PDA

View Full Version : Keenan Lewis Visiting Steelers

Rotorhead
08-23-2016, 10:44 AM
As requested by a Mod, here is the new Keenan Lewis thread.

I think if he can heal up and not demand a bunch of money, why not. He is familiar with our system and at this point we could use some experienced depth (as long as he can actually play at least half the season).

polamalubeast
08-23-2016, 10:46 AM
I would be happy if it happens but Lewis needs to be healthy.....

polamalubeast
08-23-2016, 11:00 AM

steelreserve
08-23-2016, 11:20 AM
I thought he had some kind of nagging injury that was part of the reason for his release. If so, no thanks.

If it turns out that was bunk, I guess I wouldn't be opposed to having him on a cheap one-year contract, but I would not count on him for anything beyond mid-level depth, if that.

polamalubeast
08-23-2016, 11:22 AM
I thought he had some kind of nagging injury that was part of the reason for his release. If so, no thanks.

If it turns out that was bunk, I guess I wouldn't be opposed to having him on a cheap one-year contract, but I would not count on him for anything beyond mid-level depth, if that.

Dennis Allen, the defensive coach of the saints were also the reason why the Saints released him.

Born2Steel
08-23-2016, 11:23 AM
No. He is a sideline reporter at best now. Knee, Hip AND sports hernia TEARS. Not coming back at his age to compete this season.

Dwinsgames
08-23-2016, 11:54 AM
http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2016/8/11/12445816/saints-keenan-lewis-has-hip-adductor-strain-fox-8-reports

polamalubeast
08-23-2016, 12:26 PM

Born2Steel
08-23-2016, 02:41 PM
By Geoffrey C. Arnold | The Oregonian/OregonLive Closehttp://media.advance.net/avatars/13/35.png Follow on Twitter

Keenan Lewis' (http://www.oregonlive.com/nfl/index.ssf/2016/07/injury-plagued_new_orleans_sai.html) injuries proved to be his undoing in New Orleans.

The former Oregon State (http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/) star cornerback has struggled with injuries (http://www.oregonlive.com/nfl/index.ssf/2016/06/ex-oregon_state_cb_keenan_lewi.html) the past two seasons and the New Orleans Saints (http://stats.oregonlive.com/fb/teamstats.asp?teamno=18&type=teamhome) released Lewis Friday evening.

Lewis said goodbye to the Saints fans on a Instagram post Friday night.

I would like to thank New Orleans and all my fans. It's been and awesome journey. I'm glad I had the opportunity to play for the city I grew up in and love. Thank you and see y'all soon hope y'all still cheer for me..... (https://www.instagram.com/p/BJTx24nBd59/)
A photo posted by Keenan Lewis (@balllike21) on Aug 19, 2016 at 4:40pm PDT

Lewis, slowed by injuries during the past year, was limited to six games as he dealt with hip, knee and sports hernia injuries during the 2015 season. The injuries required multiple surgeries and he was still rehabbing from hip injuries going into the 2016 season. Lewis started training camp on the physically unable to perform list, and had participated in just one practice after suffering a strained adductor muscle in camp.

Lewis said during an interview on ESPN that he had a strained relationship (https://www.facebook.com/JosinaAndersonESPN/posts/1179292232127758) with new defensive coordinator Dennis Allen.
"We never got along since day one," Lewis told ESPN reporter Josina Anderson.
Saints coach Sean Payton said the decision was less about the relationship between Lewis and Allen and more about the uncertainty surrounding Lewis' availability that prompted the decision to release him.
"Just availability," Payton told reporters Saturday night. "Ultimately it was just trying to get him on the field. It 's just been it seems like a long time."
The 6-foot, 208-pound Lewis signed a five-year, $26.3 million contract with the Saints in 2013 after playing with the Pittsburgh Steelers the previous four seasons. A third-round pick (No. 96) in the 2009 NFL draft, Lewis appeared in all 16 games during the 2013 and 2014 seasons, posting a combined six interceptions and 88 tackles.

Rotorhead
08-23-2016, 03:00 PM
Well, I am sure they will give him a physical, if he checks out and can play for most of the season why not?

ALLD
08-23-2016, 03:18 PM
Ladarius Green.

st33lersguy
08-23-2016, 04:55 PM
If he checks out medically, why not for cheap?

steelcityboyz
08-23-2016, 05:30 PM
I know it's a business and all but Keenan couldn't wait to get out of here. With his injuries no thanks. i say play the younger guys.

Shoes
08-23-2016, 05:43 PM
No way, even if he does play he won't make it through the season or even a few games with his history.

polamalubeast
08-23-2016, 05:45 PM
No way, even if he does play he won't make it through the season or even a few games with his history.

I had heard the same thing about DeAngelo Williams before last season.

steelcityboyz
08-23-2016, 05:51 PM
I had heard the same thing about DeAngelo Williams before last season.All players are a gamble, but I have to go with shoes he ain't making it through the season.

Shoes
08-23-2016, 05:52 PM
I had heard the same thing about DeAngelo Williams before last season.

I don't believe Williams had hip or knee issues. Added to that is the attitude difference between the two

NCSteeler
08-24-2016, 01:04 AM
Word is we made him an offer , just waiting on an answer

Born2Steel
08-24-2016, 08:42 AM
I don't believe Williams had hip or knee issues. Added to that is the attitude difference between the two

Correct. Williams has had a history with his ankles. He broke his fibula on a cut in college and has had issues since. Usually that's what has sidelined him in the past.

Rotorhead
08-24-2016, 11:44 AM
Look, it is simple insurance (if he accepts and is healthy). He knows the system, is a veteran and we are 1 injury away from pulling someone else off the street to fill in; Will Allen at Safety and Davis at CB most likely how that would play out. Which is a better cheap insurance offer? And, he only left for NO because he is from there, grew up a Saints fan and it was his opportunity to have that dream come true. Do you blame him?

polamalubeast
08-24-2016, 12:02 PM

Craic
08-24-2016, 01:10 PM
I know it's a business and all but Keenan couldn't wait to get out of here. With his injuries no thanks. i say play the younger guys.Nope. As Rotorhead said, it was that he "couldn't wait to get out of here." It was that he had the chance to fulfill a dream and play for the hometown team. I don't blame him one bit for that. Good for him. If I remember right, he also took less money to play for them than some other teams. As for injuries—he probably will not be a starter, so I'm not so worried about injuries. On top of which, he'll now be playing half his games or more on regular grass, rather than that synthetic crap.

See above

Look, it is simple insurance (if he accepts and is healthy). He knows the system, is a veteran and we are 1 injury away from pulling someone else off the street to fill in; Will Allen at Safety and Davis at CB most likely how that would play out. Which is a better cheap insurance offer? And, he only left for NO because he is from there, grew up a Saints fan and it was his opportunity to have that dream come true. Do you blame him?
This is exactly my reasoning as well. On top of which, he has familiarity with the coaches and a few of the players as well. It puts veteran defensive leadership back in the lockerroom.

steelreserve
08-24-2016, 02:04 PM
Nope. As Rotorhead said, it was that he "couldn't wait to get out of here." It was that he had the chance to fulfill a dream and play for the hometown team. I don't blame him one bit for that. Good for him. If I remember right, he also took less money to play for them than some other teams. As for injuries—he probably will not be a starter, so I'm not so worried about injuries. On top of which, he'll now be playing half his games or more on regular grass, rather than that synthetic crap.

See above

This is exactly my reasoning as well. On top of which, he has familiarity with the coaches and a few of the players as well. It puts veteran defensive leadership back in the lockerroom.

I agree with basically everything you just said, except that one part. For some reason, we just have uncanny luck with the backup being unavailable due to injury, the new player who's supposed to step into a role being unable to do so because of injury, etc., etc.

The backup being injured is a big concern, for us at least. And when in inevitably happens, it's a real oh-shit moment because you THOUGHT you had a guy ready to play and now you don't, so you're scrambling to plug in some dingbat off the street. I doubt they keep stats on that, but we probably lead the league in the backup being injured before the starter.

Having said all that, at this point I don't know who is available that's more likely to be a better backup (for us) than Lewis. So if they're satisfied that the injury thing is not going to hinder him, I'll cross my fingers, I guess ...

Mojouw
08-24-2016, 02:27 PM
For the right dollars it is the BEST role of the dice that can be made now.

If healthy, Lewis is the most talented DB out there. Could be great insurance against the fact that Burns isn't ready, Golson is broken and has yet to play a down in the NFL, Davis really isn't a slot CB, the depth at CB is dudes that no one has heard of - should I go on?

How can adding a player who has proven that when healthy (here is the BIG question) can legitimately cover the big-time WR's in the NFL be a bad thing? Just don't guarantee much. I know I earlier expressed the thought that Lewis was too broken down to help, but really what other options does this team have at this point?

Psycho Ward 86
08-24-2016, 11:34 PM
forgot to add my 2 cents on one more aspect of this in the other closed thread, but for as good as Keenan was on the outside during his only season here as a starter, he was also a great nickel corner for us the year before on a #1 pass defense. he gives us flexibility that other options out there dont. Cockrell + Lewis on the outside with Gay in the slot? Cockrell + Gay on the outside with Lewis in the slot? Either one could work favorably

pczach
08-25-2016, 05:41 AM
If Lewis is getting healthy, and the Steelers can come to an agreement with him, they will have a proven NFL talent at CB that will improve the team and increase the overall strength and depth of the roster.

These are the types of signings that win super bowls for teams.

BlackAndGold
08-25-2016, 07:45 AM

Rotorhead
08-25-2016, 09:51 AM
Dam, well I guess we can see who else gets cut, the Cockrell pickup was not bad, maybe someone else shakes free on the cutdowns . . .

LloydWoodson
08-25-2016, 10:15 AM
Keenan was excellent with the Steelers. He didn't miss one game the 4 previous seasons to last year.

Hopefully he is healthy and can be signed to a reasonable contract.

I don't care that he left. It is a business. Can't blame a guy for going for money or going to his hometown or both.

Shoes
08-25-2016, 02:18 PM
Good news. Hopefully that shuts the door on this idea. Lewis said he was close to being 100%. Right!

Dwinsgames
08-26-2016, 02:08 AM
Keenan was excellent with the Steelers. He didn't miss one game the 4 previous seasons to last year.

that is not what I remember ...

first two years he struggled to see the field ( hard to get hurt when not playing much or at all )
once he got on the field he was on again off again from my memory always had some nagging little thing going on ... am I wrong ?? is my memory playing tricks on me ??

edit after checking ... you be the judge

http://www.nfl.com/player/keenanlewis/80658/careerstats

BlackAndGold
08-29-2016, 07:13 PM

Psycho Ward 86
08-29-2016, 10:46 PM

first two years he struggled to see the field ( hard to get hurt when not playing much or at all )
once he got on the field he was on again off again from my memory always had some nagging little thing going on ... am I wrong ?? is my memory playing tricks on me ??

"you be the judge"

that link clearly shows he didn't miss one game the 4 previous seasons to last year

Craic
08-30-2016, 01:13 AM

Nope, I think you might be crossing that up with him being a bit boneheaded early on in his career. I seem to remember a pretty stupid fight he had in a preseason game one time (but, like you, I fully admit my memory could be playing tricks on me with that one). His last year with us he really seems to settle in play very well, and was very consistent.