PDA

View Full Version : Le'Veon Bell didn't stop using drugs after his arrest

hawaiiansteeler
08-21-2016, 10:27 PM
Le'Veon Bell didn't stop using drugs after his arrest

By Ray Fittipaldo/Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
August 20, 2016

Le’Veon Bell posted a video on Twitter Friday. He apologized to fans for being suspended for the first three games of the season due to missing three drug tests within the past nine months. He also tried to explain why he missed those tests.

But in doing so, Bell gave Steelers fans and the organization that must decide if they want to keep him long-term ample reason to question his judgment. Bell states in the video that he hasn’t smoked marijuana since December of 2014.

Foot inserted in mouth.

That means Bell smoked marijuana at least once in the weeks after he was arrested for DUI and admitted to police that he smoked marijuana hours before the team was set to board a flight for a preseason game in Philadelphia in August 2014.

God forbid he would have stopped the day after he embarrassed himself and the Steelers organization.

Bell proudly stated that he hadn’t used drugs in a year and a half, but he opened up a whole new set of questions about his dependability. We can debate the stringent nature of the NFL’s drug policy and how it’s behind the times when it comes to the medicinal benefits of the drug. (I’m of the opinion that marijuana should be used as an alternative to prescription pain killers, which pose a far higher threat to the long-term well-being of players). However, when rules are place that have been collectively bargained and agreed upon by your union, you have to follow them.

Then there is the matter of Bell not answering questions truthfully. This happened in June when he was confronted by reporters with news of a report that he was going to be suspended. He said he never failed a test or missed a test. That turned out to be a bald-faced lie. He in fact did miss three tests, which he admitted to Friday. He doubled down on social media later in the summer when he said he wouldn’t be suspended at all.

On Tuesday, I asked Bell when his appeal would be heard. He told me nothing had been scheduled yet. Is it possible the league scheduled the appeal hearing later in the day Tuesday, Wednesday or even Thursday?

Perhaps, but not likely. Something tells me the NFL has far better planning than that.

After the past few months anyone has the right to question the veracity of everything that comes out of Bell’s mouth. That includes his teammates, who stood behind him. And most importantly, when it comes to his long-term future with the team, it includes the Steelers’ front office.

It’s possible – likely (I hope) – that Bell is more truthful with the Steelers’ front office. But Kevin Colbert’s statement Friday, while stating support for Bell, didn’t exactly foreshadow a new contract for the star running back.

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Steelers-Blog/2016/08/20/Le-Veon-Bell-didn-t-stop-using-drugs-after-his-August-2014-arrest/stories/201608200120

salamander
08-22-2016, 05:53 AM
:doh:

Steeldude
08-22-2016, 06:23 AM
It was expected.

Born2Steel
08-22-2016, 01:36 PM
If he truly hasn't used since Dec2014, that's actually good news. Now, if he could just start making those random tests, all would be well.

Devilsdancefloor
08-22-2016, 07:19 PM
I have a feeling he will be traded so they will get something for him. great gifted athlete but seems to have 0 common sense

Dwinsgames
08-23-2016, 12:12 AM
I have a feeling he will be traded so they will get something for him. great gifted athlete but seems to have 0 common sense

any trade would have to happen now basically ..not under contract next year

they could let him walk and obtain a comp selection if they do not sign more than they lose in free agency

- - - Updated - - -

If he truly hasn't used since Dec2014, that's actually good news. Now, if he could just start making those random tests, all would be well.

just not sure he is believable , he did lie to everyone over and over stating he never missed a test until he couldn't lie about it any more , so kind of makes it tough to believe him about anything else

Born2Steel
08-23-2016, 10:17 AM
any trade would have to happen now basically ..not under contract next year

they could let him walk and obtain a comp selection if they do not sign more than they lose in free agency

- - - Updated - - -

just not sure he is believable , he did lie to everyone over and over stating he never missed a test until he couldn't lie about it any more , so kind of makes it tough to believe him about anything else

Agreed. Thus the 'ifs'. :iagree: