PDA

View Full Version : Cockrell's continued improvement at cornerback draws raves from Steelers

hawaiiansteeler
08-21-2016, 10:38 PM
Cockrell's continued improvement at cornerback draws raves from Steelers

Mark Kaboly | Sunday, Aug. 21, 2016

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=7$nAr 9yR5Fn4PcEJrKE_J8$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYtjbUupjkZITbZ MocmNHjjsWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

It has been nearly a year since the Steelers released 20 players to get down to the NFL-mandated 53-man roster for the start of the season.

Buried at the end of the transaction list that day was what appeared to be an addition most fans wouldn't have noticed.

It read, ‘Signed free agent CB Ross Cockrell.'

“It was like, ‘Hey, we got a new player,' ” safety Mike Mitchell said. “Then before you know it, he's in the starting lineup.”

A year later, Cockrell isn't getting bumped from that spot anytime soon.

The Steelers used a second-round pick last year on Senquez Golson and a first-round pick this year on Artie Burns to help solidify a suspect secondary. The two have been barely on the field for a practice, let alone play in a game.

Some of it is because of injuries. Some of it is because of the surprising emergence of Cockrell.

Cockrell was released by Buffalo during the first round of cuts a year ago. He had to wait around nearly a week before another team showed interest.

He's entrenched as the starter alongside William Gay and is the second-most experienced cornerback on the roster.

“I don't care by what means he got here,” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. “We liked him when he came out of Duke. He was a guy we thought had potential to be a good football player. He was available, he came in, he worked hard, he made some plays, and has been a positive contributor to our efforts.”

Cockrell played in every game except the season opener last year and logged nearly 700 snaps. Cockrell filled in when Cortez Allen went down after the first game, and then when Antwon Blake faltered at the end of the season.

Cockrell had a key interception in the end zone of a tied game against the Raiders, and picked up the Jeremy Hill fumble late during the wild-card victory over the Bengals. This was only months after no one wanted him — including the Bills, which invested a fourth-round pick on him in 2014.

“I was definitely shocked when I was cut and just had to wait for the next opportunity,” Cockrell said. “I decided if I got another opportunity that I would do things differently and work harder. I've come a long way. I am continuing to work hard and continue to believe in the process.”

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/10993418-74/com-cockrell-sports

pczach
08-22-2016, 05:20 AM
I think he's going to be a solid player for this team for years.

Hawkman
08-22-2016, 07:41 AM
I think he's going to be a solid player for this team for years.

Agree, not a Hall of Famer, but solid. A Townsend type.

LloydWoodson
08-22-2016, 07:58 AM
Wait... so Artie Burns isn't seeing the field? I don't watch preseason or care about it whatsoever... but that would be the time to get Burns more experience.

So Davis is looked at for slot corner and Burns isn't and he isn't looked at as an outside corner? What?!

Keep Davis at S exclusively. Let Burns compete to start at nickel. Golson is out again.

We all knew that Gay and Cockerell would start. Presumably Gay would be preferred at nickel. Nothing I've been reading about the usage of these young guys makes sense. It is very frustrating.

SteelerFanInStl
08-22-2016, 08:27 AM
Wait... so Artie Burns isn't seeing the field? I don't watch preseason or care about it whatsoever... but that would be the time to get Burns more experience.

So Davis is looked at for slot corner and Burns isn't and he isn't looked at as an outside corner? What?!

Keep Davis at S exclusively. Let Burns compete to start at nickel. Golson is out again.

We all knew that Gay and Cockerell would start. Presumably Gay would be preferred at nickel. Nothing I've been reading about the usage of these young guys makes sense. It is very frustrating.

Burns has been injured. That's why he's not playing.

tube517
08-22-2016, 05:04 PM
If Burns Toast sees the field in 2016 I will be surprised

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

LloydWoodson
08-23-2016, 08:41 AM
Burns has been injured. That's why he's not playing.

OK. He should be the slot corner year one.

Psycho Ward 86
08-23-2016, 09:55 PM
OK. He should be the slot corner year one.

why? thats not his strength at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree, not a Hall of Famer, but solid. A Townsend type.

If he can play at a Townsend level and Gay can keep playing as he has for the past couple seasons, itll be a huge boon for this defense

st33lersguy
08-24-2016, 03:07 PM
Cockrell played fairly well last year for a guy who was added after preseason and did not benefit from going through training camp with the team. I think Cockrell and Gay are capable players and can give time for Burns to develop