PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger Says Steelers’ Offense Will Be Up-Tempo In 2016

polamalubeast
08-27-2016, 11:27 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/08/roethlisberger-says-steelers-offense-will-tempo-2016/

I hope this is true.

tube517
08-27-2016, 11:28 AM
It can be done if they would lay off the weed and stay healthy

polamalubeast
08-27-2016, 11:30 AM
They run 40 plays on 15:00 minutes of time of possession in the first half yesterday.It was great!

teegre
08-27-2016, 12:40 PM
I see the season going a LOT like yesterday's preseason game: up by 14 after the first quarter, and then coast to a victory.

polamalubeast
08-27-2016, 12:42 PM
I see the season going a LOT like yesterday's preseason game: up by 14 after the first quarter, and then coast to a victory.

I hope that's true, since in the last few years,the Steelers have often been one of the worst offense in the first quarter.

SteelerFanInStl
08-27-2016, 12:53 PM

I'd love for that to happen. Far too many nail biters last season. I could do with a little less stress.

polamalubeast
08-27-2016, 05:44 PM
Last year, Roethlisberger had a QB rating of 111 in 119 pass attempts when the Steelers were on the no-huddle.

This is not required to be a hurry up offense, but the problems in the first quarter would be solved if the Steelers would start the games with the No-Huddle.

Psycho Ward 86
08-27-2016, 06:42 PM
this is long overdue. we should have been doing it more in the first place

Steeldude
08-27-2016, 07:23 PM
this is long overdue. we should have been doing it more in the first place

I will believe it when I see it.

LloydWoodson
08-28-2016, 01:40 PM
Uptempo offense puts more pressure on the defense. More possessions and plays for the other team too.

Are they trying to win games or show off?!??

polamalubeast
08-28-2016, 01:42 PM
Uptempo offense puts more pressure on the defense. More possessions and plays for the other team too.

And more possessions and plays for our offense too!

fansince'76
08-28-2016, 01:45 PM
I will believe it when I see it.

This. I don't think Haley's ego will allow it.

polamalubeast
08-28-2016, 01:48 PM

Injuries and Todd Haley are the only things who can stop the steelers offense.

At least,Haley let more freedom to Roethlisberger last year.

MrPgh
08-28-2016, 01:51 PM

Are they trying to win games or show off?!??

You think this team is capable of grinding out low-scoring wins each week?

polamalubeast
08-28-2016, 01:52 PM
You think this team is capable of grinding out low-scoring wins each week?

He miss the Cowherball.

tube517
08-28-2016, 02:00 PM

What ego? :chuckle:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i301/thadon71/10z3hxf.gif Not directed at you, FS76, but just showing what an asshat Haley can be :lol:

GBMelBlount
08-28-2016, 02:03 PM
The consensus seems to be that Ben performs best in a no huddle up tempo offense like was used agains the Saints.

I think part of the reason Ben does so well is because it increases the pressure and intensity and he thrives on that.

So as long as our defense does not sh*t the bed in the 4th quarter due to being on the field too long I see a lot of upside to this.

MrPgh
08-28-2016, 02:17 PM
He miss the Cowherball.

I saw the same username on another forum awhile back. He's one of those people that think the Steelers will be better off if they cut Ben and run the ball on every down.

tube517
08-28-2016, 02:18 PM
The consensus seems to be that Ben performs best in a no huddle up tempo offense like was used agains the Saints.

I think part of the reason Ben does so well is because it increases the pressure and intensity and he thrives on that.

So as long as our defense does not sh*t the bed in the 4th quarter due to being on the field too long I see a lot of upside to this.

He does well in the no huddle, definitely.

But, he has shown he can move the offense with the right offensive line and more control of the playbook, which Haley seems to have done.

I'm not a hater or fan of Haley but it seems like he's given Ben more freedom to make changes/audibles at the line.

But, all of this really clicked with Munchak coming in, getting a real backup RB and decent backup WRs (not stars but competent).

polamalubeast
08-28-2016, 02:25 PM
I saw the same username on another forum awhile back. He's one of those people that think the Steelers will be better off if they cut Ben and run the ball on every down.

He thinks that the fact that the Steelers are now a team offensive is the reason why the Steelers have not had many playoffs win since 2011, but the Steelers are an offensive team only since the mid-season in 2014 and the Steelers have been to the playoffs in the last two seasons after having two 8-8 season and yes the steelers have only one playoff win in his two seasons but the steelers have been unlucky with the injuries at the worst possible time.

Born2Steel
08-28-2016, 02:46 PM
The no huddle/hurry offense works for players like our offense. We can win most one on one battles and move the chains. There was another thread about a 30+pts a game plan for this season. Our RBs and WRs give Haley and the other coaches the ability to play fast. Similar, not exactly, to what Chip Kelly wanted to do in Philly, but he didn't have the players to run it like we do. Although I don't think this will be an all game long plan, or a game to game plan.

Mojouw
08-28-2016, 03:21 PM
Someone associated with the team basically says a version of this every single off-season for about the last 5 or 6.

Up-tempo, no huddle, push the pace, etc.

Then the season comes and reality sets in. It will be the same as it has been for the past two years or so. Situational football, high level of aggressive play-calls, and a few gambles.

polamalubeast
08-28-2016, 05:28 PM
If you score quickly,this is never a bad thing.The thing that can kills a defense is the 3 and out by a offense

Fortunately for the Steelers, they are one of the teams with the less than 3 and out in the nfl.

st33lersguy
08-28-2016, 05:33 PM
They really need to stick with the up-tempo offense, Ben does his best in that offense

polamalubeast
08-28-2016, 05:39 PM
They really need to stick with the up-tempo offense, Ben does his best in that offense

And I think this is possible that it happens.Last year Tomlin has stop to give importance of the time of possession.

Maybe it was Lebeau who wanted the offense remains on the field as long as possible ...

tube517
08-28-2016, 06:00 PM
And I think this is possible that it happens.Last year Tomlin has stop to give importance of the time of possession.

Maybe it was Lebeau who wanted the offense remains on the field as long as possible ...

That is correct, PB. Even Troy said the defense wasn't built to stay on the field for long periods of time

polamalubeast
08-28-2016, 06:03 PM
That is correct, PB. Even Troy said the defense wasn't built to stay on the field for long periods of time

I remember it.Sometimes the offense was too handcuffed.This is not the case now.

86WARD
08-28-2016, 06:26 PM
If the Steelers remain healthy on offense (and definitely if they had Bryant), Ben will set the record for most passing yards in a season...

MrPgh
08-28-2016, 06:50 PM

I don't think any defense wants to stay on the field for a long time. However, that's no excuse to handcuff an offense or take away their ability to quick strike.

polamalubeast
08-28-2016, 06:53 PM
I don't think any defense wants to stay on the field for a long time. However, that's no excuse to handcuff an offense or take away their ability to quick strike.

Agree.This is what which cost the job of Bruce Arians.Under Arians when the steelers needed to score, it was not a problem.But when the Steelers were ahead, they were handcuffed and it costed at least 5 games in 2009.

It almost cost the super bowl 43 too.

MrPgh
08-28-2016, 08:03 PM
Agree.This is what which cost the job of Bruce Arians.Under Arians when the steelers needed to score, it was not a problem.But when the Steelers were ahead, they were handcuffed and it costed at least 5 games in 2009.

It almost cost the super bowl 43 too.

I think regardless of how someone feels about Arians or Haley, it seemed like that the time the Steelers were trying to distract everyone away from the fact that the defense blew it against Tebow. "Don't look over here, look over there."

polamalubeast
08-28-2016, 08:18 PM
And in 2009, it was pathetic to blame our offense on the blown lead in the fourth quarter by the defense, since the Steelers were in the top 3 for the TOP.

They had 5 fourth quarter blowns lead in 2009 and it could have been worse.

fansince'76
08-28-2016, 08:23 PM
I think regardless of how someone feels about Arians or Haley, it seemed like that the time the Steelers were trying to distract everyone away from the fact that the defense blew it against Tebow. "Don't look over here, look over there."

Yep. I've long felt that while the blame was constantly heaped on Arians, it was often the "other" coordinator who actually deserved it. Funny how it was Arians that got canned after the Tebow wildcard debacle while the "other" coordinator stuck around another 3 years.

polamalubeast
08-28-2016, 08:34 PM
Yep. I've long felt that while the blame was constantly heaped on Arians, it was often the "other" coordinator that deserved it. Funny how it was Arians that got canned after the Tebow wildcard debacle while the "other" coordinator stuck around another 3 years.

And Arians almost lost his job after the 2009 season, even if the defense was responsible for the fact that the Steelers had missed the playoffs.

And as I said, this offense under Arians was handcuffed because the defense wanted to stay on the side lines as long as possible.

LloydWoodson
08-29-2016, 08:12 AM

Hahaha! That is one of the best straw men I have ever seen. Congrats I actually laughed.

My point is that last year the Steelers had 1,011 plays on offense and 1,055 plays on defense. It really doesn't matter if the tempo is faster when the other team gets the ball more than you do.

Steelers should continue to focus on increased red zone efficiency. That has always been a problem for Ben and the Steelers were 13th in red zone TD % last year at 57%.

Also, teams have been preparing for up tempo play since Chip Kelly started in the NFL. I doubt it will catch many off guard and Ben's success is in how well he executes plays not the "tempo" used.

LloydWoodson
08-29-2016, 08:26 AM
Usually the majority of the top rushing teams make the playoffs. Last year that wasn't true as only 5 of the top 10 rushing teams made the playoffs.

However, 9 of the top 10 scoring defenses made the playoffs. The NYJ being the only exception and they got very close.

Defense wins games. Steelers fans should know that better than anybody.

Mojouw
08-29-2016, 09:46 AM
Usually the majority of the top rushing teams make the playoffs. Last year that wasn't true as only 5 of the top 10 rushing teams made the playoffs.

However, 9 of the top 10 scoring defenses made the playoffs. The NYJ being the only exception and they got very close.

Top rushing teams have not been making the playoffs for many years now.

Of course defense is still an important component of winning.

But only one thing really matters at this point in the NFL - quarterback play. If you have a top tier QB, you have a chance of winning a championship. If you do not, you top out at 9-7 or so.

polamalubeast
08-29-2016, 10:10 AM

The top 3 offensive in points per game make the NFC/AFC title game last year and the 4th (Steelers) were very close despite the injury of Antonio Brown and of our running back....There are several way to win in the NFL.

LloydWoodson
08-29-2016, 10:11 AM
Denver just won a championship with literally the worst starting QB in the NFL.

That JUST happened. I get so tired of the "New NFL" rhetoric.

Seattle and Carolina are top rushing teams by yardage and play % every year and they combine it with strong defense. KC and Minnesota too and they have subpar QBs.

Teams that rack up huge passing yards include the Chargers, Aints, Lions, Falcons etc.

Of the top 11 passers Brady and Palmer were the only ones to make the playoffs last year (Cousins too for getting in on a technicality). Yes bad teams pass when they get behind. That doesn't change the fact that a correlation between passing offense and winning is nearly impossible to prove.

TD literally carried Elway's Broncos. Favre rode Reggie White's #1 defense to a ring. Marino never got one. Manning got carried by a good defense twice (that Colts D that beat the Bears allowed 244 ypg and 16 ppg in the playoffs and that includes 14 given up on return TDs to the Pats the D had nothing to do with). Giants beat the undefeated Pats. Seahawks destroyed the Broncos "best offense ever."

It goes on and on. Aikman is in the HOF for game management.

polamalubeast
08-29-2016, 10:16 AM

Seattle and Carolina are top rushing teams by yardage and play % every year and they combine it with strong defense. KC and Minnesota too and they have subpar QBs.

Teams that rack up huge passing yards include the Chargers, Aints, Lions, Falcons etc.

Of the top 11 passers Brady and Palmer were the only ones to make the playoffs last year (Cousins too for getting in on a technicality). Yes bad teams pass when they get behind. That doesn't change the fact that a correlation between passing offense and winning is nearly impossible to prove.

TD literally carried Elway's Broncos. Favre rode Reggie White's #1 defense to a ring. Marino never got one. Manning got carried by a good defense twice (that Colts D that beat the Bears allowed 244 ypg and 16 ppg in the playoffs and that includes 14 given up on return TDs to the Pats the D had nothing to do with). Giants beat the undefeated Pats. Seahawks destroyed the Broncos "best offense ever."

Saints won the super bowl with a great offense and average defense.The 2012 Ravens was great on offense in the playoffs and average on defense.Same for the 2011 Giants.There are several way to win in the NFL.It's very rare you win with a terrible offense like the Broncos last year.

But what you want is handcuffed this offense.

pczach
08-29-2016, 03:21 PM

And that great Bronco's defense that won the super bowl last year would have been run off the field and beaten into submission by this Steelers team if they were healthy in the playoffs last year. They had half the offense out injured, and they still outplayed the Broncos on the road.

This is what you seem to be missing. The very offense you appear to be railing against was the kryptonite to the defending world champions. Only injuries to the offense allowed Denver to advance past this team. The Broncos had no answer for the offensive talent the Steelers had in the regular season, and were outplayed and barely won at home in the playoffs by a team playing at about 30% on offense.

The bottom line is that the Steelers offense isn't the problem. The defense needs to improve some, but I think they're on the right track.

polamalubeast
08-29-2016, 03:28 PM

Among the super bowl champions, the seahawks in 2013 are the only team since 2010 that has been in the top 10 in rushing yards ...

The steelers offense is not the problem when they are healthy....

I do not understand why you want to handcuffs this offense by playing the cowherball.

MrPgh
08-30-2016, 06:08 PM
Maybe we should trade Ben for AP now. The Vikings get a QB to take over for Bridgewater going down for the season, and the Steelers are forced to play LloydWoodson's favorite style :)

Psycho Ward 86
08-30-2016, 06:51 PM

Are we really going to treat an anomaly like a pattern

polamalubeast
08-30-2016, 06:53 PM
Maybe we should trade Ben for AP now. The Vikings get a QB to take over for Bridgewater going down for the season, and the Steelers are forced to play LloydWoodson's favorite style :)

And trade Antonio Brown to the vikings too.

LloydWoodson
08-31-2016, 08:12 AM
The Steelers are 12-31 in games where Roethlisberger throws 40+ times. So... throw more?

The defense is mediocre. They need to be kept off the field as much as possible.

LloydWoodson
08-31-2016, 08:22 AM
Among the super bowl champions, the seahawks in 2013 are the only team since 2010 that has been in the top 10 in rushing yards ...

The steelers offense is not the problem when they are healthy....

I do not understand why you want to handcuffs this offense by playing the cowherball.

Giants in 2012 - 14th rushing 12th in passing
Ravens in 2013 - 31st rushing 19th in passing
Seahawks in 2014 - 1st rushing 28th in passing
Broncos in 2015 - 18th rushing 14th passing

None of the last 4 teams to win the Superbowl had a good passing game. You just made my point for me. Thanks.

polamalubeast
08-31-2016, 10:00 AM

None of the last 4 teams to win the Superbowl had a good passing game. You just made my point for me. Thanks.

Wrong year for the first 3 teams.The Giants won the super bowl in 2011,the ravens in 2012 and the seahawks in 2013.The patriots won also the super bowl in 2014.The Giants,the ravens(in the playoffs) and the patriots had a great passing game.

I not know if you're a troll or what.

Mojouw
08-31-2016, 10:05 AM

All but one of those teams was a better passing offense than a rushing offense. What exactly are you trying to argue for? I don't think anyone was saying that you should try to win a SB with some sort of 21st century run and shoot where you have no running game.

polamalubeast
08-31-2016, 10:12 AM
In 2011,The giants was 5th in passing,32nd in rushing
In 2012,the ravens was 15th in passing and 11th in rushing but the passing game was great in the playoffs
in 2013,the seahawks was 26th in passing and 4th in rushing
In 2014,the patriots was 9th in passing and 18th in rushing

try again

MrPgh
08-31-2016, 11:14 AM
The Steelers are 12-31 in games where Roethlisberger throws 40+ times. So... throw more?

The defense is mediocre. They need to be kept off the field as much as possible.

A stat that gets twisted out of context constantly. Can't run the ball and control the clock if you fall behind and if your defense can't stop anything.

polamalubeast
08-31-2016, 11:21 AM

This stats is so stupid, when you're behind, you can't run the ball.

Also, when the steelers had 6 games in a row with at least 30 points last year, Roethlisberger had 46 pass per game and at least 39 pass in each game.And the Steelers were 5-1 in his 6 games.

MrPgh
08-31-2016, 04:29 PM
This stats is so stupid, when you're behind, you can't run the ball.

Also, when the steelers had 6 games in a row with at least 30 points last year, Roethlisberger had 46 pass per game and at least 39 pass in each game.And the Steelers were 5-1 in his 6 games.

But if the Steelers would have run the ball every down on offense Blake wouldn't have single-handedly blown the game against Seattle! If Ben wasn't so selfish Blake would be a future HoFer! :)

polamalubeast
08-31-2016, 04:35 PM
And no matter what the offense does, the defense must return on the field after.

The defense can't be on the sidelines for the entire game.

86WARD
09-02-2016, 07:44 PM
It showed big time in the Saints game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

MrPgh
09-02-2016, 08:12 PM
All but one of those teams was a better passing offense than a rushing offense. What exactly are you trying to argue for? I don't think anyone was saying that you should try to win a SB with some sort of 21st century run and shoot where you have no running game.

He listed the seasons AFTER those teams won the Super Bowl (except Denver). He completely undermines the point he tries to make when you take into consideration the Giants missed the playoffs in 2012 and the Ravens missed the playoffs in 2013.