "Ben's successor" will be brought onto the roster while Ben's still on it. I think the plan is to maximize draft picks to bolster the roster around Ben so long as he's a franchise qb.

stillers4me
08-31-2016, 05:53 PM
:chuckle:

pczach
08-31-2016, 06:22 PM
I'm calling it now...

Let's see.....

1. Roethlisberger
2. Jones
3. Mettenberger

Does that make this a Jones Berger?

polamalubeast
08-31-2016, 06:23 PM
I doubt "Ben's successor" will be brought onto the roster while Ben's still on it. I think the plan is to maximize draft picks to bolster the roster around Ben so long as he's a franchise qb.

This.

SteelerCountry58
08-31-2016, 06:32 PM
Nice pickup,he's better then Jones. The only reason Jones will hang around is playbook knowledge and slim pickings elsewhere. Zach should step into the backup role over time.

salamander
08-31-2016, 07:00 PM
Let's see.....

1. Roethlisberger
2. Jones
3. Mettenberger

Does that make this a Jones Berger?

*Pulls up to the drive-thru*
"Yes, I'll have two Bergers, hold the Jones please"

:lol:

Count Steeler
08-31-2016, 07:24 PM
Way better than the Mike Vick failure.

steelreserve
08-31-2016, 07:44 PM
As far as the #2 job ... yeah, it should be Jones' by default to start the season because Mettenberger doesn't know the playbook. But the instant that gap is even close, it ought to be an open competition because that is Jones' ONLY advantage over any random dingbat.

He had one good game last year (one good half, really) but after that idiot-savant performance we got his customary avalanche of dogshit. I would not trust him with the #2 job unless we absolutely have no choice - which for the moment we don't, but once that changes, hopefully so does the backup situation.

No, I am not rushing to crown Mettenberger the second coming or anything, but let's not forget, even with all that extra experience and learning curve under his belt, Jones still threw interceptions on nearly 10 PERCENT of his pass attempts last year. Let that sink in for a moment. Mettenberger is no peach either, but he was nowhere near that number and he's at least had a fair number of decent, even very good games mixed in with the shitpile of losses. Last year the Titans just absolutely sucked, though, and so did he.

teegre
08-31-2016, 08:21 PM
The Steelers had interest in Mettenberger in the 2014 draft.

So, this makes a ton of sense.

GBMelBlount
08-31-2016, 08:23 PM

I will be pissed if Matakevich does not make the 53 man roster because we picked up an ave. backup with an 0-10 record who arguably could be easily replaced with somebody comparable off the street if Ben and Jones went down.

hawaiiansteeler
08-31-2016, 08:58 PM
The Steelers had interest in Mettenberger in the 2014 draft.

So, this makes a ton of sense.

the Steelers did show a lot of interest in him but I figured we wouldn't draft him after he had a positive drug test at the Combine.

but the Steelers probably took notice when in 2014, Mettenberger's rookie year as a Titan he started against the Steelers and only narrowly lost 27-24.

his stats that game were: 15-24 for 263 yards with 2 TDs, 1 int and a passer rating of 110.2...

Psycho Ward 86
08-31-2016, 09:03 PM
i love this move. wont be hamstrung by the Landry experiment net offseason. Mettenberger can be a great backup in this league

BigNastyDefense
09-01-2016, 05:22 AM
I'm not a fan of three QB's on the roster but Tomlin is. I guess this is probably one of the better #3 out there.

When your starting QB has only started all 16 games in a season three times in 12 seasons, it's probably a good idea to carry three QB's on your roster.

The third QB, who is usually inactive, is the only inactive player actually allowed to enter the game he's not activated for, with the one stipulation being that if the inactive QB does have to enter the game - the two QB's that were active are now disqualified from returning to the game even if the inactive player gets hurt and cannot continue to play.

So even if the Steelers were to carry 2 QB's so they could carry an extra at whatever position you choose - you'd still have to have so many inactive players and none of them would be able to enter the game in an emergency situation.

Nadroj 20
09-01-2016, 07:33 AM
I will be pissed if Matakevich does not make the 53 man roster because we picked up an ave. backup with an 0-10 record who arguably could be easily replaced with somebody comparable off the street if Ben and Jones went down.

In my opinion if he doesn't make the team because of this then he was never going to make the team and isn't good enough. That's just my opinion on the Steelers thought process if he does indeed get cut.

polamalubeast
09-01-2016, 07:36 AM

If Matakevich do not make the team, it will not be because of this move, because the Steelers always keep 3 QB, no matter what.

steel striker
09-01-2016, 11:18 AM
I like the signing Zack would be fine as back up qb.

GRAYGHOST668
09-01-2016, 11:46 AM
it is not an impressive move,,,,they should have drafted a QB ,,,,when was the last time the Steelers had a good backup and please don't say Charlie Batch

Born2Steel
09-01-2016, 12:19 PM
What happens with Brenner now?

steelreserve
09-01-2016, 12:46 PM
it is not an impressive move,,,,they should have drafted a QB ,,,,when was the last time the Steelers had a good backup and please don't say Charlie Batch

Neil O'Donnell was a pretty good backup ... oh wait, he was the starter, never mind.

Shoes
09-01-2016, 12:47 PM
If Matakevich do not make the team, it will not be because of this move, because the Steelers always keep 3 QB, no matter what.

Dirty Red has a good game tonight he'll be on the roster.

ALLD
09-01-2016, 01:11 PM
I'm calling it now...

Double burger QBs.

teegre
09-01-2016, 01:21 PM
the Steelers did show a lot of interest in him but I figured we wouldn't draft him after he had a positive drug test at the Combine.

but the Steelers probably took notice when in 2014, Mettenberger's rookie year as a Titan he started against the Steelers and only narrowly lost 27-24.

his stats that game were: 15-24 for 263 yards with 2 TDs, 1 int and a passer rating of 110.2...

Mary Jane strikes again. :lol:

Yep. I was impressed with him in that game. I like the signing.

Hawkman
09-01-2016, 06:50 PM

It's called "backup" for a reason. There are starting QBs in this league that aren't even good enough be "backups".

st33lersguy
09-01-2016, 07:33 PM
Not a bad move to make for backup QB. Promise is there

Godfather
09-01-2016, 08:39 PM
I watched this guy at LSU. He's a bum.

Ten cent arm and ten cent head.

Edman
09-01-2016, 08:47 PM
Doesn't matter who the Steelers have at QB. If Ben goes down, they're in deep shit.

The Landry Jones experiment needs to end one way or another.

Godfather
09-01-2016, 09:35 PM
Doesn't matter who the Steelers have at QB. If Ben goes down, they're in deep shit.

The Landry Jones experiment needs to end one way or another.

Maybe. But Tennessee and San Diego decided he wasn't even good enough to hold a clipboard. And they're two of the worst teams in the league.

Shoes
09-01-2016, 09:55 PM
I thought Renner played pretty good.

pczach
09-02-2016, 05:34 AM
Maybe. But Tennessee and San Diego decided he wasn't even good enough to hold a clipboard. And they're two of the worst teams in the league.

It's not just that simple. There are contract and cap space issues involved in the decision. There are new players on the team, including Mariota in Tennessee.

There is also a reason teams are two of the worst in the league. Decision making is part of that. I'm not saying that Mettenberger is going to be a great quarterback, but this is a completely different situation in Pittsburgh with a franchise quarterback in place and no pressure to be the man.

He has also had some immaturity issues. All I'm saying is let's see where it goes before we decide he sucks.

steelreserve
09-02-2016, 10:47 AM
Look, the guy does not come in with the best pedigree in the world. But the bar to clear is - can he be better than Landry Jones? Now THERE'S a guy who sucks. We are not looking for our franchise QB of the future, just a guy who is the equivalent of eating Spam instead of eating dogshit. Can Mettenberger do that? Maybe! Maybe not. But we already know Jones is dogshit.

tube517
09-02-2016, 11:02 AM
Look, the guy does not come in with the best pedigree in the world. But the bar to clear is - can he be better than Landry Jones? Now THERE'S a guy who sucks. We are not looking for our franchise QB of the future, just a guy who is the equivalent of eating Spam instead of eating dogshit. Can Mettenberger do that? Maybe! Maybe not. But we already know Jones is dogshit.

Exactly. Let's all put this in perspective. We are looking for a 3rd string QB, with a possible shot at going for the backup QB position next year.

Landry is a free agent in 2017.

Let him compete with Yul Brynner or whatever the hell his name is and let's see how it goes.

polamalubeast
09-02-2016, 11:07 AM
Sometimes many expect too much for a backup.....You can't have 2 starter on the same team.And Charlie Batch was a good Backup for us.

GBMelBlount
09-02-2016, 11:23 AM
*Pulls up to the drive-thru*
"Yes, I'll have two Bergers, hold the Jones please"

:lol:

Yikes! Shouldn't you at least be dating a few months before you ask someone to hold the Jones?

pczach
09-02-2016, 12:35 PM
:l
Yikes! Shouldn't you at least be dating a few months before you ask someone to hold the Jones?

At least he didn't bring up the special sauce....

BlackAndGold
09-05-2016, 10:30 AM
He will wear #18

hawaiiansteeler
09-05-2016, 01:03 PM
He will wear #18

actually, Mettenberger has been looking so good in practice that he took Ben's #7 away from him...:wink02:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Crm415nWAAQdoXL.jpg